Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Experimental  (Read 1308 times)

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +158
    • View Profile
Dominion: Experimental
« on: January 27, 2023, 10:41:48 am »
+1

Howdy All,  :)
I am embarking upon developing set-5, Experimental, an Alchemy reformulated set. I am soliciting constructive criticism on these cards before expending a large effort to print. Please be mindful some of these are not entirely my idea, but are helpful to see the whole set. About 60% of cards by count are mostly mine.

It appears that Alchemy was rushed to publication and did not get the level of play-testing it deserved. The following cards offer fans a set to enhance their enjoyment of this expansion. To understand why this new set was developed, it is helpful to understand Alchemy's four main issues.

Issue-1, Alchemy's economy. The Treasure “Potion” is the only card to provide Potions. There are no other Treasures cards, Action cards, or Ways to provide potions. Playing games with Alchemy in this limited state is akin to playing other expansions without Silver or Gold, or any Action that provides coins. While, it can be done, why make it so difficult? To improve the economy, this set offers many solutions. There are Treasure-Magic cards added as an additional Base card pile – each providing both Potion and Coin. This set introduces Elixir, what Coffers does for coins Elixir offers for Potion, a Potion on demand. There are Treasure-Duration cards, Actions that provide Potion, and many other economic support cards not unlike what is found in other expansions, but tailored to Alchemy.

Issue-2, Alchemy does not provide any double or triple potion costing cards. This limits Potion's usefulness and renders Potion as a mere gimmick instead an alternative game currency - its original intent. This is remedied by providing several, almost 30% by card count, cards that cost more than one potion.

Issue-3, Alchemy does not provide enough Potion costing Victory cards and in predominate Alchemy games, should offer an alternative to Provinces. Both of thes are in Experimental - Parish ($3P) compliments Duchy and County ($4PP) replaces Province in predominately Alchemy games. Principality ($5PPP), like Colony, also ends the game when depleted. Experimental also offers several others alternative Victory options, including Landmarks.

Issue-4, Alchemy does not offer features found in other sets. Experimental offers four split piles, a traveler series, Ways, Events, Projects, a Spirit and its fetch, some Action-Duration cards, and some other cards found in many expansions.

With multiple currencies, this enables card cost to be variable. Some card's cost is noted as “?” and that is explained on the bottom of the card. This also allows some cards to be flexible enough to work well outside of this set. Multiple potion costs opens the possibility to use another symbol to represent this. The purple potion on M-Medicine, which provides two potions, will be used to represent double potion in the cost. Triple potion cost will be one purple and one blue potion.

In addition, Experimental suggests to retire some cards that are subpar at best and some that most players agree they are not worthy to continue. Experimental will retired the following cards: Familiar, Philosopher's Stone, and Possession.

Also, Experimental suggests to adjust a few original cards to bring them into greater alignment. University is adjusted to include Potion cost in its gaining, now Manifest Spell. All of Transmute's gains are adjusted to more align with this set. As suggested by DXV and others, the attack portion of Scrying Pool is removed, now Scrying Season. Ultimately, only Vineyard, Herbalist, Apothecary, Alchemist, Golem, and Apprentice remain unchanged.

Another way to improve Alchemy is to offer a few simple (vanilla) cards with Potion in its cost. While this started with five, three morphed and now there is only two.

Here are some sources of inspiration. I have borrowed many of these cards, name, and pictures. Thank you to all who have created card ideas or offered constructive criticism. Attribution is noted on each cards where appropriate.

Here are some cards to address issue-1, issue-3, and issue-4 by herw

Here are some cards to address issue-4 by The Alchemist.

Here are some cards to address issue-3 and issue-4 by Shael.

Here are some cards to address issue-4 by ClouduHieh.

Here are some vanilla cards and others by n_sanity.

Alchemy's Secret History.

Additional Experimental Rules: In games using these cards, include no less than two Experimental cards and add Parish to the Base cards. In games using three or more Experimental cards or at least two double or any triple potion costing cards, add M-Chalice, M-Medicine, and M-Flame, and to the Base cards. In games using five or more Experimental cards, replace Provinces with County, and add Quicksilver, M-Vapor, Principality, and Alchemical Exchange to the Base cards. Game ending is modified to either three piles are empty, County pile is empty, or Principality pile is empty.

