Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion and Intrigue second editions  (Read 242151 times)

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion and Intrigue second editions
« Reply #500 on: October 07, 2016, 10:02:08 am »

I haven't gotten the sets yet. Is the trash mat bigger than tavern mats?
Yes. You can see both the tavern mat and trash mat in the last picture from werothegreats post above.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 07, 2016, 10:02:19 am »

Yes. It's mostly longer, not much taller though. It's the biggest mat Dominion has ever shipped with. It seems to comfortably hold three piles of trash cards (1 for unique treasures, 1 for 3-6 cost, 1 for the rest I guess)
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #502 on: October 07, 2016, 10:25:41 am »

Yes. You can see both the tavern mat and trash mat in the last picture from werothegreats post above.

Aha, I missed that. Well it's nice to have a trash mat now that I'm not really caring around my Big Box mat anymore.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 07, 2016, 04:12:47 pm »
+1

I have played one irl game yesterday. Artisan is actually better than I thought. While Altar trashes a card, you can either play the card you gained the same turn or top deck it and play it the next turn. This is really, really good, and if you already have decent trashing around, Artisan is by far way better than Altar. The top deck/put card in hand may actually make it better than Altar overall.

Harbinger. Chapel was on the board. Did not buy.

Merchant. Chapel was on the board, super easy to set up. Though, I think on boards with weak trashing, this won't be an exciting card, but with reasonable trashing, you have a $3-Peddler.

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 10, 2016, 08:36:52 am »
+1

As the 2nd editions get out and about, it's going to be harder and harder to get copies of the 12 removed cards. I know what I'd be like if I'd just found dominion right now, I'd start with the new editions, but, over time, I'd want to play with those 12 cards. Maybe they aren't that good, but I'd feel I'd want to decide that for myself.

So, I was wondering if there are any plans afoot to put out a "The lost cards" pack - just a little sort-of-expansion that gives you the 12 removed cards, for the people (like me) who like to have everything. It would be the crappiest dominion expansion ever, but hell I know I'd happily fork out a tenner for it if I had the 2nd editions. Variety is the spice of life, and some of those removed cards (woodcutter and chancellor) have featured importantly in some very fun games I've played. I know that the reason they're gone is sound - they aren't interesting very often, generally they're pretty much pointless on the board they're on - but in certain cases they can still be fun and important, so I'd want them involved in my randomisation so they could pop up every now and then.

I have very fond memories of winning a game with a treasureless engine of Library/Festival/Chancellor - I wouldn't want that oppurtunity denied to anyone :p
There are no such plans, and I hope there never are.

Here's how things look from my perspective: there are also no plans to publish all of the outtakes that weren't good enough. An endless parade of unpublished cards. I have plenty of fond memories there too.

I suppose that's fair. Why publish those 12 and not the ones that got mentioned in that ludicrously long Prosperity Secret History, or any of the millions of cards in that Outtakes thread. You have to at some point draw a line and say "this is Dominion" and "this isn't Dominion". People can add in whatever cards they like to their own games - you aren't stopping anyone from using Woodcutter anymore than you're stopping someone using a City that starts at L3 and costs 2. It's just not "Dominion".
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 10, 2016, 02:30:53 pm »
+11

A lot of you demanded it. So I made the second part about the 2nd Edition, now about the new cards. Enjoy!

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 10, 2016, 05:57:25 pm »
+2

I keep three sleeved blanks to mark empty piles. It has a nice visual impact.

I love this idea.

EDIT: Now I wish I'd thought of this as something to include in the second editions.

Well, it could make a nice promo, maybe offering it bundled with a "real" promo card-shaped thing.
A lot of games offer purely aesthetic content as promos, and it usually seems to go over quite well.

(sorry for the necro, I only noticed your edit now)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:58:05 am by Accatitippi »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 10, 2016, 07:08:13 pm »

I love this idea.

EDIT: Now I wish I'd thought of this as something to include in the second editions.

Well, it could make a nice promo, maybe offering it bundled with a "real" promo card-shaped thing.
A lot of games offer purely aesthetical content as promos, and it usually seems to go over quite well.

That actually sounds cool, 3 cards with different art that all say "empty pile" or so. Of course, it's not much for a promo, maybe if they bundled it with a purple tavern mat and tokens....
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 11, 2016, 12:22:05 am »
+5

I love this idea.

A lot of games offer purely aesthetical content as promos, and it usually seems to go over quite well.

Asthetical is not a word. Not trying to insult your intelligence, it just drives me crazy when people append -al to words to make them adjectives when the word is already an adjective.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 11, 2016, 02:56:44 am »
+4

I love this idea.

Asthetical is not a word. Not trying to insult your intelligence, it just drives me crazy when people append -al to words to make them adjectives when the word is already an adjective.

Thanks. When one learns a language by copying others some errors slip through and risk never being fixed. It's great to have them corrected.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 11, 2016, 07:19:01 am »
+2

I love this idea.

Thanks. When one learns a language by copying others some errors slip through and risk never being fixed. It's great to have them corrected.

