Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]  All

Author Topic: 7 Wonders Teams  (Read 40698 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Wonders Teams
« Reply #575 on: August 13, 2013, 01:42:12 am »

Qvist totally suffered from having too few resources but I noticed it too late.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 13, 2013, 08:57:05 am »

I thought Ins and I were in a pretty bad spot when we saw our first hand. Off the top of my head, I think we had 3 of the 6 age I science cards between us, I had two and was passing away (so Ins would never see them) while Ins couldn't build the one he had. On top of that, two to our right was Archimedes, meaning the remaining science cards wouldn't get through. This was bad because Ins took a pretty much pure science leader set.

Still, we clawed our way back into the game, I'm kind of surprised we took 2nd actually. I think a few people scored quite low actually. Not surprised by eHalc's victory either.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 13, 2013, 09:18:30 am »

Hey, I won as well.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 13, 2013, 10:57:33 am »

Watno was a great partner and I certainly did not do everything on my own.

Ah, one more mistake!  For the Age III battle, Qvist earns 4 coins via Nero, giving him an extra point.

More random thoughts:

It was interesting how each of the teams aside from ours split on military, with one partner opting to go completely pacifist.  Watno and I didn't do this.  For me, since I was definitely not going science, I didn't want to eschew another potential stream of VP. This was especially true because I was beside Byzantium.  While that might be a deterrent in a regular game, in team play it just meant I had to invest less to win.  Watno had Justinian so he wanted to pick up a few reds as well.  We were a bit worried by Qvist's Nero because we thought he might push hard on military, but Watno kept pace (at least until the last age).  If it weren't for Justinian I think Watno would have given up on military from the start, but a nice effect of building it was that we would either score some points or Qvist would have to build more military and pass us better cards.  I'm not sure if that really came into play though, because of that Contingent.

I suppose Davio didn't even try for military because he was next to Rhodes, and mith didn't because he was Byzantium (and I got an early lead with Militia).  Insomniac just never had time, I think, as he was focused on green.

Ins/Tables, I don't think you were in that bad of a shape for science.  Those early hands do sound really crushing though.  However, it actually wasn't that bad that mith was on Ins' right.  That impacts your Age I quite a bit, but it gives you control in Age II.  I think Watno also passed on some greens because our original plan was to only finish one science set, which meant they would easily get through to you in Age II via Qvist and Davio.  Since mith was so low on resources and money, it made it harder for him to pick up Age III green since he didn't have all the chains he needed.

I think Galz and mith had the most interesting strategy.  Alexandria/Bilkis is neat for going low on resources, and then mith had Archimedes->Science->chaining and Ramses for Age III to also get by with few resources.  The reliance on chaining could be disrupted though, and the relative lack of coin made all the debt cards hurt a lot more.

What leaders did you all have that didn't get played?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 13, 2013, 12:08:45 pm »

Our QT: http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/cZhqsv6CYR8

Insom:
Solomon: Look through the discard pile and build a card for free.. Cost: 3 Coins.
Aristotle: 3 VPs per science set.. Cost: 3 Coins.
Ceaser: 2 Shields. Cost: 5 Coins.
Euclid: Compasses. Cost: 5 Coins.

Tables:
Zenobia: 3 VPs. Cost: 2 Coins.
Hannibal: 1 Shield. Cost: 2 Coins.
Nebuchadnezzar: 1 VP per blue card. Cost: 4 Coins.
Macenas: All future leaders can be played for free. Cost: 1 Coin.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 13, 2013, 02:38:31 pm »

Nebuchadnezzar could have been used.  You had one blue at that point and you had plenty of coin, so Neb would have had you nearly even.  There would be a slight chance of losing 1VP if that extra coin would have gotten you to a multiple of 3, but a greater chance of gaining more VP when building more blues.

Edit:

I think Solomon would have been a better play than Euclid at the start of Age II.  Solomon is $2 cheaper so you have an extra $2 you could use for other things.  More importantly, it gives you some helpful chains in Age II.  A reason to save it might be to pull back an Age II science card for chains in Age III, but your positioning made it likely to see lots of Age II green without trouble and there was no guarantee that an Age II science would be discarded.

I guess it didn't actually make a difference because you had a better choice when you saw Archery Range and you never even saw Laboratory.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:08:59 pm by eHalcyon »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 14, 2013, 05:04:18 am »

Our Leader draft was pretty horrid, I had Xenophon but that was about it.

We had planned for military with Nero, but didn't push hard enough.
Qvist just always suffered from resource deficiency because neither I or Watno had much for him to use. And even if we did, he just never really had any money. It's pretty harsh to have to build the Loom when your wonder already produces Cloth in order to build a wonder stage. Building a single card for one single purpose is just always bad. Maybe it would have been better to just forget about the wonder stage and focus more on general point cards.

