Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 75  All

Author Topic: Mafia XV - GAME OVER - TOWN WINS  (Read 161775 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XV - Day 1 - Spec QT available w/mini game
« Reply #175 on: November 08, 2012, 09:44:15 am »

@jo's earlier post

this is frustrating. being bossy makes me a less likeable person, i recognize, but i also think it's the better strategy in this particular case (as i thought in the case that you are referencing). on the other hand i think the reaction i am getting out of you and frisk is better explained by "jo and frisk don't like being told what to do" than it is explained by "jo and frisk are scum" (although i don't like how frisk is baiting ME to talk about theory). at the same time i really want to silence this discussion as i think this discussion is dead terrible for town. i hoped that policy voting would do that and it has had the opposite effect.  but i recognize that "i am thinking something, i won't tell you what i'm thinking, therefore OMG STOP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING" is an unreasonable thing to expect someone to obey. It seems like maybe Axxle gets what I was getting at before; I want to argue if you think hard about the theory you will agree with me that we don't want to talk about it, I don't think my logic is deluded.

analogy: in MVIII we narrowed down bunches of power roles for the mafia on day one because everyone said "what roles do i think will be in the game?" it seemed harmless at the time but it wasn't. this analogy isn't perfect, but it's what i'm getting at.

clarification: "chicken" in the last post is a mafia joke - it's from another game where it's slang for "yes." i am not calling Frisk a coward ("chicken" is children's slang in america for coward)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 08, 2012, 09:46:36 am »

The only reason I'm not voting for you, ehunt, is that I had this same interaction with you on another day 1 (which is ongoing and we're both alive, so I shouldn't say more.)

Suffice it to say, it's very possible that attempting to rule the town with an iron fist is something you do as town. But it does drive me up the wall.

It's absolutely something he does as town, which means he would do it as mafia to not break character.

i was accused of doing this in MXI (ongoing, can't be discussed) but never before, as far as I know. If I were mafia I would absolutely be talking theory right now and talking it hard and encouraging everyone to talk it, which would also be perceived as "not breaking character" and, more importantly, would be extremely helpful to my wincon.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 08, 2012, 09:52:05 am »

I'll stop, but I think you're over-reacting.

Vote: Galzria because he should already be dead if town.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 08, 2012, 10:26:38 am »

Sorry ehunt, your reading is off today!

Do you disagree with my assessment that the SK wants as many town PRs on as possible?

chicken.

unvote because i am being a little bit ridiculous

but

i strongly want us to not talk about this anymore.

I really don't get what you all are talking about. So you do really suggest that we all should shut up?
I don't know the game enough, it could really make sense what you are saying and Axxle agrees with you, so fine.
But, what should we do? Keep random voting? I guess, just wait until Mafia makes an error?

So I am back... hello all, especially to Qvist who I haven't yet had the opportunity to play with. To whom I say: "Hallo. Willkommen in diesem wunderbaren Spiel, dass wir nennen Mafia. Hoffe es gefällt euch so viel wie wir es tun! Sind Sie mafia? Haben Sie zu töten Robz?" - partially from my 8th grade German class and google translate.

Wow, Google Translate is horrible. I know it, but I'm again and again surprised by it. But, no I haven't killed Robz, have you?
Vote: yuma for hiding his accusation in German.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2012, 11:02:06 am »

Day1 of any mafia game tends to be pretty slow. ehunt wants to banish all theory talk regarding the power role switches because he feels it would help mafia more than town.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 08, 2012, 12:01:48 pm »

Actually Frisk's theory talk did accomplish something. Imagine our SK had no idea what he was doing. Frisk just gave him a tip that will help him meet his wincon and also help town a lot.

After all, we NEED the SK to flip some switches, otherwise the mafia run the PR show.
That's not the point.  The point is that Frisk himself didn't think it was useful.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2012, 12:09:56 pm »

what good did this theory discussion do?
Nithing, but it isn't anti town
Actually Frisk's theory talk did accomplish something. Imagine our SK had no idea what he was doing. Frisk just gave him a tip that will help him meet his wincon and also help town a lot.

