Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Thoughts on Counting House  (Read 7738 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Counting House
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:01:21 am »
+1

It may as well just be taken as fact that Counting House is the "worst" card at $5.  This doesn't make it a bad card, but it leaves it ignored in the kingdom most of the time.  But because of what it does, it sits at an awkward spot in the cost continuum.  Having a card yank Coppers out of your discard is a pretty cool effect, and can often be pretty useful.  But because you start off with seven Coppers, Counting House has the potential to be worth more than double a Gold.  So it has to be on the expensive side - you can't be able to pick it up en masse, and probably not on your first two turns.  But since Counting House can also do absolutely nothing, such as immediately after a reshuffle, it can't be too expensive.  Really, by rights, Counting House should cost somewhere between $4.5 and $5.  But of course we can't have fractional costs.

So what could have been done to make it better?  +Buy?  Due to the best case scenario, that would have to shove it up to $6 in all likelihood, making it actually worse.  What about an optional deck discard?  Well, now you're just making the best case scenario happen EVERY TIME YOU PLAY IT.  If I opened 5/2 with THAT Counting House, I would open Copper/It, and just start buying Provinces.  Add King's Court and Scheme and you've automatically won.

Both Counting House and Chancellor have made me realize that a lot of the cards exist simply because there should be a card for their effect.  They aren't there to be good or bad - they're there because they allow you to perform a certain Action.  Not all cards can be Jack of all Trades or Count.  So some cards exist simply for a narrow function that you may want to Marin into a strategy.  And Counting House and Chancellor can both be useful (though I'd value the former more than the latter), most notably with each other.

That's all I got.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Counting House
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:06:40 am »

Add King's Court and Scheme and you've automatically won.

This is true for every action ever, I think.

And Counting House and Chancellor can both be useful (though I'd value the former more than the latter),

Man, I think Chancellor is underrated. Really, any board where you're likely to have the action to play it, Chancellor is worth a slot over Silver, and the risk of occasionally not being able to play it is outweighed by the potential reward. Who doesn't like getting to play their best cards more often? Sure, there are plenty of boards where Silver is way better than Chancellor, too, but to me that just says that Chancellor is costed correctly at $3.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 10:12:18 am »

I just feel bad for Donald's wife, who suggested it.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 10:32:32 am »
+1

I just feel bad for Donald's wife, who suggested it.

It's not a bad card - it's just that the swinginess makes it hard to price.  Maybe if it were upgraded into or something?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 10:54:31 am »
+2

So what could have been done to make it better?

Nomad's Camp's topdeck-when-buy would make it quite a situational endgame pet trick, competing with Duchy at the price tag.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:56:05 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

unlinked

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 11:05:09 am »

Worker's Village - Scavenger - any cantrip - Counting House.

It's a fringe example but guaranteed to get you $9 and a extra buy.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:09:56 am by unlinked »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 11:14:59 am »

Worker's Village - Scavenger - any cantrip - Counting House.

It's a fringe example but guaranteed to get you $9 and a extra buy.

This works even now, doesn't it.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 11:28:34 am »
+2

Counting House $5
Choose your draw or your discard pile. Look through this pile, reveal any number of Copper cards from it, and put them into your hand.
If you have chosen your draw pile, shuffle it.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 11:41:05 am »

Counting House $5
Choose your draw or your discard pile. Look through this pile, reveal any number of Copper cards from it, and put them into your hand.

That would be a guaranteed terminal Gold, which I'd say is a bit steep. Plus possible filtering/cycling.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 11:47:33 am »

Counting House $5

That would be a guaranteed terminal Gold, which I'd say is a bit steep. Plus possible filtering/cycling.

Merchant Ship is basically a terminal $4. And this means that you can't trash any coppers. Now try to get a CH in your hand reliably.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 11:51:58 am »

I wouldn't say the card is bad, just that it's uninteresting more often than other cards at competitive price points.

If there were a lot more cards that fiddled with the discard in some way, it would be better.
Kind of like how Watchtower (already a pretty decent card, granted) got a boost after Dark Ages came out.

Counting House just doesn't have a lot partners in crime.

I think you can compare it to a terminal Gold more often than not.
And my response to the very basic terminal Gold was: It's not whether it should cost $6, $5 or even $4 or $7, it was just that I didn't find the card that interesting. Same goes for Harvest, those cards never seem to be high on my priority shopping list.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 11:53:27 am »
+1

Counting House $5

Not quite, if you have >=3 coppers in hand it's a terminal Silver. But personally I'd take the deck option pretty often, because man, removing all the coppers from your deck? That sounds good.

