Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 62  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXIX: Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Dinner Party (Game Over! Universe Wins!)  (Read 143101 times)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXIX: Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Dinner Party (Day 1!)
« Reply #350 on: August 09, 2013, 01:32:19 pm »

shraeye, what are your actual reads? You have nkirbit and UoS (and me?), it seems, but I don't see anything else from you.
Son, I'll get to my reads when I get there.  Settle down.

And in the meanwhile, what makes you think that I have a read on you?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 09, 2013, 01:33:41 pm »

And in the meanwhile, what makes you think that I have a read on you?

You called me and nkirbit partners. I assume you weren't being serious, hence the ? wondering if you have an actual read on me.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 09, 2013, 01:41:37 pm »

Yo! Just skim caught up. Didn't pay enough attention to people's statements (which is bad) but I did follow the pros and cons of the claiming thing. I sort of like VG's plan to claim Pr/non-Pr. But, well, we probably don't want to claim at all, because really town actually does end up winning mulitball variants fairly often, and they win because scum shoots each other. Any role revealing reduces the chances of scum shooting each other, which is very bad for town.

Bolded Robz scum lie.  DS9?  Masons and Monks?  LotR1?  PokeMafia?  Town DOES NOT win multiball.  Ever.

vote: Robz
Towns haven't won multiball on f.DS that often, because scumteams tended not to hit eachotehr, as I recall.  PokeMafia, for one, had a sort of built in device that made scumteams reluctant to hit eachother.  I don't remember enough of the other games to know if teams hit eachother.  But I'd suspect that the crucial difference in multiball games that go towards scum and those that go towards town is how often the teams hit eachother.  I agree with Robz that giving scum easy PR targets makes it much harder on town because it reduces crossfire.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 09, 2013, 01:54:42 pm »

it gives me no read on Jorbles's alignment. The biggest thing to realize when you're town and someone votes for you is that it doesn't make them mafia. Town has bad cases too.

It isn't the vote that raises my eyebrows, or the fact that he posted a case about it.  It's that his case almost entirely hinges on an opinion he "baited" me into.

I put bait in quotes because I had the opinion and very well might have stated it, but he's finding me scummy essentially for responding to his request for clarification, and it seems like his case is based on ignoring that and pretending like I kept posting about Ash because I wanted to steer the conversation that way, which is not true.

It's not that I think his case is bad, it's that I think it was manufactured.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 09, 2013, 01:55:50 pm »

Shraeye's vote on me seemed silly, given that I've been pushing more on my reads this early than in previous games, but you are not sheeping here, you're building a more extensive case... 

Let's play a fun game, where you tell me where I voted for you.  When you fail at that game, let's play a more serious one where you tell me why you're so paranoid about votes on you, that you made mine up.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 09, 2013, 01:59:42 pm »

That game ends when I admit I was wrong, and retroactively imagined a vote on me from you when Jorbles said he was sheeping you.  I assumed sheeping meant he was voting too.

I was wrong, you are right.  Happy, Captain Sassypants?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 09, 2013, 02:01:14 pm »

I decided to reread volt a little. Posts not listed are null.

152 thinks we have a night start...? We had a confirmation stage start. Maybe he thinks it's a night start because he got to chat with his scumbuddies. Ever so slight scumread.

189 points out a post by nkirbit that people are not voting nkirbit because of. (you get what i mean.) slight scum read. other stuff in post is null read.

192 and 93 defends himself pulling wrong nkirbit quote. null.

he's for the massclaim plan, but only wants to do it if everyone is doing it. Same stance i have, null read.

218 again misrepresents nkirbit. Nk said he was not going to contribute to theory talk. not not contribute to scumhunting, and it was only about a day into the game. Slight scumread for that. Pointing out eevee is a big time lurker. null.

245 i don't have anything specific to point out, but it gives my townie vibes.

254 prodding and qquestioning, i usually assosiate this with town player,so slight town read.

267 talks about random lynch null read.

269 and 73 seems like maybe he could be trying to latch suspicion on to yuma for something not that scummy (I think you know what i'm talking about) so slight scum read.

329 a nice post that i get town vibes from.

344 votes me for "following the thread while playing a game of dominion, but not doing much." I really don't get the reason for that. Slight scum read.

And so, i leave with a slight summy read on VA, and I am totally comfortable with my vote on him
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 09, 2013, 02:08:37 pm »

man, that voltgloss/voltaire is tough.  By VA, do you mean Voltaire?  I don't like that abbreviation, as I keep reading it as some form of V/LA.  Also, when people call nkirbit by NK, i get confused.  can we quit with bad abbreviations?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 09, 2013, 02:15:09 pm »

Really, typing out Voltaire and Voltgloss isn't that hard, but the internet seems to love difficult-to-parse abbreviations.  I love Summoner Wars, but the forum community's use of abbreviations is the worst.

I'm going to stick with Monsieur Arouet, or M. Arouet for short.  Maybe someday I'll transition into calling Voltaire "MA" to further the confusion!