So at almost 1000 cards by printed card count, lets get to the cards. First lets start with Base cards.  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 03:31:54 pm by BryGuy »

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Experimental
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 10:48:56 am »
+1

There will be 12 copies of these cards:

There will be 2 copies of these cards per player:

There will be 1 copy of this card:

There will be 1 copy of these mats for each player:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 12:23:10 pm by BryGuy »

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 11:42:24 am »
+1

Here are some of my cards (10 of each):

Here are some of my cards (8 of each):

Here are some of my cards (12 of each):

Here are some of others cards (10 of each):

Here are some of others cards (8 of each):

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 12:55:56 pm by BryGuy »

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 11:50:27 am »
+1

Here are some Horizontals

States:

I had several cards that include the language on Nice. So i made this state to reduce words on those cards.

I had several cards that include the language on Little Trick. So i made this state to reduce words on those cards. I got this idea from Shael and that is why they are attributed on this card.

Ways:

Projects:

Events:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 05:08:21 pm by BryGuy »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 02:07:18 pm »
+1

Haven't properly read the cards but i saw a second potion symbol...
Dominion gunpowder sequel?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 02:32:32 pm »

Haven't properly read the cards but i saw a second potion symbol...
Dominion gunpowder sequel?

Howdy All,  :)
I am embarking upon developing set-5, Experimental, an Alchemy reformulated set. I am soliciting constructive criticism on these cards before expending a large effort to print. ...

With multiple currencies, this enables card cost to be variable. ... Multiple potion costs opens the possibility to use another symbol to represent this. The purple potion on M-Medicine, which provides two potions, will be used to represent double potion in the cost. Triple potion cost will be one purple and one blue potion.
...  :)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 02:33:47 pm by BryGuy »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 03:39:28 pm »
+1

So... where in the Supply do you return it?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 03:43:58 pm »

So... where in the Supply do you return it?

Good point. This is suppose to be like Spoils or Horse, where it goes back to its pile. I will fix this.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 09:43:11 am »
+4

It appears that Alchemy was rushed to publication and did not get the level of play-testing it deserved.
Uh huh. And how much testing have these cards here gotten?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 11:14:53 am »
+1

I can safely say that this is much better than the last time someone tried this. Remaking Alchemy, that is.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 11:25:01 am »
+2

I think you can safely argue without playtesting that all the stuff with double or triple Potions does not work.
Just take County as an example. Why would you ever spend 4 Coins and 2 Potions on something that is weaker than Vineyard (mostly is) while costing far more?

The opportunity costs of getting 2 Potions (or M-Medicine) and the matching risk (have people who suggest such doubble Potion nonense never played with Treasure Map?) is simply far too huge for the payoff.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 11:56:48 am »
+1

Man, I once made a card that is also called Gemstone mine and also has identical art. What are the odds?

... I guess not even that low since that's one of the early images you get if you google.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2023, 03:04:25 pm »

Man, I once made a card that is also called Gemstone mine and also has identical art. What are the odds?

... I guess not even that low since that's one of the early images you get if you google.

I used another name for your card, which i included in this set, attributing it to you. I just have not put it or the Spirit up yet. I also like your Event Horse Trade and included it Experimental, also not up yet.

I have your Carpenter and Carving slated for another unfinished set and your Moonstone for yet another unfinished set.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 03:10:40 pm by BryGuy »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2023, 03:12:25 pm »
+1

oh, so it wasn't a coincidence? cool!

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2024, 09:39:41 am »

:)
Well, this has largely been successful. Like my other expansions there have been some slight changes to some cards. I'm in the process of making those changes now and adding a few dozen more cards.

Here are the updated Rule changes:
Additional Experimental Rules:
* In games using these cards, include no less than two Experimental cards. In games using double potion costing card, include a single potion costing card and M-Chalice. In games using triple potion costing card, include a single potion costing card, a double potion costing card and M-Chalice.
* In games using three or more Experimental cards add M-Chalice, and Parish to the Supply. In games using five or more Experimental cards, replace Provinces with County, and replace Gold with M-Medicine and M-Flame. In games using all Experimental cards, remove Duchy, add Quicksilver, M-Vapor, Principality, and Alchemical Exchange to the Base cards.
* Game ending is modified to either three piles are empty, County pile is empty, or Principality pile is empty.

:)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 10:32:16 am by BryGuy »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.