Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34  All

Author Topic: Through the Ages online  (Read 198100 times)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Ages online
« Reply #425 on: April 28, 2013, 09:29:34 pm »
+1

Kirian -- yeah, that's what I meant. Two from the worker pool would be much worse!

Just finished our first game! I won with 180, while my roommates had 121 and 63.

Overall, it was pretty competitive -- I won because of my steady culture point trickle -- I was getting 4/turn as soon as Age I. One other person went heavy into science, and was getting new technologies basically every turn. However, he didn't start building up culture points until it was too late.

The player in third place got pretty unlucky, and didn't have a chance to build up his infrastructure -- he never saw an iron card, and the two coal cards were both near the very end of Age II. He just fell too far behind, and couldn't build the military to avoid pretty frequent aggressions against him.

It was really fun, and definitely inefficient, even playing without the rule to lose two population per age. Happiness would have been a serious problem for all of us if we kept losing workers.

Looking forward to playing again, and I'll probably want to join games with other F.DS people after my finals are over

180 is a seriously good score for an advanced game! Did you play 3 ages instead of 2 by any chance? If not... I'm scared, I don't think I could ever get anywhere near that in two ages.
Or you might have made some other errors along the way, but eh, not that significant. You learn the mistakes while playing online.

As for the third person... Iron and Coal aren't that good. Missing Iron isn't good, but you can easily work around it - build an extra bronze mine or two, grab useful yellow cards, research Architecture or Masonry, get a leader who helps etc. If you're doing the proper Advance game (age II end), then I'd be fine with missing Iron. In a full game, seeing Coal that late would definitely be a big blow, but not terrible. Especially if, judging from your wording, I'd say you took Iron for 3 CAs each? That's a huge tempo loss for you two he didn't have.
Still, for a beginner I can definitely see the issue. Experienced players can easily work around not having Iron, and can even be in situations where Iron would be actually detrimental to them (I've had one 4 player game where nobody researched Iron). Less experienced players though, it's definitely good to have.

We played all 3 ages, so yeah, 180 is slightly less impressive :P I'm pretty sure we didn't make any errors -- it's impossible to know for sure, of course, but as far as I can tell there were no screw-ups.

We did take the Iron for 3 CA's each -- probably not the wisest move, and definitely losing the 3 actions hurts, but we all really needed the resources. It makes sense about the tempo, though, and it's something we'll all definitely get better at. Masonry seems really good, and it was useful. It was difficult to strike the balance between having enough actions / having enough resources to actually do useful things -- something that I'm sure we'll get better at.

Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated. I can see why you all love this game so much!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 28, 2013, 09:41:27 pm »

Ah, yeah, Advanced Game is designed for two ages (mainly the endgame impacts wise) but it'd work fine with 3 ages, I'd say.

Yeah, I don't think I've taken a card for 3CA in age I for a while. 2 CA I often do for the really nice cards and you eventually form an opinion on what those are, the more you play. But spending 3/4s of your turn for one card? That's tough, especially if it causes corruption.

One of the things that's really fun with this game is balancing all the different factors of your civilisation - strength, resources, food, science, CAs, MAs, happiness, culture. Some of them you can make do lacking, but generally you need to develop all 8 if you want to win.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 28, 2013, 10:11:57 pm »
+2

Yeah, we just extended it to 3 ages-- it seemed to work fine. Played with the normal bonuses for the full game. I'd really just recommend jumping to the full game to anyone who was in the same boat, it's not much more than the advanced game.

The opportunity cost of every decision blew my mind in this game -- I've never seen anything like it before in a game.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 29, 2013, 04:28:20 am »

The opportunity cost of every decision blew my mind in this game -- I've never seen anything like it before in a game.

+1. This is why I love this game.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 29, 2013, 06:42:42 am »

Yeah, we just extended it to 3 ages-- it seemed to work fine. Played with the normal bonuses for the full game. I'd really just recommend jumping to the full game to anyone who was in the same boat, it's not much more than the advanced game.

