Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Furious  (Read 44306 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Furious
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2013, 11:22:59 am »

The Finnish national championships this year were played with the rule that both players could choose between a 3/4 and a 4/3 opening split (player 1 choosing first, then player 2). I liked the rule in a tournament setting.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2013, 03:37:20 pm »
+4

Sorry robz, barry is a goko alt of mine.  The "b" is silent, fyi. (as is the "y" on 19 September every year.)

RE: our game... You caught me at a bad time -- I was unfocused on our game because my dog has just been run over.

By my cat, actually -- my cat ran over my dog.  More like jumped, to be completely accurate.  It was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time, and I laughed and laughed.  That's why my play was so slow, because I could hardly breathe and concentrate on the game for long periods of time because I was laughing at how my cat ran over my dog.

Anyways -- my apologies.  Will you forgive me?

:P

Can't tell if serious...
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2013, 03:54:19 pm »
+7

Sorry robz, barry is a goko alt of mine.  The "b" is silent, fyi. (as is the "y" on 19 September every year.)

RE: our game... You caught me at a bad time -- I was unfocused on our game because my dog has just been run over.

By my cat, actually -- my cat ran over my dog.  More like jumped, to be completely accurate.  It was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time, and I laughed and laughed.  That's why my play was so slow, because I could hardly breathe and concentrate on the game for long periods of time because I was laughing at how my cat ran over my dog.

Can't tell if serious...

Same. For the quoted. Not the quoted quote.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2013, 03:59:29 pm »
+9

Can't tell if serious...

Same. For the quoted. Not for the quoted quote nor the quoted quoted quote.
Well you *do* need a signature...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2013, 04:05:20 pm »
+2

"Can't tell if serious"

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2013, 06:03:11 pm »
+3

Can't tell if serious...

*Can tell if serious*
*Isn't telling if serious*

Seriously, you guys don't have a Serious detector?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2013, 06:14:07 pm »
+6

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2013, 06:21:14 pm »
+2

Now when I've got these antlers on, I AM dictating, and when I take them off, I am NOT dictating.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

elahrairah13

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2013, 10:01:20 pm »
+6

My dad was freaking out about why I bought the copper.

I'm going to be so stoked when I'm a father and my kids are capable of playing Dominion with me!  This is many many years ahead for me, but your comment made me think about some of the joys associated with raising a family one of which is seeing them be interested in the things that I'm interested in.  That's so awesome that your dad plays Dominion with you!  :D

I just want to brag a minute - I have played three generation Dominion. My daughter actually started occasionally playing Dominion at age 4 (she's 6 now), although we don't play often. Her favorite game is Forbidden Island. Meanwhile I introduced my dad to Dominion on a trip home for Christmas. We played a bunch of games in a few days (anecdote: he got super cocky after just a few games and decided he had it mastered, so I set up a Watchtower/Goons board that he never saw coming. I'm not a good child).
And once we played three generations worth! (although it wasn't so great - my kid's attention span for board games falters during 3+ players because she has to wait too long for her turn and that adds up over the course the game, plus my dad doesn't have the patience that playing adult board games with little kids requires)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2013, 10:21:04 pm »

I'm going to be so stoked when I'm a father and my kids are capable of playing Dominion with me!  This is many many years ahead for me, but your comment made me think about some of the joys associated with raising a family one of which is seeing them be interested in the things that I'm interested in.  That's so awesome that your dad plays Dominion with you!  :D

I just want to brag a minute - I have played three generation Dominion. My daughter actually started occasionally playing Dominion at age 4 (she's 6 now), although we don't play often. Her favorite game is Forbidden Island. Meanwhile I introduced my dad to Dominion on a trip home for Christmas. We played a bunch of games in a few days (anecdote: he got super cocky after just a few games and decided he had it mastered, so I set up a Watchtower/Goons board that he never saw coming. I'm not a good child).
And once we played three generations worth! (although it wasn't so great - my kid's attention span for board games falters during 3+ players because she has to wait too long for her turn and that adds up over the course the game, plus my dad doesn't have the patience that playing adult board games with little kids requires)

If he was acting cocky, then he had the Goons/Watchtower coming to him :P

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2013, 01:03:56 am »

Not as bad as me setting up KC/Goons/Masquerade after he was gloating in a huge victory.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2013, 01:22:14 am »
+3

Not as bad as me setting up KC/Goons/Masquerade after he was gloating in a huge victory.

