Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Through the Ages III + IV signups - Games started!  (Read 3653 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
Through the Ages III + IV signups - Games started!
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:53:58 pm »

Through the Ages is a civilization building game. The goal is to develop your civilization, not to destroy other ones. Military strength is just one aspect of your nation, as well as population, production or science. It is up to you which aspect you will concentrate on, more or less, but you should not underestimate any of them while building your civilization.

Victory is achieved by the player whose nation produces the most culture during the game. However, there are many ways to produce culture: through religion, literature or drama, by building wonders, by utilizing cultural persons etc. Considerable amount of culture can be gained even via wars or aggression.
Description from BGG

This is the thread for the third Play By Forum game of Vlaada Chvátil's Through The Ages, which I'm opening as it looks like there's sufficient interest in another forum game (despite people playing on BGO - forum play is more exciting and personal!). This is not a short, simple game; it is an epic civilisation building game. Depending on player (and moderator!) speed, the game could take months to complete, but this does give players a good chance to evaluate the board and their options.

A copy of the rules can be found on BGG here. The rules are great, they're mostly very clear, and so I will make no attempt to explain the rules myself, and instead advise players to read them (you will need a BGG account, which if you don't have, is hassle free to make). I will of course try and answer any questions players may have.

The game will be run primarily from a spreadsheet, such as the one shown here. I have some midifications from TtAI planned for ease of use. Notably, only a single public sheet will be provided, instead of a sheet for each player. This sheet will show each player's Civil cards. Military cards will be sent to each player via PM on the forum.
I also hope to supply each player with a sheet they can play around on, implement their actions as they go and find out if/how much corruption they'll be facing (and of course provide some easy instructions on how to use said sheet). This should make it easier for players to calculate whats going on in their civilisation, especially after things get complicated.

Players may wish to bookmark this link, which shows all of the available actions (excluding extras given by wonders or leaders), as well as the turn structure summary. Sections 1 and 6 will of course be performed by me between turns.

Some notes for PBF:
  • Please do not contact other players about the game outside this thread. I'm not saying you can't mention the game in other threads, but don't go out of your way to conspire in a way that isn't public.
  • I will be respecting the standard rules for pacts. This means, you can't talk about a pact you might be proposing before you do, you have to play it, name the roles and the other player can respond. Breaking this rule results in forfeiting your political action for the turn.
  • Hopefully the spreadsheets will work, but if there are any issues that crop up, let me know! Also, if you feel that some details could be better displayed, or should be displayed somewhere else, let me know - the sheets are, after all, for your benefit.
  • For ease of spotting what your official actions are, please bold your final actions.
  • I'm usually pretty lenient about letting people take back actions they realize are not what they wanted to do. Primarily this is intended as a catch for if you have corruption, civil actions remaining, or an uprising, all of which can be easy to miss.
  • Try to check the game frequently, even when it isn't your turn, as political actions regularly affect everyone. If you sign up, I'd say at a minimum you should be able to check the thread at least once per day except weekends, ideally more times than that. That said if you check regularly you won't have to do anything a lot of the times you check, and when you do need to it's perfectly acceptable (and advised!) to mull over your options a bit.

Taking your turn:
Turn structure

1) Updating the card row: I will do this for you between turns along with step 7

2) Outcome of a war: You sacrifice units, then they sacrifice units, then one or both of you might need to make decisions based on what happened. I will update other things (usually culture) as I see them.

3) Political action: This is probably the most complex bit of your turn. If you want to play an:
  • Event: State that you are playing an event in the thread along with it's age. Then, I will reveal the next current event and resolve it (which may require decisions from various players)
  • Aggression: Play the aggression in the thread, name your target, and post what you're sacrificing (if you can calculate it yourself, please include your total strength for the aggression as well!). Your rival then posts what they're sacrificing (or bonus cards), and one or both of you might then have to make choices regarding the outcome.
  • Pact: Play the pact in the thread, specify which player is A and which is B (if relevant). Your target then either accepts or rejects. Once the proposal has been made, you can talk about it, but you cannot renege or change the proposal.
  • War: Announce it as though it were an aggression, but then simply carry on with your turn. Remember it's resolved next turn
  • No action: Announce you are skipping your political action (note: Please do announce it, otherwise I might ask people to wait as I check, did you really mean to skip your political action?)

4) Discard excess military cards: Check your military hand limit (normally =military actions), then PM me military cards until you are at your military hand limit. This is the most commonly missed part of people's turn, please try to remember to do this!

