Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #182: I Choose Nothing  (Read 4720 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #182: I Choose Nothing
« on: March 21, 2023, 03:52:50 am »
+2

WDC #182: I Choose Nothing

For this week's contest, we have a simple prompt: Create a design that offers you a choice in which you may want to choose to do nothing reasonably often.

Maybe some examples to illustrate what I mean:
Official cards that would qualify:Mill (choosing not to discard), Hamlet (same), Wayfarer (choosing not to gain Silver)
Ofiicial cards that barely qualify:Vault (you can discard nothing, but that's not usually why you get this), University (maybe there are no more Action you want)
Official cards that don't qualify:Throne Room (you can technically choose not to play a card twice, but come on), Scrap (trashing a Copper gives you "choose zero", but that's not what I mean here), Settlers (I suppose you could choose not to put a Copper into your hand), Bishop (gives your opponent a choice to not trash, but not you)

Judgment criteria:
Try not to get too deep into the "barely qualify" territory! Ideally, the choice is interesting a lot of the time, but not so much that it leads to slow gameplay. Other than that, the usual criteria apply.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #182: I Choose Nothing
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 09:11:44 am »
+2

Would optional one-shots like Mining Village or Engineer qualify?

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 09:34:13 am »
+4

Granary
- Action Victory
+1 Card and +2 Actions
You may discard 2 cards, revealed. If they are both Actions, +2 Cards.

Notes:
Inspired by Mill and Witch's Hut. Both the VP and discarding are eventually relevant, but you probably won't use the discarding a high percentage of the time except with "draw to X" or card that play similarly like Menagerie.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 09:37:26 am »
+2

Would optional one-shots like Mining Village or Engineer qualify?
Yes, that would be fine.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 12:21:32 pm »
+2

Gravekeeper
cost $2 - Action - Reaction
+2 Cards
---
When you trash a card costing from $3 to $6, you may trash this from your hand, to put that card into your hand.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 02:59:23 pm »
+2

Here is my entry. I can see getting this early and trashing all Coppers with it, then if you can't trash it use it to just filter your Victory cards.
Secret Market
$4 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may discard a card for +1 Card.
You may trash a Treasure for +1 Buy and +$1.
Thank you all for the critique. I removed the additional card and adjusted cost from $3 to $4.  :).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 12:23:41 pm by BryGuy »

Chappy77

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 03:04:59 pm »
+2

I have no idea how to make that $4 not so huge...if I add more text it shrinks to normal size, but with this text it just gets huge.  Pretend it's normal.

Anyway, Hoarder.  It's a workshop, and it can also be a terminal Gold.  Could be good in slogs or garden games etc.  Maybe it will only be used for an early spike and then never again.  Who knows.

Edit: Thanks for the tips.  Fixed the mega $4
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 04:47:21 pm by Chappy77 »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 03:07:03 pm »
+4

Considering playing the Estate is the equivalent of playing a single Village, maybe there are games where you'd rather trash said Estates and use Sanctum as an expensive Great Hall for scoring extra.
Bottom text

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 03:22:07 pm »
+1

I have no idea how to make that $4 not so huge...if I add more text it shrinks to normal size, but with this text it just gets huge.  Pretend it's normal.

Try adding a period or space right after the $4. If it's shard of honor's tool, I've run into the same issue occasionally, and the period or space (instead of a line break) usually resolves it.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 03:30:21 pm »
+1

Try this :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 03:31:22 pm by BryGuy »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 03:50:36 pm »
+2

Honestly, I'm surprised this hasn't been done before, considering Plaza is a thing.

New version below.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:02:58 pm by Augie279 »
they/them

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 04:14:12 pm »
+1

Mini Cellar with a buy. Let the man have some much needed rest

Edit: updated. Lowered the +$2 to +$1. Now it's really in the spirit of this week's contest, since it's probably not worth ending your Action phase for +$1 unless you have nothing else to play, haha. Lowered the price by one as well, feels more like a $2 now with the nerf.
old version
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 03:22:19 pm by czzzz »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 04:28:54 pm »

Anyway, Hoarder.  It's a workshop, and it can also be a terminal Gold.  Could be good in slogs or garden games etc.  Maybe it will only be used for an early spike and then never again.  Who knows.

Ending your sentences with periods would fix the big $4 issue.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 04:37:01 pm »
+2

Honestly, I'm surprised this hasn't been done before, considering Plaza is a thing.

