Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30  All

Author Topic: Shadows Over Camelot I (Game over, everyone wins)  (Read 49556 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows Over Camelot I (Round I, Jorbles' turn)
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2013, 03:56:17 pm »

Ok fine. This is a valid reason. So please send a PM to me which card you want to "send" to Camelot.

And I just realised that bozzball is still missing. I hope he's soon back so that the game can finally start.

bozzball

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 04:55:38 am »

Back. What's this decision?

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 08:54:04 am »

Hey bozzball, I'm glad to see you back. Please send me a card via PM. All cards sent to me then get distributed to the players.
Jorbles, I hope you are back soon too. I'm waiting for your PM too.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2013, 02:06:22 pm »

I'm here. I'm just getting up to date on the rules. Also I'm the KING wooooo. None of you knights had better be traitors. Does anyone have any advice on the progression of evil decision? (I assume I'm allowed to ask for this, but we're not allowed to talk about our specific cards.)

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2013, 02:09:56 pm »

I'm here. I'm just getting up to date on the rules. Also I'm the KING wooooo. None of you knights had better be traitors. Does anyone have any advice on the progression of evil decision? (I assume I'm allowed to ask for this, but we're not allowed to talk about our specific cards.)

Great to hear from you. You can talk with others as much as you want. Just don't talk about your cards, exactly.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 02:40:39 pm »

Draw black cards unless you have a very good reason to do otherwise.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2013, 02:42:22 pm »

So if I wanted to exchange cards with someone... say bozzball/Galahad, I couldn't say what type of cards I'd like from him?

In general I think Excalibur is a quest I can get behind.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2013, 02:43:06 pm »

Alright to keep things moving, for the Progression of Evil I will draw 1 black card.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2013, 03:04:07 pm »

I guess we have to wait for everyone to send Qvist their share cards for the Round Table though, correct?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2013, 03:06:48 pm »

You can't say, but you can make indications. For example if the first action you took was going to the grail, then we might decide to trade grails to you.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2013, 03:10:39 pm »

These are the cards in Camelot. Please distribute them amongst each other:

Fight 1
Fight 1
Fight 2
Fight 3
Grail

(Should I say which card is from whom?)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2013, 03:22:51 pm »

I have no need for any of those cards. May the other knights benefit from them.
A man has no signature

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2013, 03:36:05 pm »

I could attempt to find Lancelot with these cards.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2013, 03:40:14 pm »

Err perhaps that's too table talky. Ummm, I'm having trouble with what's okay to say when we're trying to talk about cards. Anyhow I wish to find my lost brother Lancelot. You should allow me to take Fight 1, Fight 1 and Fight 2.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2013, 03:56:20 pm »

Speaking of which, could the range of the Lancelot/Dragon/Tournament cards be included on the main board so that player can have an idea of how tough that card is?
A man has no signature

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2013, 03:59:32 pm »

Speaking of which, could the range of the Lancelot/Dragon/Tournament cards be included on the main board so that player can have an idea of how tough that card is?

Lancelot & Black Knight cards range from 1-7 and Dragon cards from 5-11.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2013, 04:02:54 pm »

If you're going to fight Lancelot (not find... he's a bad guy), you should definitely be aiming to play at minimum about 18 points of cards. You can win with less, but the less you're playing, the more you're banking on Lancelot only playing low cards. If you were planning to go fight him with triple 2 and double 1, that's suicidal :P.

Let me just do some calculation... IIRC, the Lancelot card values are one 7, two 5, four 3, four 1, so 11 cards out of a deck of size I can't remember (I think it's about that number for each quest and the same number of special black so... 11/66 cards ish?). It'd take 5 turns to win give or take, so that's about 20-25 black cards drawn, about a third, so we could expect about 3-4 cards to be down, which averages Lancelot at about 10 points, if we complete the quest ASAP. Well, that's actually much lower than I expected, but there's a high deviation on that, I guess.

