Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]  All

Author Topic: 7 Wonders I (Game over!)  (Read 35928 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Wonders I (Game over!)
« Reply #425 on: February 14, 2013, 07:00:24 pm »

After reading the Spectator QT, felt like I should talk to eHalc about somethings:

I shouldn't have passed on military so much. Probably should have taken one of them over Arena that one hand, and then snag another one in the last hand. But maybe Galz would have built one too, making the one I built obsolete. Hard to say now, but I probably would do it if I could go back.

Me taking Study over University was my biggest misplay. Didn't realize that University was the only Tablet left and I should have taken it when I could.

Not getting that Brick for my second stage killed me a bit too. There were so many cards in Age III I wish I could have just stuffed underneath my Wonder.

--

Even though I got 6th place, it was still a blast. Halikanossos B is my favorite wonder IRL, so I was glad I got dealt it. Thanks modding Tables, and congrats to Qvist for the win. Hopefully I'll be able to play in the future when I'm not V/LA.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 14, 2013, 07:09:25 pm »

I like the theorycraft, but I do not have this game down pat.  I haven't even played it all that much.  So even if I disagreed with something you did, it doesn't mean that it was the wrong move.  :)

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 14, 2013, 09:07:57 pm »

Yeah my civilization encourages science. But it truly is better when no one else contests for them. As eHalc pointed out several times in the Spectator QT, I had to pass on some REALLY good cards for science.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 15, 2013, 02:31:35 am »

Yeah my civilization encourages science. But it truly is better when no one else contests for them. As eHalc pointed out several times in the Spectator QT, I had to pass on some REALLY good cards for science.
I guess this is similar to Dominion as well where you get some hands with 3 Golds and some hands with 0 instead of a perfect $8 every single hand.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Wonders I (Age III card 6)
« Reply #429 on: February 15, 2013, 03:16:02 am »

7th: Insomniac as The Statue of Zeus at Olympia (A) - 42VPs
6th: Archetype as The Mausoleum of Halikarnassos (B) - 45VPs
5th: Galzria as The Colossus of Rhodes (B) - 47 VPs
4th: sparky5856 as The Hanging Gardens of Babylon (A) - 50VPs
3rd: mith as The Pyramids of Gizah (B) - 55VPs
2nd: Davio as the Temple of Artemis of Ephesos (B) - 59VPs
1st: Qvist as The Lighthouse of Alexandria (B) - 69VPs

I have to say, 69VPs is a huge score, I really had to double check everything actually added up there. But yeah, it does. Two very good guilds, and the Palace and Pantheon are the main factors, as well as 15VPs from military from just three cards.

Good game everyone!
Wow, even 42 is a very solid score, normally I see scores in the 30s in a seven person game.  And 69 is definitely one of the larger scores I've seen.  I'd be interested to see how this all happened when I have the time to read the tableaus.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 15, 2013, 05:02:58 am »

This game is so easy. Just build ressources in Age I and get points in Age II and III.  :P
I have no idea that my score was high. I think I got lucky, especially in Age III, I got all the high value blue cards.
Reading the QTs, it's interesting that you argued about my bad Loom play, so maybe I could even more points, especially as my last Military card was useless in the end. So I even could have had more points, but I wanted to play it safe.

What would interest me, is there any evaluation (e.g on BGG) what the highest possible score in a solo base game is if you can build any card you want (ignoring Military of course)? I guess it's with Science and probably some Guilds.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 15, 2013, 05:12:40 am »

Haha, regarding the highest possible score, I just found this: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/610359/theoretical-maximum-score
Guess who started that thread!?  :P

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 15, 2013, 05:35:34 am »

This game is so easy. Just build ressources in Age I and get points in Age II and III.  :P
I have no idea that my score was high. I think I got lucky, especially in Age III, I got all the high value blue cards.
Reading the QTs, it's interesting that you argued about my bad Loom play, so maybe I could even more points, especially as my last Military card was useless in the end. So I even could have had more points, but I wanted to play it safe.

