Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: GOKODOM I: Round 5 Results and Discussion  (Read 29245 times)

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
Re: GOKODOM I: Round 5 Results and Discussion
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 06:01:57 pm »

Mic Q wins 4 to 2 against Rabid

Game 2
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130516/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1368738698940.txt
Chapel Witch board, early shuffle luck win.

was that pure base? but where does the Nobles come from?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 06:21:18 pm »
+6

It's the moment you've all been waiting for, the Base set (plus Haven, Hoard, Nobles) match you've been dying to see. We're here to prove that Base (with help) Dominion is a rich game with diverging strategies complex engines. Maybe...

Mic Qsenoch wins 4-2 over Rabid

Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130516/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1368738286584.txt

I open 5/2 on a pretty good board for it and go with Festival/Haven. I want to build an engine. My opponent opts for Smithy BM. He plays a Smithy on every turn from 4-10! So he's collected a good chunk of green. Fortunately Nobles is available so I can build and not fall too far behind on points. His early luck disappears and he hits $7 a few too many times. I come back with a couple of double province turns and win with help from my first player advantage. I'm a little dubious on whether Council Room is right for my deck, it draws a lot but could have shortened the game too much for me to overcome the VP deficit. There is other draw available from Smithy/Nobles/Throne Room so the deck can be built without it (but will it be as consistent?). I think Rabid probably picked up too many Nobles over Gold here, but not sure.

Game 2: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130516/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1368738698940.txt

We both open Chapel/Silver. Rabid and I have a contest to see who draws worse in the first reshuffle. He goes for drawing Chapel with CCCS. I one up him with both Chapel and Silver missing the shuffle. I make the mistake of buying one too many Silver over Villages. He is able to clean up his deck and bury me.

Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130516/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1368739298212.txt

He goes for Workshop/Gardens. I keep losing to bots trying to play Workshop/Gardens on boards where there's something else to do so I try something else. He has bad Workshop collisions, and I am able to build a bit of an engine, which I sort of wreck by taking the last three Gardens. I get a little nervous about the estates running, but I'm able to put together enough Province buys to win.

Game 4: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130516/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1368739855968.txt

I think we both make a mistake completely ignoring Militia here. We play mirrors of Moneylender/Village/Smithy/Hoard/Nobles. He gets out to a nice start and I can't really claw back in. Hoard doesn't really let the decks deteriorate much. Adding Woodcutter for bigger turns seems possible but maybe not faster.

Game 5: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130516/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1368740245104.txt

Here we both play a slog strategy using Bureaucrat/Gardens. I also have a Woodcutter. This more or less comes down to me getting two absurdly lucky 4 silver hands that let me buy the only Provinces this game. This happens a long time after we've been greening. Eventually Gardens/Duchies/Estates run out with me in the lead. I think Smithy BM would run out of steam on this board too soon, which leaves what we played as the only viable option.

Game 6: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130516/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1368740813044.txt

I used the chat after Game 3 to bash Workshop/Gardens a bit, just so I could trick my opponent and play it in the deciding game! Village helps me have some very nice turns picking up several cards, but I'll admit I had lucky draws. His strategy (Cellar/Festival/Library) looks strong, and he could have won with better draws or a few more turns. Although I think the engine player needs to get a Moneylender, and not a Mine. I can three pile after 14 turns which is very fast.

So look at the logs and decide for yourself if Base Dominion is boring junk (it isn't). Just do me a favor and don't point out that Nobles played a big role in half of the games. Thanks for the match Rabid!

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 11:15:36 pm »
+4

michaeljb wins 3-1 over Insomniac

Game 1: http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130516/log.505ca69b0cf21ba04cfa2f17.1368757476652.txt
Baron, Island, JackOfAllTrades, Pirate Ship, Procession, Wandering Minstrel, City, Library, Rebuild, Upgrade
Baron, Island, and Rebuild are the major players here, and various Victory card piles are quick to run out. In retrospect, I wonder if that would have made City strong...I kind of doubt it, because of the opportunity cost to pick it up, plus there's not a ton of exciting terminals to play once you've played your Cities. I think I just drew a bit better, and win by 2 after 15 turns. Insomniac 30-32 michaeljb

Game 2: http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130516/log.505ca69b0cf21ba04cfa2f17.1368757900401.txt
Fool's Gold, Hamlet, Herbalist, Moat, Bishop, Conspirator, Spice Merchant, Throne Room, Apprentice, Laboratory