There were a lot of times where he had to discard for coins and that's such a poor move. I was swimming in coins, but didn't have a real good way to pass them to Qvist, because of the rule that you have to use what you can produce first.

I ended up focusing too much on my end and not enough on the team aspect. Maybe it would have been better to slide some good cards through to Qvist instead of building them myself. But oh well, lessons I guess. Also, my concentration wasn't really in this one, I decided to take a less serious approach, also due to time restrictions in my hardworking life and got punished for it.

Congrats to the winning team, eHalc and Watno.

Now, to answer your question about "why did Qvist pass the Palace?"
He had to use either Palace or Builder's Union (everyone loses 1 coin per wonder stage) to build his wonder. He couldn't afford to get stuck with 0 coins, so we buried the BU.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 14, 2013, 01:22:30 pm »

What was in your leader draft?

From my first hand I took Diocletian and Watno took Justinian, leaving Ptolemy and Cleopatra.  Cleo isn't that bad.

Watno passed on Macenas, Alexander and Phidias.

Qvist had Nero and you had Xenophon from starting hands.  Nefertiti got passed to Qvist for his final.

I suppose Qvist took Alexander, hoping to capitalize on victories?  Well, Tables said he had Macenas so that must be it.

Your first leader hand had Leonidas, Caesar and Hannibal.  I suppose all of those are unappealing up against Rhodes.  Nonetheless, Caesar would have been an interesting choice to jump ahead of Rhodes and take a commanding lead.  I guess the lead is not as big with Hannibal there though.  If Xenophon was in that hand, certainly it was the best choice.

Nebuchadnezzar was passed to Tables after -- he's not that bad either!

Not sure where the cards were in your original hands, but I think it would have been good for one of you to take Xenophon and the other to take Phidias, instead of having you take both.  You with Xenophon is good because Rhodes tends to go heavy resources.  If you build lots of yellow, you can utilize that.  Since you would be heavy yellow, Qvist should build resources for himself (which you could then buy), so Phidias would be better for him.  The Nero-Alexander combo would have been good too, but you had to push harder for that.  But you couldn't have known that Watno would build some red anyway, just for Justinian.

You're right that Qvist building Loom was not so good.  It would have been better if he had taken the Forum.  I don't like Side A of the MG wonders for that reason.  You either need to count on Forum or waste a buy, because neighbours are less likely to build the grey when they can just buy it from you.  You could have built the Loom for Qvist, but that just means it's less likely that you can buy from him.

Definitely you need to keep an eye out for your partner.  There were lots of times when Watno or I passed on a good card because the other needed it more.

Good call on the Builder's Union.  I would have definitely built it.  I was building every debt card I could get because losing coins would be worse for me than for others, given that I had Midas.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 14, 2013, 03:35:21 pm »

This was my first leader pick.

Leonidas: Red cards cost 1 resource less. Cost: 2 Coins.
Imhotep: Wonder stages cost 1 resource less. Cost: 3 Coins.
Ceaser: 2 Shields. Cost: 5 Coins.
Hannibal: 1 Shield. Cost: 2 Coins.

So 3 leaders that focus on red and 1 that focuses on only 1 wonder stage for me, Imho doesn't work with coins unfortunately and I only had 2 stages.

Second pick:

Nebuchadnezzar: 1 VP per blue card. Cost: 4 Coins.
Xenophon: Gain 2 coins for each yellow card you play. Cost: 2 Coins.
Euclid: Compasses. Cost: 5 Coins.

From this I picked Xeno, Qvist had already picked Nero.

Third pick:

Macenas: All future leaders can be played for free. Cost: 1 Coin.
Phidias: 1 VP per brown card.. Cost: 3 Coins.

Well, I wasn't going to play many Leaders and I needed to get Xeno out firstly, so Macenas was out, just took Phidias. Qvist picked Alexander from this one orginally.

And finally I got Ptolemy: Tablet. Cost: 5 Coins.

So I could only get the maximum out of Xeno and I did, but the others were a bust.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 14, 2013, 03:50:00 pm »

Yeah, not the best hands.  I do think it would have benefited you guys if Qvist had taken Phidias though, so you could focus on yellow and he could focus on resources.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: October 14, 2013, 04:43:36 pm »

Sorry for not finishing the game, guys. It was really fun though. Thanks for modding the game and grats to the winners.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 14, 2013, 04:52:11 pm »

The stratego game is still waiting for you!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]  All

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.