Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: IsoDom 5: Round 1 Thread  (Read 37900 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom 5: Round 1 Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 07:38:45 pm »

My opponent didn't show up. Will try to reschedule.

kulap

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 12:56:36 am »
+1

lespeutere 66 - qmech 44
Governor is still a tricky card.  Fool's Gold was probably a mistake.  It took a while for my Scheme cover to kick in against Young Witch.  I'm non the wiser about how to play Governor now.

qmech 47 - lespeutere 32
Mountebanks lead to Governor almost being ignored.  The single copies did a lot of work though, so this isn't a good example for Robz.

Well, it's a good example of how Governor is hard to pass up entirely, even on a board where it doesn't dominate.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 02:42:47 am »

Stumbled into Tlloyd during auto-match, we agreed to play for Iso before it begins.  I don't think he realized it was bo5 because he bolted out the door after the first game.  I will try my best to finish out the series - although I'm slightly worried that he may have quit Dominion for the rest of his life after THIS.  The dumbest luckiest comeback I have ever put on somebody. 

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 08:15:25 am »

@Obi Wan Bonogi: Seems like Monument and King's Court are always present when the most epic comebacks are made.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 08:32:04 am »

Comments on rspeer-YoungNick:
Game 1: I would think that BM-Wharf beats what either of you did.... tribute is all that's there for an engine, and it shouldn't be reliable enough against a BM-Wharf deck, I don't think.
Game 5: VERY interesting. I'm not totally sure that scrying pools or spice merchant are the greatest here, but they might well be. I do know that ironworks is amazing, whatever you do.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 08:34:29 am »

Fabian-Bug.
Game 1: I'm confused by the decision to go treasure maps here. Talisman is really not much of an enabler, at least I didn't think, and this board screams out engine to me. But you know, Fabian is really good, so maybe I'm missing something?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 08:42:49 am »

lespeuture-qmech:
Game 3: So, does trader REALLY help that much? People seem to be in love with that card around here, and I'm not so convinced it's worth it in such games.
Game 5: Apothecary-venture is an interesting idea which hasn't really occurred to me, but I can't help but wonder how it fares against a more conventional BM strategy.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 08:47:31 am »

greatexpectations-kulap:
Game 1: I'm not understanding why Ironworks/Silk Road isn't played here. I mean, KC and TR and Wharf and familiar and potentially governor are all very nice cards, but I don't see them overcoming.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 08:51:24 am »

Bonogi: Maybe I'm missing something. Let's grab the CR log. Hmm, it doesn't have the nice thing at the bottom where you can see the score and deck compositions at every step (bug?). In any case, it looks like quite a good comeback, but not something that I'd call the biggest thing ever.

I guess you haven't seen this ;)

jmieden

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 09:06:47 am »

Smithe-3 jmieden-0

Game 1:http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120611-180815-6d5c9110.html
Game 2:http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120611-181754-f5498393.html
Game 3:http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120611-182535-84b1a3ab.html

Game 1: Smithe 50, jmieden 39- I ignored the Ghost Ships and went with Nobles early and I think that was the defining feature of the direction of the game. I also picked up defenses for the impending curse war (Mountebank, Young Witch (WW bane), and Familiar were all out, but almost completely unbought) that never happened (I had 1 Mountebank in the end, he only stocked Ghost Ship and Nobles). He had 3 provinces by turn 15 and I greened early and stalled out.

Game 2: Smithe 74, jmieden 56- Goons game with potential for Workers Village/Rabble engine. I just couldn't get going at all. I didn't get $6 until turn 11, he had a lot of smart buys and this ended up not being close.

Game 3: Smithe 50, jmieden 47- Close game; I wasn't paying attention to how many colonies were left and had tons of collision on my Mountebanks early, whereas he pulled Steward with each curse I sent him. I was frustrated and wasn't thinking well and he outplayed me. 

Overall: Smithe 3- jmieden 0. I do think I got some bad luck in a couple cases, but was generally just outplayed. I didn't keep in mind basic principles like PPR and counting my terminals and he rolled right over me. Thanks to Smithe for 3 great games.