This is the kind of board that just excites me. I think obvious engine is obvious, and I think Insomniac's fatal flaw was a first turn Bishop. On turn 7 I spend $8 on a Hamlet for +Buy, then build up the Lab/Conspirators/TR until I can double Province, picking up a Bishop once my Spice Merchant is nearly useless. Another 15 turn game, but not so close as the first one. Insomniac 26-52 michaeljb

Game 3: http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130516/log.505ca69b0cf21ba04cfa2f17.1368758132983.txt
Embargo, Pearl Diver, Trade Route, Island, Silk Road, Smithy, Cache, Cartographer, Contraband, Jester

Island+SR looks to be the key, and that also makes Trade Route attractive to me. I probably should have kept buying Coppers with the +Buy, though; I had nothing but green on turns 17 and 18. Insomniac ignores the Trade Route, and gets a Cache with $5 instead of Jester (what I did once). The Cache helps him get 2 Provinces, and my Jester doesn't do much at all. After splitting the Silk Roads and Islands, it's a close one, but Insomniac stays alive. Insomniac 50-45 michaeljb

Game 4: http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130516/log.505ca69b0cf21ba04cfa2f17.1368758593009.txt
Lighthouse, Loan, Scheme, Steward, Wandering Minstrel, Bandit Camp, Bazaar, Contraband, Counting House, Bank
Platinum and Colony in the Supply, Shelters in starting decks

At first I think it's cool that the Prosperity and Dark Ages special cards are in the game, but then the board overall seems less exciting to me. I pretty much did Steward+money, with a Bandit Camp and Scheme thrown in. I had hoped to Scheme the Bandit Camp more often to get more Spoils, but that didn't particularly work out. Insomniac only trashed OE and Hovel, while I aggressively got rid of all but a pair of Copper.  I was also able to get 1 more Platinum than him, and as Donald X said, "You have to get to $11 for Colonies; that doesn't just happen." It happens for me a few more times, giving me the win. michaeljb 74-54 Insomniac
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 11:18:53 pm »

Mic Q wins 4 to 2 against Rabid

Game 2
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130516/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1368738698940.txt
Chapel Witch board, early shuffle luck win.

was that pure base? but where does the Nobles come from?

That promo card thing that's in the Dark Ages and Base Cards boxes gives you a small sampler set consisting of Haven, Nobles, and Hoard. I think it was also supposed to include Haggler and something from Dark Ages (Cultist?) so that each big expansion was sampled but it looks like that never happened.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 10:48:55 am »
+6

Hi Adam,

I'm sitting sick at home, really missing the good old days of dominion online now more then ever.
So I decided to watch your video and comment on it on a turn by turn basis as I went through the video.
Hope you can appreciate it ;) The last game is missing, sorry to read you lost it.

1/2:
nice board analysis, good opening buys

3: Buying silver here is ok-ish, but I think I'd get a Sage.

4: sure

5: yes! ;)

6: sure

7: 2nd potion is ok, but I'd agree with Sage too.

8: good call on playing the Sage. Buying the Silver is horrible. You want to make your deck go round and round at this point. Silver doesn't draw and stops Sages.

9: I totally agree on buying the mint here.

10: agree

11: 100% agree on the festival. You should own this game by now.

11b: unfortunate yes but he just has the lesser deck.

12: agreed on 2nd mint, although waiting a turn with it is also a good option.

13: nice turn again

14: Here I'd pick up ironworks over festival, but apart from that I agree.

chatting: 1st player advantage my a$$. You just played better.
getting alchemists over grand markets is definitely good.

15: double vineyard and GM yes, but why the Nomad Camp? Ironworks is still unbought but gets you a sage on every activation.

16: agree

17: you're ahead, don't worry

----------

1/2: I agree 100% with you opening buys, but your board analysis is somewhat off.
Although I think money into mountebanks is just better, apothecaries into a "real deck" is also an option.
The first on *never* buys a Develop, that's a horrible card in this deck. Counting House is not as bad as you give it credit for.
The second type should open Potion/Develop. It's going to fail here, but what *might* make it work is that you can very often leave a curse op top of your deck to block mountebank.
No matter what you do, you shouldn't mix these up. Silvers are as bad in the Apothecary deck as Develops are in yours.

3: yes! mountebank!