5) Civil and Military actions: Post all of your civil and military actions directly into the thread. For the first few turns, or whenever you aren't sure, it may be a good idea to PM them to me instead, just to double check everything you're trying to do is valid, or perhaps mess around on your provided spreadsheet and see if what you want to happen seems to be happening. It's easy to forget a few things and make a few mistakes, like, you used military actions on an aggression/war, or that Wonder cost 1 CA more than you thought because you've completed a Wonder already, or accidentally trying to play a military tech with a military action instead of a civil one, and that's just a few examples. Either way if your move is valid, it stands (and I'll post it if you PM'd me) and I'll update everything based on it. If you did something wrong, I'll let you know, and you can fix it.

6) Production and Maintenance: I'll do all of this for you. Once I post in the thread the updated card row, take that as a sign that your indicators are updated, food and resources are updated, and your military cards are available.

Rules in use
We will be playing the alternate corruption rule. This lets you choose to not produce one resource token in your production phase. In essence, this rule will reduce your corruption by 1 if you would have exactly 0, 4 or 8 blue tokens left and at least one Bronze mine.
Other than that, I'm open to any other rules/variant suggestions! Let me know if there's something you desperately want to try as you sign up.
I'm happy to run a 3 or 4 player games, depending on interest and player preference.

Signups (I will be splitting these into two games, one of more experienced and one of less experienced players)
Kuildeous
Galzria
Watno
Jorbles
Qvist
Bozzball
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:24:15 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Ages III - New players welcome - 0/4 slots
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:00:00 pm »

/out for new players
/in otherwise
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 05:00:22 pm »

/out for new players
/in otherwise

Ditto.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 05:02:49 pm »

Oh, small point: I'd ideally like to have two new players, and two experienced (or at least non-new :P) players in this game, but I'm not going to stick strongly to it. The basic reasoning being, I don't one one new player who might easily fall behind, so I'd like two for that reason. And I don't really want only one experienced player, because then they might easily dominate. I don't expect it to be a huge problem if I don't get this balance, but I think it might work a little better, so if there's a little more interest than space (optimism...) I might prioritise people based on that.

PPE (that's actually a real edit): Looks like you guys are already being thoughtful  :-*
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Ages III - New players welcome - 2/4 slots
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 05:51:33 pm »

This game is so great, and TTAII is stalling right now, so if you can't find new players I'd step in (I'm almost a new player still.) I'd bow out for true new players.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Ages III - New players welcome!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 02:21:49 am »

In, unless someone new wants in.
TTA II update hopefully coming tonight. (tomorrow for Americans)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 03:17:50 am »

I'm also /in if I'm allowed to. I consider myself still a new player.

bozzball

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 03:33:13 am »

I got the game for christmas and have played the advanced game 2-player about 15 times, but have never played >2-player or the full game. I guess I would call myself "pretty new".

I would like to /in if it won't mess things up.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 01:44:48 pm »

Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong but:

Experienced/somewhat experienced:
Kuildeous
Galzria
Watno

New/fairly new:
Jorbles
Qvist
Bozzball

Okay, so, that's 6 people interested and if you haven't already realised, I'm crazy when it comes to modding games. So I think I might wait a little longer, and run two games, one for the more experienced and one for the less. If we don't get extra people, then 3 player games are perfectly acceptable.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Ages III + IV signups - Tables goes crazy and runs two games
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »

Aw man, I was hoping to play with Donald X. You lucky bastards.

Speaking of which, have you sent him a personal invite to play the game? I get the feeling he doesn't read these forums too much. He only recently discovered we've been playing Gauntlet of Fools.
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 02:02:30 pm »

Aw man, I was hoping to play with Donald X. You lucky bastards.

Speaking of which, have you sent him a personal invite to play the game? I get the feeling he doesn't read these forums too much. He only recently discovered we've been playing Gauntlet of Fools.

Well, there's a LOT going on the forums now to expect anybody to keep up with! Especially someone who (rightfully) dedicates a vast majority of his time here to the discussion of the game that brought us all together in the first place!

Still, you should absolutely send him a person PM inviting him to play!

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 02:13:16 pm »

Uhh... well... I'll ask him in the questions thread. But really I expect he'll say no, not because he doesn't want to, but because it might lead to him being asked to play other games and stuff.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 02:15:13 pm »

And Tables, yes, you are crazy. But hey, I can't complain, I can play another game.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 02:17:05 pm »

On second thoughts, I've decided I'm not going to ask. He really isn't going to say yes, guys :P.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 02:36:32 pm »

Okay. I thought I read from someone that Donald was interested in checking out the game. Or maybe it was for any Chvatil game. I could be wrong.