Maybe the wording can be modeled after Way of the Chameleon:

You may play a Treasure from your hand; each time it would give you +$ this turn, you get +Actions instead.

The “this turn” is important so that there are no tracking issues for Treasure -Durations like Astrolabe.

Chappy77

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 04:43:44 pm »
+1

Ending your sentences with periods would fix the big $4 issue.

I tried that.  It made a giant period after the $4. 

Chappy77

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 04:45:57 pm »
+1

Try adding a period or space right after the $4. If it's shard of honor's tool, I've run into the same issue occasionally, and the period or space (instead of a line break) usually resolves it.

Ahh, the line break is what caused it.  Thanks

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 05:18:38 pm »
+3

Here is my entry. I can see getting this early and trashing all Coppers with it, then if you can't trash it use it to just filter your Victory cards.
Secret Market
$3 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
I like this but I think it's too strong for $3. Maybe even could cost $5, but probably okay at $4. Two of these could get rid of all your coppers quick and be a market+a little sifting in the meantime. If there's very little to no other +buy, I can see buying Coppers to keep these working.

<Hillside Village>
Actually, I'm pretty sure I have seen that done before probably more than once with other people's fan cards, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. If you wanted to, you could make it only +1 Action by default +the Action from the played treasure still makes it a Village. Then you could make it cheap. (The game could use more decent $2 villages IMO.)

I've also used a fanmade card very similar to X-tra's Sanctum (except it discards a victory card instead of playing an estate for the same effect). It's one of my favorite fanmade Villages.

Now to think of my own submission...

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 05:38:31 pm »
+1

Mini Cellar with a buy. Let the man have some much needed rest
This is far too strong. I mean, gee, running one copy is a nonterminal Woodcutter with some sifting added.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2023, 05:42:32 pm »
+2

Secret Market
$3 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
I like this but I think it's too strong for $3. Maybe even could cost $5, but probably okay at $4. Two of these could get rid of all your coppers quick and be a market+a little sifting in the meantime. If there's very little to no other +buy, I can see buying Coppers to keep these working.
[/quote
A slightly nerfed Fugitive (aka Old Map) plus cantrip Market Copper trashing sounds like a very strong $5 to me.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2023, 06:04:15 pm »
+4

Ye. Eeven more busted than Spice Merchant . It's similarly good early and much better later. You'd probably buy two of them in the opening on most boards.

Personally, I'd look into giving it some kind of drawback rather than making it cost 5$. It'd be fine at 5$, but probably a little boring. Definitely not ok at 4$ imo.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2023, 07:02:18 pm »
+6

You may play a Treasure from your hand; each time it would give you +$ this turn, you get +Actions instead.
The “this turn” is important so that there are no tracking issues for Treasure -Durations like Astrolabe.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I have seen that done before probably more than once with other people's fan cards, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. If you wanted to, you could make it only +1 Action by default +the Action from the played treasure still makes it a Village. Then you could make it cheap. (The game could use more decent $2 villages IMO.)

I've also used a fanmade card very similar to X-tra's Sanctum (except it discards a victory card instead of playing an estate for the same effect). It's one of my favorite fanmade Villages.

Now to think of my own submission...

Good advice from both of you. Updated, thanks!

Feels a bit more Hamlet-esque than I would've expected. Doesn't seem like too much of a bad thing, though.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:04:06 pm by Augie279 »
they/them

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2023, 11:19:53 pm »

Burrow
Action - $3
+1 Card
Choose one: Trash a card from your hand for +1 Action per $1 it costs; or you may return a card from the trash to its pile to gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 09:21:13 am by NoMoreFun »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2023, 12:19:54 am »
+2

Considering playing the Estate is the equivalent of playing a single Village, maybe there are games where you'd rather trash said Estates and use Sanctum as an expensive Great Hall for scoring extra.

It's the equivalent of playing a Village and a Laboratory (assuming that the Estate would otherwise sit irrelevant in your hand). Which, to me, makes this too strong for (but too weak for ).   

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2023, 07:58:12 am »
+4

With the difference being, you don’t increase your handsize, you must harbour a useless stop card, you have to make sure both cards connect, and every Sanctum need an Estate of their own, since they cannot piggyback over the same one.
Bottom text

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2023, 10:49:07 am »
+1

It's the equivalent of playing a Village and a Laboratory (assuming that the Estate would otherwise sit irrelevant in your hand). Which, to me, makes this too strong for (but too weak for ).

When I play a Smithy-inherited Estate with Sanctum, do I get both cantrip and +3 Cards?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.