Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Room 25 signups - It's like Mafia.....in SPACE (not really)  (Read 2438 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Room 25 signups - It's like Mafia.....in SPACE (not really)
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:10:50 am »

I've been reading about Room 25. It sounds pretty fun. It's not a deep game, but it has a Mafia-like feel to it.

I want to learn more about it before I buy it. One way to do this is to play it, but I don’t know if anyone here is willing to run it.

So the next best way to learn it would be to mod a game. I'm wondering if I have enough information to run the game. I'll have to read the rules and look up tile distribution.

From what I've read, the traitors have an edge, though I suspect that will be mitigated by a PBF format.

First, I should see if anyone has a copy of Room 25. If so, and said owner does not want to mod a game, I'd like to talk with the person about modding my own game. I bet it'd be just as much fun to mod/watch.

Edit: Okay, I'll mod the game. I just need to create it. Players so far are:

1. Qvist
2. Tables
3. mail-mi
4. liopoil
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:53:52 pm by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
Re: Room 25
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 12:18:28 pm »

I just looked into that. Cool. Cube: The Board Game.
This also reminds me of Panic Station which I already proposed to play via PBF.

I'm definitely /in.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 11:34:19 pm »

Can you post a link to some kind of rules?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 08:49:11 am »

Can you post a link to some kind of rules?

When I find the time to hunt the rules down and read them, I'll also share them here.

From what I read on BGG, the rules are simple. You "program" your turn by choosing two actions that cannot repeat themselves. As I recall, the actions you can choose are:

• Look into a room (secretly look at the tile and put it back)
  • Enter a room (and suffer the consequences, whether you know what's coming or not)
  • Shove someone into a room (handy for economizing time or dispatching of a suspicious person)
  • Slide a row or column of rooms (yep, sounds just like Cube).

There is a timer. The goal is to get prisoners out of the prison. I think I read that you can afford to lose at most one prisoner. If two die, then the guards win.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 02:07:43 am »

I found rules at:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82863/rules-english-matagot

Looking over them now. Still not sure of the tile composition yet.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 10:52:03 am »

I found rules at:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82863/rules-english-matagot

Looking over them now. Still not sure of the tile composition yet.

They're listed on page 8.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:54:12 am »

Also, I'll join. Looks funny.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 10:55:34 am »

I see that. Awesome. I think the rulebook has everything I need (though I'm not wholly sure if the effects of the moving chamber and the illusion chamber continue after they've been revealed; time to look for a FAQ, methinks).

However, it looks like I have enough to mod a game. I need to do further research and then design the game board. If I can get at least 4 players, then we can play with the possibility of a traitor.

I'll modify the first post to include the player list. I know Qvist and Tables are /in.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Re: Room 25 - Looking for players
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 10:57:19 am »

Also adding mail-mi as a tentative since he did ask about it, and it wouldn't be fair to shut him out if the game fills up before he has a chance to respond.
A man has no signature

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 11:00:35 am »

hmmm, looks interesting, can I reserve a spot too? :D

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 11:04:09 am »

I found a FAQ on the company's site, but it's in French. Chrome does offer me a translation, but I'd rather have a human translation. Anyone want to take a stab at presenting the FAQ in a human-friendly format? Looks like one of the questions is about solo play, which won't be necessary to post.
A man has no signature

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 11:42:10 am »

okay, read rules, /in for sure. we're playing suspicion mode? I hope so :D

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 01:17:07 pm »

Yeah, full cooperation looks like it'd be too easy. If it was an ordinary batch of new players, I'd suggest it, but I know this group can take it.

I will, however, choose one of the configurations. No sense making it too difficult by accident.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 09:56:26 am »

I've been working on presenting the information. It doesn't look like I can set stuff to be hidden from all others but me.

But I am able to publish the final map, which is viewable here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AkoHhfle2FRXdDlPUTdFS1hDQUNmNkhrSHJYVkszcFE&single=true&gid=0&output=html

This may be what I'll end up doing. I couldn't automate the process as much as I would have liked, but it'll be a little bit easier. 