I'm honestly just glad you didn't take that to be an insult.

Edit: Also, I never knew that English was your second language. As a side note, I know plenty of native English speakers that do it all the time
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:22:57 am by Doom_Shark »
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 11, 2016, 09:02:59 am »
+1

People seem down on Mill.

I don't get it. Surely it's the ultimate Alt-VP rush card. Gardens or Silk Road rushes are the ultimate time where "discard 2 cards for +2 coin" is a huge benefit, and Mill is a cantrip victory point, which is exactly what you want to be rushing in those sort of situations. I see Mill as maybe the elite Alt-VP rush card. Combining it with Silk Road in a rush would just be immense.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 11, 2016, 09:11:42 am »
+2

People seem down on Mill.

I don't get it. Surely it's the ultimate Alt-VP rush card. Gardens or Silk Road rushes are the ultimate time where "discard 2 cards for +2 coin" is a huge benefit, and Mill is a cantrip victory point, which is exactly what you want to be rushing in those sort of situations. I see Mill as maybe the elite Alt-VP rush card. Combining it with Silk Road in a rush would just be immense.

It's just a bit pricey for that role. You can't get too many Mill first, since it competes with Gardens / Silk Road for your $4 buy and you can't lose those splits. So you get them second, while struggling to hit $4. It'll still be a key rush card, just not as great as it looks at first glance. Clutch for Ironworks games though for sure.

Overall I like Mill way more than Great Hall, and I appreciate how I might actually buy it. It's very hard to not hit $5 in a normal deck when you have a Mill in hand. It's really a mini Vault.

bug me on discord

they/them

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #513 on: October 11, 2016, 10:05:47 am »
+2

I think Mill is almost as good as Horse Traders at hitting $5 in a deck where you want to do that (Duke, IGG, etc), plus it gives you a VP which is nice in those decks, and it's also more versatile.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 11, 2016, 06:12:57 pm »

I think Mill's best comparison is Oasis. Unlike Oasis, there's not a critical quantity where it starts hurting your deck (unless you're playing a deck that hates cantrips), and it can count as two Oases if you discard two bad cards. If you discard a Copper, the result can be approximated to playing just one Oasis.
Sometimes the double discard might get unwieldy, I guess - but it's not nearly as bad as Oasis' mandatory discard.
So, it's almost strictly better than Oasis, for a quite insignificant cost increase. Oasis might not be amazing, but it's not weak either, and I expect Mill to fare about as well in the 4$ rankings. (4-ers are definitively a more competitive bunch than 3ers)

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 11, 2016, 06:18:40 pm »

Opening Mill in engines looks so good. You easily hit five without buying Silver and it isn't a stopcard later on.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 11, 2016, 06:29:35 pm »
+1

I think Mill is almost as good as Horse Traders at hitting $5 in a deck where you want to do that (Duke, IGG, etc), plus it gives you a VP which is nice in those decks, and it's also more versatile.

Horse Traders: +$3, discard two, +buy
Mill: +1 Card, +$2, discard two

It cycles, and it is optional as well. Mill is fantastic, and I have no idea why people say it is weak.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 11, 2016, 10:23:47 pm »

It cycles, and it is optional as well. Mill is fantastic, and I have no idea why people say it is weak.
Horse traders isn't the best card ever.

RevanFan

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 11, 2016, 10:31:20 pm »

I'm planning to get a game in with some of the new cards on Thursday. I may have to post my thoughts after I do.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 12, 2016, 12:33:03 am »

My local game store has been slow in getting them; I won't be able to buy it til Monday, and getting it online now will probably take the same amount of time to get it here. Wjy Monday? Because when I went yesterday, they said the would have them within the week. I was so looking forward to poacher; really glad to see the "cares about empty piles" thing done again. Tried to make some fan cards with that once, but they didn't work out. Besides, that's for another thread.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 12, 2016, 12:53:34 am »

Horse traders isn't the best card ever.

A big part of why it sucks is because it's a terminal and because it requires you to discard. Mill is neither of those things!

bug me on discord

they/them

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 12, 2016, 01:15:27 am »

A big part of why it sucks is because it's a terminal and because it requires you to discard. Mill is neither of those things!

A big part of why it costs $4 is the reaction

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 12, 2016, 08:49:29 am »

And the +Buy.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 12, 2016, 09:00:28 am »

Yes. I'm pretty sure in a Militia game you prefer a Reaction that defends against that over a cantrip. Even in a game against Witch, the additional card makes HT behave exactly like an optional cantrip - with more money. I'd go so far as to say that the absence of any (reasonably strong) attack buffs Horse Trader enough to overshadow Mill. Provided of course there's no synergy that buffs Mill itself, like Ironworks, Silk Road etc..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:01:29 am by Asper »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 12, 2016, 09:44:16 am »

I'd go so far as to say that the absence of any (reasonably strong) attack buffs Horse Trader enough to overshadow Mill.

I think you meant presence here. :)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25  All

Page created in 2.253 seconds with 20 queries.