Were you teaching him Dominion? Or how to hate Dominion?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2013, 01:50:24 am »
+36

My daughter actually started occasionally playing Dominion at age 4 (she's 6 now), although we don't play often. Her favorite game is Forbidden Island.

elahrairah13's_daughter plays Embargo
…elahrairah13's_daughter gets +$2
…elahrairah13's_daughter trashes the Embargo
…elahrairah13's_daughter puts an Embargo token on Island

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2013, 04:46:35 pm »
+11

My daughter actually started occasionally playing Dominion at age 4 (she's 6 now), although we don't play often. Her favorite game is Forbidden Island.

elahrairah13's_daughter plays Embargo
…elahrairah13's_daughter gets +$2
…elahrairah13's_daughter trashes the Embargo
…elahrairah13's_daughter puts an Embargo token on Island
That's not really forbidden. I think you meant:

elahrairah13 plays Contraband
…elahrairah13's_daughter names Island

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2013, 04:54:57 pm »

Were you teaching him Dominion? Or how to hate Dominion?

He knew how to play, and likes it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2013, 02:23:15 pm »
+2

As far as the skill is concerned (which is, of course, what most of this community is worried about) I will quote donald: "Dominion is high-skill high-luck, like poker."

I never said that!

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2013, 10:44:01 pm »
+6

Next time rick-roll him in the chat bar. Seriously, I have yet to make it to the chorus.
I just tried this while being slow-rolled by tgorm, and can confirm it works! Just as I was reaching the end of the last verse, he began playing a normal speed again.

theParty

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2013, 06:17:20 am »
+1

I just went on here and searched tgorm just to see if anyone else had been slow rolled by him - lo and behold, I wasn't the only one!  Also saw another guy in the chat room complaining about him slow playing after he was obviously beat later on that day.

Nobody needs to hear the specifics (he thought I was getting lucky, he made some bad choices at the beginning which contributed to him being unlucky, he curses, then the slow plays.....).

Anyway, for anyone still looking at this thread - tgorm.  Don't play him.  Honestly, do yourself a favor and don't do it.

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: DividedSpy
  • Respect: +279
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2014, 05:25:48 pm »
+3

I just went on here and searched tgorm just to see if anyone else had been slow rolled by him - lo and behold, I wasn't the only one!  Also saw another guy in the chat room complaining about him slow playing after he was obviously beat later on that day.

Nobody needs to hear the specifics (he thought I was getting lucky, he made some bad choices at the beginning which contributed to him being unlucky, he curses, then the slow plays.....).

Anyway, for anyone still looking at this thread - tgorm.  Don't play him.  Honestly, do yourself a favor and don't do it.

I just played tgorm.  What a nightmare.  He got a 2/5 he didn't like, so he started complaining about it and then started calling me names and to "sit and wait like a bitch".  I never even said anything.  All this because he didn't like his 2/5.  I blacklisted him with the extension, but oh my god what a psycho.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2014, 01:49:11 pm »
+3

Can't tell if serious...

Same. And by that, I mean the quoted quoted quoted quote. I too am sorry for laughing at how my cat ran over my dog. Please accept my apologies.

Signed,
The other other Barry
A man has no signature

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2014, 04:31:02 am »

Can't tell if serious...

Same. And by that, I mean the quoted quoted quoted quote. I too am sorry for laughing at how my cat ran over my dog. Please accept my apologies.

Signed,
The other other Barry

I hate it when the other other alt of my other alt appears.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2014, 04:27:01 pm »
+6

I wasn't sure the best place to post this, so I thought here would be fine.

Just played a game against someone by the username Jorgen: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140304/log.516f307ae4b082c74d7def63.1393966935210.txt

The key cards were King's Court, Mountebank, Band of Misfits, Bishop and Moat. I stacked up on KCs and BoMs. I started my turn 25 with a hand including 2 KCs and a BoM. There was one pile empty, and the BoMs and Curses were down to one each. I had a 6-point lead. So all I had to do was hand out the last Curse and buy the last BoM. So I started KCing BoMs as Moats and ended up drawing my whole deck. It turned out he had a Moat, so I couldn't finish the game that turn, so once I'd drawn my deck I used BoM as Bishop to trash away all my Curses etc, and maximised my lead to ensure he couldn't catch up. Now maybe I should have just played them as Monuments instead, but whatever.

Here is the conversation we had:

