Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First Posts  (Read 5097 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
First Posts
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:12:01 am »
+4

This should be fun.

If you click on your profile -> Show Posts -> Last Page, you can see your first post.
If you're a post junkie like me it's fun to see some older posts and see how wrong/right you were.

So in this topic you can link to or quote your first post and comment on it.  ;D

My first post: Re: Is Golem worth it?
I would argue that it also helps trigger more reshuffles, which more often than not is a good thing since you're constantly increasing your deck power until the last Province turns.

Hey, and I still think this is true! :D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: First Posts
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:53:43 am »

Haha, I registered after lurking a while when the Hinterlands previews came out.

So, I'm reading this forum since a while now. And as the new cards are spoiled, I registered and like to comment them too.

Border Village:
I like it. Many combos possible. Buy a BV, get a Council Room, Torturer, etc

If there's a Talisman in play: I buy a Border Village, gain a Smithy and gain a second one. Great! Question: 2 Bridges, Play a Talisman, buy a BV, get 2, so I get 4 Smithies, right?

If I have a Watchtower in hand or played a Royal Seal, I get BV and Smithy right on top of the deck.

And: Never swindle a Border Village! He will get an additional card.

Great with Smugglers: Gain a BV and an additional card.

Trader:
I don't like it very much. When do you want so many silvers? Only cases I see is in Gardens strategy and to gain 2 silvers early by trashing your estates. But I rather get $4 from Bishop.

I was still such a noob.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:08:04 am »

I'm so new that this wasn't as interesting as I thought.

I would call it "taking into account your opponent's strategy and adjusting your own strategy accordingly" rather than "copycatting". I do it all the time when I have the feeling that my opponent is more comfortable with the kingdom than I am, as long as I (think I) understand why my opponent is making the choices he makes. Why would I make a suboptimal play when the optimal plays are presented right in front of me? Also, it's worth noting that unless you do something differently from my opponent at some point, the best you can do is a draw so there is no reason to be upset about copying.
Great, apparently I had written the last sentence in first person and then decided to change it to "you" passive, but didn't change all instances of the first person pronoun.  :-[

And it makes me a little sad to be reminded about the fact that I haven't played against people who are better than me for over a month.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 09:09:29 am »

I met rrenaud on TeamLiquid, back when it was a Brood War site rather than a SC2 site.

I have to admit, that's not what I would have expected to hear on this forum. :)  Either of you play SC2?  (I don't have time to practice at SC and so mostly stay away from it except for the campaigns.)

Any other WOW players out there?  I also play Civ, Minecraft, and a couple others.  Oh, board games?  Almost anything except Catan.  Pandemic is a perennial favorite, as is Power Grid.

I was an early adopter, but apparently I didn't come to talk about Dominion.  Though I'd been commenting on blog posts for quite a while at that point.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:18:12 am »

General Discussion, I tried to make a game that only barely caught on:

I thought of this from another thread about Dominion affecting real life, when someone mentioned working at the Duke University Library. Come up with realistic-sounding sentences that use as many Dominion card names as you can.

I drove my Ford Explorer to the Bank to see if I could get a Loan from a Moneylender, but it turned out that my Estate wasn't enough to qualify.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 12:23:37 pm »

General Discussion, I tried to make a game that only barely caught on:

I thought of this from another thread about Dominion affecting real life, when someone mentioned working at the Duke University Library. Come up with realistic-sounding sentences that use as many Dominion card names as you can.

I drove my Ford Explorer to the Bank to see if I could get a Loan from a Moneylender, but it turned out that my Estate wasn't enough to qualify.

But that was an awesome game! I spent hours on my masterpiece.

Island Harvest Hamlet Familiar Explorer Tribute Stash Tunnel Catacombs Inn Abandoned Mine Followers Loan Cartographer Treasure Map Smugglers Develop Bazaar Contraband Trade Route Caravan Hoard Great Hall Rats

I land, harvest ham, let familiar explorer tribute stash, tunnel catacombs in abandoned mine; followers loan cartographer treasure map; smugglers develop bizarre contraband trade route caravan, hoard great haul --  rats!

