Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Dominion Strategy 2012 Champs?  (Read 37530 times)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Strategy 2012 Champs?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 02:44:36 pm »

Doing a full 512 tournament would be pretty big.  But if interest is high enough that the 240+16 spots fill up fast, perhaps some out of the original 256 could also be reserved as qualifier spots.  One could take 20-40 spots and hold a 1 round qualifier for the 40-80 people with the lowest rankings.  The qualifiers could be extended to mroe rounds, but it seems like there's a lot of rounds going on already.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 02:55:47 pm »

here's an idea that doesn't have anything to do with how the tournament is going to run. perhaps have the kingdom design winner have their kingdom played in the final match of the tournament)? this would be in addition to whatever prize they might win for being a winner of the kingdom design contest. i can totally understand if people don't think this is a good idea to have a non-randomly selected kingdom, especially in the final match. in dominion, sometimes you just get a boring kingdom, and that's the way it is. i guess the pro's would be more incentive to enter the kingdom design challenge, a guaranteed interesting kingdom in the finals as well as expert level analysis of a kingdom with multiple ways to play it, and then the world gets to see what strategy wins out. like i said before, i understand why people might not like this idea but i think it is worth considering.

What we did last year, and what we will do this year, is that we pick 7 finalists and those 7 get to be in the final.  Then we vote on which one is the winner.

oops, i dont think i was clear enough on what i was suggesting. what i was trying to say, was that the winning kingdom of the Kingdom Design Contest is used in one of the games in the final round of the 2012 Dominion Strategy Championships. refer back to my previous post for my thoughts on this idea
Go, and do likewise.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 03:02:11 pm »
+1

here's an idea that doesn't have anything to do with how the tournament is going to run. perhaps have the kingdom design winner have their kingdom played in the final match of the tournament)? this would be in addition to whatever prize they might win for being a winner of the kingdom design contest. i can totally understand if people don't think this is a good idea to have a non-randomly selected kingdom, especially in the final match. in dominion, sometimes you just get a boring kingdom, and that's the way it is. i guess the pro's would be more incentive to enter the kingdom design challenge, a guaranteed interesting kingdom in the finals as well as expert level analysis of a kingdom with multiple ways to play it, and then the world gets to see what strategy wins out. like i said before, i understand why people might not like this idea but i think it is worth considering.

What we did last year, and what we will do this year, is that we pick 7 finalists and those 7 get to be in the final.  Then we vote on which one is the winner.

oops, i dont think i was clear enough on what i was suggesting. what i was trying to say, was that the winning kingdom of the Kingdom Design Contest is used in one of the games in the final round of the 2012 Dominion Strategy Championships. refer back to my previous post for my thoughts on this idea

I think we are talking past each other.  The KDC gets narrowed down to 7 by me (maybe rrenaud, maybe other volunteers), and then those 7 are played in the DSC, and THEN we choose the KDC winner. Which is even more than what you're suggesting, and I'd rather have the whole finals be KDC finalists instead of one random game being a KDC winner.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 03:04:39 pm »

you can see the winners from last year here and you can find them on the wiki here.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 03:07:21 pm »

The KDC was a great addition to the final.  It gave us lobby spectators an interesting set to discuss rather than "hmmm, Mountebank it is."  And it also ensured high-skill kingdoms that did a fantastic job on determining the winner.  I would love to see this implemented again.

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 03:15:40 pm »

I think we are talking past each other.  The KDC gets narrowed down to 7 by me (maybe rrenaud, maybe other volunteers), and then those 7 are played in the DSC, and THEN we choose the KDC winner. Which is even more than what you're suggesting, and I'd rather have the whole finals be KDC finalists instead of one random game being a KDC winner.

oh my bad, I understand now. I wasn't in the tourney last year so I didn't know that was already implemented. that's awesome to know that all 7 kingdoms will be used!
Go, and do likewise.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 03:25:03 pm »

So if Goko launches (taking Iso down) during this tourney we either have to have a plan to finish, speed it way up (probably unreasonable) or move to goko?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 03:36:46 pm »

I hate to bring this pink elephant in the room up, but the point counter debate should probably be had sooner rather than later too.  We all know how that's ended up in the past.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 03:43:33 pm »

So if Goko launches (taking Iso down) during this tourney we either have to have a plan to finish, speed it way up (probably unreasonable) or move to goko?

i already messaged goko about it, so we might be able to get some insight. changes to the tournament would likely depend on when the launch/shut down occurs. speeding up or moving are more feasible in the last round or three, much less so early on.