Actually, an effect like that sounds really interesting. BRB going to variants.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 12:02:38 pm »
+1

One of the better suggestions I've heard brought up is an option to shuffle CH into your deck during clean-up if you play it and didn't pull at least X amount of Coppers.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 12:12:47 pm »
+1

I like Counting House fine as is, but if I had to 'fix' it, I'd allow you to either pull all the Copper from your discard pile or gain 2 Coppers in hand.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:25:24 pm by LastFootnote »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 12:25:50 pm »

Same goes for Harvest, those cards never seem to be high on my priority shopping list.

I played a fun game yesterday where Harvest was very important. Also, I opened Village.

It was a Colony Game with Minion, and Moneylender and Trading Post were the only trashing. Minion/Village/Moneylender/Harvest/Horse Traders carried the day.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 12:35:27 pm »
+4

Why do people complain about Counting House? They can't all be the best card ever. There are enough boards where Counting House is good that there is really no need to "fix" it.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 12:53:47 pm »

How would you guys feel about Counting House giving +1 Action?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 01:00:30 pm »
+1

How would you guys feel about Counting House giving +1 Action?

But... it would chain with itself too much! :P
I think that's probably actually fine. I'd need to see what happens, though.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 01:40:44 pm »
+3

I actually think it isn't a slam dunk as the worst $5 card.

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 02:26:09 pm »

Really, by rights, Counting House should cost somewhere between $4.5 and $5.  But of course we can't have fractional costs.
What if it cost less, but had a restriction like Grand Market or an on-buy effect like Mint? I mean "like" those cards in the general sense, but their specific stipulations might work since they conflict with the normal Counting House effect.

Now I'm intrigued: Would a $3 Mint-trashing Counting House be a strong opening, or a stupid one?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 02:31:13 pm »
+1

At least it's not Scout

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 02:59:15 pm »

I feel that Apothecary is pretty a "fixed" Counting House.  It's still a bit swingy, but its power is tied more to your deck's Copper density and less to where you happen to be in your shuffle when you draw it.  This means you have to play it a bit blind, but that's part of why it has the +1 action.  It doesn't have as high a potential, but it has the advantage of getting Copper out of your future hand, and even if you don't get any Copper, at least you get to do a bit of rearrangement of cards which can be extremely useful sometimes.

Oh, and then there's all that Potion baggage attached.  This prevents you from opening Apothecary without imposing a steep $5 price.  Plus Apothecary helps to prevent the Potion from being a dead card by drawing as it does Copper.
Well you *do* need a signature...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 03:10:36 pm »
+2

I feel that Apothecary is pretty a "fixed" Counting House.  It's still a bit swingy, but its power is tied more to your deck's Copper density and less to where you happen to be in your shuffle when you draw it.  This means you have to play it a bit blind, but that's part of why it has the +1 action.  It doesn't have as high a potential, but it has the advantage of getting Copper out of your future hand, and even if you don't get any Copper, at least you get to do a bit of rearrangement of cards which can be extremely useful sometimes.

Oh, and then there's all that Potion baggage attached.  This prevents you from opening Apothecary without imposing a steep $5 price.  Plus Apothecary helps to prevent the Potion from being a dead card by drawing as it does Copper.

At $2P, Apothecary costs $4.5 anyway.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 11:27:20 pm »

I played a game recently with... Warehouse?  Cellar? one of those, Counting House, Colony/Platinum, no big attacks, and the closest thing to a power engine card was Stables, which is great at discarding Coppers.  It was a freakishly good board for the card.

CH probably is, sadly, the worst $5*, but I'm not sure there's a good buff for it.  I used to think a +Buy would be good, but then you might run the risk of making it too easy to build a weird Herbalist/PStone-style strategy around: just buy nothing but Counting Houses, Coppers, and Provinces.  Maybe that risk is overblown, I don't know.  And letting you top-deck it or reshuffle seems okay until you realize that basically ensures a best-case scenario for CH every reshuffle.

* I still really don't know Dark Ages, so caveat.  Not because I'm "boycotting" Goko, just because I need to set hard limits on the amount of time and money I spend on this game, and forbidding myself from Goko is the best way to do that.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 11:34:46 pm »

I think the thing to recognize is that okay, Counting House sucks like 80% of the time.  All cards (yes, really, all of them -- try me!) suck sometimes, it just happens that Counting House has a larger set of boards for which it sucks.  That doesn't inherently make it a terrible card; it just means you have to recognize the situations where having it DOES make sense, and go from there.  I wouldn't change it for the world.

But if you made me change it, I'd probably give it some limited Cellar-like ability; if you actually have Copper in hand it's effectively + Card.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:36:12 pm by DWetzel »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.