Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Got seaside!  (Read 1990 times)

tolenmar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Got seaside!
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:29:52 am »
+4

Seaside just came in. Now I have two (count them, two!) whole sets to play with at the table.

First, I love the little silver and gold coins.  Most other places would have cheaped out and put more cardboard in. I was really surprised.

So I played a couple of games from the book with my son. We started with High Seas, and I won. Those duration cards are really an interesting change to the game. I was cycling my deck so, sooo much faster with them in it. I should have bought more islands. I love how you can now thin the deck without giving up the points. My son pulled a pirate ship and had it up to +4, but we embargoed the pirate ships, putting an end to his buying them. I bought a couple of wharfs, and then embargoed them. No one got any curses, we just avoided buying the embargoed cards. I didn't need them once I got my deck going, and my son...I don't know what his strategy was. But then again, I don't think he knows either, he's just a very intuitive player.

Now, normally, he only likes to play one game and then go find something else to do. But he's also competitive.  So when he lost the first game, he wanted another set up so he would have a chance to win. So we set up Buried Treasure. (Except when I unpacked everything, I accidentally swapped Treasury with Treasure Map, so we had Treasuries instead...)

I lost that one.  I just couldn't get things moving fast enough to catch up with him.  I know what I did wrong, though: I succumbed to 'new toy' syndrome, and did like I used to do.  Which was to buy OMG ONE OF EVERYTHING! TOO COOL! So I got to play with Lighthouses (One of my current favorites), caravans, wharf's, Tacticians, and Outposts (among others). I almost got a double tactician off.  At least until my son pointed out that if you play one tactician, you have to discard the other before you get the benefits. Duh. I'll claim it as a senior moment.

And for the record, last nights games were the first ever where I managed to buy two provinces in one turn. That felt really cool.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Got seaside!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:39:21 am »

Automatic +1 for playing with your son.  ;D

Considering a -1 for Embargoing Pirate Ships. >:(

Still, very cool to see people still have these kinds of Dominion experiences.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:50:04 am »

Seaside is in my top 2 favorite sets (along with Prosperity). Glad to see you liked it so much!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

tolenmar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:18:53 am »

-1 eh?  ;D

I saw my way through that game without the Pirate Ships, but I figured he would spam me with them if I let him. It was fun, though.

I bought Seaside based on recommendations here.  I was originally planning on buying Intrigue.  Having said that, I'll probably order the next set in a month or so, so if anyone wants to make suggestions which one that should be, feel free.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:20:40 am »
+1

I almost got a double tactician off.  At least until my son pointed out that if you play one tactician, you have to discard the other before you get the benefits. Duh. I'll claim it as a senior moment.

Just as a note, when people refer to "Double Tactician", what they usually mean is having two (or more Tacticians) in your deck, and then playing one each turn. Usually this would be pointless, because you would have to discard your hand, including the extra five cards, but a Double Tactician deck will use the cards in some way before playing the new Tactician, like playing Lighthouses or Fishing Villages for money, or using extra actions to play actions that provide money. The goal is to be able to produce $8 (or more) before playing the new Tactician and discarding the rest of your hand, then buying a Province, and drawing another bonus five cards every turn.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4086
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:21:22 am »
+4

Having said that, I'll probably order the next set in a month or so, so if anyone wants to make suggestions which one that should be, feel free.

Prosperity

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:16 am »
+1

Pirate Ship can be strong if the board doesn't have good ways to win without buying Treasure. If you can manage not to buy much treasure, though, your son's Pirate Ships will get rid of your Copper for you, letting you draw your good cards more often. With things like Treasury, getting rid of many Coppers is very helpful.

tolenmar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:56:41 am »

Just as a note, when people refer to "Double Tactician", what they usually mean is having two (or more Tacticians) in your deck, and then playing one each turn.

Yeah, I get that. My mistake was that, for a moment or two, I was thinking +10 cards next turn. I did have plenty of virtual coin in play during that game, so the pirate ship wasn't that big of a deal. It would be nice to be able to find a way to remove tokens from the ship when it belongs to the opponent.

However, based on my limited experience, I expect that Pirate ship is one of those cards where both sides get one because you can't often afford to let your opponent get that far ahead of you if you don't.  Kinda like Witches and curses. Am I right?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 10:59:23 am »

However, based on my limited experience, I expect that Pirate ship is one of those cards where both sides get one because you can't often afford to let your opponent get that far ahead of you if you don't.  Kinda like Witches and curses. Am I right?

Depends on the board; a lot of times, you're happy if the other person gets Pirate Ship, because you can use the fact that he's cleaning out your deck for you to get a big lead that he can't catch up from, even with big dollar Pirate Ships. You have to either get far ahead or end the game before they can use that long build up.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 02:49:19 am »

Having said that, I'll probably order the next set in a month or so, so if anyone wants to make suggestions which one that should be, feel free.

Prosperity
Yes, adding Colonies and Platinums changes the game radically.

Why? Well, with no trashing and no cursing the total number of victory points in a 2 player Province kingdom, not counting starting estates, is (8 + 24 + 48) = 80. Adding eight 10 point Colonies doubles this to 160. This means that there is simply more time for advanced strategies to compete with simple money strategies. Even if your opponent has bought 7 Provinces, you can still overtake him with 6 Colonies.

Now I don't recommend playing every game with Colonies and Platinums as I think correctly judging whether a complex engine is viable in a Province game is also an important skill in this game, but it's a lot of fun.

And with Prosperity you get the VP tokens from Monument and Bishop (yay!) and Goons (boo!). VP tokens also change the game since there is now no more "upper limit" on the number of points a player can get.

Then you have King's Court which seems only a bit more powerful than Throne Room but in fact it's waaaaaay waaay waaay more powerful. You only have to play King's Court Wharf a couple of times to see what I mean.

For the money player Bank and Hoard are very fun additions to the set.

All in all I think Prosperity is great. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 17 queries.