I hate to bring this pink elephant in the room up, but the point counter debate should probably be had sooner rather than later too.  We all know how that's ended up in the past.

we have the benefit this time of being able to have an explicit ruling on this issue up front. we can of course try to be as flexible as possible with it, but if people take issue they can just pass on playing. there were not many people who were too hardcore in their views either way, and i don't see us having any trouble at all filling 256 spots should some people choose to sit out.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2012, 03:44:06 pm »
+8

Lets greatexpectations and jonts decide the rules and if you want to play in the tourney, you must follow their decree.  IMO, that is the simplest way.  If you don't agree, you don't have to play.  I have my own personal opinion, but to make this process the easiest and least painful it would be best if everyone went with what the admins decide.  Regardless of what they choose, some people will not be happy.  If they want to make a poll to see the popular option, I'm fine with that.  I just think that a firm stance must be made that all must adhere to it.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 03:51:59 pm »

Lets greatexpectations and jonts decide the rules and if you want to play in the tourney, you must follow their decree.  IMO, that is the simplest way.  If you don't agree, you don't have to play.  I have my own personal opinion, but to make this process the easiest and least painful it would be best if everyone went with what the admins decide.  Regardless of what they choose, some people will not be happy.  If they want to make a poll to see the popular option, I'm fine with that.  I just think that a firm stance must be made that all must adhere to it.

yup, i mentioned earlier that we would go to the community and make a poll on any decision that could be divisive. i don't think that me or jonts26 have any agenda here, and what we make up is going to get passed by theory anyway.

but we can always just echo the rules from last year and allow whatever variations people like if both sides consent, regardless what the official default rules are.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 03:56:18 pm »
+3

Prizes will be in gokoins. 8)
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 04:01:06 pm »
+1

Prizes will be in gokoins. 8)

Haha, actually the winner will be offered a job as lead developer of Goko.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 02:16:12 am »

Let me just say this: Banning it is pretty meaningless.

You can edit the source code and have it not print any output to the chat.
That way you could never tell if someone was using the Chrome PCE.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 02:32:43 am »

Do you really have such a low opinion of the f.ds community that even when told "Don't do this, it's against the rules of this tournament" people will do it anyway? And go through the difficulty of modifying source code of an extension to cheat?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 02:45:18 am »
+1

Do you really have such a low opinion of the f.ds community that even when told "Don't do this, it's against the rules of this tournament" people will do it anyway? And go through the difficulty of modifying source code of an extension to cheat?
*cough* *cough* *cough* *cough*

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 03:26:03 am »

I don't actually, I'm just saying, it's possible and it's undetectable.
As undetectable as a person using pen and paper.
Are you going to say to him: Don't use pen and paper, it's evil!

But I've stated my opinion on the matter over and over in the other topic, so I won't keep repeating it here.

All I'm saying is: Banning the PCE outright creates a false sense of security.
When the PCE is banned and people respect this ban and don't use it, it doesn't mean people won't use something else to get an advantage.

At least the cat is out of the bag now and we all know PCE tracks deck contents as well as just points.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 12:00:51 pm »

there will always be a couple bad apples out there. and you also need to remember that this tournament will likely attract a number of people who aren't quite forum regulars. we can't make any real statements about their expected behavior.

the reality is that we are going to get a couple unhappy people making sarcastic comments no matter what gets decided.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 12:30:25 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:52:31 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 12:39:47 pm »
+1

I think limiting the number of signups isn't really necessary. Just let it go to whatever it wants to be, and then once it reaches deadline, fill in gaps with a number of byes (who essentially are the lowest seeded players), then call the first round a preliminary, if you want.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2012, 04:38:08 pm »

I think byes would be fine.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 05:20:15 pm »

I think limiting the number of signups isn't really necessary. Just let it go to whatever it wants to be, and then once it reaches deadline, fill in gaps with a number of byes (who essentially are the lowest seeded players), then call the first round a preliminary, if you want.

The only reason to limit it is for the sake of tournament length.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 05:24:48 pm »

Eh.  Each doubling adds one week tops.  I don't think we'll make it to 1024.  But at some point it's not just time, it's logistics for the people setting up the brackets.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2012, 03:46:22 am »

Eh.  Each doubling adds one week tops.  I don't think we'll make it to 1024.  But at some point it's not just time, it's logistics for the people setting up the brackets.

That is a lot of work.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 03:48:43 pm »

I'd be very much interested in this again, even if I have been rather busy as of late. 

I stumbled upon this by accident.  I think this post should be moved (or duplicated?) to general discussions to garner more attention for the time being.  I would think there would be a lot more discussion/activity for a topic which wants to have a couple hundred entrants.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 20 queries.