4: Thank god you buy the Silver. Armory???

5: yes

6: nice call.

7: nice again.

8: sure

9: I think I'd add a third terminal to the deck now. (Goons)

10: at this point the game is over, right?

11: sure, silver

12: Grand Market looks better, get a goons on next $6-$8 hand which will be before the reshuffle (unless you hit $9 again)

13: yes

14: agree

15: I'd get a second Goons now.

16: yes

17: hurray!

18: argh. Goons is a great card. Get it!

19: agree on 3rd platinum over province, athough I would consider it for a second.

20: getting a platinum is good, but even just chatting about develop is scary. No way ever develop over silver.

21: Goons. Goons. Gooooooons. Goons over gold now for sure. 3 times in a row if I'd have to.

22: Province looks better (hovel) but platinum is okish too.

23: YESSSS finally. But that scary talk about develop again.

24: getting an extra copper is debateable but I think you're good.

25: Yes! that's exactly what I think about develop. Although it's a tiny little thing, your discards are off here. Because the curses are all gone, necropolis is a better card then curse, so you should shuffle that one back in with your venture.

26: this really feels like a mistake. Province+copper over platinum now, almost 100% sure.

27: ok

28: nope, province

29: yes

30: yes

31: copper for sure. points are good, really. They help you win ;)

32: nice call but you really got yourself into this by greening way too late. You were sooooo ahead.

33: I'd get the province. At this point your lack of goons will actually hurt you if you drag this game for too long. And the counting houses are scary.

34: yes

35: You're ahead by 1 now, and I think I'd get the province. If he plays his contraband you can block provinces, and otherwise he'll have a hard time getting to $8 with an additional buy.

35b: nooo. But even though it was obviously losing, I think you made the right call here.

You lost this one by seriously undervaluating Goons and greening way too late.

-------

1/2: 100% agree. Although Silver-Swindler into a second Swindler is very much ok too. $6 is super important on this board.

3b: bwleugh. He has increadible luck *and* gets to whine about it?

4-6: yes. Silvers. good.

7: good call. nice not to even consider provinces.

8: yes

9: silver, yes

9b: yes! thats a very good reason to get silvers indeed.

10: With so many alt green, and the risk of one getting swindled away, I'd actually get a third hoard.

11: yes

12: agree

13: sure

14: agree

15: harem for sure

16: I'd still get harem over duchy.

sorry, you just lost this one.

------------------

1/2: a coinflip? no way. This is an interesting board where opening buys will be very important.
I think I'd go for Ironmonger-courtyard. His opening is super speculative (bad)

3: no, almost definately wrong. You either go for the lots of $2-$4 cards, or you try to go up for haggler, nobles & KC fast.
You opened with the second plan (which is probably the better) and should definately stick to it. Get a second courtyard now.

4: Gold is a ok here, but I would have taken Nobles. Haggler ok too.

5: agree

6: here I'd get Nobles again, but haggler is ok.

7: I wouldn't have put courtyard back with the ironmonger, but it's ok.
   I would buy Courtyard over second workshop.

8: You're pretty terminal-heavy, so should consider putting silver back over workshop.
   At this point you want to buy only stuff that makes your deck tick. So no gold. Council Room, Iron Monger, Procession all would be ok.

9: agree. You should be losing now

10: buying nothing seems better (nobles)

11: yes

12: agree

13: agree

14: very complicated turn. Somehow you play quite fast when you still have a lot of options, and then slow down when you have one decision left.
Maybe you should try to reverse that. 22:37 - I hear you claim you have 1 nobles, but I can see one in play and one in your graveyard.
From here on I just kept praying you'd at some point realize.
Your chances diminish when you reshuffle and the picture of the nobles on top of your graveyard disappears.
But then you play the final courtyard, hoping to draw two silvers. My only hope for you was you'd draw both nobles, and yes... ;)
congrats.

Join the Dominion League!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 11:10:34 am »
+2

1.) I hope you get well soon.
2.) Game 5:
3.)
really missing the good old days of dominion online now more then ever.
You know you can play on Goko too?
4.)
graveyard
This is Dominion, not M:tG.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 11:15:39 am »

graveyard
This is Dominion, not M:tG.

The next GokoDom will, instead of Dominion, use Dominion: the Gathering: the Masquerade: the Movie: the Game.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:49:48 am by Watno »

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 12:10:43 pm »

Can all the people who have one exactly 3 games so far tie please? And those they played against loose? Thank you.