Hmm, wonder how Dungeon Lords would fare on a forum game. Lots of swearing, I'm sure.
A man has no signature

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 02:45:31 pm »

If a friend has a newly released game and puts it on the table, who's name as the game designer would get you most eager to play?
In the 90s, Reiner Knizia and Richard Garfield were the two I was most likely to buy new games from. These days I might pick Vlaada Chvatil; I do not have much experience with his games, so this isn't due to that; but from reading the descriptions, they are the ones I am most interested in.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 03:15:08 pm »

Yeah, I know. If someone else wants to invite him, by all means, but I don't really think it's worth doing.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 03:30:04 pm »

Meh, what the hell? I'll send an invite. The worst that can happen is he'll say no.

Well, and maybe come over and stab my dog. That's also pretty bad.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 04:03:17 pm »

Okay so Tables had an idea. I've realised with not too much effort, I can make a direct table output, which would totally eliminate the need to play via spreadsheet at all. This is a not-entirely-tidied up version (proof of concept if you will), but I'd like to know what you think of it. I'm going to have to mess around a little more to discover if I can do things like borders and column widths easily (right now about half of those columns could be cut out with resizing), hopefully I can.

(For reference it's a slightly messed around with version of Qvist's civilisation from last game. No particular reason for using Qvists)

Tables had an idea. It was bad. Well, no, the idea was good, but the tools available on the forum were not sufficient for it to look good. If you are reading this post for the first time, don't panic.

Card TypeCardCostBenefitsWorkersOther notes
GovernmentDemocracy (III)8 (21) Sci2 Culture, 7 Civil Actions, 3 Military ActionsBuilding limit: 4
WonderEiffel Tower (II)3 7 3 Res4 Culture, 1 Happiness
WonderInternet (III)2 3 4 3 2 ResImmediately score 2 culture per level of each of your labs and libraries (18 Culture scored)
LeaderGame Designer (III)6 Culture, -2 ScienceEach of your labs produces culture: 1 per level; each lab produces 1 less science
ConstructionArchitecture (II)6 SciLevel I buildings cost 1 less resource; level II & III 2 less; can build up to 3 stages of wonder in 1 civil action
PactMilitary Pact (III)4 StrengthA & B both get +4 strength; ends if one attacks the other. Owned by Galzria
FarmAgriculture (A)0 Sci, 2 Res1 Food1 Workers, 0 Blue Tokens
FarmSelective Breeding (II)5 Sci, 6 Res3 Food2 Workers, 4 Blue Tokens
MineBronze (A)0 Sci, 2 Res1 Resources0 Workers, 0 Blue Tokens
MineIron (I)5 Sci, 5 Res2 Resources3 Workers, 3 Blue Tokens
MineOil (III)9 Sci, 11 Res5 Resources1 Workers, 1 Blue Tokens
TempleReligion (A)0 Sci, 3 Res1 Culture, 1 Happiness0 Workers
TempleTheology (I)2 Sci, 4 Res1 Culture, 2 Happiness0 Workers
TempleOrganized Religion (II)4 Sci, 5 Res1 Culture, 3 Happiness2 Workers
LabPhilosophy (A)0 Sci, 3 Res1 Science0 Workers
LabAlchemy (I)4 Sci, 5 Res2 Science0 Workers
LabComputers (III)8 Sci, 8 Res5 Science2 Workers
LibraryJournalism (II)6 Sci, 6 Res2 Culture, 2 Science0 Workers
LibraryMultimedia (III)9 Sci, 9 Res3 Culture, 3 Science1 Workers
InfantryWarriors (A)0 Sci, 2 Res1 Strength0 Workers
InfantrySwordsmen (I)3 Sci, 3 Res2 Strength1 Workers
CavalryKnights (I)4 Sci, 3 Res2 Strength1 Workers
ArtilleryCannon (II)7 Sci, 5 Res3 Strength1 Workers
ArtilleryRockets (III)10 Sci, 7 Res5 Strength1 Workers
TacticsNone0 Strength2 Artillery. 4 Strength
Unused Workers1 WorkersMinimum Happiness: 7
Population Bank2 WorkersConsumption: 4. Cost to increase population: 7
Resource Bank10 Blue TokensCorruption (before production): 0
Total population17 Workers
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:45:28 pm by Tables »

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 04:11:39 pm »

That's nice, but I don't get why this is necessary. Isn't that even more work without a real benefit?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 04:14:51 pm »

It's not that it was necessary, it's just I thought it would make the game easier to play. The information would be hopefully easier to read, and I wouldn't have to maintain multiple spreadsheets. Unfortunately there aren't enough BBcode options to make it really worthwhile :(. If I could resize columns, it would probably be a MUCH better interface.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 04:17:34 pm »

Hmm, I prefer the look of the spreadsheet. I may just be a spreadsheet kind of guy, though.