The main issue is time, and because you were able to stop and start again, you somewhat avoided that as an issue.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 29, 2013, 08:54:41 am »
+1

I way overvalued Iron and Irrigation when I first started playing. At first, I was all, "OMG! If I don't get these advances, I'm going to drown in corruption and be unable to do anything!"

I've learned that while they are very useful in maintaining your civilization, they aren't the end-all. It's possible to wait for the Age II advances. The upgrade from Age A to Age II mines/farms is not pleasant, but it's doable, especially if you snag an Efficient Upgrade or two. Having only the basic cards in Age III would be ugly, though. I don't think I've played a game like that. It would be difficult.

Another thing I've learned is how to use yellow cards to manage your action pool. Efficient use of actions: Rich Land, Ideal Building Site, Breakthrough, Frugality. These cards allow you to save resources (note lower case) while advancing your civilization in some way. Inefficient use of actions: Revolutionary Idea, Bountiful Harvest, Mineral Deposits. These cards give you resources, but you need to spend another action to do something with them. That's not to say I won't play them, especially if I have a Republic, but I keep in mind that I need two actions to accomplish my task instead of one.
A man has no signature

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 29, 2013, 01:59:53 pm »

Yeah, that's definitely the mindset I was in - I made grabbing it my first priority, when really I should have held off, and then possibly focused more on military or something else.

The yellow cards seemed really good to me, as well, especially the ones that don't burn up another action, like Kuildeous says.

We probably over-emphasized the importance of civil actions as a group -- there was an emphasis on getting cards such as Code of Laws and Pyramids.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 29, 2013, 04:15:37 pm »

So in a four player game there's two of each in age I and age II... So you really want to be able to grab one of the four without paying too much for it?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 29, 2013, 04:18:56 pm »

There's 3 Iron and Irrigation in a 4 player game. I think Alchemy is the most important Age I tech though.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:21:22 pm by Watno »

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 29, 2013, 04:20:25 pm »

Ah, ok, thanks!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 29, 2013, 08:34:03 pm »

I really just cannot click the right things on the online site!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 30, 2013, 12:29:05 pm »

It's been a while but I think it's time.

F.DStrategy n+1 created.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 30, 2013, 01:03:03 pm »

I believe n is 35.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 30, 2013, 01:56:15 pm »

Nooooo it's gone!
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 30, 2013, 03:10:40 pm »

I believe n is 35.

Dude, you're in 35 right now.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 30, 2013, 03:30:07 pm »

That's why the next is 35+1, I assume.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 30, 2013, 06:23:19 pm »

I believe n is 35.

Dude, you're in 35 right now.

That's why the next is 35+1, I assume.

Ahh, the number of jokes this opens me up to make about Kirian and basic maths...

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 30, 2013, 06:34:00 pm »
+4

Kirianic induction: if A(n) is true, then A(n) is as well.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 30, 2013, 07:02:43 pm »
+2

The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:20 pm »

You owe me one coffee; therefore you owe me one coffee.
A man has no signature

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 05, 2013, 03:27:22 pm »

TTA has made all of my other games pale in comparison :( Just played another game yesterday, and now all I want to play is TTA and none of my other games.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 05, 2013, 05:34:13 pm »

TTA has made all of my other games pale in comparison :( Just played another game yesterday, and now all I want to play is TTA and none of my other games.

I had that problem for a while. I've learnt to get over it because it was annoying other people :P.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 05, 2013, 05:36:03 pm »

same thing happened to me at one point for dominant species. then I didn't play it for a while and it went away :P

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 06, 2013, 12:36:29 am »

Yeah my roommates don't feel like setting aside an entire evening as much as I do. I'm sure it'll pass after I get another game or two in.

Liopiol how intensive is dominant species? I've been wanting to try that one too

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 06, 2013, 03:26:27 pm »

dominant species is VERY intensive... 3 hours if you play the short version, and I've never played the long version...
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34  All

Page created in 1.896 seconds with 21 queries.