Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2012 Ed.2: Introduction and meta-discussion  (Read 46916 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
+10

Half a year passed, a lot of new knowledge gained and many requests came from all of you, that means it's time for version 2.0 of the Dominion Card List(s).
Here's a link to the last one: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1134.0

What do you have to do?
If you like to contribute, send me a PM for one or the other list (or both) or fill in the respective online form.
Please be sure that you put each card in order and don't miss any.
Cards are only counted if they are kingdom cards, so no Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Potion, Estate, Duchy, Province, Colony, Curse and Prize Cards are allowed.

If you've submitted the last time, I will not take your last submission into account, but of course you can just tell me you want to re-submit your list
And if you didn't save your last submission and you need it, feel free to PM me and I will send it to you.

1.) The best cards of each price level

Best Cards
Just arrange the cards for your ranking with the best card going first and the worst on the last position.
If you want PM me, this list should be subdivided into several lists, containing:
16 $2 cards, 26 $3 cards, 43 $4 cards, 48 $5 cards, 14 >$6 cards, 10 Potion cards = 157

Usual disclaimer: This list should cause discussion not hassle. Of course it's difficult to compare some of the cards because pretty much every card has some situations where it shines and situations where it doesn't. This isn't a scientific list, just a compiled list of the community's opinion of the best cards.

Card List:
Code: [Select]
16 $2 cards
Cellar
Chapel
Moat
Courtyard
Pawn
Secret Chamber
Embargo
Haven
Lighthouse
Native Village
Pearl Diver
Herbalist
Hamlet
Crossroads
Duchess
Fool's Gold

26 $3 cards
Chancellor
Village
Woodcutter
Workshop
Great Hall
Masquerade
Shanty Town
Steward
Swindler
Wishing Well
Ambassador
Fishing Village
Lookout
Smugglers
Warehouse
Loan
Trade Route
Watchtower
Fortune Teller
Menagerie
Develop
Oasis
Oracle
Scheme
Tunnel
Black Market

43 $4 cards
Bureaucrat
Feast
Gardens
Militia
Moneylender
Remodel
Smithy
Spy
Thief
Throne Room
Baron
Bridge
Conspirator
Coppersmith
Ironworks
Mining Village
Scout
Caravan
Cutpurse
Island
Navigator
Pirate Ship
Salvager
Sea Hag
Treasure Map
Bishop
Monument
Quarry
Talisman
Worker's Village
Farming Village
Horse Traders
Remake
Tournament
Young Witch
Jack of all Trades
Noble Brigand
Nomad Camp
Silk Road
Spice Merchant
Trader
Envoy
Walled Village

48 $5 cards
Council Room
Festival
Laboratory
Library
Market
Mine
Witch
Duke
Minion
Saboteur
Torturer
Trading Post
Tribute
Upgrade
Bazaar
Explorer
Ghost Ship
Merchant Ship
Outpost
Tactician
Treasury
Wharf
Apprentice
City
Contraband
Counting House
Mint
Mountebank
Rabble
Royal Seal
Vault
Venture
Harvest
Horn of Plenty
Hunting Party
Jester
Cache
Cartographer
Embassy
Haggler
Highway
Ill-Gotten Gains
Inn
Mandarin
Margrave
Stables
Governor
Stash

14 >$6 cards
Adventurer
Harem
Nobles
Goons
Grand Market
Hoard
Fairgrounds
Border Village
Farmland
Bank
Expand
Forge
King's Court
Peddler

10 Potion cards
Transmute
Vineyard
Apothecary
Scrying Pool
University
Alchemist
Familiar
Philosopher's Stone
Golem
Possession

2.) The favourite cards

Favourite Cards (ordered version)
Favourite Cards (rating version)
You can rank the cards, based on whatever you like: strength/weakness, originality in design, fun and "no-fun" factor, whatever.
As very few voted last time because ordering 157 cards can be very painful, I included a second option to rate the cards. I used the finest rating which was available (0-10) but you can also use 0-5 or 10-5 as long as the highest value means that you like it more. You can also send me a PM with a rating from 0-20 or any scale you like. Or just arrange the cards for your ranking with the favourite card going first and the least favourite on the last position. No matter what version you choose, all 157 cards need to be in the list.

