Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 75  All

Author Topic: Mafia XV - GAME OVER - TOWN WINS  (Read 161300 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XV - Day 1 - Spec QT available w/mini game
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2012, 01:47:51 pm »

Is that RVS, Eevee? Or do you think it's scummy to be annoyed by a night-start PR kill? It just seems like it's going to make this game an uphill battle from Day 1. Granted, we're no strangers to losing PRs early and often.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2012, 01:53:19 pm »

Idk, I don't believe in true RVS, casting votes for no reason whatsoever is just a distraction to me. Your post felt sort of forced, like the famous "geez that sucked" after a power role gets nightkilled or something. The fact that a power role might die night 0 has been take into account when balancing the setup. The vig firing one of our own and getting shot by mafia is unfortunate, but if we manage to lynch mafia today, we'd be in GREAT shape again so I don't see a reason to get annoyed.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2012, 02:07:21 pm »

Idk, I don't believe in true RVS, casting votes for no reason whatsoever is just a distraction to me. Your post felt sort of forced, like the famous "geez that sucked" after a power role gets nightkilled or something. The fact that a power role might die night 0 has been take into account when balancing the setup. The vig firing one of our own and getting shot by mafia is unfortunate, but if we manage to lynch mafia today, we'd be in GREAT shape again so I don't see a reason to get annoyed.

I think it's almost certain that Cuzz didn't fire.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2012, 02:12:08 pm »

RVS, VT, WIFOM, FOS.
It's hard to read for me with that many abbreviations. RVS means Random Vote, right? But I'm still missing the S here.
And what is FOS?

Another question: Shouldn't there be 3 night kills or do I miss something? Mafia, Vigilante and Serial Killer.
@Eevee: I don't think the viligante did one of the kills. I rather think it was the Serial Killer.

@TheMunch: I wasn't arguing about not knowing about Dominion, rather than posting in Dominion threads, but fine: unvote.

Let's generate some discussion: Vote:Grujah

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2012, 02:16:10 pm »

RVS - Random voting stage
VT - Vanilla Townie, someone without a power.
WIFOM - Wine in front of me
FOS - Finger of Suspicion

Commonly used abbreviations: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Commonly_Used_Abbreviations

We don't use all of them, but we do use some.

The two kills are most definitely the SK (serial killer) and mafia.  It's very antitown to just randomly shoot pregame, and I think Cuzz is a better player than that.

Vote: Joth

I agree that his annoyance sounds very forced.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2012, 02:16:28 pm »

Random Vote Stage, Vanilla Townie, Wine in Front of Me, Finger of Suspicion.

I get Robz getting shot, but I don't think it was that wise for scum to do. Mleh.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2012, 02:19:37 pm »

Lol sorry. I once again fail at reading the setup. Carry on.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2012, 02:27:50 pm »

RVS, VT, WIFOM, FOS.
It's hard to read for me with that many abbreviations. RVS means Random Vote, right? But I'm still missing the S here.
And what is FOS?

Another question: Shouldn't there be 3 night kills or do I miss something? Mafia, Vigilante and Serial Killer.
@Eevee: I don't think the viligante did one of the kills. I rather think it was the Serial Killer.

@TheMunch: I wasn't arguing about not knowing about Dominion, rather than posting in Dominion threads, but fine: unvote.

Let's generate some discussion: Vote:Grujah

RVS: Random Vote Stage
VT: Vanilla Town - regular dude who can only vote
WIFOM: Wine in front of Me (Princess bride reference)
FOS: Finger of Suspicion - short hand for calling attention to someone without voting for whatever reason.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2012, 02:28:59 pm »

RVS - Random voting stage
VT - Vanilla Townie, someone without a power.
WIFOM - Wine in front of me
FOS - Finger of Suspicion

Commonly used abbreviations: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Commonly_Used_Abbreviations

We don't use all of them, but we do use some.

The two kills are most definitely the SK (serial killer) and mafia.  It's very antitown to just randomly shoot pregame, and I think Cuzz is a better player than that.

Vote: Joth

I agree that his annoyance sounds very forced.

With 4 scum targets, and 2 other PRs, random shooting probably does make sense.  I think theorel did some simulations in another game.

Also - its very possible that the vig switch was disabled last night, so even if Cuzz wanted to shoot, it might not have worked.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2012, 04:06:55 pm »

Bump?  Come on guys, Day 1 RVS is exciting times, rather than the outcome of an election that is 90% decided.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2012, 04:22:03 pm »

Bump?  Come on guys, Day 1 RVS is exciting times, rather than the outcome of an election that is 90% decided.

