Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: let's discuss matters of empires: advance!  (Read 7557 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
let's discuss matters of empires: advance!
« on: July 11, 2016, 06:20:10 pm »
+2

fanfare! let's burn a thing in commemoration.

someone makes the linear transition from non-knight to knight. the candlestick makers are gonna be empty turn 4, and they'll all be in the trash before your mom has the chance to light up her e-cigarette and say "home videos" in a soothing, yet weary voice. everyone goes mad, and babies will be living paycheck to paycheck except it doesn't matter because we'll throw them in the dumpster and collect our nobles, just like in roman times.

it smells pretty board defining, but alms had the faintest tinge of that scent as well and we sort of uncommonly find boards with it at the center. the thing about it is that there are two cracks for the variation to seep in: there ought to be something accessible on the left side and something compelling on the right side for it to work out, but hey, don't blink.

-is it gonna be board defining? will advance boards be "advance boards"
-what's the big exciting combo that isn't fortress?
-has the world collapsed yet? is morality dead? i mean, the window will always be there i guess.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:39:50 pm by schadd »
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: let's discuss discuss matters of empires: advance!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 06:39:28 pm »

Rats.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: let's discuss matters of empires: advance!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 06:59:19 pm »

Advance looks okay. I think the event will get bought but not be anything game shattering on most boards

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 07:03:25 pm »
+1

Squire.

Stonemason?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 07:05:11 pm »
+2

Pawn, CSM, Rats, Market Square, really anything nonterminal that's easy to get and ideally also has +Buy. Ironworks variants can gain you the cheap shit you trash for the better shit. Magpie probably works with this too.

You can trash a Squre you get with this and get 2 Goons. Cool huh.

One synergy is of course Necropolis; you usually can get something great turn 1 or 2.

This will definitely be game defining, moreso than Alms I think? Like Alms, you can potentially completely skip treasure economy with this, and gain cool shit on otherwise dud turns.

It's important to note you can buy this as many times as you have Buys for in a turn.

Looters are complete garbage with this in play.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 07:06:21 pm »
+1

I think most games even if it doesn't star you'll use it at least once or twice to get something for your Chapel/Sea Hag/whatever.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 07:07:49 pm »

I think it shines in Shelters boards where you can rid of your Necropolis to get a strong $6. Also it's nice to get rid of Ruins.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 07:08:48 pm »
+4

Looters are complete garbage with this in play.

Except Death Cart. :P

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 08:04:28 pm »

Trash a Necropolis. Seems fun.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 08:23:42 pm »
+1

With Advance on the board, most cheap cards could be considered to be a Feast that costs a buy instead of an action to play.  (Advance can gain $6 cards as well, but it'll probably be used for $5 cards most of the time.)  That sounds pretty good on an engine board with lots of +Buy, such as one using Worker's Village or Market or Bridge, but if buys are limited this will probably be left alone most of the time.  It's definitely something to consider on any board, but it probably won't be game-defining.

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 08:27:48 pm »
+1

I haven't had a chance to play Advance yet :( At first glance, Advance seems pretty cool, but requiring an action card in the first place means you need multiple pieces on the board to make this worthwhile, and the right pieces need to be good choices too. Usually you're just Remodeling or Expanding an action up, which can still be decent option.

It's probably not worth using Advance to go just $1 up on an action though unless the resulting card is hotly contested. Like how often does it make sense to be trading a Worker's Village for a Mandarin, or a Count, or a Margrave? You bought the Worker's Village for some reason right, and it's probably more important than Advance fodder, and you can eventually just buy those cards anyway for their given cost. On the other hand I might be fine with doing the same trade for a Minion or a Laboratory, if I feel that contesting for said actions is necessary.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:29:42 pm by FishingVillage »

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 08:38:10 pm »

I played a game with Advance yesterday. it didn't do a whole lot. It got used twice. Once because a player decided a card they bought was a wrong choice and they wanted to replace it. Then again when I had a hand with two terminals and only $1. So I trashed one for a five cost and then rebought the trashed card on my next turn. There wasn't any +buy on that board though.

With extra buy, advance might make picking up random pearl divers or something on an extra $2 more valuable? Also, advance can kinda make expensive action cards like debt cards. Want an early Altar? Spend $3 on your second turn to pick up a random action, on your third turn buy Advance to trash it into the Altar.

It's probably not worth using Advance to go just $1 up on an action though unless the resulting card is hotly contested. Like how often does it make sense to be trading a Worker's Village for a Mandarin...

Now I'm curious: when is Mandarin ever a hotly contested card?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:41:33 pm by tripwire »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 09:06:45 pm »

From my experience with advance, half of the boards it will be amazing (Squire, +Buy cheap, Goons, Fortress, BV, cheap gainers), half it will be useless for the most part.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 10:05:44 pm »

Now I'm curious: when is Mandarin ever a hotly contested card?
In mandrin golden deck mirrors.

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 10:12:12 pm »
+1

I think this is going to have fun interactions with Ruins, though I don't know if it's going to be able to save Cultist games just by itself.

Also Grand Market seems like a cute thing to use this with on the "right side" of the advancement.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 11:39:58 pm »
+1

♫  I  ♫
♫  have ♫
♫  not  ♫
♫  played with this  ♫
♫  caaaaaaaaaard  ♫
♫  yet  ♫
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 10:43:05 am »

I played a game with Advance last night.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15881.msg618561#msg618561

Buys were thin, and there wasn't much for cheap cards that you wanted to get just to Advance them.  I think we may have each used it once. I Advanced one of my Patricians to win the City split, but it was drawing more often than not, and I couldn't replace it, so it wasn't something that felt amazing.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 10:45:01 am »
+1

If you guys get the chance, play the Tomb of the Rat King suggested kingdom. It's so good, and really shows the power of Advance on a board tailored to it, even with really limited +Buy.

Hint: try and avoid using Advance on too many Rats.

bug me on discord

they/them

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 10:54:03 am »
+2

If you guys get the chance, play the Tomb of the Rat King suggested kingdom. It's so good, and really shows the power of Advance on a board tailored to it, even with really limited +Buy.

huh... Rats/Fortress/Tomb seems potentially broken. If you don't contest that, it could be pretty insurmountable.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 01:08:58 pm »

huh... Rats/Fortress/Tomb seems potentially broken. If you don't contest that, it could be pretty insurmountable.

You get to a point in that deck where if you don't contest Rats you are literally gaining 20+ points a turn just trashing Fortress over and over again. It's crazy. Add in City Quarter for a little draw and a quick Death Cart or two to pay off some debt and you're off.

bug me on discord

they/them

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 03:10:36 pm »

You get to a point in that deck where if you don't contest Rats you are literally gaining 20+ points a turn just trashing Fortress over and over again. It's crazy. Add in City Quarter for a little draw and a quick Death Cart or two to pay off some debt and you're off.
You olny get 20vp if you draw fortress in your first 5 or your first draw after rats.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 03:17:13 pm »
+1

Rats.

One problem with this is that you lose the benefit of Rats' +1 card when trashed... you can't do anything with the card you draw.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 03:17:33 pm »
+1

You olny get 20vp if you draw fortress in your first 5 or your first draw after rats.

With City Quarter, Storeroom, etc it is super super easy to get to that point on this board.

bug me on discord

they/them

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 05:01:35 pm »

I hate Cultist so I'm glad to see a hard counter to it.

That's all I can say for now.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 05:38:31 pm »

Rats.

One problem with this is that you lose the benefit of Rats' +1 card when trashed... you can't do anything with the card you draw.

True, but with no other trashing, Copper-->Rats-->good card can be pretty good.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.439 seconds with 21 queries.