What else?
Submission deadline is the 30th of June 11:59pm UTC.
Each card will get points based on the rank. So your favourite card gets 157 points and your least favourite gets 1 point. This will result in a compiled list of all of your lists.
Then I will post the rankings in 10-15 card blocks from worst to best to raise the tension.
I will also add some statistic data like "Saboteur #11, highest rank #1 (2 times), lowest rank #98, standard deviation: 10.23" and this time also the comparism to the last voting.
And I will also update the comments to each card if necessary.

So I hope we can get even more submissions this time after so many of you contributed in December. I can't wait to get your submissions.

Edit:  Deadline change and re-submission

Results:
$2 cards
$3 cards (Part 1)
$3 cards (Part 2)
$4 cards (Part 1)
$4 cards (Part 2)
$4 cards (Part 3)
$5 cards (Part 1)
$5 cards (Part 2)
$5 cards (Part 3)
$5 cards (Part 4)
$6+ cards
Potion cost cards
Favourite cards
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:23:10 pm by Qvist »

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: THE Dominion Card List(s) 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:58:45 pm »
+1

I'd love to get the raw data for these rankings.  Maybe people can opt in to making them public?

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:02:17 pm »

I'd love to get the raw data for these rankings.  Maybe people can opt in to making them public?

I quick edit the online survey to add the option "Do you mind for making it public?"

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:05:19 pm »

Thanks.  I am also super okay with you doing the analysis first, and then releasing the public ones, so it doesn't ruin your scoop and the suspense it creates.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:09:54 pm »

Somehow I cannot edit the survey once I've opened it. I promise I will give you the raw data but without user names, ok?

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 06:10:27 pm »

Well, the user names are useful for the iso level..

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 06:11:39 pm »

btw I clicked on the 'rating option' for favorite cards and it said the survey was closed.

Also, could you send me my old ranking?

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 06:12:59 pm »
+1

btw I clicked on the 'rating option' for favorite cards and it said the survey was closed.

Also, could you send me my old ranking?
Sorry, I just tried to quick edit, but it didn't work. And I will send it to you. Give me a sec.

Well, the user names are useful for the iso level..

The iso level would be included, but at the time the data were submitted.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 06:13:14 pm »
+2

this is true.  I want my proper discredit for being of low rank.

Are we supposed to base ranking on fully random boards?  Yknow.  That setting me and another 10% of isotropic play where you click no to veto, and don't jump out of automatch queue when a card you dislike pops up.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:41:01 pm by popsofctown »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 06:27:23 pm »

I quick edit the online survey to add the option "Do you mind for making it public?"

This is a bit of a confusingly worded question. Does "No" mean I don't mind, or that I don't want it made public?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 06:32:04 pm »
+1

You should give people less time. No seriously.

The reason I bring this up is, ok, it's July 15th, but then it takes you a while to collate and to write up, and then... we all don't care anymore, because Dark Ages previews are poof and done. Also, I doubt it will take four weeks for anybody who wants to do this to do it. Two weeks should be sufficient? But the big thin is to have it wrapped up before Dark Ages leaks or even comes out and we all feel it's obsolete.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 06:38:06 pm »

This is a bit of a confusingly worded question. Does "No" mean I don't mind, or that I don't want it made public?

I see the problem, but as editing the surveys didn't work, there's no need to chance the wording. But you all can put in the feedback text box "I do/don't mind if my ranking gets published" or something like that.

this is true.  I want my proper discredit for being of low rank.

Are we supposed to base ranking on fully random boards?  Yknow.  That setting me and another 10% of isotropic play where you click no to veto, and don't jump out of automatch queue when a card you dislike pops up.