I return from my sea voyage and harvest my swine herd, and let an explorer I've worked with before pay me from his own pocket for exploratory rights in the caves connected to my abandoned mining operation. Unfortunately, my followers take notes of the catacombs and lend them to an untrustworthy mapmaker! Soon, smugglers establish a route to transfer good illegally underground through my lands, without sharing any of the profits with me. Nuts!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 12:40:37 pm »

9,82(3) posts ago... Ahh, good times:

I do believe that I've gotten down to 10 turns on paper, however I don't feel like retrying a million times to come up with the log, so, I'll post it here, and try to keep it as clear as I can. Please feel MORE than free to point out anything that I've missed:

Turn 1:
     Cards in Deck: 3x Estate, 2x Copper
     Cards in Hand: 5x Copper
     Cards in Discard: -----
     -- Buy Potion

Turn 2:
     Cards in Deck: -----
     Cards in Hand: 3x Estate, 2x Copper
     Cards in Discard: 5x Copper, Potion
     -- Buy Chapel

Turn 3:
     Cards in Deck: 3x Copper, 3x Estate, Chapel
     Cards in Hand: Potion, 4x Copper
     -- Buy University

Turn 4:
     Cards in Deck: 2x Copper
     Cards in Hand: Copper, 3x Estate, Chapel
     Cards in Discard: 4x Copper, Potion, University
     -- Chapel All

Turn 5:
     Cards in Deck: 3x Copper, Chapel,
     Cards in Hand: 3x Copper, Potion, University
     -- Play University, Gain Conspirator, Buy Scrying Pool

Turn 6:
     Cards in Deck: 3x Copper, Potion, University, Conspirator
     Cards in Hand: 3x Copper, Chapel, Scrying Pool
     -- Play Scrying Pool, Drawing University, Conspirator, and Potion. Play University, gaining a Festival, play Conspirator, drawing a Copper. Chapel away 4x Copper, buy a University.

Turn 7:
     Cards in Deck: Chapel, Conspirator, Festival, Potion
     Cards in Hand: 2x Copper, 2x University, Scrying Pool
     -- Play 2x University, gaining 1 Festival, 1 Conspirator. Play Scrying Pool, discarding Potion, and drawing everything (including potion, which was shuffled to the bottom). Play 2x Conspirator, 2x Festival, AND 2x Copper with Potion: Buy Conspirator, Conspirator, University

Turn 8:
     Cards in Deck: Chapel, 4x Conspirator, 2x Festival, University, Potion
     Cards in Hand: 2x Copper, 2x University, Scrying Pool
     -- Play 2x University, gaining 2x Conspirator. Play Scrying Pool, discarding Potion, and drawing everything (including potion, which was shuffled to the bottom). Play 3rd University, gaining a Conspirator, and play 2x Festival, and 7x Conspirator. I Chapel away my Potion, and 2x Copper. I buy 2x Province.

Turn 9:
     Cards in Deck: Chapel, 7x Conspirator, 2x Festival, University
     Cards in Hand: 2x Province, 2x University, Scrying Pool
     -- Play 2x University, gaining 2x Conspirator. Play Scrying pool to draw deck. Play 3rd University, gaining final Conspirator. Play out 2x Festival, and 10x Conspirator. Chapel 2x Province. Purchase 3x Province

Turn 10:
     Cards in Deck: Chapel, 10x Conspirator, 2x Festival 2x University
     Cards in Hand: 3x Province, University, Scrying Pool
     -- Play Scrying Pool, drawing entire deck. Play 2x Festival, and 10x Conspirator. Buy remaining 3 Provinces, and End turn.

Well, I think that does it. The odds of getting your Scrying Pool into every hand, along with the only non-actions in your deck for 5 turns in a row... whew. BUT, if anybody pulls it off, major props.

Cheers,
Galzria

Those were fun. I miss running them.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 12:45:54 pm »

My first post, almost 2 years ago

It's probably better to try to pull off the counting house combo without the chancellor. The combo will fail if the counting house is in your hand (unless all copper are currently in hand/discard) if you draw it with golem. With the addition of the chancellor, the combo will fail if either terminal is in hand with the golem. While you do need to buy an 8th copper at some point, I think reducing the chance of failure is worth it.

