Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: An attempt to determine what kind of behavior is badmanner and what isn't  (Read 50857 times)

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1403
    • View Profile
Re: An attempt to determine what kind of behavior is badmanner and what isn't
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2014, 01:43:26 pm »
+2

I recently had someone say 'gg' on their last turn, when I was clearly going to win on the next turn.  And then... they didn't end their turn.  They just sat there for a minute and then said 'I'm not doing anything until you say "gg"'

I thought, what the hell?  I haven't typed "gg" to anyone since I was like 13 and playing Counterstrike, not about to begin now.

So anyway, I informed him of this and he had the good sense to say "sorry" and move on.
My opponent has more loot than me

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2014, 01:47:33 pm »
+4

A wise man once said "A gg by either enforcement or habit conveys nothing."

(Naah only joking, I said it...)
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2014, 02:08:21 pm »

The only think I don't like is when someone says gg and lefts and I can not say gg to him as well.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2014, 02:55:34 pm »

If you're saying that there are people in this thread who "can't handle" "gg" in the sense of mental illness, I disagree.  There are people here who find it rude and don't like it, which is hardly the same thing.  One does not simply cater to people who find your behavior unpleasant.

Care to support your assertion? Not a single person, ever has a mental pathology that causes him to behave with unsportsmanlike conduct?
So I'm re-reading SCSN's post with a slightly different eye.  He writes about people who "can't handle it" and are "maladjusted" - I picked the former phrase out of your post which was probably a bit unfair of me.  These terms do sometimes describe mental illness, but I think he's just referring to "ordinary distress" rather than mental illness. 

I basically agree with his sentiment that if you're upset at me for trying to be polite (as in this case, by saying "gg"), well, I can't really be expected to know that in advance or avoid the politeness in general.*  Certainly no one in this thread looks ill to my untrained eye, and while I've seen some childish behavior on Goko (and Iso), but this is certainly not the kind of thing that warrants special treatment. 

Put another way, I don't see why a relatively rare preference against "gg" counts more than a more common preference for it.  Harm is done to the group as whole when simple politeness is made testy, but that harm may be outweighed by disproportionate harm done to the rarer dislikers.  I don't see evidence of this.

There are many cases where one caters to the person who finds your behavior unpleasant or one is an asshole.  For example, if you're writing a blog post, there are certain topics where it is appropriate to put "trigger warning" because a large fraction of people is going to be especially sensitive and insensitivity to their needs is gross negligence.  A legitimate disagreement about what's appropriate doesn't seem to one of those cases.

*Intention of politeness is not a magic balm that excuses any behavior, but in this case, the "gg" convention seems like a generally positive thing.  I could be swayed from this position, fwiw, but arguments I have seen have not been convincing.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2014, 03:35:39 pm »
+7

you are even trying to have your posts in this very thread be recognized as something superior to mine, by having better grammar, be it deliberately or unconsciously.

Uhh, what?  Are you seriously complaining that someone used proper grammar?  Why in the world would you take that as something malicious?  Should people deliberately use poor grammar in order to appear more humble?

My opinion is that people should simply do what they are comfortable with (saying or not saying gg) and try to give others the benefit of the doubt.  Other player wins and says gg first?  He's probably just doing the typical post-game handshake.  Don't make it out to be sarcastic, gloating or mocking if nothing else suggests it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2014, 05:49:35 pm »
+5

If you're saying that there are people in this thread who "can't handle" "gg" in the sense of mental illness, I disagree.  There are people here who find it rude and don't like it, which is hardly the same thing.  One does not simply cater to people who find your behavior unpleasant.

Care to support your assertion? Not a single person, ever has a mental pathology that causes him to behave with unsportsmanlike conduct?