What would interest me, is there any evaluation (e.g on BGG) what the highest possible score in a solo base game is if you can build any card you want (ignoring Military of course)? I guess it's with Science and probably some Guilds.
Well, for science you can get Leaders, Babylon and the Guild, let's put something together for a multiplayer game where people are helping you.

Start with Babylon A and $6, sit next to Rome and Olympia, use Cities.

Play Leader Archimedes ($3)
Age I: Apothecary (C), Workshop (G), Scriptorium (T), Pawnshop (3 VP), E or W Trading Post, Barracks (1 Shield)
Age I double victory: 2 VP
Get $1 from Pigeon Loft
Coins left: $4

Play Leader Aristotle ($3)
Age II: Get $8 from neighbors building 2 Temples and 2 Forums, Dispensary (C), Laboratory (G), Library (T), School (T) (pay $1), Wonder stage 1 for $1, Wonder stage 2 for $3
Age II double victory: 6 VP
Get $2 from Gambling House
Coins left: $6

Play Leader Ptolemy ($4)
Age III: Get $8 from neighbors using Brick, Lodge (C), Observatory (G), University (T), Academy (C), Study (G), Scientist's Guild for $5
Age III military victory: 10 VP
Coins left: $6
Coins from neighbors building stages: $4 from Rome 1 and 2
Coins left: $10

Total science: 5C, 5G, 5T  = 25 + 25 + 25 + 5 * 7 =  110 VP
Aristotle: 5 * 3 = 15 VP
Military: 18 VP
Wonder: 3 VP
Money: 3 VP
Pawnshop: 3 VP
Grand total: 152 VP

Probably still incorrect, wasn't really looking to be actually accurate with the neighbors, but a good start. :)
Without Cities, I think it still works, but you get 1 VP less.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:01:16 am by Davio »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 15, 2013, 07:59:33 am »

Haha, regarding the highest possible score, I just found this: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/610359/theoretical-maximum-score

Somewhere on there (possibly in the Leaders section), I demonstrated a strategy that gets you IIRC about 208 points with base+leaders. 7 player (for maximum guilds, doubles of most cards and money funneling) though. With cities, that should easily be able to be pumped up by about 40-50 or so (due to an extra card play, masks and more options)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 15, 2013, 08:15:00 am »

Somewhere on there (possibly in the Leaders section), I demonstrated a strategy that gets you IIRC about 208 points with base+leaders. 7 player (for maximum guilds, doubles of most cards and money funneling) though. With cities, that should easily be able to be pumped up by about 40-50 or so (due to an extra card play, masks and more options)
Found it: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/793907/maximum-possible-score

Hadn't thought about using the neighbor-blue Guild or the neighbor-purple Guild, but those can lead to big scores I guess.
Our method's still pretty much the same I think, the linchpin is getting those 3x5 Science sets.

That and I forgot you get to play 7 cards instead of 6 with Cities.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:16:39 am by Davio »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 15, 2013, 10:10:20 am »

I recanted later and said it was an ok play. I can't remember your other choices from that hand though. Being next to Ins with his full set of greys, you didn't NEED Loom. But it was fine. :)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 15, 2013, 12:17:16 pm »

Found it: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/793907/maximum-possible-score

Hadn't thought about using the neighbor-blue Guild or the neighbor-purple Guild, but those can lead to big scores I guess.
Our method's still pretty much the same I think, the linchpin is getting those 3x5 Science sets.

That and I forgot you get to play 7 cards instead of 6 with Cities.

Not sure if it's possible to have the coin and resources to get them all in play, but...

With just green cards, you can get 4 sets of Science.  With three leaders, you can get to 5 sets.  Then you can have two wild card symbols from Babylon and Scientists Guild, plus 3 more from Masks.  Those are actually worth more if you stack them into one symbol rather than making a sixth set, even taking into account Aristotle, which the science player might do well to copy using Courtesans Guild.

So then the score would be 25+25+100+5*7+5*3 = 200.  And then you can go about increasing that with other things.

This would be really tight to pull off though.  Um, Age I you need to build 3 greens and 1 black, probably 1 red... maybe first two wonder stages too?  Have neighbours help out by building or starting with needed resources and paying Babylon for that Brick.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]  All

Page created in 1.507 seconds with 19 queries.