While I suppose I stand by what I said, at present I'd probably revise that to say: Don't try this with or without chancellor.

EDIT: though I guess I did roughly say that in my third ever post:

I tried out Geronimoo's very excellent simulator creating a counting house/golem buy order. I tried both silver/silver and potion/silver openings (and counting house/copper on a 5/2). This strategy failed miserably against big money ultimate (anywhere between 15-30% win rate depending on how i tweaked the parameters).

I also tried the simulation with chancellor instead of the first silver and got roughly the same results.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:46:59 pm by jonts26 »

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 01:10:37 pm »

I love playing Duke focused strategies from the beginning, but of course it isn't always plausible. Talisman is great for getting a lot of Silvers. Baron is a good for reaching $5 often, and using them for gaining Estates is also useful; ensuring they'll pair up in your hand more often and driving another empty pile. Dukes are obviously weaker with Colonies available, but I've still pulled off a Duke-driven win with Colonies available. Looking back through my logged games with Duke, it doesn't look like I've had many Duke games against high rated Isotropic players, so I guess it's still possible bad play by my opponents is a major contributing factor, like Blaeu suggested at the end of the post.

I still like Duke! And I think the community's overall perception of Duke has definitely gone up since I wrote this.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 01:16:47 pm »

We still use the randomizers for the black market deck.

Our group finds it amusing that you can tell when someone either has or is about to draw a black market card (we use the randomizers).

I could imagine using the regular backed ones, but I have 2 problems:
1) My cards are in a binder, including the black market randomizers (spread over ~10 slots). I don't want to have the take out the 'black market deck' every time when I'm not playing with black market. If not, how do i get the 10th card? Ideas?

2) I just know at some point I'll forget to pull one card from each pile when the game is over and replace them in the black market deck. Do it once, and mayhem ensues.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 01:16:59 pm »

Hi all...
Just wanted to announce my existence by saying that I just beat tat!  ;D
We played very similar games, utilising Shanty Town, and not too many other action cards, and I managed to come out on top 29 to 28 after 15 turns each.

I am a lowly level 13 (although I imagine that has now been boosted somewhat) having played about 145 games on Isotropic and won roughly half.

Just to point out, he didn't use automatch, he proposed a game with me, prohibited Alchemist, Possession and Treasure Map, and gave us identical starting hands.

Anyway, I'm sorry if this comes across as if I'm talking myself up, I realise I'm not even close to being in the same league as a level 30+, I was just reading this thread the other day and thought I could contribute having played him.

Hey I beat the guy on the top of the leaderboard!

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 01:25:21 pm »

This was already touched on with the comment about Shanty Towns being like labs and the comment about using them in a non-terminal engine, but Shanty Town seems to me like you could build your deck around it and only it and draw a whole bunch of cards. Maybe. If you're lucky. And then, it would benefit, logistics of getting it aside, from Diadem. Unless you  have some sort of terminal in your deck. I think you'd want it to be non-drawing. Hey, maybe Mandarin could go here! But really, I haven't tried this at all.

Regarding Develop, it really just needs the board. My brother won a game (IRL) by using develop to increase his deck size and win with Gardens since it was the only card in the game increasing your number of cards. (No plus buys, no gain cards, a whole whack of trashers). In the same game, we noticed an interesting combo with Develop and Expand: Develop a Gold into a Duchy and an Expand, both of which are on top of your deck. Next turn, Expand the Duchy into a Province. (In this game, some of the golds were supplied by Upgrading, Remaking or Developing Upgrades. I told you there were a lot of trashers.) That being said, I don't think develop works much of the time.

Wow. I was trying to base decks around Shanty town?!?!?!?!? Although, that crazy TfB board was really cool.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 01:36:53 pm »

I don't really like the new ranking system either.  The most glaring flaw to me is how a player of any rank would be reduced to level 0 after 30 days of inactivity.  This is definitely not a representative level of their skill.

I didn't really notice the issue with the old system.  It was more stable, was easier to understand (no jumping levels +/-10 overnight which has happened to me already both ways), and I noticed that the skill level would increase after a string of wins and decrease after a string of losses less drastically than it does now.

