Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The Rising Jaguar  (Read 13096 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
The Rising Jaguar
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:40:43 am »

As we all know, last year's tourney was a marquee event in the dominion community highlighted with many great headliner stories.  But perhaps the most celebrated was the story of the underdog(cat) Rising Jaguar making a historic run through the tournament culminating in a 3rd place victory against WanderingWinder.  Last year, he was the 47th overall seed making this year's "Rising Jaguar" Geronimoo.  However seeing as Geronimoo has been ranked #1, I would hardly classify a run by him a Cinderella story.  So who will it be this year?  I'm going to have to go with overall seed #41 and US Champ dondon151.  With a mere 207 iso games logged I feel he is a grossly underrated and highly skilled player.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: The Rising Jaguar
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 12:25:50 pm »

I like Allfail/timchen's chances here.  He placed very well last year, only losing to WW in a very close set.  Was among the elites at one point then his level took a hit after he stopped playing as much.  Ironically in the same bracket as Dondon though. 

Also already won his first match!

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:52:41 pm »
+1

Watch me lose my first round set.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:59:11 pm »

Will do.  Just say when and where.  Skype it?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:27:42 pm by () | (_) ^/ »

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 01:43:50 pm »
+6

I played against Dondon in Chicago and since he didn't play online at the time he said he had never really played with Cornucopia cards before, right before destroying me with a much better hamlet/menagerie engine than my own. It made me very sad.

(This is now the official Dondon151 topic)

CPFB

• Swindler
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 03:49:07 pm »
+4

I'm hoping so. :)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:56:18 pm »
+1

I'll put in my vote for ednever.  He rose to the high ratings like a phoenix this year and is not a player to be trifled with.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 04:04:48 pm »
+1

I'll put in my vote for ednever.  He rose to the high ratings like a phoenix this year and is not a player to be trifled with.

YES!  I tried trifling with him, it didn't work out so well.  He is excellent.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 04:35:44 pm »
+5

Does it count if it's someone we already know is very good though? Geroniimo was #1 already, dondon only has low level because he hasnt played on iso (damn impressive to get that good without though, geez) and ednever already won a tournament beating a bunch of high level opponents (and me, twice). You can't predict a true cinderella!

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 04:37:38 pm »
+1

Is that a campaign speech I'm hearing, Eevee?
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 04:41:15 pm »
+1

But, but, he's in my bracket  ;)

For those who are curious, ed and I have already met in a high stakes game.  At a US regional qualifier we clashed in the semifinals where ed edged me by I think 2 points in a SR/Harem/Haggler/Oasis/Scout alt VP style game.  If we happen to meet again I hope all the games are as good as that one was!
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:45:02 pm »

Lol, it isn't. I think I've found my place in the skill map of dominion; I'm okay, but not great. Definitely no match to the top players. Apparently hit level 43 today, I pretty much think this is my ceiling. I hate playing the level 50 guys because I never beat them ever.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 04:47:54 pm »

I hit level 43 once and have been falling ever since, so I also think I have hit my ceiling.  I'm confident I play like a Level 40 at my best, but man, my best isn't around enough.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 04:48:45 pm »

In contrast to the match above, the one time ednever and I met in a high stakes environment, I opened Chapel/Torturer to ed's 4/3 open in the last position of a 3-player match.

US national champion title is nice, but the only decent-good competition that I faced on the way there were Forge!! and ed. The championship finals was literally decided by me opening Witch on a board with no other options. I've probably played level 35+ players a total of ~20 times on Iso and got crushed in half of those matches. So I think y'all are giving me too much credit :P

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 04:58:31 pm »

It's interesting to see my name on the board! Sadly, as I can notice pretty easily my current game is about what my current level suggests.

The culprit is that now the only way I practice is to play 6p games on androminion. That is sometimes fun, actually...

jonts26

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 05:29:38 pm »
+1

Lol, it isn't. I think I've found my place in the skill map of dominion; I'm okay, but not great. Definitely no match to the top players. Apparently hit level 43 today, I pretty much think this is my ceiling. I hate playing the level 50 guys because I never beat them ever.

Pretty sure you beat me once yesterday.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 04:18:09 pm »

Prediction: It turns out that the level -22 Teensnor is actually a Paralyzed/Ozymandias II dummy account in disguise, and he wins every game with ease using an extremely advanced hidden point tracker extension modification.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 08:41:38 pm »
+5

If there really are some dark horses then they could well not be English speakers, unknown on the message boards and iso, but regular players on other applications or face to face. Half way through the tournament we could be asking who some guy is only for a poster to tell us that she is the Russian national champion, a chess grandmaster, and niece of Gary Kasparov.

Slyfox

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 08:39:34 pm »

Oh great, my first tournament ever and my second round game runs smack into the 2012 U.S. champ, dondon151 (assuming he wins his first round match, of course).  Well, I look forward to it as, an, uh, learning opportunity.  :)

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 08:52:57 pm »
+2

Oh great, my first tournament ever and my second round game runs smack into the 2012 U.S. champ, dondon151 (assuming he wins his first round match, of course).  Well, I look forward to it as, an, uh, learning opportunity.  :)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 02:22:07 pm »

But, but, he's in my bracket  ;)

For those who are curious, ed and I have already met in a high stakes game.  At a US regional qualifier we clashed in the semifinals where ed edged me by I think 2 points in a SR/Harem/Haggler/Oasis/Scout alt VP style game.  If we happen to meet again I hope all the games are as good as that one was!

I think that game may have been the best high-stakes game I've played irl. Better than the Detroit final. And better than the finals games at the US Championships (although DonDon: I definitely did not play that chapel/BV/Torturer game right. From third seat after seeing your 5/2 open I should have opened chapel/ironworks, loaded up on great halls, trashed incoming Torturer curses and settled on a solid 2nd place. Instead of the distant third I managed...)

SB- the only reason I took you in that game is that I forced an ending on piles. And that would not have worked if the third player hadn't gone for a divergent strategy (the right play for him I think) and helped empty the Duchy pile.

That game could easily gone either way. Andvuounhad those super powered Scouts..,

Also: the two of us could meet pretty early in this tournament. I just hope I last that long to be eliminated by you, instead of getting "upset"

For everyone else:
I don't think I've ever played Rising J, but I've played Obi a lot, and I haven't faired very well most of the time. I think I would have to be very very lucky to win the Gardens Division.

But thanks for thinking of me!

Ed

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 05:02:40 pm »
+3

what about this zporiri fella? i heard he made it to the BGG tournament semi's as a level 22, went from level 22 to 37 in under two months, and has beaten many level 40's :P

although ive been so busy with school work lately so ive slipped to 31 due to playing hardly at all. although i can guarantee that will lose in the next round for writing this post haha
Go, and do likewise.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 01:03:51 am »

I don't want to jinx anything, but my man is still in!

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 02:08:30 am »
+1

Boy, now I feel like a horse at the tracks.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 03:25:49 am »

My bets are still on LordHedgie. I mean he beat me in Round 1. He has to win this thing. And he beat Marin, so he has a decent chance, right?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.