Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #182: I Choose Nothing  (Read 4851 times)

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +183
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #182: I Choose Nothing
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2023, 10:49:20 am »
+7

Tour Route
$4 Project
At the start of each of your turns, you may discard your hand, for +4 Cards.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2023, 11:14:53 am »
+5

Depot
Action - Duration
$5

+2 Actions
$2
______________________________________________________________________________________
You may set aside an Action card from your hand under this. If you did, at the start of your next turn play it.

* Edit. Fixing a type where I had missed the h from hand.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:16:34 pm by xyz123 »

RovingBear

• Scout
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2023, 12:20:06 pm »
+1

Woodcutter variant, hopefully the additional options make buying this early game a possibility, and make it more interesting.

After some comments i changed the card a bit
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 04:31:20 pm by RovingBear »

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +240
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2023, 02:07:26 pm »
+2

This is far too strong. I mean, gee, running one copy is a nonterminal Woodcutter with some sifting added.
If you take the + that makes it Woodcutter, it makes it more terminal than Woodcutter because your Action phase is over, regardless of how many Actions you have left.
Maybe there's some other wording I can use to make this more clear.
If it's the last Action you were going to play anyways, then it is indeed Woodcutter with sifting. In an engine deck the difference between the two is more stark, since even if you stack up on +Actions, you could only get the coins from this once per turn (aside from throning and stuff), even if you have multiple copies.

Anyways it's a flawed submission, yeah. I didn't feel very inspired for this week, haha. I don't think it's a real competitor, but maybe I'll adjust it to +; thanks for the feedback

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2023, 02:44:00 pm »

Woodcutter variant, hopefully the additional options make buying this early game a possibility, and make it more interesting.
2 Cards, 2 Coins and a Buy is a strong $5. Add trash 2 and this become insane.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2023, 03:17:02 pm »

The comparison to Steward is apt

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2023, 03:19:41 pm »

The comparison to Steward is apt
Well, this does ALL that Steward does when you play it thrice and then some.

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +240
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2023, 03:27:47 pm »

2 Cards, 2 Coins and a Buy is a strong $5. Add trash 2 and this become insane.
Well, this does ALL that Steward does when you play it thrice and then some.
It gives +1 Card, after you trash 2.
It totally is strong, but it really isn't "+2 Cards, +$2, +1 Buy, trash two cards from your hand".

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2023, 03:34:47 pm »

I am well aware that you first trash and then draw. But if the vanilla stuff makes this a strong $5, adding trashing on top of that makes it absolutely loco, no matter when you trash.
If this does all that Steward does and then some it is beyond insane, no matter when you trash.

RovingBear

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2023, 03:52:26 pm »

im not sure its too strong. it is similar to Steward but still fairly different. early game you would want to trash yes, but later in the game you wont always want to trash 2 cards. also the plus 1 card may well be an action and unless you have exra actions its just a waste.
Possibly to weaken this i would add that when you gain this you topdeck a Copper.
What do you think?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2023, 04:12:00 pm »
+4

I think it's much stronger than you think. Early it's +2$, trash 2 cards which is incredibly powerful -- much better than Steward, which is already very strong. (And that's ignoring the +card.) Then when you don't want it anymore, it's a one-shot 4$, +1 buy which is also very good -- also better than Steward. I think if you top-deck 1 Copper on buy, it's still so strong that you auto-buy it in basically every game.

RovingBear

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2023, 04:31:42 pm »
+1

alright i tweaked the card a bit

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2023, 11:45:31 pm »
+3

Considering playing the Estate is the equivalent of playing a single Village, maybe there are games where you'd rather trash said Estates and use Sanctum as an expensive Great Hall for scoring extra.

It's the equivalent of playing a Village and a Laboratory (assuming that the Estate would otherwise sit irrelevant in your hand). Which, to me, makes this too strong for (but too weak for ).

When I play a Smithy-inherited Estate with Sanctum, do I get both cantrip and +3 Cards?

As worded I think you would - it's Sanctum giving you the cantrip as a reward for playing the Estate. I think you draw the smithy cards first then get the cantrip.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2023, 03:15:26 am »

I don’t think so. If the card said, you may play a Smithy for +1 Card and + 1 Action you would not get the +3 Cards of Smith.
Play for implies a substitution.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2023, 07:22:09 am »
+5

I don’t think so. If the card said, you may play a Smithy for +1 Card and + 1 Action you would not get the +3 Cards of Smith.

I can see where you're coming from.

