Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Amulets  (Read 1674 times)

Gandi

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Amulets
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:05:43 am »

Well, my first post and first attempt to creating a Dominion cards.

There are 3 Amulets of each type - all shuffled into one pile of 12 cards.

Amulet of Wisdom (Action - Reaction - Amulet) 3$
+ 1 card
+ 1 action
If that's not the first time you play Amulet of Wisdom this turn: +3 cards
---
You may reveal this card if any player plays an Amulet card. If you're the first-to-left player with Amulet revealed, you gain the played Amulet putting it into your hand and that opponent gains this card.

Amulet of Wealth (Action - Reaction - Amulet) 3$
+ 1 action
+ 1$
If that's not the first time you play Amulet of Wealth this turn: +3$
---
You may reveal this card if any player plays an Amulet card. If you're the first-to-left player with Amulet revealed, you gain the played Amulet putting it into your hand and that opponent gains this card.

Amulet of Renewal (Action - Reaction - Amulet) 3$
+ 1 action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to 1$ more than trashed card
or, if that's not the first time you play Amulet of Renewal this turn: trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to 8$
---

Amulet of Power (Action - Attack - Reaction - Amulet) 3$
+ 1 action
Each other player discards down to 4 cards in his hand.
If that's not the first time you play Amulet of Power this turn: each other player with 4 cards in his hand reveals his hand and discards a card that you choose
---

I guess wording is not perfect here. Especially the "put this card into the opponent's discard." I had no idea how to write that simplier (and yes, I know there can be more than two players in Dominion).

General idea is to steal amulets just to complete the best chain to yourself. If you're the only one who has amulets, then they're pretty powerful. But that can be stopped pretty easily, by opponents, by stealing your amulets while you play them with other amulets to disassemble your chain.

Effect of first-played amulet is pretty week, but if you have two of them in hand, it can beat the game. I wondered, if "gain a card up to 8$" is not to strong, but I don't think so. If you have two amulets of renewal in hand, than you have to trash two of three left cards just to gain province. By playing two amulets of wealth you have +5$ and three cards left with no trashing.

In amulet of wisdom, I wonder, if there should be (at all), +4 cards or +3 cards.

I've just noticed that it's pretty similiar to charms. This idea came to my head weeks ago, totally not inspired by charms.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:30:06 am by Gandi »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: Amulets
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:10:54 am »

Easy things first:

Each other player discards a card from his hand

should probably never appear on a card without an opt-out clause of some sort (like Torturer). Imagine, even if you never use the upgraded form of the card, if the three players before you play one each on their turn. Hooray, two card hands!

Gandi

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:16:51 am »

Easy things first:

Each other player discards a card from his hand

should probably never appear on a card without an opt-out clause of some sort (like Torturer). Imagine, even if you never use the upgraded form of the card, if the three players before you play one each on their turn. Hooray, two card hands!

Didn't notice, that in 4-players turn, player 1 can play 1 amulet of power, than player 2 can steal this amulet and play it with another amulet of power, than player 3 steals both and plays them. And so player 4 has empty hand.

I was thinking about any attack that can get better with each time, you play it. That was the first idea that came to my mind, but I see now, that this needs to be changed.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 12:18:13 pm »

I guess wording is not perfect here. Especially the "put this card into the opponent's discard." I had no idea how to write that simplier (and yes, I know there can be more than two players in Dominion).

Am I missing something or couldn't you simply write "your opponent gains this"?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 02:25:54 pm »

Am I missing something or couldn't you simply write "your opponent gains this"?

Thief makes me think "That opponent gains this card" would work fine.

Gandi

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 07:37:55 am »

I've edited the first post due to your comments.

The main change is in the amulet of power. Now the first part of this attack is pretty weak, becouse discarding a card doesn't do that much. But the second part is discarding another card that you choose down to 3 cards in his hand. And, however not looking too strong, it may do a serious damage to opponent's hand. Especially, that you choose from opponent's hand with 4 cards, so you can either disassemble his chain easily or discard his platinum if he has one.

How do you see those amulets? Do you think that any of them is weaker/stronger than others? Would you buy them if they'd be on the table or maybe just ignore them?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.539 seconds with 20 queries.