See what you think. I'll have to pretty things up a bit, but I wanted to see how things will look for the players. I may consider a log sheet of some sort, but the forum might be good enough for that.
A man has no signature

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 09:16:00 pm »

Confirming /inness
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 09:58:00 pm »

I've been working on presenting the information. It doesn't look like I can set stuff to be hidden from all others but me.

But I am able to publish the final map, which is viewable here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AkoHhfle2FRXdDlPUTdFS1hDQUNmNkhrSHJYVkszcFE&single=true&gid=0&output=html

This may be what I'll end up doing. I couldn't automate the process as much as I would have liked, but it'll be a little bit easier. 

See what you think. I'll have to pretty things up a bit, but I wanted to see how things will look for the players. I may consider a log sheet of some sort, but the forum might be good enough for that.

Wait, we're not supposed to see the whole board, right? All but hte control room are supposed to be hidden, right?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 09:59:06 pm »

there's a lot of dark cold and acid, so I don't think that's the actual map.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Re: Room 25 signups - It's like Mafia.....in SPACE (not really)
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 11:54:59 pm »

Yeah, the actual content isn't in place yet. I'm just gauging how the map would look.

Though I do realize that I've focused on how to make it look and haven't quite worked in the hidden tiles yet. I'll hash that out.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 03:59:12 am »

That looks fine.

Since you really do need the map generated (and things can happen like peeking) you might consider using the importrange function and having two sheets (like I've been doing with e.g. TtA and theory did for Hanabi). Then you can have two maps: A master map only you have, and a public map, showing the explored range. Then make a new sheet and importrange the explored area.

Actually, I think there might be clever things you can do so you don't even need the second sheet... not sure though.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 11:40:03 am »

(and things can happen like peeking)

Wait, can you see the info behind the scenes? I was hoping that publishing the page means that I can display only the page I want you to see while keeping the hidden info…hidden.

I made a few other changes. It's not very elegant; but it'll do. And I have a master switch that hides all 25 tiles, so I don't inadvertently reveal a hidden room when a row or column is shifted.

I thought about using a grid system where the center is (0, 0), but it's not too difficult for someone to confuse 1 and -1. So, it'll be a grid system from (1, 1) to (5, 5). Actually, while it's unlikely that people won't get row and column confused, I'll implement a label system of R and C. So, everyone starts in R3C3.

I'll have to write up the rules for the first post. I also need to transcribe the different rooms and their effects. I'll run this using QuickTopics, as it'll help me keep things straight among the players. And finally, I need to verify that players cannot see the behind-the-scenes info. Otherwise, I'll have to research importrange to see what else I can do with this.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 06:30:30 pm »

I was referring to looking into adjacent rooms actually. I can't see the original.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 08:06:29 am »

I was referring to looking into adjacent rooms actually. I can't see the original.

Oh, understood.

Yeah, the map will be generated at the beginning. My solution is not very elegant in that I'm maintaining three layers (which room is it, which players are in it, and is it hidden), but that just means I need to be diligent when rooms get shifted. I put up little reminders to go 1-2-3 when updating.

I planned to transcribe the room effects last night, but we had a little cooking accident that resulted in an ER visit and some stitches. I hope to do that later this week. I'm eager to see how this game plays out.

And there's still room for one or two more people, though we have enough for suspicion mode right now.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 09:13:55 am »

Oh my, well I hope you're all alright (it doesn't sound like anything too serious at least...)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 09:24:51 am »

No, more of embarrassment, as my wife is way better at preparing food than I am. This superiority may have made her complacent, as she sliced her finger open on a mandolin. I'm just incompetent enough in food preparation that I treat that thing with trepidation and fear. And with good reason too!
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 10:51:11 pm »

Okay, I still need to reread the rules to make sure I understand everything and will write up some ground rules. I'll create a QT for each of you. I should get it started fairly soon.

Take a look at the published page. See if the room descriptions are useful and accurate. At the bottom will be the timeline.

I'll leave the signup open a bit longer while I get my ducks in a row.
A man has no signature
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.