Its too late for that, some have already won. And also, I think you would get behind people with 5 points that win on this round, but I cannot say I understand the tie-breakers all that well.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 12:14:30 pm »

DG 4 - Watno 2

I seem to be getting very forgetful of the logs nowaday, and eveything else really. We played without a point counter and we both probably regretted it.

#3 : DG 51 - 30 Watno http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130517/log.505c626fa2e6c78ad2ed5aa6.1368803366201.txt
#4 : DG resigned http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130517/log.505c626fa2e6c78ad2ed5aa6.1368803849494.txt
#6 : DG 56 - 29 Watno http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130517/log.505c626fa2e6c78ad2ed5aa6.1368805093040.txt

Game 1 had good drawing with caravan, stables and attacks from urchin, swindler, and mountebank. Watno did the right things and I fell behind badly on deck development after getting an early mercenary, maybe a mistake, but my deck was trimmer and almost recovered.
Game 2 was a messy affair with marauders, militias, goons, highways, tactician, dukes. It doesn't all go together, despite our trying, and I think I won by picking out duchy/duke even with a misplayed ending and probably a misplayed middle too.
Game 3 had a tactician/storeroom combo with interesting support from wandering minstrels, poor houses, goons, and knights. I'm guessing that my flavour of deck was slightly better but it may have been down to the various failures we had in using the storerooms. It just doesn't seem intuitive on Goko. I noticed that Qvist had desperate problems with king's court and storeroom in one of his videos.
Game 4 was university/city and with my turn 3-4 draws I just didn't get into it. Deserved win for Watno.
Game 5 was quite a dull marauder into dukes game. Watno almost won it with a good counterfeit but he perhaps went awry with the province/duke play.
Game 6 was a swindler game and seeing my opponent take double swindler (and pillages) I went into lighthouses and they seemed to do very well for me. With a salvager to trash out some junk I could reach up to gold then provinces. I actually bought an adventurer, rather than just have one swindled into my deck, but I sadly never played him.

Thanks to Watno for some interesting games. I don't think any were decided by first turn advantage or lucky swindles.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:15:35 pm by DG »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 12:54:04 pm »

Can all the people who have one exactly 3 games so far tie please? And those they played against loose? Thank you.

Its too late for that, some have already won. And also, I think you would get behind people with 5 points that win on this round, but I cannot say I understand the tie-breakers all that well.

It's a tough call on the tie-breakers.  No matter what, at least one person with 7 points will be in the playoff rounds.  Right now, we have two players with 10, three with 8, and two more 6 v 6 matches.  Even if neither of those matches tie, that still leaves the highest 7-point player in the playoffs.  Those tie-breakers will come down to the wire depending on when other players' matches are played.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 01:16:36 pm »
+1

Hi Adam,

I'm sitting sick at home, really missing the good old days of dominion online now more then ever.
So I decided to watch your video and comment on it on a turn by turn basis as I went through the video.
Hope you can appreciate it ;) The last game is missing, sorry to read you lost it.

This is the most amazing thing ever. This is probably what I dreamed of when I first started making videos, having high-level opponents tell you what they agree and disagree with -- I realize saying my entire thought process can be time-consuming, but stuff like this makes it all worth it.

[fanboy]
To think that the World Champion Dominion Player would take time to comment on my videos, it's like a dream come true, man. I totally bragged to all my friends when you played like 3 games with me on iso -- I even won one of them before we decided to play the same kingdom again and you slaughtered me! Good times, man. AND your level at the time was 53, which is my favorite number! *SQUEE*
[/fanboy]

Seriously, +1 is not enough. Thank you.

Video 5 took a while to upload, so it's possible that it wasn't ready when you watched. It's available now if you want to watch it, but it was a comparatively uninteresting game that I didn't play very well, looking back.

So all the things you disagree with I can remember in my head, and I'll comment, but I want to watch again and make sure I understand the good decisions I made, too (which should be just as helpful). Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to do that until after the weekend.

Game 1:
3: Buying silver here is ok-ish, but I think I'd get a Sage.

My thinking was that I'd need Silvers in my deck to get Grand Markets eventually. If I had only thought about the fact that I'd be buying Alchemist over GM all game, I would have preferred Sage here.

14: Here I'd pick up ironworks over festival, but apart from that I agree.