As noted previously in this thread, I would also like to see "constraint free" games be the only ones counted for the leaderboard.  That way, no one can specialize in a specific set of cards and artificially inflate their rank (i.e. no more KC/Masquerade/Goons shenanigans)

Apparently I came to the forums to voice my opinion about a change in the Isotropic leaderboard that had occurred at the time.  Although I stand by this comment, even that would be preferable to the rating system (or lack thereof) that we have now.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 01:57:31 pm »
+1

my first post was a defense of shanty town. odds are very good i was goaded into it by jonts26.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 02:10:16 pm »

Today, one of the questions at the Sci-Fi society Quiz was to get as many VPs as possible in 4 turns, assuming perfect shuffle luck. (edit: In a solitaire game). Naturally only having one or two minutes to do so, it's unlikely anybody got the optimal strategy.

My team's was to go Coppersmith/Silver, turn 3 Coppersmith a Province, turn 4, 3 Coppers + Silver for a Duchy, gaining 9 VPs. This beat out the second best teams cute answer of going Duchy/Estate/Duchy/Estate. But I think you can do better.

So the open challenge is, getting as many VPs by any means, in 4 turns.

Sound familiar to anyone? As a fun facts: It wasn't CelestialChameleon that set this question (although he set an identical one the following year). This was in the days when emptying the supply wasn't considered par for turn 4, though.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 02:17:17 pm »

I broke lurker cover on mathematical puzzles:

But the clever proof he's remembering shows that you can't actually take advantage of this extra information to win more than 50% of the time, and the reasoning is, because you need the bottom card to be a particular color to win.

The extra small observation you need is that while in the original game you were betting on the the next card being black, it's entirely equivalent to be betting on the bottom card being black, as it's just one of the remaining cards chosen uniformly at random.  Formally it's a simple coupling argument.

It's slightly embarrassing that this is the topic that gets me to register for such excellent forums.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 02:34:43 pm »

We still use the randomizers for the black market deck.

Our group finds it amusing that you can tell when someone either has or is about to draw a black market card (we use the randomizers).

I could imagine using the regular backed ones, but I have 2 problems:
1) My cards are in a binder, including the black market randomizers (spread over ~10 slots). I don't want to have the take out the 'black market deck' every time when I'm not playing with black market. If not, how do i get the 10th card? Ideas?

2) I just know at some point I'll forget to pull one card from each pile when the game is over and replace them in the black market deck. Do it once, and mayhem ensues.

I don't have black market yet, what I think I'll do is use the randomizers for the deck and when somebody buys something take one of the actual card and use that (and take the randomizer out of the deck).
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 02:41:37 pm »

I love playing Duke focused strategies from the beginning, but of course it isn't always plausible. Talisman is great for getting a lot of Silvers. Baron is a good for reaching $5 often, and using them for gaining Estates is also useful; ensuring they'll pair up in your hand more often and driving another empty pile. Dukes are obviously weaker with Colonies available, but I've still pulled off a Duke-driven win with Colonies available. Looking back through my logged games with Duke, it doesn't look like I've had many Duke games against high rated Isotropic players, so I guess it's still possible bad play by my opponents is a major contributing factor, like Blaeu suggested at the end of the post.

I still like Duke! And I think the community's overall perception of Duke has definitely gone up since I wrote this.

Huh. My first post was just two posts after your first post. Same day and everything. I never knew!

In a game with 3 players where you're the only one going for Duchy/Duke, it's a little different. On the one hand, you have to move faster because each of your opponents only has to buy 6 Provinces, rather than 8. On the other hand, they have to work together if they want to deny you Duchies, since there are 12 of them.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 04:28:11 pm »

My first post was also in the Golem topic.

Depends on the board set-up. So far I've found it tends to shine when there are strong attacks.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110606-183830-e26bd92e.html

The above isn't a particularly interesting or good game, but it does show dedicated golem out well.

I think what made Golem work there was the lack of +Actions, not the strong attacks themselves. That game is also by far the meanest I have ever played. Getting Ghost Shipped, then Tortured almost every turn? Pretty bad.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 04:59:52 pm »
+2

Signing up for the 2011 championships.

Axxle

PST
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.586 seconds with 21 queries.