Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Barter & Trade  (Read 1661 times)

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
Dominion: Barter & Trade
« on: September 22, 2022, 12:22:02 am »

So my idea for Barter & Trade is a collection of cards that interact with other players to some degree, but light on trashing other's cards and dispensing Curses. This is an attempt to move my Dominion games away from multiplayer solitaire.

Pass Cards are passed to the right at the start of the Clean phase and put into that player's play area. Since already in play they do not use an Action, but must be played first, like Durations. Passed cards are not Gained, but in rotation. When returned to original player they are placed into their discard. If trashed by non-owner then returned to owner's discard pile instead. You may place your color token on the card to track.

Seams like i play many games where i don't have the extra buy when i need it so i made Gopher. Like Coffers for coins and Villagers for actions, Gophers are for future buys.

5 Action & Pass

2 Treasure & Pass

1 Victory & Pass

2 Actions

1 Action Duration

All too often other players leave their extra Buys unused.

1 Action Reaction

1 Night (This goes with 5 states.)

2 Events

Action that goes with the Event - 1 set of 20

Cards others have made:
LastFootNote's Almoner
ku5h's Angry Mob
4est's Ark
Mahowrath's Beguiler
Co0kieL0rd's Blueprint
Carline's Bootleg
spheremonk's Caravel
spheremonk's Carrack
Carline's Concillor
Carline's Janus
scolapasta's Informant
Co0kieL0rd's Iron Smelt
Timinou's Looking Glass
4est's Pilgrim & Path
Xen3k's Pigeon
Carline's Privilege
ku5h's Rabbits
Erick648's Santa's Workshop
Co0kieL0rd's Seeker
Carline's Shenanigans
ku5h's Tailor
Co0kieL0rd's Tolkeeper
Asper's Traitor
4est's Will
Xen3k's Yule Festival

A few cards from bought sets
Original's Council Room
Seaside's Monkey
Seaside's Smugglers
Seaside's Pirate
Prosperity's Bishop
Prosperity's Vault
Hinterlands's Fools Gold
Hinterlands's Embassy
Adventures's Lost City
Empire's Chariot Race
Empire's Gladiator / Fortune
Empire's Farmers' Market
Empire's Temple
Empire's Wild Hunt
Renaissance's Border Guard
Renaissance's Flag Bearer
Renaissance's Swashbuckler
Renaissance's Treasurer
Menagerie's Falconer
Promo's Envoy

Cards others made that i altered

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 08:28:20 am by BryGuy »

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Barter & Trade
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 08:50:08 am »
+2

Adding cards is done with the [ img ] tag. Put [ img ] at the start of an image and [ /img ] at the end (remove the spaces in the tag names).

Between the [ img ] and [ /img ] tags, put the URL of the image. If you are using imgur, that is the "direct link", not the "image link". The link should end with the image's file type.

An example of such a link would be:
https://i.imgur.com/6pnCyxt.png

Then you put [ img ] before the URL and [ /img ] after it (without spaces).

You can see this example under here by clicking "quote" on the top right of this comment. It'll show you the markup I did in order to post the image.

As you can see, this image is too big. I can fix that by adding "width=something" inside the first img tag.

[ img width=250 ] (IMAGE URL HERE) [ /img ] (without spaces between the words and the [ or ])

If you clicked "quote" you can see the complete markup under here:

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 08:08:09 pm »

Thank you very much! Maybe the help could be updated with that?

What about images one has on their computer?

Do i have to upload all of them to a website first? Uugg i hope not.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 08:09:29 pm by BryGuy »

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 08:21:52 pm »

If the images are saved to your computer, saving them to a location with cloud saving allows you to upload images.

For example, I use a Mac and store my cards in a folder on my desktop. I can go to iCloud.com -> desktop -> dominion cards -> [contenue directory] -> open file. Then, right click and choose copy image address. It weirdly doesn’t show up to some people, and the file needs to be shared to anyone w/ link, but it is easier than uploading to a website.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 11:27:15 pm »
+8

Is there a reason the text of your posts is always so strangely formatted? I don't mean to be rude, I just find it very distracting; it feels like you're shouting through your computer at me.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 01:06:17 pm »

I went to the library yesterday and printed 16 sets of 10 cards. Today i'll go an print another 16 sets of 10 cards.
Once I cut these cards, i can put those 1st edition cards i removed to use. I'll stuff them with the new cards into card protectors. Just like my kids who made Magic the Gathering proxies.