[...]

15: double vineyard and GM yes, but why the Nomad Camp? Ironworks is still unbought but gets you a sage on every activation.

I got Ironworks too late here for sure. The reason I preferred those cards at the time was because I was in the mentality that I was drawing my deck and I needed to increase my buying power until I drained the Grand Markets. I wasn't thinking about how to end the game quickly with a lead, because I wasn't in an endgame frame of mind until the GMs were empty.

Game 2:
Somehow I was thinking that I would have to get like 6 Colonies because his deck wouldn't be able to get up to $11. While I still think two of his Colonies were a little lucky, he was going to get there eventually and I should have bought Provinces when you said (especially with the Hovel, which I totally missed). I was feeling like I should have won this game and I lost it due to some crazy luck, but after seeing your comments I realize I made my own shuffle luck here, so thank you for that.

In fact, this suggests a weakness in my game: most Colony games you want to go more engine-y, but obviously sometimes that just not going to work. Buying 6 Platinums just seemed like the right move, but in a Province game I would have never bought that many Golds! I need to get a better sense of when to Province-dance in money-based Colony games.

Game 3:
sorry, you just lost this one.

Does this mean my Duchy/Harem decisions and lack of a third Hoard (which I agree with you on) are what lost me this game, or that it was mostly luck?

Game 4:
1/2: a coinflip? no way. This is an interesting board where opening buys will be very important.
I think I'd go for Ironmonger-courtyard.

When you say that, I can't help but think that the best strategy will have a 70-30 winrate over an incoherent strategy because so much of the game hinges on connecting KC with targets and having megaturns, and there's very little you can do in the way of helping that.

And I realized this once he had 6 Ironmongers -- Ironmonger >> Silver. I totally should have opened Ironmonger/CY.

Somehow you play quite fast when you still have a lot of options

My mindset was just to have the biggest turn I could, while using Procession to pick up Nobles for points -- it seemed pretty clear that I needed to Procession $5-cost cards and draw my deck; I thought the quick decisions were reasonably easy to make in that light -- do you think I could have done better? (Yeah I know that's an impossible question to answer)

From here on I just kept praying you'd at some point realize.
Your chances diminish when you reshuffle and the picture of the nobles on top of your graveyard disappears.
But then you play the final courtyard, hoping to draw two silvers. My only hope for you was you'd draw both nobles, and yes... ;)
congrats.

Counting has never been one of my strong points :P I feel like some of this could have been prevented by the Goko log showing me what cards I draw in my turn, but there's no excuse for my counting.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 01:23:35 pm »

"Points are good, really. They help you win  ;) "

- Stef
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2013, 11:08:00 pm »

The last game is missing, sorry to read you lost it.

I'm not.  ;)

Although, as I was telling Adam after the game, it's so easy to root for the person making the video because it's from his perspective. Rewatching, I still found myself silently rooting for him at certain points (yes, you really do have that extra Nobles!! END THE GAME!! Wait, wait, I want him to lose! Wait, I already know he wins!).

chatting: 1st player advantage my a$$. You just played better.

So, yes. He played better the first game, but mirroring does lose for the second player on this board. Regardless, at this point in the game I was well behind, and this chat helped me begin to clear my mind for the next game while putting the pressure on him to finish this one well or throw away an "inherent" advantage from going first. A bit of metagaming here, on my part, that was really only for my benefit. Not Adam's or yours. This was not meant to be objective Dominion analysis.

Re: Second game. I forgot to mention Goons in my comments on this game. This was a pretty big difference in our games here. Even with 6 platinums in your deck, it's hard to hit $11 with only three cards in hand. And the points mattered at the end.

Re: Game 4.
His opening is super speculative.

You bet it is. I really wanted the chance to pile-drive the Ironmongers, though. If I had to play this again, I would open with the safer Ironmonger - Workshop.

He has the last game up now, by the way.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 11:52:58 pm »

but mirroring does lose for the second player on this board.

Mirroring from 2P, assuming I play absolutely perfectly (which if you've watched enough of my videos is a laughable idea) gives you a disadvantage of maybe 60%-40%, whereas doing some high-risk mediocre reward thing (like your Game 4 opening) can only make the situation worse. Is this really what you're saying?

Metagame is great, and if you want to play it I fully encourage that (play two golds then contraband, hoping I'd forget the coppers you picked up with Apothecary? :P ). It's a high-stakes match and you want to give yourself every edge you can.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2013, 12:47:41 am »

but mirroring does lose for the second player on this board.