After all, we NEED the SK to flip some switches, otherwise the mafia run the PR show.
I absolutely want the sk flipping those switches. Vote eHunt for not getting that.

Frisk either doesn't explain what he's trying to do, or genuinely thinks his post was worthless and latches on to Joth's reasoning.

Either way it's INCREDIBLY scummy to vote for eHunt for not getting something you don't explain when you're asked. (or fake vote, or call for voting, or something. I can't quite get what he's doing here with the non bolded vote)

Vote: Captain_Frisk
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 08, 2012, 12:17:19 pm »

Axxle - i was already voting ehunt.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2012, 12:20:02 pm »

I am still comfortable defending ehunt.  Yes it is possible that he could post something saying he found something anti-town just to gain town cred.  However, he comes off as very genuine to me and his continued dedication to keeping everyone quiet reinforces that assessment.  If he was just scum trying to gain town cred, he would still have a lot to gain by allowing the discussion to actually happen once it starts.  With town having 0 control over the switch WIFOM, there is no point in determining what is "best for town" as it can only help scum.

vote: captain_frisk

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2012, 12:22:00 pm »

Here comes the wagon!

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2012, 12:52:20 pm »

I will abide by ehunt's ban on theory talk for the moment, because I think this is an unproductive town on town fight, at least as far as ehunt and I are concerned.  I could be wrong of course.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2012, 02:55:15 pm »

Galzria - you're back -

When you're here - could you weigh in on the eHunt vs. Captain_Frisk debate of 2012?

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2012, 03:00:22 pm »

Vote Count 1-3

Jotheonah (1) - Eevee
Captain_Frisk (3) - Ashersky, Axxle, TheMunch
Eevee (1) - yuma
Galzria (1) - Captain_Frisk
yuma (1) - Qvist

Not Voting (4) - jotheonah, Grujah, Galzria, eHunt

With 11 alive it takes 6 to lynch

Deadline: Tuesday November 20, 2012. 7:30am PST (10:30am forum time)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2012, 03:30:11 pm »

I would also be very curious to hear from Mr. Eevee on this subject.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 08, 2012, 04:00:25 pm »

With town having 0 control over the switch WIFOM, there is no point in determining what is "best for town" as it can only help scum.

Completely agree with this statement, which reads very town to me. 

I would note also that I originally voted Frisk for the deflect to Galz, which clearly didn't work, but seems like a scum play to me.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 08, 2012, 04:22:09 pm »

With town having 0 control over the switch WIFOM, there is no point in determining what is "best for town" as it can only help scum.

Completely agree with this statement, which reads very town to me. 

I would note also that I originally voted Frisk for the deflect to Galz, which clearly didn't work, but seems like a scum play to me.

What deflect to Galz?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 08, 2012, 04:25:42 pm »

I would also be very curious to hear from Mr. Eevee on this subject.
ehunt read very genuine to me on a gut level. i dont know. could be town on town, nothing either of you did looks particularly scummy to me. the whole issue seems pretty much fluff to me in that i dont see anything that would help us determine any alignments there.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 08, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »

Galzria - you're back -

When you're here - could you weigh in on the eHunt vs. Captain_Frisk debate of 2012?

Going to grab a late lunch (Just woke up, still groggy from the last three days), then sitting down to officially start reading.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2012, 07:20:25 pm »

Caught up!

First, Frisk's vote on me for "defending my lurking":

Bull****.

Second, Frisk's vote on me for "Not dying":

Actually, I don't have a good answer for you. Ask scum. I would suspect it has to do with another ongoing game that I can't talk about though. I'm in a bit of a lull since being wiped out of M-XI.

Third, Frisk's accusation that I would've killed Robz:

Holy smokes are you tunneling Frisk. But this is ridiculous. I'm the person who, in M-II, made the call to kill Bozzball, a serial lurker who was quite honestly not even playing at that point. Why? Because as scum I'm MUCH better at applying WIFOM to "Scum Galz would've killed the strong players". Basically, if I were scum, I would be focused on the weak, quiet players, while keeping the strong talkative ones alive so that I could blend in. My meta says that I post. A lot. Do you really think scum Galz wants a crowd of quiet people around him? I would draw so much effing attention to myself it's ridiculous.