I appreciate all those who's cards i am borrowing for this set.
4est
Asper
Carline
Co0kieL0rd
Erick648
ku5h
LastFootNote
scolapasta
spheremonk
Timinou
Xen3k

Next up remaking the Season card set without pink so i can print them. I'll use several of Carlin's cards too!
Then to Waves (current project name, not set) a set of cards that returns themselves to the Supply.
Eventually i'll get around to Alchemy 2nd edition (A2e) by providing cards to address its criticism.
Eventually i'll get around to Shadows (current project name, not set) - a set with new Heirlooms, Shelters, Ruins, Wrecks (like ruins).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 10:52:56 am by BryGuy »

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 10:54:16 am »

After play-testing these, i modified a few cards.
I added a few others' made that i modified.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 12:03:09 pm by BryGuy »

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 09:42:36 am »

I added Buyer's Remorse, Trail Blazer, Spy Glass, and Foreign Market.
I updated Rose Gem.

ttfn
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 10:13:31 am by BryGuy »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 05:55:40 am »
+2

Pass cards are an interesting concept but they are nearly all too weak as you seem to be oblivious to the implicit cantrip that all other plays get (they neither have to draw into the Pass card nor spend an Action to play it).

Take Smelting Fire. Player 1 net effects are: -1 Card, gain a $5, +1 Coffers at the end of your turn. All other plays get the same, limited to gaining what Player 1 gained but without the net effect of -1 Card.
That is simply super weak for a $5. You don't buy a common resource that does more for them than for you, especially not when there are plenty of me-only resources in the game.

Swap Token is even worse, you get less Coins than they get and again the -1 Card difference.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 10:01:16 pm »
+1

Swap Token is even worse, you get less Coins than they get and again the -1 Card difference.

How do you get less $ than your opponents? You get +$1 on top of getting +$1 per Pass card in play. You get $1 more than they do.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 10:03:48 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 01:44:01 am »
+1

I agree that most or all of the Pass cards could use a bigger buff for the first player, to incentivize buying them.
But assuming everyone is buying and playing them: especially if there are multiple Pass cards in a set, tracking seems like it would be a nightmare: even if I had enough player tokens, that would be annoying. Maybe a "pass mat" for each player, with a color for each player on it, to track who the first player was? Idk

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 03:07:00 am »
+1

How do you get less $ than your opponents? You get +$1 on top of getting +$1 per Pass card in play. You get $1 more than they do.
I misread. The card is nonetheless far too weak as one extra Coin does not compensate for having to draw into it. The resource is better for them than for you.
Same with the other Treasure. There is a delta of 2 Coins which is arguably better than -1 Card but not good enough to make up for it. If you bought Silver, you would have the same diff of Coins but at a cheaper price.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 03:12:42 am by segura »

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 08:24:29 am »
+1

Here are the old Pass cards for reference. Updated version will appear in the original post.

Pass Cards are passed to the right at the start of the Clean phase and put into that player's play area. Since already in play they do not use an Action, but must be played first, like Durations. Passed cards are not Gained, but in rotation. When returned to original player they are placed into their discard. If trashed by non-owner then returned to owner's discard pile instead. You may place your color token on the card to track.

4 Action & Pass

2 Treasure & Pass

1 Victory & Pass

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 08:34:19 am »
+1

Thank you all for the constructive criticism. I have update all of the Pass cards and added one more.

When we play with them, we have never used all of the tokens to track the cards. Even when we had a Kingdom with four, we still had plenty, granted one was not bought. Rose Gem appears the favorite, mostly for its trashing, followed by Trail Blazer, then Bargaining Chip.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 09:50:12 am »
+1

They look much better now. I like Regeneration, being able to Remodel Coppers into $3s is a cool idea.

I guess Nice is supposed to be a State but I think you have not posted it yet.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 10:10:42 am »

States:

I have several cards that include the language on Nice. So i made this state to reduce words on those cards. While most are a simple take Nice, Carline's Tale-Teller will take several.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 10:15:22 am by BryGuy »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.896 seconds with 21 queries.