While I agree that there may well be people whose mental illness prevents them from fully accepting relatively standard politeness, I don't know that it's necessary to treat everyone as if they were mentally ill merely to placate a few people.  There are almost certainly people with various forms of OCD who will recoil from an offered handshake; does this mean I should stop offering handshakes in situations that would normally call for one?  No, no it doesn't.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2014, 07:23:01 pm »

Again, that's... rather tangential. SCSN's prescription for people who can't handle end-of-game behavior is to subject themselves to unpleasant situations until they can handle it. I was merely pointing out that this might range from useless to utterly counterproductive in many cases.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2014, 12:23:26 pm »
+6

you are even trying to have your posts in this very thread be recognized as something superior to mine, by having better grammar, be it deliberately or unconsciously.

Uhh, what?  Are you seriously complaining that someone used proper grammar?  Why in the world would you take that as something malicious?  Should people deliberately use poor grammar in order to appear more humble?

Lacking spaces between words, having inappropriate capitalization and missing an essential apostrophe, my username is the zenith of humility.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2014, 06:30:58 pm »
+7

dude, i'm so much more humble than you, don't even start.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4086
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2014, 06:48:20 am »

Sure and I'm without doubt the most humble person in the world.

Anyway, while I see the point of the OP I just wanted to say "It's the internet. Bad manner happens everywhere. Saying gg in a 'wrong' occasion isn't the end of the world. Get over it." But that's just my opinion. As long as my opponent swears and give me bad nick names, I don't feel offended.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2014, 01:14:43 pm »

This reminds me of a song called "Smug", and at a part it says, "I'm good!  I'm humble!  I'm better than you!"
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2014, 04:16:59 pm »

I believe it was AJD who said "Maybe I'm arrogant, but it's my only flaw."  Am I remembering that right, AJD?  (You should know that I've been using that one for years.)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3263
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2014, 08:43:52 pm »

Anyway, while I see the point of the OP I just wanted to say "It's the internet. Bad manner happens everywhere. Saying gg in a 'wrong' occasion isn't the end of the world. Get over it." But that's just my opinion. As long as my opponent swears and give me bad nick names, I don't feel offended.

There is nothing to get over. I didn't wirte "people are so mean they are writing offensive gg's i can't handle it!!" in my opening post, I explicitly stated that I don't assume any bad intentions when someone does it. I even confirmed that I can't objectively prove that it's bm. I don't start raging when it happens, I don't even put people on my black list because of it. All I do is either leave the game as fast as I can or ask them to stop doing it in the future, and if they don't... well, then they don't. Humans are rude and intollerant by nature, just read through this thread.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2014, 11:41:46 pm »
+1

There is nothing to get over. I didn't wirte "people are so mean they are writing offensive gg's i can't handle it!!" in my opening post, I explicitly stated that I don't assume any bad intentions when someone does it. I even confirmed that I can't objectively prove that it's bm. I don't start raging when it happens, I don't even put people on my black list because of it. All I do is either leave the game as fast as I can or ask them to stop doing it in the future, and if they don't... well, then they don't. Humans are rude and intollerant by nature, just read through this thread.

Don't use bm for mad manners. I keep reading bowl movement.

Also, no one was really rude here, or intolerant. Maybe they got annoyed when you told them their friendly gesture is actually rude, but other than that it's pretty friendly, even people making jokes. At leas that's how I perceive it. I don't assume people are rude unless there is evidence for it.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2014, 11:44:43 pm »

Don't use bm for mad manners. I keep reading bowl movement.
I read "Big Money" every single time, and then I'm confused because that doesn't fit the sentence.

And I agree, reading through this thread was not enough for me to conclude that humans are rude and intolerant by nature. But that might be just me.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2014, 05:32:21 am »

I read Black Market.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2014, 02:32:36 pm »

Also, no one was really rude here, or intolerant. Maybe they got annoyed when you told them their friendly gesture is actually rude, but other than that it's pretty friendly, even people making jokes.
I didn't observe anything I considered rude.
At leas that's how I perceive it. I don't assume people are rude unless there is evidence for it.
I take it that silverspawn saw "evidence" of rudeness insofar as he saw rudeness.  Apparently we disagree about what is rude.