I could comfortably deal with the Black Knight if I took the 3. With a little help from Jorbles/King Arthur, I might even have a shot against Lancelot, but it'd be somewhat risky.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2013, 04:04:34 pm »

Oh, and I've always played the cards direct from people's hands for this reveal... I'm not fussed either way though. It's something I don't think the rules are clear on, or I can't remember what they say

If I don't take the three, I could also take the two, and wage war against the Picts or Saxons.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2013, 04:26:38 pm »

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2013, 04:36:07 pm »

As I plan on going for the quest of Excalibur, I'm fine with taking any card. 1s are probably worst, right?

ppe 5

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2013, 05:04:04 pm »

If you're going to fight Lancelot (not find... he's a bad guy), you should definitely be aiming to play at minimum about 18 points of cards. You can win with less, but the less you're playing, the more you're banking on Lancelot only playing low cards. If you were planning to go fight him with triple 2 and double 1, that's suicidal :P.

Let me just do some calculation... IIRC, the Lancelot card values are one 7, two 5, four 3, four 1, so 11 cards out of a deck of size I can't remember (I think it's about that number for each quest and the same number of special black so... 11/66 cards ish?). It'd take 5 turns to win give or take, so that's about 20-25 black cards drawn, about a third, so we could expect about 3-4 cards to be down, which averages Lancelot at about 10 points, if we complete the quest ASAP. Well, that's actually much lower than I expected, but there's a high deviation on that, I guess.

I could comfortably deal with the Black Knight if I took the 3. With a little help from Jorbles/King Arthur, I might even have a shot against Lancelot, but it'd be somewhat risky.

Ahh, I hadn't done the math, but was banking on being able to start the quest immediately and hope almost no Lancelot cards came up. This is not as great an opportunity as I thought if Lancelot's average would be 10 though. I guess I won't be finding him to fight him (which is totally what I meant before... no really.) Since I can give you guys cards is it a better strategy for me to try and farm cards for the group and just hang in Camelot for the first part of the game?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2013, 05:05:04 pm »

As I plan on going for the quest of Excalibur, I'm fine with taking any card. 1s are probably worst, right?

ppe 5

They can usually be dumped. They're needed obviously for the Picts and Saxons, but you don't need a lot of 1s.

I don't think I've heard anyone mention going to the Grail? Are we weak in that department at the moment?
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2013, 05:08:01 pm »

Since I can give you guys cards is it a better strategy for me to try and farm cards for the group and just hang in Camelot for the first part of the game?

I hadn't considered that before. On the surface, I'd say no because Gawain can get three cards, and he should probably farm for a little bit. Granted, at some point I'm going to go fight the Picts or Saxons because I have a pretty good run going, but I can probably lurk in the castle for a turn or two. Arthur can still give and take cards in the field. We just need to identify those cards so we can make the best use of your ability. If Arthur doesn't have a whole lot to give away, then farming may be an option. It might not be the most efficient with Gawain around.
A man has no signature

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2013, 05:48:37 pm »

I've got a card I want to give to Galahad/bozzball regardless of what quest he goes on because he can play it for free. I don't have much else to give away at the moment and think it would be useful to draw a little more for us to work with at least at the start. I'm not a strategy expert, in this game at all, but some online reading indicated this wasn't a bad idea at the start. I wanted to float it to the group though. My cards are not amazing though, but I do have some ability to progress the Grail, but I'd rather not waste a turn moving there until I can go further in the quest.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2013, 05:53:34 pm »

Everyone needs some cards though. Gawain can't give cards, and Arthur can only exchange one for one. So everyone is probably going to need to do a little drawing.

Here's what I've seen so far:

Jorbles (Arthur): Drawing or Excalibur
Kuildeous (Gawain): Drawing then Wars
Bozzball (Galahad): Nothing said so far
Eevee (Palamedes): Excalibur
Tables (Heart Knight): Black Knight or Wars

So considering that, I think as it's best to focus efforts somewhat I propose: I take the two, Eevee takes the two ones as a starting point. I'll start a war on my turn, with Kuildeous joining me shortly after. Jorbles and Eevee would start dealing with Excalibur - we probably don't want to complete it because then we get siege engines, which is nasty. I still need to know really what Bozz is considering before suggesting what to do with the other cards.

What do people think of this?

PPE: If you have some ability to progress the grail, you going there can be a really good move. You can trade away a special white or two early, then continue trading to grab more grails while giving others cards they might need. The grail is another quest we probably won't complete, we probably meet despairs somewhere in the middle and sit - that's fine. But getting those early grails down is useful, because we DO NOT want to lose the Grail.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 16 queries.