Seriously, though, let's just type out the names.  VA looks like Virginia to me.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 09, 2013, 02:20:31 pm »

man, that voltgloss/voltaire is tough.  By VA, do you mean Voltaire?  I don't like that abbreviation, as I keep reading it as some form of V/LA.  Also, when people call nkirbit by NK, i get confused.  can we quit with bad abbreviations?
Yes VA means Aire. Maybe I'll call me by the end part.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 09, 2013, 03:31:11 pm »

I can't say I'm shocked that UoS doesn't like how I hid my intentions when I was asking a question that he was answering. It's because I found his initial position suspicious and was giving him a chance to either clarify in a way that cleared it up in a towny way or to run with it some more in a scummy way. His OMGUS vote also doesn't shock me (best defense is sometimes a good offense being a valid plan sometimes). I am content to leave my vote parked on UoS while I take off for the weekend. Have fun guys!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 09, 2013, 03:54:11 pm »

Snipped this down to just the stuff I'm addressing...

152 thinks we have a night start...? We had a confirmation stage start. Maybe he thinks it's a night start because he got to chat with his scumbuddies. Ever so slight scumread.

189 points out a post by nkirbit that people are not voting nkirbit because of. (you get what i mean.) slight scum read. other stuff in post is null read.

192 and 93 defends himself pulling wrong nkirbit quote. null.

218 again misrepresents nkirbit. Nk said he was not going to contribute to theory talk. not not contribute to scumhunting, and it was only about a day into the game. Slight scumread for that. Pointing out eevee is a big time lurker. null.

344 votes me for "following the thread while playing a game of dominion, but not doing much." I really don't get the reason for that. Slight scum read.

Roughly in order:

1. We did have a night start! A real-world night start. I'm most active during the day at work, like a decent number of us, and the game started and took off at night when I couldn't follow closely.

2. I went over this with yuma already.

3. You are clearly following the thread and not contributing all that much (this post I am replying to is a notable exception). You've done some "no way scum does that stuff" like being Mr. Sheep and your "I got Dalek Secc" opening that I at first thought made you town but now I am wondering if you're offering me wine. It is enough for a D1 vote. Actually now that I think about it this sounds like yuma's case on ash. Hmph.

I too am now gone until Sunday. I'll need to re-read Jorbles/UoS when I get back plus whatever else happens. Hopefully fewer people will be lurking by then.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 09, 2013, 04:05:49 pm »

Aire:
1. Oh. RL night.

3. If you feel like it.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 09, 2013, 06:06:22 pm »

Vote Count 1.3

yuma (1): Eevee
nkirbit (1): shraeye
mail-mi (1): Voltaire
Voltaire (1): mail-mi
Robz888 (1): ashersky
ashersky (3): nkirbit, Robz888, yuma
Eevee (1): Voltgloss
EmbrageOfSnow (1): Jorbles
Jorbles (1): UmbrageOfSnow

Not Voting (1): liopoil
With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch. Day 1 ends August 17th.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 09, 2013, 09:45:52 pm »

Still happy to be voting Ashersky.  Maybe I haven't explained it the best, but I just do feel like his actions haven't been that of a town member.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 09, 2013, 11:05:25 pm »

I'm only caught up until around post 255 or so, but townread a on both nkirbit and Voltaire for stuff they did around there.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 09, 2013, 11:21:54 pm »

Yo! Just skim caught up. Didn't pay enough attention to people's statements (which is bad) but I did follow the pros and cons of the claiming thing. I sort of like VG's plan to claim Pr/non-Pr. But, well, we probably don't want to claim at all, because really town actually does end up winning mulitball variants fairly often, and they win because scum shoots each other. Any role revealing reduces the chances of scum shooting each other, which is very bad for town.

Bolded Robz scum lie.  DS9?  Masons and Monks?  LotR1?  PokeMafia?  Town DOES NOT win multiball.  Ever.

vote: Robz
Towns haven't won multiball on f.DS that often, because scumteams tended not to hit eachotehr, as I recall. 

I don't know about that... In MXIX my team hit Galz and Robz's team hit TheMunch.
In MXX my team hit Robz.
I am pretty sure there were more examples from the earlier games--MVI maybe it was?--that had multiple scum teams that I didn't participate in. But the point remains, town is in a better position if scum teams have a chance of eliminating each other rather than being lynched.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 09, 2013, 11:24:00 pm »

It's not that I think his case is bad, it's that I think it was manufactured.

This, if true, is a compelling point. I for one will certainly go back and look at this--most likely tomorrow at some point.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 10, 2013, 12:46:23 am »

So drinking, rereading thread, bored wanting to talk about something, I decided to reread the original nkirbit vote.  I don't find Voltgloss scummy for this, although I don't agree with it.  (And yes, I think I'm allowed to have that opinion without it somehow making me scummy, town are allowed some nuance you know.)

Anyway it got me thinking, I don't find Nkirbit scummy for that because I think Yuma, Ash, and I basically drew him into it, but I think what Voltgloss (see, I typed his full name, not that hard) was looking at is interesting: Scum have daychat, so how can we look for this impacting the thread.  I'm going to reread with that in mind, tomorrow or the next day or something, but what should I be looking for?