Mirroring from 2P, assuming I play absolutely perfectly (which if you've watched enough of my videos is a laughable idea) gives you a disadvantage of maybe 60%-40%, whereas doing some high-risk mediocre reward thing (like your Game 4 opening) can only make the situation worse. Is this really what you're saying?

Ummm. I'm not sure? I think I am trying to say that the nature of this board is such that mirroring puts second player behind more often than not, so it shouldn't be too surprising that the mirroring second player was behind -- and that chat line was not totally out of line, even if it's primary purpose was to make me feel better about myself, and even though I made some sub-optimal plays, and even though later I wasn't really mirroring.

I really don't want to defend everything I said during the heat of battle, though. Or even after. I just found it funny -Stef- called me on it. It seemed like he was bothered more by it than you were. Though I do appreciate his comments.

play two golds then contraband

That was a legitimate case of playing too fast. I wanted to play Contraband first, but clicked play all treasures instead.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2013, 09:20:17 am »
+1

3.)
really missing the good old days of dominion online now more then ever.
You know you can play on Goko too?

Yeah, I know. And when I read about the tournament, I really want to. Maybe I should have joined this one, maybe I will join the next.
Apart from that, no matchmaking translates to 'unplayable'. I like playing against strong opponents, and they just don't care about that.
On iso I usually had to wait around 10 minutes for a match (+/- 10 levels). On Goko, those 10 minutes would be hours and the 'waiting' would be 'clicking from one room to the next'.
Where's the fun in that?

It's the moment you've all been waiting for, the Base set (plus Haven, Hoard, Nobles) match you've been dying to see. We're here to prove that Base (with help) Dominion is a rich game with diverging strategies complex engines. Maybe...
Five very good games from both of you and also a very good analysis. I read through the logs and had some comments but you beat me to almost all of them.
I'm a little dubious on whether Council Room is right for my deck, it draws a lot but could have shortened the game too much for me to overcome the VP deficit
I'll admit it's close but I'd say the Council Room is not a good plan. You really don't want to help him. In fact, I would have sneaked in 1-2 Spies. Maybe around turn 9, Festival/Spy in stead of village/gold.
Game 3: ... so I try something else
this one's my favorite. Very good call on going engine here.
Game 6: Although I think the engine player needs to get a Moneylender, and not a Mine
That's a very... polite way to say things. Engine should easily beat Gardens here, but not like this. Very un-Rabid like, usually he's very good at boards like these.
Join the Dominion League!

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2013, 09:44:04 am »

Game 6: Although I think the engine player needs to get a Moneylender, and not a Mine
That's a very... polite way to say things. Engine should easily beat Gardens here, but not like this. Very un-Rabid like, usually he's very good at boards like these.

Yep I really messed this game up.
I want to blame it on not recognising the picture, because my initial board analysis was that Mine was the only "trashing". (Although without Moneylender I think the board favour gardens rush)
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2013, 03:06:11 pm »

I've been trying to get in touch with SirPeebles for my last match, but he hasn't responded to my PMs :(

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2013, 04:25:03 pm »

I've been trying to get in touch with SirPeebles for my last match, but he hasn't responded to my PMs :(

Gotcha

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2013, 05:57:52 pm »

Geronimoo?  Lespeutere?  Stealth Tomato?  Zauberererererer?  I'd hate for people to get bumped out of the finals for not playing the last match...

Edit:  Though I'm certain there are people with 3-1-1 records who wouldn't mind.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:01:34 pm by Kirian »

zaubererer

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2013, 06:34:06 pm »

hmmmm we tried to arrange a time with geronimo, but he wanted to play at the first days and i prefered saturday sunday, so i told him no. I told him to play at saturday or sunday but i sent the mail at friday, too late it seems and he didnt reply. I think it would be better to give us 1 weak and start quarterfinals in 1 weak, if you and the 6 people who already qualified aggree.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2013, 07:04:13 pm »

I think it would be better to give us 1 weak and start quarterfinals in 1 weak, if you and the 6 people who already qualified aggree.

That's really not particularly fair to the people who scheduled their matches.  No one in the current top 8 has been involved in a default or missed match.

I'll think on it; something will go in the regs next season for final round problems like this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 3.117 seconds with 21 queries.