I don't know what to say to be honest. Thanks for the translation. I already knew all beside of FoS, it was the sum of the abbrevations that was too much.
Vigilante Switch might be disabled yes, but I understand that's really risky to shoot in the dark as vigilante either way.
So that means it's likely that SK and Mafia did the two kills. What do everyone think who was killed by which faction exactly?
I don't know if this important, I just want to generate some discussion. In that way, vote: ashersky.
What is the general play in Day 1? I mean we have basically no information. We cannot do anything else than random vote.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2012, 04:35:48 pm »

Vote: Eevee for espousing the lynch all newbies mantra of the Late Robz888.  We saw how that worked out.  Double points for referencing it and acting like that's not what he's doing.

Vote: Munch for reading the freaking flavour when this is not that type of game.  Also, if someone can killmod, instead of modkill, that's OP for either side.

Vote: Qvist, standard OMGUS.

Vote: joth for fake indignation at the Night Start.

Vote: Frisk for killing Robz, because Frisk didn't want to die again so soon, and for immediately deflecting attention to Galz, when he knows he's always obvscum and Robz can sniff it out!
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2012, 05:41:47 pm »

I don't know what to say to be honest. Thanks for the translation. I already knew all beside of FoS, it was the sum of the abbrevations that was too much.
Vigilante Switch might be disabled yes, but I understand that's really risky to shoot in the dark as vigilante either way.
So that means it's likely that SK and Mafia did the two kills. What do everyone think who was killed by which faction exactly?
I don't know if this important, I just want to generate some discussion. In that way, vote: ashersky.
What is the general play in Day 1? I mean we have basically no information. We cannot do anything else than random vote.

We have way more info than a normal Day 1. Also, ashersky, that was more real frustration than fake indignation. I'd be interested to see someone put together F.DS stats, but I rather suspect the "Well this sucks" is an overrated "scumslip."

I'll be out for the evening, may or may not be back on tonight. BIG day at work tomorrow, need my beauty sleep.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2012, 05:43:52 pm »

I'd be interested to see someone put together F.DS stats, but I rather suspect the "Well this sucks" is an overrated "scumslip."
This I 100% agree with.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2012, 10:17:36 pm »

Really? No posts in 5 hours?

He/him

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2012, 01:33:05 am »

Really? No posts in 5 hours?

there was an election! plus i was playing IRL mafia with my friends. anyway, galzria, the election is over, your job is to be back immediately or else face instant fists full of fos's.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2012, 09:42:12 am »

theory talk soon.

basically town is screwed is the tl;dr.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2012, 10:00:59 am »

as i was fleshing things out i realized that theory-posting profoundly helps scum and i don't want to explain this argument as i think explaining it helps scum too. i recognize that this is a frustrating position to take, sorry. i feel very strongly about it.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2012, 10:16:30 am »

The (only) important theory question to ask, I think, is "Is there game-breaking claim strategy that needs to be implemented now?"  And I think the answer to that is unequivocally "no," given that we have no guarantee any given night action will actually work. That rules out FTC, unless we want to place our fate in the hands of WIFOM between scum and SK.

He/him

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2012, 11:16:32 am »

The (only) important theory question to ask, I think, is "Is there game-breaking claim strategy that needs to be implemented now?"  And I think the answer to that is unequivocally "no," given that we have no guarantee any given night action will actually work. That rules out FTC, unless we want to place our fate in the hands of WIFOM between scum and SK.

yeah i like theory talk in general cause it gives me something to do on day one but not in this game...

presumably we should analyze the night kills, but i don't really have anything to say

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2012, 12:20:53 pm »

as i was fleshing things out i realized that theory-posting profoundly helps scum and i don't want to explain this argument as i think explaining it helps scum too. i recognize that this is a frustrating position to take, sorry. i feel very strongly about it.

I don't understand a word. And how can you have a theory already? And why are we screwed?
And is this normal that it is so quiet here? Are all celebrating election parties? yuma hasn't even posted yet...

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2012, 12:26:25 pm »

I don't understand a word. And how can you have a theory already? And why are we screwed?
And is this normal that it is so quiet here? Are all celebrating election parties? yuma hasn't even posted yet...

sorry, more mafia slang. by "theory" i mean "abstract discussion about the game set-up, like, what should the so-and-so special role do and what choices do we expect so-and-so to make." I think that discussion is very dangerous and should not be engaged in.

not "theory" in the sense of "i have a theory about who the mafia is." if i have a theory about who the mafia is, i will definitely let you know!!

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2012, 12:29:13 pm »

Qvist: I know English isn't your first language, so I think you might be getting hungup on the multiple uses of the word "theory" - A theory is like, a particular idea of what is the case. Theory (without an article) just refers to metadiscussion of the game or setup. So ehunt is saying that discussion of the setup; attemps to break it, etc., is better for scum than town right now.

theory is also, of course, the guy who made this site.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2012, 12:30:24 pm »

ninja'd by ehunt who explained it better. hope I didn't come off as condescending there, QV.

He/him

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2012, 12:35:09 pm »

Ah ok. Not knowing mafia very well and that English isn't my first language were the reasons I haven't joined Mafia earlier. But like Dominion, maybe I just have to play more often to understand. ;)
Thanks for the clarifications.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 75  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.