Voltyvoltyvoltglass?  Yuma?  Others?

vote: nkirbit for the scummiest reaction to ash's plan.  "Eh I won't be talking about this" followed by "here's me talking about this" smells a bit to me of his partner in daychat going "dude it will look suspicious if you totally refuse to engage with town in their main topic of discussion."

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 10, 2013, 12:48:42 am »

So drinking, rereading thread, bored wanting to talk about something, I decided to reread the original nkirbit vote.  I don't find Voltgloss scummy for this, although I don't agree with it.  (And yes, I think I'm allowed to have that opinion without it somehow making me scummy, town are allowed some nuance you know.)

Anyway it got me thinking, I don't find Nkirbit scummy for that because I think Yuma, Ash, and I basically drew him into it, but I think what Voltgloss (see, I typed his full name, not that hard) was looking at is interesting: Scum have daychat, so how can we look for this impacting the thread.  I'm going to reread with that in mind, tomorrow or the next day or something, but what should I be looking for?

Voltyvoltyvoltglass?  Yuma?  Others?

vote: nkirbit for the scummiest reaction to ash's plan.  "Eh I won't be talking about this" followed by "here's me talking about this" smells a bit to me of his partner in daychat going "dude it will look suspicious if you totally refuse to engage with town in their main topic of discussion."
I would look for posts that might have been pre-written, like, say, in a scum QT.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 10, 2013, 01:23:12 am »

How about a random D1 lynch?

What does that possibly gain us?  Why not at least try to make a good choice.

I have zero information to go on.  At least a flip with info would help that.  I've seen good responses to my claiming idea, both for and against.  I've seen little scummy behavior from anyone, at all.  Mail-mi's bad joke about his PM is all there is to go on.

Lurkers?  We could lynch a lurker I suppose.

I'm rereading now.  I still don't get this.  We start every single game with zero information.. yeah, we may get less info here than other games, but why does that matter for day1?  If anything, this is the only day where we aren't at an information disadvantage as compared to a normal game.

I don't think this is a serious proposal, though.  Was it?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 10, 2013, 01:35:25 am »

How about a random D1 lynch?

What does that possibly gain us?  Why not at least try to make a good choice.

I have zero information to go on.  At least a flip with info would help that.  I've seen good responses to my claiming idea, both for and against.  I've seen little scummy behavior from anyone, at all.  Mail-mi's bad joke about his PM is all there is to go on.

Lurkers?  We could lynch a lurker I suppose.

I'm rereading now.  I still don't get this.  We start every single game with zero information.. yeah, we may get less info here than other games, but why does that matter for day1?  If anything, this is the only day where we aren't at an information disadvantage as compared to a normal game.

I don't think this is a serious proposal, though.  Was it?

Be careful asking questions like that, I hear it's scummy.

Vote: Jorbles

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 10, 2013, 01:41:18 am »

Here's something for people who've played more recently with them, have the players newer to me (nkirbit, UoS, Voltaire) played as scum before?
Townvibes from Jorbles for burying the question he really wanted the answer to in a series of similar questions.

Ooo, I already have a spreadsheet for this. I didn't want to give stuff away until I'd observed a little bit more as they're not that concrete yet.
1. UmbrageOfSnow: I completely agree with shraeye that he's been putting things out there as being suspicious hoping someone else will find it suspicious. I think this is the sort of kindof guiding the conversation that a first time scum player would do (which is why I was asking if he'd played scum before).

I completely agree with this.  Jorbles is my largest townread so far.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 10, 2013, 01:56:05 am »

I think nkirbit's getting at the way Ash was pushing it and pushing for it to happen NOW (as with the claiming Amy Pond), rather than the proposal of the plan itself.  I could see that being scummy, in isolation, but I could also see it being Ash excited about a plan.

What do you old timers think?

This is scummy enough that I'm going to vote UoS for it.  I wasn't getting at that.  I think it's pretty scummy to say, "Nkirbit thinks Ashersky is scummy for that reason!" when really, you're the one that finds him scummy for that.

My feelings for Ashersky weren't well articulated at all, and I completely understand why people, such as Shraeye, were suspicious of me for having them.  Basically, I just have a gut feeling that Asherksy's plan is coming from scum here, and I still do have the feeling, but don't have any real evidence to back it up at this point so I'll drop it.  But UoS trying to fan the flames on Ashersky while making it appear like he's not the one doing so is definitely scummy.

In general, I agree with Jorble's view on UoS.  He has been trying to lead the conversation in a direction to make someone else point out a scummy thing someone else did without having to do it himself.  So he doesn't get his hands dirty.  Examples are posts #255, 257, 265, 284, 291.  He seems very reluctant to actually say, "I find X scummy!".  This is quite possibly a scum trait.

Vote: UmbrageOfSnow

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 10, 2013, 02:03:06 am »

I don't find Ash scummy though!  I've said that over and over.

I feel like I can't win in any of these games.  I talk theory, so that's scummy.  I don't scumhunt enough so that's scummy.  I try to scumhunt so that's scummy.  I put a vote down so that's scummy.  I talk without putting a vote down so that's scummy.  You guys are so inconsistent game-to-game and day-to-day!

Don't know why I bother trying in these things.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 62  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.