Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card idea: Silversmith  (Read 5940 times)

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
Card idea: Silversmith
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:10:54 am »

Silversmith  - cost 4$

+2 cards
+(1)

discard one card from your Hand. If its an
- action : +1Action
- treassure : +(1)
- victory : +1Buy

i like that you cant draw 2 dead actions if you discard one of them.
First it was +1 Card for discarding a victoy card but that was to strong because discarding a victory card doesnt hurt as much.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:14:34 am by RTT »

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: Card idea: Silversmith
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:12:32 am »

Silversmith  - cost 4$

+2 cards
+(1)

- treassure : +(1)
- victory : +1Buy
I think this has been done before.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:19:22 am »

That is possible i havent looked at all Card ideas in the board
i bet its not exactly the same though  ;)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:36:46 am »

That is possible i havent looked at all Card ideas in the board
i bet its not exactly the same though  ;)
You're probably right. I'm sure someone will dig it up...I'm to lazy  :P
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:48:25 am »
+1

I like the card in general. Some comments:

This card seems too strong for $4. +2 Cards / +1$ is already a card at around $4, even without the bonus.
Let's then look at the options.

1.) Discarding an Action card for +1 Action is interesting. Then you basically have a better version of +1 Action +1 Card +1$ which itself costs around $4.

2.) What's the point in getting $1 for discarding a Treasure card? I can't see many ocassions where I want to do that. Discarding the only Copper when you want to buy a Grand Market and discarding a Potion or Horn of Plenty comes into my mind.

3.) Discarding a Victory Card for +1 Buy can be crucial and is similar to Hamlet. It's weak, but fine as it may be crucial.

I would instead change the bonus. Give Treasure Card +1 Card or +1 Buy and the Victory Card +1 Coin or +1 Buy (depending how strong you want to make the card) and then you can make it cost $5.

And btw I don't l like the name because it suggests some interactions with Silver which it don't have, but it's just a personal opinion.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:05:32 am »

2.) What's the point in getting $1 for discarding a Treasure card? I can't see many ocassions where I want to do that. Discarding the only Copper when you want to buy a Grand Market and discarding a Potion or Horn of Plenty comes into my mind.

Tactician and draw-up-to X like dissappearing money. This is as disappearing as you can get.

I agree that is too strong at $4. At $5 seems like it could be reasonable. With multi-types it becomes a power-house, because you get to choose out of 6 cards. If you discard Great Hall, Nobles or Island, this is a Grand-Market. I foresee buying many of these and many Action+Victory cards could be a clear path to victory, maybe even too dominant (buy Vault+BM is also dominant many times, and it is even simpler and it only uses 1 card, so...).

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:13:27 am »

Silversmith  - cost 5$

+2 cards

- action : +1Action +(1)
- treassure : look at the top 4 card of your deck, take up to 2 silvers into your hand, discard the rest
- victory : +1 Card +1Buy

I made it a bit stronger for 5, the treassure part is a risk put it can pay of. if you find more then one silver and discarded a copper it nets you 3$ so it would be +2Cards +3$ but it can also be +2 Cards -1$

Discarding a victory card just makes it a worse Markgrave (but reasonable with the silver on gain)
and discarding the action is nice if you draw 1 or 2 strong actions. then its like +1 Card + 1 Action +(1)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:32:01 am »

Silversmith  - cost 5$

+2 cards

- treassure : look at the top 4 card of your deck, take up to 2 silvers into your hand, discard the rest

I made it a bit stronger for 5, the treassure part is a risk put it can pay of. if you find more then one silver and discarded a copper it nets you 3$ so it would be +2Cards +3$ but it can also be +2 Cards -1$

Discarding a victory card just makes it a worse Markgrave (but reasonable with the silver on gain)
and discarding the action is nice if you draw 1 or 2 strong actions. then its like +1 Card + 1 Action +(1)
I think this would be mostly used for the treasure option, it's just so much stronger than the other options.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:39:42 am »

Silversmith  - cost 5$

+2 cards

I think this would be mostly used for the treasure option, it's just so much stronger than the other options.

yes it can be the strongest option and you will most often use this (like +2Cards +1Action in Spice merchant) but its nice to have the other options avaiable if you
 (either have already 8(11) and dont want to risk loosing it ;
 want an extra buy;
 draw 2 Action cards wich would be dead otherwise,
you are in the early game and have your only silver in hand)

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:56:27 am »

The taking silver options is nice with any kind of Silver flooder, mostly like Vault is with Gold. But Vault helps you get the gold and this card does not help you get the ton of Silver you need. However, your card does not have penalty and have uses in an engine too as a flexible Peddler that can also provide +Buy if needed.