I could work with this. It just wouldn't be my preferred format.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 04:20:16 pm »

Yeah, definitely not with the lack of formatting options for Tables:P. Gonna stick with spreadsheets then.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 04:27:52 pm »

It's okay, I don't think it's as easy to read as the spreadsheets though. Is it easier to maintain? I thought the spreadsheets would save the mod a lot of time on the little arithmetic changes, and leave less errors.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 04:29:59 pm »

It's nearly impossible to read from my mobile, although I could probably find a work around.

Mafia Record:

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 04:30:55 pm »

i want in on one of these
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 04:37:51 pm »

I guess I didn't explain what it was I was trying clearly enough.

I created a sheet that basically takes the civilisation and outputs in table format for the forum. This means I would do everything on the spreadsheet, but it would be transferred to the forum, meaning everything you need to know would be in one place (well two - your PMs for military cards and my posts here). BUT it turns out that the options you have for manipulating tables on the forum are basically nil - you can't even change the column width, which makes it hard to read, and generally means everyone is worse off. I didn't realise this when I first made the post, I was posting to get some initial feedback/see how it looked, and then checking what the options were afterwards.

I'm sticking with spreadsheets.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 05:30:31 pm »

It's nearly impossible to read from my mobile, although I could probably find a work around.

Yeah, the Google doc reads fine on my mobile. I didn't do a lot of moves in I that way, but I had a few.
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 05:42:39 pm »

Yeah, the Google doc reads fine on my mobile. I didn't do a lot of moves in I that way, but I had a few.

Almost all of mine are, so it's pretty important for me. It's one of the things I like about BGO, is that I can operate from my mobile while on the go.

Mafia Record:

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 05:45:37 pm »

Now if only you could properly edit google docs on a phone...

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 05:52:40 pm »

Now if only you could properly edit google docs on a phone...

Using Drive isn't terrible... but there's still some major functionality lost.

Mafia Record:

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 06:10:37 pm »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApPT0N9WtHcKdHA0LWl6WTYwN2d0QUVCZFAtV3VyeHc#gid=15

This is the sheet everyone will get. Well, everyone in one of the games. Everyone in the other will get a conspicuously similar, but differently named sheet. Is sending military cards via PM an issue for those of you playing on phones? If it is I can work around it.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 06:20:23 pm »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApPT0N9WtHcKdHA0LWl6WTYwN2d0QUVCZFAtV3VyeHc#gid=15

This is the sheet everyone will get. Well, everyone in one of the games. Everyone in the other will get a conspicuously similar, but differently named sheet. Is sending military cards via PM an issue for those of you playing on phones? If it is I can work around it.

Everything as hosted last game was absolutely perfect for me.

Mafia Record:

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 06:26:20 pm »

Does that mean you'd prefer mil cards to be on a personal spreadsheet?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 07:17:11 pm »

Does that mean you'd prefer mil cards to be on a personal spreadsheet?

Oh, sorry - no, by PM is perfectly fine as well. I do most of my forum going from my mobile anyway. The only thing that doesn't work is the formatting on "Tables" (harhar).

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 10:12:21 pm »

That doc is beautimous.

I especially like listing what military cards were played. That should help a lot in a game that takes weeks to play.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Ages III + IV signups - Two spaces left, new players welcome
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 10:50:17 pm »

If we get no new signups by then, I'll try and start by Monday evening (GMT), although that's also the first day of term so I might end up being busy (interpret 'busy' as being 'playing boardgames IRL'). However if we do get extra signups, I'll delay a little while. Probably at least a few days, I mean those rules aren't easy right? I don't want anyone to feel under time pressure.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 04:29:19 pm »

Last 24ish hours for players to sign up!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 11:59:13 am »

Through the Ages III has been started for Bozzball, Qvist and Jorbles. There's still a little bit of time before I start Through the Ages IV if someone wants to jump into that space.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 1.596 seconds with 19 queries.