Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Qvist jumps on the bandwagon...  (Read 35361 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Qvist jumps on the bandwagon...
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:24:19 pm »
+4

Yeah, a lot of you now are streaming or have a YouTube channel. I considered that a while ago when WW started his Youtube channel.
I'm German, so my English isn't that great, but I try to achieve various things with recording my games:

1.) I can rewatch them on my own to see where I can improve.
2.) I tend to play better if there's some form of tension. If I play some random games on isotropic I usually try some fancy stuff with me ending up losing. In tournaments I mostly performed very well so far. I won all 4 games in IsoDom 5 so far with either 3-0 or 3-1 and in I was in the Top 32 in the 2011 DominionStrategy.com Championships. So I kinda force myself to play better because I know I record the game.
3.) Some of you can give me advice how to improve
4.) Maybe (I think that's unlikely) someone learns from me
5.) It's simply fun

So I really love to hear feedback, especially how horrible my English is and if anybody will keep watching my videos!?
Here's the video of IsoDom 5 which I also linked in the results thread:
But I think the commentary of my videos from today are already better... http://www.youtube.com/user/davqvist

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Qvist jumps on the bandwagon...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:45:56 pm »

(Not commenting on the actual games for now, though I will on future ones)

Your English is fine, though I'll point out any glaring mistakes if I see them ("I play against X" should be "I am/I'm playing against X").  Your accent's a great change from the usual Dominion videos.  Quality's great, although your mic has a little bit of popping from time to time.  That should improve some with practice.  I'm not sure, but you might want to boost the volume on your commentary a little. (In whatever program you are using, I mean)   

I find it very hard to record tournament matches myself. It breaks my concentration for one, and I also end up just narrating what I'm doing instead of describing why I'm doing it.  Obviously that matters less to people who aren't watching for strategy, but it's something to think about I guess.  I noticed it a lot in your tournament video, but if I'm being honest, I enjoy just watching the big games too.  One tip: When you check the score, the viewer often can't see it with your recording setup, so it helps to say the score out loud.

From what I've watched of the next video (not done) you do a much better job of commentating strategy/tactics in it.

If you want to get super nitpicky you can go in and edit out the lip smacks after some of your phrases, but it's totally not worth it in my opinion. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:56:25 pm »

Nice videos :)
Quality is good.
I have a few thoughts on the game play in game 002.
Turn 5 I think I would have trashed Silver, buy Silver.
Against scrying pool, spy, and jester, Silver is really good, having lots of average cards is better than a few good cards against spy like attacks I think.

Turn 14, steward buy seems weak to me. Silver or remodel or Estate are better I think.

Turn 17 should be estate

Turn 18 you correctly draw, to improve your next hand, as spy has left a Provence on top.

Turn 19, I think you could remodel, merchant ship into duchy, buy Estate.

Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 06:49:27 am »

Thanks for your feedback.

@jsh357:
On the tournament game I was still a little nervous, first because it was an important game and second it was the first recording. This resulted in worse English and less talk. I hope to get more relaxed in future videos. I will really try to explain what I'm doing and analyze the situation. I will fine-tune my audio, thx for the advice.

@Rabid:
Turn 5:
I only realized what he tried to do (spying a victory card on top of my deck to give me curses) after rewatching the game immediately after recording it.
So, yeah maybe more Silvers would be better, but I really wanted the Merchant Ship. It's still hard for me to compare difficult decisions (3 silvers against 1 Merchant Ship).

Turn 14: I don't think Estate would be better, it was still too early. I opted for Steward because of its flexibility in late game (trash curses, $2 like Silver, or draw).
Turn 17: Are you sure? I had still a big lead and definitely had another reshuffle. I want to end the game as fast as possible. He would come from behind if the game would go much longer.
Turn 18: Yeah, as I said above. Didn't pay enough attention to what he was doing. I'm glad that my gut feeling was right.
Turn 19: That's right, definitely a mistake here. My thought was to raise my chances to get to $8 to buy the important Province. And I calculated and knew that 7VP is enough of a lead. But I didn't took into account that he could give me a curse to break even.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:42:10 pm »

I just uploaded a few more games. I tried to turn the volume louder, but now I have some peaks. Is it better now?
I also tried to be more relaxed. I think it worked out although this results in often just naming the cards that I'm playing.
I made some pretty big mistakes in those games, although I won most of them. Like after I rewatched the KC+Scheme game I could have ended it earlier - I think - because there was a Haggler in play and exactly that Haggler could also give me Grand Markets with Coppers in play earlier. I totally forgot that. Please give feedback, especially on that Vineyard game (more Potions?, right decision anyway?).
And I really like to show some losses, but I wanted to upload a series of games I played earlier today, but I messed up the microphone settings. That was very unfortunate because there was one game I lost I really would like to have feedback. Another game I lost with good sound was a pretty boring BM game, so I didn't uploaded it. Losses will come in the future, I promise.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:55:15 pm »
+1