It seems to me that is too strong, but you can probably play test it as it and check.

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 09:15:07 am »

The taking silver options is nice with any kind of Silver flooder, mostly like Vault is with Gold. But Vault helps you get the gold and this card does not help you get the ton of Silver you need.
It can give you +Buy so if you have the money you can buy 2 silvers, in addition to that you gain 1 Silver on buy . i think more support for that would be overpowered.

i only see a problem with multiple type cards but then again tribute is very strong with them too. and you loose the power of them if you discard Great Hall(-1card), Harem(-2$), Nobles(what ever you choose) ...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 01:08:05 pm »

The name is odd, because you would expect Silversmith to be like Coppersmith, but for Silvers.  That card would be too powerful.

On this one though:

+2 cards, +$1 is a decently powerful effect, though the mix can be hard to judge.

+$1 for discarding Treasure is actually useless most of the time.  There are some edge cases -- Potion, Horn of Plenty, even Bank, not to mention draw-to-X cards, but in general it is a "nothing" choice which you would pick if you don't have something better to discard.  (Oh, Qvist's Grand Market edge case is a good one as well, as is soulnet's Tactician.)

Discarding a Victory card can be great for engines.

The possibility of making it non-terminal is very powerful too.  I like Qvist's suggestions for making it a $5.

Your new version seems too powerful.  The Treasure option is especially powerful as it is not difficult to flood your deck with silver, nor does it hurt you to do it.

I think it might be OK if you drop the on-gain.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 01:16:20 pm »

I think the new version is fine, power-wise. It might even be too weak. It definitely merits testing.

My issue with the card is that it seems overly complex and disjointed. The options aren't intuitive to me. It doesn't seem like the card has a clear vision. I couldn't sum up the essence of it in a sentence.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 01:29:05 pm »

Can the name be changed? Several fan cards are called Silversmith and most do a comparable thing to Coppersmith, but interacting with Silver. Metalworker?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 01:44:03 pm »

How about Ironsmith? (It's a Ironworks / Ironmonger variant)

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 01:46:07 pm »

How about Ironsmith? (It's a Ironworks / Ironmonger variant)

You are a ninja edittor, I saw this as "How about Ironworks?". I don't like Ironsmith because I would assume that the Action/Treasure/Victory interaction would be the same (though the same interaction is on Tribute).

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 04:22:26 pm »

i called it smith because i draws cards like smithy but its more flexible so i made it a silversmith maybe it could be called steel-smithy

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 04:25:52 pm »

i called it smith because i draws cards like smithy but its more flexible so i made it a silversmith maybe it could be called steel-smithy

In the overall game of dominion, nearly everything has been shown as +cards. Embassies, Hunting Grounds, Oracles, Torturers...

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 04:31:47 pm »
+1

I think as long as i like it with the name silversmith  i can keep it that way =)

cause i am German its called "Silberschmiede" on my actual Card

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 02:02:37 pm »

In the overall game of dominion, nearly everything has been shown as +cards. Embassies, Hunting Grounds, Oracles, Torturers...

To add some more fun: Moats, Courtyards, Nobles, Crossroads, Madman...

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 06:40:39 pm »
+2

I think as long as i like it with the name silversmith  i can keep it that way =)

Of course you can. Still, if you were looking for another name close to Smithy, how about Blacksmith (Hufschmied)? It contains a bit of Smithy, gives you money like Horse Trader does and likes Trusty Steeds Silver (Okay, i made that connection up... Sue me.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:42:32 pm by Asper »

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 01:23:00 am »

Of course you can. Still, if you were looking for another name close to Smithy, how about Blacksmith (Hufschmied)? It contains a bit of Smithy, gives you money like Horse Trader does and likes Trusty Steeds Silver (Okay, i made that connection up... Sue me.)
That is a nice idea , Thank you

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 06:52:48 am »

I just printed this card an going to playtest it today it turned out to the first version at 5$ with a gain effect. you gain a silver when you gain this. Sure its a strong opener at 5$ starts but so is mountebank.

Silversmith  - cost 5$

+2 cards
+ 1$

- treassure : +1$
- victory :+1Buy

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 06:35:41 pm »

tested it and it worked pretty well.
The option to discard an action came in handy pretty often and the victory discard was mot often used.
we never used the treasure option but if you only have treasures in hand you will gladly discard a copper and get at least +1$ for it even if it nets you nothing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.022 seconds with 21 queries.