I'm interpreting "for" as a shorthand for "You may play an Estate. If you did, +1 Card, +1 Action". When a card instructs you to play it you get the effect for playing it.

You're interpreting it as "Cantrip instead of its usual effect", which I think would need more clarification, except there is no normal effect for Estate.

Anyway, X-tra could weigh in on the design intent and develop an unambiguous wording.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2023, 09:09:11 am »
+1

Played an Inherited Smithy, you'd get +3 Cards, then cantrip.
Bottom text

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2023, 01:45:15 pm »
+3

I can see where you're coming from.

I'm interpreting "for" as a shorthand for "You may play an Estate. If you did, +1 Card, +1 Action". When a card instructs you to play it you get the effect for playing it.

You're interpreting it as "Cantrip instead of its usual effect", which I think would need more clarification, except there is no normal effect for Estate.

Anyway, X-tra could weigh in on the design intent and develop an unambiguous wording.
Well, that is just a reflection of why discarding green a la Shepherd is just more clear than the mess of playing green like Inheritance.

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2023, 04:55:48 pm »
+6

Benefactor - $4 - Action

+1 Action
Gain a non-Victory card costing up to $5.
Each other player may take @2 for +2%.

This card may be too strong with +1 action I'm willing to admit, but I wanted a card that gave a real choice to the other players on if they want to hurt their next turn for "free" VP while allowing the card to be used to continue gaining cards even if you have debt. The thought for this card is that the other players may gain more debt for VP if they already have debt, so multiple instances in a turn will matter.

weretheruler

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2023, 06:50:43 pm »
+3

Goldsmith, 5
+3 cards
You may discard your hand for +5. (5 coins)

Compare to Vault. Guarantees 5 but needs support to get any higher (also compare Horse Traders), in exchange it's better draw for an engine.

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2023, 08:45:37 pm »
+3

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2023, 11:26:38 pm »
+1

Well, that is just a reflection of why discarding green a la Shepherd is just more clear than the mess of playing green like Inheritance.

Maybe. I wanted to try something different. I wanted one Estate per Sanctum, a feat I couldn't achieve with a simple discard instruction. Gives it a unique vibe too, and you can pull funny tricks with Changeling and Tools.

Hardly a "mess" anyway.
Bottom text

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2023, 11:46:55 am »
+7

My Submission:

Foxfire • $5 • Action
+4 Cards
Discard 2 cards. You may
discard an Action card for
+2 Actions. You may
discard a Treasure card for
+1 Buy.

My submission is Foxfire. It has two choice for which you might choose nothing (I hope that's okay). If you choose neither, it's a Moat with some sifting/a weakened Embassy w/o the on-gain effect. You can discard an Action card to turn it into a sifting Village (but at the significant cost of having to discard an Action as one of the cards sifted). Separately, you can discard one of your Treasure for a buy, either because you've hit a higher payload than what you want to get, or because you've got a powerful enough engine that you're going to draw it again anyway.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2023, 02:47:14 pm »
+9

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2023, 01:59:36 pm »
+6

Kale Cliffs
$5
Treasure - Duration
$2
+1 Buy
At the start of your next Buy phase, you may discard your hand for +$4.
My entry is inspired by Tactician, where if a player builds a deck focused on non-treasure based money sources this card grants a huge payoff. Unlike Tactician, 2 copies of this new card cannot be staggered to be played every turn, also unlike Tactician this just grant money so no ability to hunt additional copies or overall deck control. Also unlike Tactician when a player can play multiple in one turn they can grant a guaranteed $8+ money next turn. When using effects that play treasures during action phase or use a buy phase reset, this card can do some crazy combos. Overall this card can be used as a basic Silver with a +Buy though it can only be played every other turn and I bet many decks will be okay with the bottom text doing nothing half the time they play this.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2023, 02:09:44 pm »
+3

Locksmith
$5 - Action - Attack

+3 Cards
+1 Buy
Each player with 5 or more cards in hand Exiles a card from their hand. You may put a card you have in Exile into your hand.

Locksmith is a Smithy variant pseudo-trashing and handsize Attack that affects everyone.  Like Thief and Pirate Ship, the “attack” actually helps opponents early on, so it’s better to compare Locksmith to Council Room or a mandatory Bishop.  Early on, you will leave your junk in Exile.  As your deck is thinned,  good cards will end up in Exile, and then you start to use the last part to get them back.  In the endgame you could even Exile green and unlock those stashed Coppers for one final use.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.