Jorgen jesus dude.
Jimmmmm :)
Jorgen You only get one buy, you know? What's the point?
Jimmmmm trash my curses, get points
Jorgen Yeah, but you could accomplish this without this endless chaining.
Jimmmmm ...how?
Jorgen By using your BOM to be bishops instead of endlessly kings courting the moat.
Jimmmmm but that would be bad play
Jorgen Because?
Jimmmmm why would that be better than drawing my deck first?
Jorgen Because it' expends less time.
Jorgen Like, SERIOUSLY??
Jimmmmm yep.
Jorgen **** this, and **** you.
Jimmmmm dude relax
Jimmmmm it's a game
Jorgen YOU ******* INCONSIDERATE POORSPORT
Jorgen GO **** YOURSELF
Jimmmmm uh, no
Jorgen Welcome to the blacklist,
Jimmmmm if you hadn't had a moat the game would be over this turn
Jorgen ******* ***.
Jimmmmm i'm maximising my lead to ensure that you don't catch up next turn
Jimmmmm i'm playing the game
Jimmmmm i'm posting this conversation to the forums btw
Jorgen Here's a ******* newsflash for you ********, THERE ARE NO EXTRA BUYS. Endless chaining is for *********. wait it out, like you made me wait. Oh, and eat a ******* ****.
Jimmmmm wow
Jimmmmm are you making me wait until we time out?
Jimmmmm wow
Jimmmmm thanks for blacklisting me btw, i really appreciate it :)
Jorgen When i say that, I don't mean just me. There's a community here that doesn't want to play people who play like you play. 4500+. Eat a sack of catpiss.
Jimmmmm what?
Jimmmmm they don't want to play against people who play to win?
Jimmmmm you're being ridiculous
Jimmmmm they'd rather play against people who swear at them?
Jorgen Ugh. You arrogant ****. It's math, jackhole. You can't buy anything over 8. You cycling endlessly is just jerking off.
Jimmmmm no it's not
Jorgen Ok.
Jimmmmm i trashed all my bad cards because i did that
Jorgen Then you can just sit there.
Jimmmmm a got a probably unassailable lead
Jimmmmm why are you so ****** off that you're losing?
Jorgen Yup, you're going to win. If you can stand it.
Jorgen I don't mind losing.
Jimmmmm apparently you do
Jorgen It's not going to affect my life.
Jimmmmm you're saying it would have been better to keep all my curses, coppers etc?
Jimmmmm and finish my turn with fewer points?
Jorgen But I do mind playing arrogant ******** like you who waste peoples time.
Jimmmmm this is a game
Jimmmmm no one's making you play it
Jimmmmm but you know the cards in the game, and you know there are some that take longer than others
Jimmmmm you could have quit as soon as you saw that it had king's court and mountebank
Jorgen I no longer care what you say, and I'm not reading another word. Wait it out like you made me wait. *****.,
Jimmmmm i made you wait, what, a couple of minutes while i was PLAYING THE GAME
Jorgen I'm going to sit here until it warns me of a time out, and then play one card, and wait until it warns me again. Just so you can get the full effect of how ******* annoying you are.
Jimmmmm you're making me wait to be a vindictive ******
Jorgen Ciao
Jorgen **** staright.
Jimmmmm it's people like you that make online games unfun
Jimmmmm i'm off to get some breakfast, see you in a bit :)
Jorgen Aw.
Jorgen No worries, enjoy.
Jimmmmm thanks :)
*** Jorgen has left the game.

So, I don't know, I'm less furious than I am bemused. Is there a way to report this sort of behaviour?

Another thing I'm wondering: If I'm about to end the game, I will maximise my points on the current turn. So in this situation that would mean trashing all my Curses and playing a bunch of Monuments. Usually it means buying a few more VP cards than you need. Is this considered to be inconsiderate? If I could have ended the game with my initial hand I would have just done that, but given that I'd drawn my deck anyway, I'm going to trash those Curses and play those Monuments/Bishops. Obviously this game was a bit different in that I couldn't end the game on my turn, and I had no idea what he had in his hand, or how many points he would be able to get on his turn.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2014, 04:31:58 pm »

Another thing I'm wondering: If I'm about to end the game, I will maximise my points on the current turn. So in this situation that would mean trashing all my Curses and playing a bunch of Monuments. Usually it means buying a few more VP cards than you need. Is this considered to be inconsiderate? If I could have ended the game with my initial hand I would have just done that, but given that I'd drawn my deck anyway, I'm going to trash those Curses and play those Monuments/Bishops. Obviously this game was a bit different in that I couldn't end the game on my turn, and I had no idea what he had in his hand, or how many points he would be able to get on his turn.

I think you were fine to do what you did.  You improved your deck and your score through trashing, and I'm assuming you bought the last BOM, intending to gain/buy the final curse next?

It's frustrated to be on the receiving end of a long KC-draw-attack chain, for sure.  But his (over)reaction was ridiculous.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2014, 04:47:29 pm »

I think you were fine to do what you did.  You improved your deck and your score through trashing, and I'm assuming you bought the last BOM, intending to gain/buy the final curse next?

It's frustrated to be on the receiving end of a long KC-draw-attack chain, for sure.  But his (over)reaction was ridiculous.

Thanks. Yep, I definitely would have quickly ended the game on my next turn. His point was that I should have just played Bishop on whatever cards I happened to have in my hand, without drawing my deck first, which is ludicrous.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2014, 04:56:11 pm »
+3

Maximizing your odds of winning when it's likely that you're going to win anyway: not inconsiderate
Maximizing your VP when it's 100% guaranteed that you're going to win anyway: inconsiderate
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 3.316 seconds with 21 queries.