Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages on Isotropic?  (Read 34950 times)

DaiVrath

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages on Isotropic?
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 11:48:29 am »

*sigh* I came in just before the server was reset, so I got nothing :-(

I actually tried Goko for a little while, but I'm not going to pay them to play Dominion when there's an amazing site like Isotropic where I can play easily and quickly.  I play for the game itself, not graphics, goko needs to realize that.  I'd actually be willing to play on their site if it didn't crash and freeze on me, and if it was free.  I'd even be willing to watch an ad between games if that's what it takes to make it free.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 12:10:15 pm »
+1

I actually tried Goko for a little while, but I'm not going to pay them to play Dominion when there's an amazing site like Isotropic where I can play easily and quickly.

Isotropic will be disappearing reasonably soon.  Well, Dominion will; Innovation will still be there.

I'd actually be willing to play on their site if it didn't crash and freeze on me, and if it was free.

/sigh
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 12:11:38 pm »

Yeah, I think for a lot of people the end of Iso will be the end of Dominion for them. The physical game is too cumbersome for my tastes, and Goko has a way too Zynga vibe and I wouldn't be able to play it at work anyway.

Yep.

Donald has certainly commented before that people are complaining because they were given something free and then it was taken away from them. That's certainly true, but that leaves out a pretty big aspect of the issue: Donald gets something out of it too. The only reason I know of Dominion and have spent any money on it at all is because of isotropic.

Seen as a purely strategic issue, it's really not clear to me what the best course of action is. Dark Ages exclusivity certainly seems to have drawn some people to Goko; on the other hand, I suspect there are a fair number of people like me who have a sour view of the whole thing that turns them off. Eons ago rspeer made the analogy to Scrabble and Hasbro, which seemed pretty apt, then and now. I guess since so many of the best board and card games are "public domain" (chess, go, backgammon, poker, etc.) that I'm really unused to thinking about board games from an intellectual property perspective and (without any commentary on the correctness of this attitude) it's a pretty big buzzkill when somebody insists on framing it that way.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 12:23:45 pm »
+13

Well, it was fun whilst it lasted.

I'd pay for that.  I wouldn't play Goko for free.

Jestai

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 12:27:58 pm »
+1

This probably has been asked somewhere else, but why dougz hasn't bought the rights himself, with the help of the community if needed?
I mean, isotropic being free and all is obviously very nice, but I'd be totally willing to pay $50 if it's what it takes to keep this boat afloat and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

Anyway, looks like it's too late now. Thanks a lot for the ride!

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 12:31:39 pm »

Well, it was fun whilst it lasted.

I'd pay for that.  I wouldn't play Goko for free.

Yeah this is what has been stated by a lot of people a lot of times, and it's no different now than it was this time last year or in August when it launched, etc.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 12:35:08 pm »
+5

"Millions for Dark Ages on Isotropic, but not one cent for Goko!" - Robert Goodloe Harper, 1798
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 12:38:39 pm »

This probably has been asked somewhere else, but why dougz hasn't bought the rights himself, with the help of the community if needed?

Yes, it has been. dougz is not interested in running a Dominion business, and I believe it was also viewed as important to have the official version look nicer.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 12:43:57 pm »

I mean, isotropic being free and all is obviously very nice, but I'd be totally willing to pay $50 if it's what it takes to keep this boat afloat and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

Anyway, looks like it's too late now. Thanks a lot for the ride!

DougZ was offered the job of making the official version and turne it down, IIRC.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2013, 12:45:43 pm »
+2

Dougz, if you work your black magic to become an official Dominion digital retailer, I will come to your house and Make it Rain(tm) across your body with american paper currency.

sparky5856

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2013, 12:55:13 pm »

What I learned from this incident: Procession is a REALLY fun card.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2013, 01:20:14 pm »
+1

What I learned is that the Dark Ages implementation on Iso is actually pretty darn smooth - considering all the weird new cards - and I'm sad that it's never going to see the light of day (again).

Like I mentioned the Knights pile switches over to $4 once Sir Martin is on top (whether that's good or not I don't care, it's great that it was thought about) and it even says plainly "Knights" once the pile is empty. Hermit and Squire and every other weird interaction I came across worked great and very intuitively.

I didn't know the cards very well, but I could play with them pretty smoothly through the intuitive UI.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2013, 01:21:10 pm »
+1

Procession + Feast = Good Times
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2013, 01:21:32 pm »
+1

Darn. So sad I missed likely the only chance ever to play Dark Ages on Iso.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2013, 01:35:37 pm »
+6

So, did anyone manage to empty the supply on turn 4?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2013, 01:58:26 pm »

Would be fun if it was just temporary and that when the americans wake up, they are gone.
I woke up :(
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2013, 02:02:26 pm »
+7

Now dougz has killed the dream... I dreamed...
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2013, 02:18:44 pm »
+4

i saw this thread and was just so happy... and too late. dang.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2013, 02:20:22 pm »
+1

What I learned is that the Dark Ages implementation on Iso is actually pretty darn smooth - considering all the weird new cards - and I'm sad that it's never going to see the light of day (again).

i find this very impressive and a testament to doug's coding abilities, especially when contrasted with goko. based off of comments made regarding hinterlands (specifically tunnel) doug did not have working knowledge of all of the eventual dominion cards when he created his implementation of dominion. his code was flexible enough to adapt on the fly. it is quite disappointing to me that goko was not able to fully take advantage of having a working knowledge of all cards (at the very least through dark ages it seems) to create a smoother version of the game. as onigame put it, "the original code made assumptions that caused problems later, and at this point it is generally easier to write things that use the existing design rather than redo everything from scratch."
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2013, 02:47:58 pm »

i find this very impressive and a testament to doug's coding abilities, especially when contrasted with goko. based off of comments made regarding hinterlands (specifically tunnel) doug did not have working knowledge of all of the eventual dominion cards when he created his implementation of dominion. his code was flexible enough to adapt on the fly. it is quite disappointing to me that goko was not able to fully take advantage of having a working knowledge of all cards (at the very least through dark ages it seems) to create a smoother version of the game. as onigame put it, "the original code made assumptions that caused problems later, and at this point it is generally easier to write things that use the existing design rather than redo everything from scratch."
Read a little further on, he basically had shelved changes that he accidentally checked in.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2013, 03:09:41 pm »
+4

Would be fun if it was just temporary and that when the americans wake up, they are gone.
I woke up :(

I've never been so sad to be an American.   :'(
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2013, 03:10:31 pm »

Read a little further on, he basically had shelved changes that he accidentally checked in.

i'm not sure what you mean. are you referring to doug or onigame? onigame's comment that i cited was in reference to the goko coders, who apparently made some design errors which came back to bite them. whatever you meant, my comment was just general praise to doug for creating a great working version of the game with less knowledge to work with up front.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2013, 03:12:14 pm »
+1

i'm not sure what you mean. are you referring to doug or onigame? onigame's comment that i cited was in reference to the goko coders, who apparently made some design errors which came back to bite them. whatever you meant, my comment was just general praise to doug for creating a great working version of the game with less knowledge to work with up front.
Yeah, I mixed up posts in my head.  Dougz did an excellent job!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2013, 05:07:22 pm »
+3

Did anyone screencap any of the iso icons for Dark Ages cards?  I'd be interested to see.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2013, 05:22:08 pm »
+1

The best is Madman. It's the Scream from Edward Munch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 2.358 seconds with 20 queries.