Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What are some cool tricks with Stash?  (Read 1731 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
What are some cool tricks with Stash?
« on: December 12, 2012, 10:15:25 pm »

So the Chancellor trick is classic, and Scavenger is a bit similar.

I usually just top deck my Stashes otherwise.  If a reshuffle occurs mid-turn, I may arrange them slightly differently based on knowing what's in my hand.

But other than that, what are some cool tricks?  One I just thought of is, trash all of your treasure aside from 6 Venture and 1 Stash.  Always put your Stash on the bottom, and then each time you get a Venture it will play every treasure in your deck and and discard the rest of it.

Any other reasons to stick Stash on the bottom?  Maybe some sort of trick with Pearl Diver?  This won't include Pearl Diver, but I suppose you might put them on the bottom to help you trigger an engine which draws your whole deck, including the Stash payload at the bottom.
Well you *do* need a signature...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: What are some cool tricks with Stash?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:25:45 pm »

From a solitaire game (basically, your last sentence):

EXCEPT that it helps for expand, which leads me to thinking that BV-Lab-expand-based play may be best here.

Oh, you and your wonderful ideas: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/29/game-20121129-185909-9446cf26.html

The funny thing here is that Stash is actually helpful as an Expand route to Provinces because you can just put them at the bottom of your deck after every reshuffle.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:54:09 pm »
+6

Other stash tricks (most of these are minimally useful at best):
1. Wishing Well/Mystic: Would you believe it, but I guess right almost 100% of the time if there is a stash there or not. Likewise Stash let's you better control yields from Ironmonger.
2. Hunting Party: Bottom deck a Stash. Copper, Silver, Gold, and Stash make a nice province and you can rest assured that you will never end up with a draw deck bereft of Hunting Parties.
3. Rebuild: Name province, toss your deck, shuffle up a new province next turn. This plays like Chancellor/Stash (just more slowly and you can't pound out duchies freely, maybe something like Monument/Rebuild would work here).
4. Inn: Buy an Inn, get a province next turn; card gainers like Remodel or University can let you place stashes just after you use up your draw for this turn.
5. Scrying pool: Bottom deck the Stashes so you can efficiently draw your deck and get the money to buy a province.
6. Adventurer with only stashes will work like a higher priced, less effective Chancellor. Buy a province with 4 stashes, play an adventurer, find at most one other treasure, shuffle the deck so you have stashes on bottom, discard deck, play 2 treasures. Draw hand of 2 or 3 stashes, shuffle deck and top deck other stashes.
7. Bottom deck Stashes in a Wandering Minstrel engine - this way the minstrel discards your green and you can draw just to the last useful treasure.
8. Stash at bottom works well for a lot of "draw your entire deck" setups. For instance, outpost turns get better if you have 4 Stashes at deck bottom no interfering with your combo chances in a 4 card hand.
9. A number of big cycling cards (like Catacombs, Envoy, Embassy, Storeroom, etc.) can make it quicker to hit reshuffle and setup provinces.
10. And of course, the slowest Chancellor replacement - Golem. Golems + 1 non-Golem action and Stashes give you a deck reset every Golem play. Scheme is obviously the best candidate here as you can top deck a Golem every turn and nab a province each turn. Golem/Stash can actually be used to pound out colonies with things like Golem/Herbalist, Mandarin, Courtyard, Count, etc. - top deck a gold & then add 4 stashes when you shuffle. Golem/Haven works best here, you can just haven copper and then hit the colony with 5 stashes on deck top; you can actually run two Havens as long as only one is in deck at any time (as added fun, late game you can swap to provinces by havening back a Golem each turn).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:05:40 pm by jomini »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:33:40 pm »
+1

I had a game where Stash was very useful to combat Pirate Ship. There was no other drawing/milling, and no villages, so I could accurately predict which two cards would get attacked, and make sure those cards weren't Stashes.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 04:33:21 am »

I remember a game where WW used Stashes as a defense to Saboteur.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 04:42:12 am »

I always have fun trying to guess whether my opponent will play something like Ghost Ship, Pirate Ship, Tribute or any other top of deck actions next turn.

With 4 Stashes, you don't have that much wiggle room.

Question: Does Iso show the Stash on top of your opponent's draw pile? Since it has a different back, following the rules to the letter would mean you would be able to see if the top card is a Stash or not. I guess it doesn't like it doesn't show the top card of the discard pile.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 08:20:23 am »
+2

I always have fun trying to guess whether my opponent will play something like Ghost Ship, Pirate Ship, Tribute or any other top of deck actions next turn.

With 4 Stashes, you don't have that much wiggle room.

Question: Does Iso show the Stash on top of your opponent's draw pile? Since it has a different back, following the rules to the letter would mean you would be able to see if the top card is a Stash or not. I guess it doesn't like it doesn't show the top card of the discard pile.
It sure does, iirc.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 08:35:35 am »
+2

Apparently this was already answered in my own topic.

I guess after creating 100 topics or so, dementia starts to set in.  :-\

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.722 seconds with 22 queries.