Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tokaido Interest Check/Signup Thread  (Read 1742 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
Tokaido Interest Check/Signup Thread
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:14:11 am »

DESCRIPTION

In Tokaido, each player is a traveler crossing the "East sea road", one of the most magnificent roads of Japan. While traveling, you will meet people, taste fine meals, collect beautiful items, discover great panoramas, and visit temples and wild places but at the end of the day, when everyone has arrived at the end of the road you'll have to be the most initiated traveler – which means that you'll have to be the one who discovered the most interesting and varied things.

Through a unique zen mood, Tokaido is a strategic game while being extraordinarily peaceful and easy to learn.

Tokaido is an elegant and refreshing new kind of game.

RULES

You can find the English rules here (PDF on BGG).
I don't think it's very useful to post the rules here as well, they're really pretty simple so after reading it and completing one turn, you'll have gotten the hang of it. Most important rule is that the player who is in last place on the track gets to go until another player is last.

INTEREST

This is basically an interest check as well as a signup thread, just post if you want to join, the game is for 2-5 players. If more than 5 players want to join, I'll just use random.org to draw the players. There is no specific deadline, but if I think everyone who wanted to had a chance to join, I will decide to go ahead with the current entrants. If you're in too many PBF games already, feel free to /out to let others have a go.

MODERATION

This is mostly an experimental PBF as my time is severely limited at the moment and I too haven't played this game before. So when you join I hope you understand this may not be the quickest or most smooth PBF on these forums. Some spots allow for self moderation, for instance when you don't need to draw a card (Temple and Panorama) so you don't have to wait for me. Of course I will check the actions for any discrepancies.

GOLDEN RULE

Have fun!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Tokaido Interest Check/Signup Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:22:22 am »

CARDS

I saw that the Rules don't have lists of all the cards in the game. As I don't have the game, I don't know. If anyone can help me with this, great. I'm looking on the internet for them, but haven't found them yet. I'll list them here when I find them.

SOUVENIRS (24x)
Small Items (6x)
Yunomi - $1
Gofu - $1
Washi - $1
Koma - $1
Hashi - $1
Uchiwa - $1

Clothing (6x)
Yukata - $2
Haori - $2
Kan Zashi - $2
Sandogasa - $2
Geta - $2
Furoshiki - $2

Food (6x)
Kamaboko - $1
Manju - $1
Daifuku - $2
Sake - $2
Konpeito - $1
Ocha - $2

Art (6x)
Jubako - $2
Netsuke - $2
Shamisen - $3
Ukiyoe - $3
Sumie - $3
Shikki - $2

MEALS AT THE INN - 6 VP (25x)
Misoshiru - $1 (3x)
Nigirimeshi - $1 (3x)
Dango - $1 (3x)
Yakitori - $2 (2x)
Tempura - $2 (2x)
Soba - $2 (2x)
Tofu - $2 (2x)
Sushi - $2 (2x)
Tai Meshi - $3
Unagi - $3
Udon - $3
Fugu - $3
Sashimi - $3
Donburi - $3

HOT SPRINGS (12x)
3 VP (4x?)
2 VP (8x?)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:59:54 am by Davio »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:41:47 am »

Without having read the rules, what is the commitment level? Is it low like 7 Wonders, or high like Mafia?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:13:36 pm »

Without having read the rules, what is the commitment level? Is it low like 7 Wonders, or high like Mafia?
It's the same as 7 Wonders I think.

Basically you do one or several turns which take 1 or 2 actions per turn and then you have to wait until it's your turn again.
For some of the actions you have to wait for me to show you one or more cards and then you have to choose.

There's no direct interaction between players, so you only have to wait for me.

I think it appeals to the same crowd as 7 Wonders.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 02:48:55 pm »

It's by the same designer as 7 Wonders, and has lots of similar scoring mechanisms. The gameplay itself is totally different mind. I would be interested in trying it out.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 03:50:51 pm »

It's by the same designer as 7 Wonders, and has lots of similar scoring mechanisms. The gameplay itself is totally different mind. I would be interested in trying it out.

Interest piqued.  I'll go read the rules.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:59:18 pm »

Are the Inns FIFO or FILO?  The rules are clear that the order is important, but it seems ambiguous which way the order works.

I am willing to give it a shot.  Reading the rules gives me like zero inkling of strategy.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 05:29:54 pm »

FYI, one of my trusted boardgaming friends wrote a really harsh review of Tokaido: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/874185/zen-and-the-art-of-victory-point-maintenance

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 05:45:34 pm »

FYI, one of my trusted boardgaming friends wrote a really harsh review of Tokaido: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/874185/zen-and-the-art-of-victory-point-maintenance

Interesting. Hm.

Well, it sure is pretty.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 06:18:10 pm »

Tokaido never appealed to me and I couldn't really explain why. This summarizes it really good. It's only an experience and with a minimal amount of strategy. It could imagine playing it with my wife, but I think it's nothing for me to play here by PBF. But sure if there's an empty space you need to fill, I'm happy to fill it up, it's light enough.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 07:09:16 pm »

I find that review interesting that it criticizes the lack of decisions as it's main issue, yet the reviewer has a Love Letter microbadge - a game which seems to have even fewer decisions, and a much bigger luck factor, and fills the same niche of being a light filler.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 07:14:16 pm »

I find that review interesting that it criticizes the lack of decisions as it's main issue, yet the reviewer has a Love Letter microbadge - a game which seems to have even fewer decisions, and a much bigger luck factor, and fills the same niche of being a light filler.

From the review i dont think its the lack of decisions thats his problem, its that those decisions always end up having little effect
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 10:01:31 am »

Are the Inns FIFO or FILO?  The rules are clear that the order is important, but it seems ambiguous which way the order works.

I am willing to give it a shot.  Reading the rules gives me like zero inkling of strategy.

"FILO"? I think this is the first time I hear that used, instead of "LIFO".

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 05:11:16 am »

I'm aborting this due to lack of interest.

I've read the review and it seems there are two ways to play and enjoy the game: With 2 or 3 players it's a more interactive cutthroat style game where trying to block other players from going to crucial spots is quite important. With 4-5 players it seems more relaxed and less strategic, it becomes more of roll-and-move type of game where you can hardly go wrong by just going to the immediate next empty spot instead of skipping ahead.

Maybe they will "fix" the problem that there isn't a lot of incentive to skip ahead in 4-5 players, maybe not.
I think it's a good fit for my family with 4-5, because they aren't very experienced gamers and I want them to win sometime without me looking like I'm throwing the game. :)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 04:51:43 am »

I'm aborting this due to lack of interest.

Yes, sorry. I don't feel that is the game that I want to play over Forum. It's too light/random for me.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 12:41:41 pm »

I'm aborting this

Shouldn't this be in RSP then? :P
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.124 seconds with 19 queries.