A minor thing, since this won't apply to me:  are there a lot of non-English speakers here who might be interested in videos in other languages?  I couldn't produce them (I'm trilingual:  English, Profanity, and Sarcasm) but Qvist might have a niche market here.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 11:03:14 pm »
+4

A minor thing, since this won't apply to me:  are there a lot of non-English speakers here who might be interested in videos in other languages?  I couldn't produce them (I'm trilingual:  English, Profanity, and Sarcasm) but Qvist might have a niche market here.

Many Dominion games are already in Profanity, e.g. games with Witch, IGG, Familiar, Sea Hag...

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 01:20:31 pm »

Hey Qvist, du sollst auch Videos auf Deutsch. Das wäre Klasse!

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 05:12:25 pm »

Sprichst du Deutsch, shraeye?
Ich habe noch einige Ideen für den Kanal, darunter sind auch deutsche Videos geplant. Da ich am Wochenende weg bin, versuche ich das am Montag hochzuladen. Meine Zielgruppe war nun vorerst einmal Englisch, da ich hier in einem englischsprachigen Forum bin und außerdem wollt ich erstmal testen wie es überhaupt ankommt.

I have still a few ideas for the channel and I will include German videos.
I'm not at home this weekend, but I try to upload the videos on Monday.
My target audience was English for now, since I'm here in an English-speaking forum and I wanted to test if the videos are liked in the first place.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 06:22:23 pm »

Sorry for the double post. Just some quick update.

I just uploaded two new videos for a new video series "Dominion for Beginners". You all aren't probably the main target audience because ... you mostly aren't any beginners anymore. First I intended to make that with real cards, but I have no good cam, so I made it on isotropic too. But I still hope you like it and I like to hear what you think.

Ich habe soeben zwei neue Videos für eine neue Videoserie "Dominion für Anfänger" hochgeladen. Ihr alle seid sicherlich nicht meine Hauptzielgruppe ... da ihr größtenteils keine Anfänger mehr seid. Zuerst wollte ich das mit echten Karten machen, aber ich habe keine gute Kamera, so habe ich das auch auf isotropic gemacht. Aber ich hoffe, es gefällt euch und ich würde gerne hören, was ihr davon haltet.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 06:43:50 am »

So far, I didn't post it here as for most of you it might not be too interesting but when I saw shraeye's comment, I thought I might make it public. ;-)

On youtube.com/user/lespeutere you'll find some games with German commentary. I've thought about commenting in English to achieve a bigger audience but then I sticked to the niche idea so far..

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 05:10:02 pm »

Not many videos from all of you in the last few days. I just uploaded my Quarterfinals game against Grujah/SpajderDzerusalem. So, check out my video channel.

@lespeutere: Ja, kannst gerne öfters was hochladen, schau deine Videos auch sehr gerne an.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:53:40 am »

In case anyone is wondering, since a few weeks I have problems with my internet accessibility as I just moved houses.
I will upload more videos, but it might take a few weeks.
Sorry for that.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 04:06:04 pm »

So, finally. After moving houses, I'm now online again. Time for some Dominion games after a long break in the next couple of days.
And I'm now uploading the games against Mr. Eevee that are waiting since 3 weeks. Enjoy them!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 06:00:16 pm »

So, finally. After moving houses, I'm now online again. Time for some Dominion games after a long break in the next couple of days.
And I'm now uploading the games against Mr. Eevee that are waiting since 3 weeks. Enjoy them!
I recall that wasn't pretty. Up for a rematch any time, can't go much worse!

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 03:07:03 am »

Game15: T13: You later made it better, and I'm definitely guilty of this myself, but trash Feast->Margrave before playing all Grand Markets let's you play it this turn.  It's really hard to get rid of the habit of playing all the Cantrips/Villages/Smithies before all other terminals
T16: 8xEstate ftw.  You even talked about it...

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 04:07:43 am »

Game15: T13: You later made it better, and I'm definitely guilty of this myself, but trash Feast->Margrave before playing all Grand Markets let's you play it this turn.  It's really hard to get rid of the habit of playing all the Cantrips/Villages/Smithies before all other terminals
T16: 8xEstate ftw.  You even talked about it...