I honestly don't understand your question here. Try to order the cards from "most to least game changing" or simple from "best to worst" on an average board.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 06:46:57 pm »

The rules for Dominion do not specify any method of kingdom selection as default.  If the kingdom selection is Sea Hag + 9 random cards, trashers will be ranked highly.  More realistically, a large proportion of isotropic is playing veto mode, which is technically speaking just as much pure dominion as full random.  The rules say "players may use any mutually agreed method to pick the kingdom" or some such.

If you have people answering the survey based on playing in different environments, you'll get a mixed bag of results.  In my world, Explorer is a decent card because it counters Possession.  In a veto mode player's world, Explorer isn't often relevant in part because it can't do that.  In my mother's world, Tunnel is a trash 3$ because she doesn't let me put discard attacks on the board anymore..

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 06:57:32 pm »

The rules for Dominion do not specify any method of kingdom selection as default.  If the kingdom selection is Sea Hag + 9 random cards, trashers will be ranked highly.  More realistically, a large proportion of isotropic is playing veto mode, which is technically speaking just as much pure dominion as full random.  The rules say "players may use any mutually agreed method to pick the kingdom" or some such.

If you have people answering the survey based on playing in different environments, you'll get a mixed bag of results.  In my world, Explorer is a decent card because it counters Possession.  In a veto mode player's world, Explorer isn't often relevant in part because it can't do that.  In my mother's world, Tunnel is a trash 3$ because she doesn't let me put discard attacks on the board anymore..

Getting non-affected rankings isn't possible. Because everybody tends to vote by his play style (engine vs. BM). And the number of players will also influence the ratings. In the last rankings Pirate Ship and Jester ranked maybe a little too low, because many here in the forums play 2-player games. But the more will vote, the more objective it will get. So, just assume a fully random set with even a random number of opponents.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 07:00:44 pm »

definitely already submitted a 2 player list.

Sorry.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 07:02:36 pm »

This time I actually took the time and answered. Man, it was harder than I thought and took more time too. Who knew there were so many cards. :) It was really fun though, excited to see the lists and compare myself to the population.

edit: submitted a 2 player list too. never played any multiplayer, wouldnt make any sense to do it any other way.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 07:04:22 pm »

definitely already submitted a 2 player list.

Sorry.

This time I actually took the time and answered. Man, it was harder than I thought and took more time too. Who knew there were so many cards. :) It was really fun though, excited to see the lists and compare myself to the population.

edit: submitted a 2 player list too. never played any multiplayer, wouldnt make any sense to do it any other way.

Nevermind, I think most will do. You can only vote what you have experience with...

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 07:40:01 pm »
+4

Spent a bit more effort on it this time probably, but the bottom half of the 4 and 5 lists are still huge crapshoots. I find it too tough to come up with meaningful and consistent distinctions between many cards. "They're good sometimes", yup sounds about right.

I don't think you should take lists submitted last year into account here. That seems like it's counterproductive, isn't a big point of this to see how people currently value cards and/or how card evaluations have changed?

I don't think you should allow a month for this. Honestly, June 30 is on the late side if you ask me, even. Who here is going to look at this and be like "yeah I'm not doing it this week, but in 25 days I'll feel super up for it"?

I hope the results are published much much quicker this time around. I just feel like the list itself and subsequent discussion is what's interesting about this, not the little 3 sentence explanation "Chapel is good because it helps a lot of strategies; Saboteur is bad becuase it doesn't help a lot of strategies" type things. Isn't that what we have Articles for, after all? The mean/variance type stuff is kinda cool, but I'm guessing that's 5% of the work at most once you've compiled the lists?

Also interested in whatever rrenaud comes up with and would think it was cool if you gave him the names of those ranking too. If we're comfortable sharing it with you I bet we're comfortable sharing it with him.

Those are all the suggestions/feedback I can think of.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 08:18:17 pm »

Going to submit my rankings and fun ratings soon.