Moving on...:

I absolutely 100% agree with eHunt that we shouldn't be talking theory here. Our PR's are going to do what they can, but what that is exactly is dictated by scum. The last thing we want to do is solve the switch problem for scum. Unfortunately, this thread and this community isn't filled with idiots. Simply saying "There's relevant theory" is enough to make people think, and if they're thinking, they'll figure it out - scum OR town.

My suspicion then is that the damage is done. However, if it's NOT, there's no reason to keep blabbing. Town can't change anything. They've no input and no impact. So there is no optimal town strategy, only optimal scum strategy.

With that all said, I don't find the back and forth between Frisk and eHunt all that scummy. Frisk is a bit strong headed at times (See: Him tunneling me above), and once he gets something in his head he keeps pushing it. Sometimes he's right (See: BMMMMM, where his sixth sense knew I was scum and on which night to track both ftl and myself), but often he's wrong. In this case, I don't think it's a matter of being right OR wrong, it's just him not liking being told what he can or cannot do. And a threat of a policy vote is only going to push Frisk's buttons more.

I *generally* get a townie vibe from Frisk so far, for mainly two reasons. The first is the above discussion. The second is the lack of lurking and stronger involvement. As far back as I can really recall, this has been a definition of Frisk's meta's. While he's capable of lurking as town, I don't KNOW that he's capable of NOT lurking as scum.

eHunt I'm kinda neutral on. I don't give town cred for basically starting the theory talk then trying to back away. That's certainly something somebody from either faction is capable of. I DO get an ever-so-slight scum vibe like he's trying to keep the talk relevant while trying to appear as being against it... But I don't know. That's a weird gut read and nothing substantial.

Joth stands out to me a bit, especially his "I'll respect eHunt's request to not talk about theory" - AFTER having pushed it a little bit, and AFTER seeing the consequences and heat that it's drawn CF. It felt a bit like... "Oh, looks like I should stay out of this" kind of reaction. A little bit forced and disingenuous. Still, early D1, it's not exactly a strong read.

On the flip side, Axxle's (GO UPDATE THE COSMIC THREADS <3) very quick backing of eHunt also stood out in that... I don't know. It just felt like he had some inside information already, knew what eHunt was on about, and felt he could snag some town cred by being all pro-town and backing eHunt's "let's not give scum more information" statement.

I need to reread some other players, but that's all that stuck out to me. I really want to OMGUS vote Frisk, but I honestly get a slight town read, even through his massive tunneling. Plus, you know, he has a wagon that I don't really feel like climbing aboard.

Going to update other threads. Will reread more here later.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 08, 2012, 07:33:50 pm »

Caught up!

Bull****.

Actually, I don't have a good answer for you. Ask scum. I would suspect it has to do with another ongoing game that I can't talk about though. I'm in a bit of a lull since being wiped out of M-XI.

Holy smokes are you tunneling Frisk. But this is ridiculous. I'm the person who, in M-II, made the call to kill Bozzball, a serial lurker who was quite honestly not even playing at that point. Why? Because as scum I'm MUCH better at applying WIFOM to "Scum Galz would've killed the strong players". Basically, if I were scum, I would be focused on the weak, quiet players, while keeping the strong talkative ones alive so that I could blend in. My meta says that I post. A lot. Do you really think scum Galz wants a crowd of quiet people around him? I would draw so much effing attention to myself it's ridiculous.

This deflection...
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 08, 2012, 07:44:00 pm »

Caught up!

Bull****.

This deflection...

Because I should just ignore it instead of resounding...? Riiight.

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 08, 2012, 07:44:22 pm »

Responding*

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 08, 2012, 07:57:17 pm »

Is Frisk scum?

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 08, 2012, 07:59:27 pm »

Is Frisk scum?
Nevermind, missed a paragraph.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 08, 2012, 08:00:37 pm »

Is Frisk scum?

No clue. But he's got +2 townie points when I compare this Frisk to the Frisk of the last 1001* games.

* - Figurative, not literal.

Mafia Record:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 75  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 17 queries.