If anybody has any advice for me on how I should have handled these games better, I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks!

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 10:29:43 am »

greatexpectations-kulap:
Game 1: I'm not understanding why Ironworks/Silk Road isn't played here. I mean, KC and TR and Wharf and familiar and potentially governor are all very nice cards, but I don't see them overcoming.

ugh, this one was a mess by me.  i opened IW planning on grabbing the potion for familiar as i did and then going hard for SR.  i saw he didn't appear to be contesting SR so i figured i would try to grab some wharves and try for a couple farmlands and maybe a province or two.  my strategy was starting to unravel, and this was compounded by the potion missing the shuffle and the familiar being drawn dead every time.

if not for IW/SR, i think KC/wharf with 1-2 governors was the best bet.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 10:41:35 am »

Game 2: Smithe 74, jmieden 56- Goons game with potential for Workers Village/Rabble engine. I just couldn't get going at all. I didn't get $6 until turn 11, he had a lot of smart buys and this ended up not being close.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I definitely would have gone silver over lighthouse early in that game when you had $3. I think this could have improved your luck, if only marginally. I also wouldn't have given up and started buying a whole bunch of estates and coppers at the middle-end instead of continuing to try to match up your goons. He had to buy out all the provinces, you had plenty of time to keep building your engine and get it functioning.
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2012, 10:54:04 am »
+1

Bonogi: Maybe I'm missing something. Let's grab the CR log. Hmm, it doesn't have the nice thing at the bottom where you can see the score and deck compositions at every step (bug?). In any case, it looks like quite a good comeback, but not something that I'd call the biggest thing ever.

I guess you haven't seen this ;)

I re-watch this one periodically, always convinced it was a hallucination. "There's just no way I lost, right? Right? Surely, I win this turn. Okay, this turn I end it. Really, it has to... Nooooooo!"

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 11:18:56 am »

lespeuture-qmech:
Game 3: So, does trader REALLY help that much? People seem to be in love with that card around here, and I'm not so convinced it's worth it in such games.
Game 5: Apothecary-venture is an interesting idea which hasn't really occurred to me, but I can't help but wonder how it fares against a more conventional BM strategy.
You mean it didn't occur to you here, or it never occured to you? Last case'd make me a little proud, gotta admit.
+buy would've been nice to grab apothecary + venture. I think then it has a decent chance.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:33:27 am by lespeutere »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 11:40:02 am »

lespeuture-qmech:
You mean it didn't occur to you here, or it never occured to you? Last case'd make me a little proud, gotta admit.
+buy would've been nice to grab apothecary + venture. I think then it has a decent chance.
Never occurred to me as a thing. Not that there's been all that much reason, but... well, I do think it's clever. Doubt it's like mega-strong, but very clever. And pretty reasonably good in one of those vacuums where there's no other power strategy.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 12:30:25 pm »

Fabian-Bug.
Game 1: I'm confused by the decision to go treasure maps here. Talisman is really not much of an enabler, at least I didn't think, and this board screams out engine to me. But you know, Fabian is really good, so maybe I'm missing something?

I'm not happy with my play here. My feeling was that Talisman would be good in the early game to win Hamlet and Fishing Village wars. It would then be used in the midgame, after you had some Rabbles (and a KC if you're lucky) to boost your purchasing power with Treasure Map, since I felt this would turn into one of those games where you can't buy King's Court very easily since your deck has no treasure, and once you have your KC's you can't do very much since your deck has no treasure. I still think Treasure Map has merit on this board (look how slowly bug's deck, basically what I envisioned minus the TM's, operates, having to buy super awkward Golds which ideally should be Rabbles or KC's), but I'm quite unhappy with what I talked myself into doing. That said, I got very lucky with them and should be a huge favorite to win from turn ~6 and on.

Edit: Felt like trying it out, something like this is roughly what I had in mind. 6 Provines in 16 turns with nothing special in the luck department I think? It's certainly not an attempt at a "perfect" game, in any case :) Note that I open Talisman/Hamlet to mimick my actual game where I had $5/$2 (I'd definitely prefer Talisman/Fishing Village)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:46:07 pm by Fabian »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 03:58:38 pm »

Here are my games against bedlam.
Previously I dropped down to level 22 after a long hiatus and I did some playtesting, falling down to even level 19, so I wasn't that confident.

