Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: I Lost 30 Points for Tying My Opponent  (Read 7303 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: I Lost 30 Points for Tying My Opponent
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 02:18:05 pm »

Imagine it happening on isotropic, where I gain 0.05 in skill and 0.1 in uncertainty. Meanwhile you lose 0.02 in skill and gain 0.1 in uncertainity. Net result, I go up 0.15 levels and you go up 0.08 levels.

Same kinda deal on goko, except uncertainty isn't displayed in the rating. It still exists though.

Ah cool. Makes sense.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 02:24:10 pm »

Two weeks ago or so I beat Ixius who was #16 while I was ~#32, and I gained exactly zero points. No quit or even resign was involved...

Just to make sure, you don't lose more points from resigning than from losing normally, right?

No, not that I'm aware of. I used confusing phrasing.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 02:29:27 pm »

you can definitely lose point by winnig. I have seen this happening only in the adventures though, and it was never more than -8 points.

And there was the infamous serf pot pitfall, where you would always lose points if playing against him (it?). i think they fixed this issue by now, but i avoid playing serf bot like the plaque.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 04:27:31 pm »

This isn't Iso, where 30 points is a big deal. On Iso, if you tied an opponent worse than you, your rating would decrease. 30 points is a pretty small shift (like, 0.3 levels on Iso, give or take?), so this sounds reasonable to me.

So you think that your level should drop 1 level for every 3.1 ties with lower level players?  Like, if Robz is lvl 35 and I'm lvl 25, and I tie Robz 30 games straight, he should now be lvl 26?

If the difference in level is high enough, the first statement seems completely fair. The second though, no - as level will become closer as you tie lots of games, so the reward/penalty should be smaller.

In general: If you win, your rating should go up, no matter what - although if you play someone much weaker, it may be a miniscule change (<1 point).
If you win, your rating should go down, no matter what - although if you play someone much stronger, it may be a miniscule change (<1 point).
If you draw, the higher rated player's rating should decrease and the lower rated player's increase. The closer the two players are, the smaller the change.

Note: I'm talking about raw average, not the displayed (average - 2*uncertainty). Because of uncertainty decreasing, it might be possible to increase your level by drawing a lower rated opponent, and the like.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 06:12:28 pm »

Algorithm to inflate ratings: Keep two accounts, both should be around the same level if you play with both with same frequency and against similar players. Once in a while, make them play an obscene amount of games against each other, reducing the uncertainty to virtually 0 and thus increasing displayed rating (actual skill average will probably stand still).
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.513 seconds with 21 queries.