Just played a few games online to get my rank back to about where it should be (as I haven't played in a while so my uncertainty has creeped up a lot). Then proceeded to lose 4/5 games against lower level players on big money boards ¬_¬.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3387
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 08:23:07 pm »

Done. I don't have a record of my picks last year, but these are probably about 20% different, especially at the mid-to-upper $5s and Potion levels.

Editor's note: added spoiler tags

$2

Chapel
    Courtyard
    Fool’s Gold
    Hamlet
    Lighthouse
    Crossroads
    Pawn
    Haven
    Native Village
    Duchess
    Embargo
    Moat
    Cellar
    Pearl Diver
    Herbalist
    Secret Chamber

$3

Ambassador
    Masquerade
    Fishing Village
    Menagerie
    Warehouse
    Swindler
    Steward
    Tunnel
    Watchtower
    Oracle
    Scheme
    Smugglers
    Lookout
    Loan
    Village
    Oasis
    Great Hall
    Wishing Well
    Shanty Town
    Trade Route
    Black Market
    Fortune Teller
    Workshop
    Woodcutter
    Chancellor
    Develop

$4

Sea Hag
    Jack of All Trades
    Tournament
    Remake
    Monument
    Young Witch
    Salvager
    Bishop
    Militia
    Envoy
    Bridge
    Smithy
    Spice Merchant
    Caravan
    Moneylender
    Horse Traders
    Silk Road
    Worker’s Village
    Baron
    Mining Village
    Quarry
    Ironworks
    Gardens
    Conspirator
    Farming Village
    Island
    Cutpurse
    Throne Room
    Trader
    Nomad Camp
    Remodel
    Navigator
    Noble Brigand
    Bureaucrat
    Treasure Map
    Talisman
    Spy
    Walled Village
    Feast
    Pirate Ship
    Coppersmith
    Thief
    Scout

$5

Witch
    Mountebank
    Ill-Gotten Gains
    Wharf
    Hunting Party
    Minion
    Governor
    Torturer
    Tactician
    Embassy
    Ghost Ship
    Apprentice
    Haggler
    Margrave
    Vault
    Venture
    Duke
    Jester
    Rabble
    Festival
    Bazaar
    Laboratory
    Merchant Ship
    Stables
    Council Room
    Trading Post
    Highway
    Cartographer
    Upgrade
    Inn
    Market
    City
    Library
    Treasury
    Horn of Plenty
    Mint
    Tribute
    Royal Seal
    Explorer
    Cache
    Contraband
    Harvest
    Mandarin
    Stash
    Mine
    Outpost
    Counting House
    Saboteur

$6+

King’s Court
    Goons
    Grand Market
    Border Village
    Hoard
    Peddler
    Nobles
    Expand
    Bank
    Fairgrounds
    Forge
    Harem
    Farmland
    Adventurer

$Potion

Familiar
    Scrying Pool
    Golem
    Apothecary
    Vineyard
    University
    Alchemist
    Possession
    Philosopher’s Stone
    Transmute
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:14:04 am by rrenaud »
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 08:43:30 pm »

Don't think we should be publishing that just yet Robz, as it will influence people ranking. Feel free to post it in the "results" thread though, imo.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 09:02:18 pm »

sent my own. It'll be terrible, it's so hard to rank so many cards, but oh well. Now time to raise my ranking some so my list gets counted more!

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 11:55:41 pm »
+1

Thanks for doing these surveys. I've only started posting recently, but I've been lurking for a while, and I always enjoy reading the discussions. Have you considered doing a survey categorizing cards by type, rather than cost? In particular I'd like to see a best alternate vp card list, considering how difficult it is to compare them to actions and treasures.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 01:08:59 am »

Survey completed!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 03:25:13 am »

Survey completed.
My knowledge has hugely changed since the last time, but I still think victory cards are underrated, and I ranked Island 2nd and Duke 3rd in their respective lists.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 20 queries.