All I do is either leave the game as fast as I can or ask them to stop doing it in the future, and if they don't... well, then they don't. Humans are rude and intollerant by nature, just read through this thread.

I'm imagining what goes through the head of someone who doesn't stop saying 'gg' first after winning when you ask them to.  On the one hand, it's a pretty small favor to ask.  On the other, outside of a series with you, it's probably hard for most people to remember to make an exception to their auto-gg habit when playing with you.  I'll try and remember, but I think it's equally reasonable of me to ask you to permit me to just say "gg" after a game regardless of the outcome as to me, the "gg" is meant as and feels like a simple gesture of thanks and respect.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:33:51 pm by flies »

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2014, 02:42:23 pm »
+3

Silverspawn told me off for trolling Eevee on Goko the other day   *sad face*

If I can't troll Eevee, whats the point in Goko at all!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2014, 02:43:31 pm »
+1

Wouldn't you rather have a :-[ or  :'( instead of *sad face*?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2014, 02:59:46 pm »
+4

Nope, never use smilies. As I'm not 12

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2014, 03:26:23 pm »
+2

Nope, never use smilies. As I'm not 12
:-X
Well you *do* need a signature...

GokoIsGamesThatGoNowhere

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2014, 03:33:23 pm »
+1

I didn't observe anything I considered rude.

I assume he was referring to my jocular posts about how I like to taunt those who take Goko Dominion so seriously?  I'm not sure but I was temp banned for this so it must have been more offensive than I thought... my apologies to you all!

I find it greatly concerning that there are people out there whose opinion of human behavior is so low that the simple gesture of a post-win "gg" is taken to be condescending and even inflammatory.  Ironically, I find their response to this-- to try to leave as quickly as possible after a loss so as to avoid the unthinkable insult that is the "gg"-- to be considerably more rude, because half the time I want to discuss the game, win or loss.  I've played games where the loser has exited almost before I saw the game-over screen and I'm thinking, "WTF, is this guy some kind of Dominion robot who is in such a rush to get to the next game (which takes 10m on GOKO's lobby anyway) that he can't get out of my presence fast enough?" 

Imagine if this were the behavior for the board-game version.  Clearly there would have to be a house rule of no "good game" after playing because that could cause a fist fight from the losing party.  So the choice is awkward silence or bolt out the door as quickly as possible.  Good thing we have the Internet so we don't have to deal with these kinds of difficult etiquette dilemmas.

GokoIsGamesThatGoNowhere

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2014, 03:39:58 pm »
+1

I recently had someone say 'gg' on their last turn, when I was clearly going to win on the next turn.  And then... they didn't end their turn.  They just sat there for a minute and then said 'I'm not doing anything until you say "gg"'

I thought, what the hell?  I haven't typed "gg" to anyone since I was like 13 and playing Counterstrike, not about to begin now.

So anyway, I informed him of this and he had the good sense to say "sorry" and move on.

I played you a couple of weeks ago and you were losing, but instead of resign you just closed your browser (I guess?) and I had to wait for five minutes to get the win.  I thought that was kind of lame.  Although I guess  it would have been more lame if you had said "gg" and then closed your browser.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2014, 03:54:10 pm »

Ironically, I find their response to this-- to try to leave as quickly as possible after a loss so as to avoid the unthinkable insult that is the "gg"--
That is as rude as saying gg first. My response to this is to try to say gg as quickly as possible so that when my opponent says it, it will no longer be offensive.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GokoIsGamesThatGoNowhere

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2014, 04:00:09 pm »
+4

That is as rude as saying gg first. My response to this is to try to say gg as quickly as possible so that when my opponent says it, it will no longer be offensive.

I am going to try a new approach, now that I have been enlightened to the fact that "gg" is actually an insult: the instant the game ends (and I am the loser), I will type "I'm not going to give you the satisfaction" and then leave. 

Of course if I win, I'll just type "gg".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.