Qvist 56 - 51 bedlam
This basically a Wharf-BM mirror match, with the addition of Goons. I don't know if skipping Goons would even be better. What do you think? My earlier Expand might have given me the win.

bedlam 40 - 77 Qvist
Nothing very good in the cheap range here in this Colony game, so we bought Highways for $5 in another mirror match and switched then over to Cities. He did the mistake to green too early instead of buying more Cities what gave me the win.

bedlam 41 - 40 Qvist
5/2 was definitely Mint/Fool's Gold for me. But I hit 2 times Mint + Copper + 3 Estates what was crucial. Then I thought that I had to hurry and went green way too early and stalled badly. So he could catch up and won by a 1-point margin.

Qvist 37 - 21 bedlam
bedlam tried to combine Coppersmith and Counting House, but that was a little bit too complicated, because he didn't pick up additional actions with Crossroads and additional buys with Pawn.  I went basically Rabble-BM with a Salvager mixed in, for a clear win.

We decided to play the fifth game even though it was over.

bedlam 30 - 53 Qvist
This was an interesting game in which I decided to skip King's Court. I had no idea what to do. What would you've done with
Baron, Bishop, Forge, Fortune Teller, Horn of Plenty, King's Court, Lighthouse, Lookout, Potion, Talisman, and University?

I thought a while and with no good action to play three times, I tried to build the Golden Deck with Forge/Bishop, because there was Baron to get Forge early. It was the first time for me to try this. It took a while and I made 1-2 mistakes, but then it worked really nice. bedlam tried something too tricky with Talisman to get multiple Bishops, but that there was no Village beside of University to get it done.

Thanks bedlam for the nice games and the discussion.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:07:47 pm by Qvist »

turkman

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »

Jorbles [2 wins] and Turkman [3 wins]

First player won the first four games with both players following the same general strategy albeit with some minor differences. The last game found us diverging more than the other games, though we both jumped on witch early in the game as it seems players tend to do. The most exciting board for us both, I believe, was the second game where there were a lot of terminal actions, including goons. The least satisfying game for me was a horse traders / duke / duchy game.

Here are the results of the 5 games we played.

Jorbles 41 / Turkman 31
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/12/game-20120612-173211-ae60f3f6.html

Turkman 107 / Jorbles 76
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/12/game-20120612-174454-f1c91b7c.html

Jorbles 37 / Turkman 33
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/12/game-20120612-175029-8632c457.html

Turkman 69 / Jorbles 32
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/12/game-20120612-180000-610691e5.html

Turkman 42 / Jorbles 30
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/12/game-20120612-181013-0606f90a.html

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 10:08:56 pm »
+1

Robz888 defeats shark_bait 3-1

We had some very, very fun games, although they were decided entirely by my bursts of good luck, which were unfair to my opponent throughout. Interesting games, though! 3/4 Colony, and I normally hate Colony, but these were neat--if not strategically variable.

shark_bait 21 - 29 Robz888 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/12/game-20120612-180759-84189938.html
Some easy Torture chaining with Fishing Villages for both of us. We Swindle some Torturers into Counting Houses, and later they are a welcome presence and the only way to string together $8. My superior luck begins.

shark_bait 28 - 42 Robz888 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/12/game-20120612-181533-42d95eb2.html
We both get to King our Mountebanks, but he does it twice. That's game, right? Well, not when my only Province immediately finds one of my only Tournaments. I use Trusty Steed to flood my deck with Silver. He has no purchasing power, and that's that.

shark_bait 49 - 47 Robz888 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/12/game-20120612-182820-d7586fed.html
With Mountebank again, we both go for Apothecaries. Expand and Trade Route are the real stars, though. It's anyone's game for the last 5 Turns, where hilariously neither of us can buy any points, and I'm stuck trying to whittle down the Trade Route pile to nothing and win off my 1 point lead. But he finally gets a drop of good luck and wins the game. Also he had 2 Spies that were seemingly useful.

