Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The "Dominion Middle Finger"  (Read 20152 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
The "Dominion Middle Finger"
« on: March 09, 2015, 09:50:32 pm »

Today I took a lead and I started Forging Colonies into Colonies in a deck perfectly capable of buying more Colonies just because my opponent wasn't even close. It felt a lot like trolling and I kinda felt bad but... ya know?

So yeah, doing stuff that makes you go down in points or something just because you can. What are your favorite ways to give the middle finger Dominion-style?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: The "Dominion Middle Finger"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 09:53:42 pm »
+8

Today I took a lead and I started Forging Colonies into Colonies in a deck perfectly capable of buying more Colonies just because my opponent wasn't even close. It felt a lot like trolling and I kinda felt bad but... ya know?

So yeah, doing stuff that makes you go down in points or something just because you can. What are your favorite ways to give the middle finger Dominion-style?

I wouldn't say that's middle-fingering; that's just competent playing.  Get that Colony pile down faster so you can win faster.  If anything, it's nicer of you to do that.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 09:56:58 pm »
+10

The only real middle finger is if you start elongating a game purposefully when your opponent has absolutely no chance of winning anymore.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 10:00:54 pm »
+37

The only real middle finger is if you start elongating a game purposefully when your opponent has absolutely no chance of winning anymore.

Opponent plays Lighthouse.  Ambassador Colonies so you can buy them again.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 12:39:47 am »

Eh I guess you're right Wero, it was shortening the game so it wasn't a complete troll move.

Another one I just remembered is buying out the entire curse pile on your last turn and still winning. Bonus points if it doesn't count towards a three-pile.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 12:54:49 am »
+2

KC-KC-Goons-Goons-Masq

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 12:57:35 am »

Darn you, I thought it was Last Footnote posting this at first...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 01:17:01 am »

Darn you, I thought it was Last Footnote posting this at first...

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 01:49:14 am »
+5

The Definition of the Dominion Middle Finger is buying as much Victory Points as physically possible on a winning turn after taking 5 minutes to decide the best course of action.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 07:25:06 am »
+4

The Definition of the Dominion Middle Finger is buying as much Victory Points as physically possible on a winning turn after taking 5 minutes to decide the best course of action.

My initial response its to disagree, but I suppose it depends. It could be that actually being able to end it is extraordinarily complicated, and you actually need to find a difficult line in order to pull off the win, in which case I don't have a problem at all. But I suppose you mean a situation where there is an easy win (let's say, buy the last province), and they are just spending lots of time to figure out how to most run up the score. In this case, it goes to my biggest thing along these lines, which is just slow-rolling in general. On the other hand, I tend to just give people the benefit of the doubt.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 11:52:47 am »
+1

The first time i ambasssored a colony to someone to lower the colony pile, i forgot that i needed to return 0 in order to actually lower the pile and ended up returning a colony to effectively pass it to them, keeping the pile the same. I still won the game, so pretty sure I ended up looking like a bit of a jerk in that game.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 11:59:10 am »

After emptying the Scout pile.

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 12:02:04 pm »

This doesn't necessarily fit the thread title, but an oddly common thing is people buying coppers on their game-ending turns (without a reason to, i.e., Goons, Gardens). Maybe buying one copper isn't much more work than clicking "End Turn", but people with three extra buys will buy three coppers. It's not a big deal, and I don't assume any malice, but just, why? What gives people the urge to do that?

To me, even if I'm playing a bot, it's more satisfyingly pure to "End Turn" it as soon as there are no more points to be had.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 12:12:39 pm »

With Gardens, I always buy the Copper if I'm playing with no point counter.  Can never be too careful.  With Goons, I try not to point gouge unless I have like 23 buys and 10 Goons in play, just to see how silly I can make the score.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 12:30:03 pm »

With Gardens, I always buy the Copper if I'm playing with no point counter.  Can never be too careful.  With Goons, I try not to point gouge unless I have like 23 buys and 10 Goons in play, just to see how silly I can make the score.

I'll usually buy the copper if it scores points. My post was referring to buying coppers for no reason (other than that they are there and it's a thing that you can do).

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 12:40:00 pm »
+5

This doesn't necessarily fit the thread title, but an oddly common thing is people buying coppers on their game-ending turns (without a reason to, i.e., Goons, Gardens). Maybe buying one copper isn't much more work than clicking "End Turn", but people with three extra buys will buy three coppers. It's not a big deal, and I don't assume any malice, but just, why? What gives people the urge to do that?

To me, even if I'm playing a bot, it's more satisfyingly pure to "End Turn" it as soon as there are no more points to be had.

I may have started this - I used to do it a lot, the 'victory copper', and my reasoning at the time was that, well I kind of like copper, and then I wanted to mess with Council Room statistics, back when that was a site.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 12:45:31 pm »
+7

I may have started this - I used to do it a lot, the 'victory copper', and my reasoning at the time was that, well I kind of like copper, and then I wanted to mess with Council Room statistics, back when that was a site.

And if he does it, we all do it. QED
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 01:09:56 pm »
+3

*WanderingTroller

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 02:01:57 pm »

Sometimes if I have one buy left I'll buy a copper instead of clicking end turn because it's closer.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 02:13:35 pm »
+4

Sometimes if I have one buy left I'll buy a copper instead of clicking end turn because it's closer.

Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 02:17:15 pm »
+1

And it still takes more time because the button is smaller.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 02:49:05 pm »
+3

I am in contact with theory. We are currently running some advanced analytics and simulations (with some trig included of course) to determine the most efficient cursor movement based on probable endgame cursor location.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 03:13:14 pm »

I am in contact with theory. We are currently running some advanced analytics and simulations (with some trig included of course) to determine the most efficient cursor movement based on probable endgame cursor location.

Keep in mind that I use Salvager, and the end turn button is really tiny in the upper right corner.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 03:22:43 pm »

Keep in mind that I use Salvager, and the end turn button is really tiny in the upper right corner.

It's still bigger than the button for buying a card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 04:24:50 pm »
+1

I pretty often resign the moment I see my opponent has enough coin and buys to win.

One exception is if I think it's a non-obvious enough ending that he might not see it, but that's pretty rare
My opponent has more loot than me
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.