Yeah, I noticed both on the rewatch. It's easy to get distracted. Not because I'm commenting, I'm even less concentrated when I'm just playing without commenting. That's terrible.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 09:23:48 pm »

Finally got some Goko Dominion games online. I started with the Adventure Mode and will hopefully upload some regular games soon.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 06:43:36 pm »
+2

Ok, time to upload some videos again. I just recorded 3 videos and I will try to upload 1 video a day. Let's see how long I can make this.

Here's the newest one: A Herbalist+Philosopher's Stone game in which I ignore Wharf, Laboratory, Ill-Gotten Gains.

Have fun.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 10:34:40 am »
+1

Two updates since I posted last. First, the second round of GokoDom videos went up, and also I added three games to the "Games with other YouTubers" list.

Qvist's videos didn't turn out so they aren't posted, but we're hoping to work with this different format. I'm hoping to take the best parts of my IRL-friends-games and combine it with the benefits of hearing both sides of the game. We're still getting used to it but any suggestions on how it can be improved are most certainly welcome.

After making these videos, I am convinced now that the best possible Dominion videos must contain conversation between the people playing the game.

So, we did this again and now we both managed to record.
We still have to figure out the details, but please give feedback if you like the format or if you have any improvements.
For example, I think I'm still a little low on voice in Adam's videos.

My point of view:
His point of view:

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 01:27:21 pm »
+1

So, we tried to put your suggestions into practice and did a video with Split Screen.

We don't know why the resolutions are different. The play area is 3:2 (Adam) and 4:3 (me).
The board wasn't not really the best for it as there was not Attack card so that the split view would benefit more.
But it's all about the basic idea and how you like it. Nothing really improved and finetuned. Just if you like it and if should make more of those!?

After that video we played 2 more games, have fun watching.
Adam's view of the other 2 games:

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 09:30:38 am »

After experimenting with Goko for a bit last night, I found that I was able to change the size of my Goko window based on how big my browser window is when I go to Goko's website. I'm able to make this window ENORMOUS if I want. With enough tweaking, though, it's theoretically possible for my window to be the same dimensions as Qvist's for when we're recording these videos.

Anyways,

I tried my hand at editing this video together. Be warned that this video is NOT polished, it's just a test. This was my first time using different video editing software and it was getting late. Just pretend the black areas have a still screenshot of what used to be there. Also pretend that I put a label over each one of our hands with whose hand it is (Qvist on the left, me on the right).

The purpose of this video was to explore different styles of layouts that may be good for this (also to see what I can do with this video editing software). My other idea is to include each player's play area at the bottom with their hand, but when I tried to come up with differences in what you'd see I couldn't think of anything; it's just nice to see people clicking their own buttons to better follow the flow of the game. In theory it's possible to switch play areas every turn, but let's be honest, unless I can find an extremely quick way to do that in editing, you'll only be seeing that if the reveal area (over the kingdom cards) is actually relevant to what's going on. I have a couple of ideas but I'm still not very good with this video editing software.

Good things about this:

- I feel like the game is a little easier to follow with just one play area
- It leaves space for a portion of the game log to be displayed
- Different resolutions of the Goko play window for each player result in a smaller effect. Only the hands look slightly different, and you can stretch the cards without making them look too terrible.
- The video files you end up with using this new software are much smaller, so they won't take several hours each to upload :)

Bad things about this:

- I want to find a way to incorporate the displays at the left of the screen. Maybe into the hands of each opponent. I dunno, though, the hands are already pretty wide and I haven't tried any games with big hand sizes.
- I worry that playing with some cards might break this format to where it's confusing. The only one I can think of is Possession, but that's confusing with Goko's interface anyways.
- The game log is displayed from one player's perspective. I'm pretty sure there's no way around this, and what differences are there between the two players' game logs anyways?
- Editing this type of video will always be more involved than something simpler like Qvist's test video.

I wonder what you all think about these formats. What are the things you care about? What are the priorities?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 08:30:06 am »

Second draft with a little more polish

I sort of spaced on the Game Over screen, I should just go back to the regular video at that point since there's no need for the split screen stuff anymore.

I may make another video with the double play areas to see how it looks. I'm starting to get more used to this software.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 08:26:40 am »

With two play areas. How do we feel about this setup?

I think I like it with one play area, but I'm not convinced either way.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 11:04:03 am »

I like the new video setup. I think the single play area + log is a little better than the two play areas, but both of them are huge improvements over the normal dueling video method of using two different recordings.

Adam, would it be possible for you to make a Quickstart Guide for how to splice the videos together, kind of like the guide someone wrote up a while ago about how to do YouTube recordings?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.