Robz888 36 - shark_bait 35 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/12/game-20120612-183530-601ecbad.html
Mostly similar strategies--buy lots of Hoards, get Great Halls and Green--but I think the only mistake was probably made by me when I picked up a useless City. I thought Great Halls would run, but he smartly Greens faster and I am in catchup mode. Too bad he gets a bad hand and I steal the thing.

Thanks to my opponent! He was a great sport about having way worse luck :)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 10:50:36 pm »
+2

Despite having pretty awful luck at times during my series with Robz888, those were some of the most fun games of dominion I have played since the DS Championships! 

In game 1, we proceeded to a typical Torturer chain style but both getting swindler.  I thought I might have a chance with his deck in a worse state, but what can I do when his Counting House, yes that's right, his Counting house nabs him 2 Provinces.  Regardless, the back and forth nature of the swindling and torturing made for an exciting game.

In game 2, I actually felt bad at first.  Yup, I felt bad that my beginning draws were so good!  Mountebank, Cellar and KC or Turn 3, 4 and 5 respectively compared to his Mountebank, Tourny, Mountebank.  At this point, I think it's GG.  I have the FPA and I figure with a Mountebank and a Cellar to boot, his deck will be destroyed in no time.  Well when my KC draws dead the first time, he curses me a bit and basically pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

In game 3, well let's just say this was perhaps the most fun game of dominion I have played.  With an identical 5/2 start, we both start Mountebanking up the curses.  We both pick up a few Apothecaries to grab up copper and some Expands and start pounding the provinces mostly via trashing.  Then we stall.  I am 1 point down with 1 Province left. 

Turn 26, Robz has $7. 
Turn 28, my Expand is one shy of the province. 
Turn 28, Robz expand comes w/o a card > $5. 
Turn 30, I get $7. 
Turn 30, Robz gets $7. 
Turns 30 and 31, Robz brings the Trade Route to 1 remaining, threatening to 3-pile with a 1 point lead. 
Turn 32, Robz draws dead, needing only $3 to end the game. 
Turn 33, I Expand a Duchy into the last province squeaking out the win.

Game 4, close game for sure.  Could have gone either way.

Code: [Select]
— shark_bait's turn 10 —
   shark_bait plays 2 Coppers and 3 Silvers.
   shark_bait buys a Province.
   (shark_bait reshuffles.)
   (shark_bait draws: 2 Hoards, 2 Coppers, and a Trader.)

Basically, both of my Hoards, were in the last 1-4 cards of my deck so that when I reshuffled they missed it.  Consequently the 2 Golds gained also missed that reshuffle.  This was perhaps the most disappointing stroke of luck.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2012, 03:40:53 am »

lespeuture-qmech:

Trader has two extra things going for it beyond the Silver: it's a mild disincentive to opening Swindler, and it leaves open the possibility of an early Cache->Silverx2 which would have been huge (but did not actually come up).  The fact that lespeutere's Trader missed a reshuffle is also suggestive.

Overall I think the rapid Silver gaining was important here, both for its purchasing power and expanding the deck enough that it could absorb a second Smithy.  My favourite turn:
— qmech's turn 7 —
   qmech plays a Trader.
   ... trashing a Silver.
   ... gaining 3 Silvers.
   qmech plays 2 Coppers and a Silver.
   qmech buys a Smithy.
This set me up brilliantly for the rest of the game.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2012, 08:43:54 am »

I guess the thing is, it (the silver gaining) is not very rapid. You trash an estate, it gives you two silvers, which may or may not (probably most often does) put you one silver ahead at that point, if you can get it to line up. Tradering a silver nets you only two. It's a bit slow. I think the bigger point is not so much for this specific game, though I'm not at all sure of it there, but more in general. I'm seeing it get bought at virtually every game it's available in this tournament, and my impression is that it's not THAT good.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2012, 08:48:54 am »

I haven't heard from ddubois yet. I've sent him a PM, but got no response. And I'm kinda running out of times that I'm able to play. :S
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 20 queries.