Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Resistance V: Avalon - Game Over, Spies win 0-3  (Read 19589 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
Resistance V: Avalon - Game Over, Spies win 0-3
« on: November 10, 2012, 06:22:39 pm »

Based on the new Resistance: Avalon game, this Resistance will feature a new twist in the form of the Merlin role. Merlin has to be extremely careful, lest the forces of evil discover and kill him, dooming the kingdom to darkness...

If you've played before, look for the notes in bold to see what's changed. Or if you're too lazy, as a short summary:
Resistance and spies are rethemed.
Merlin knows evil, must not be discovered
No Plot Thickens (it's not incompatible, but... the theme is off and I can't be bothered to rename everything). Slight deadline change to fit.
If players are up for it, we might throw in a different official variant. See next post. No further variants used.

Rules of Resistance: Avalon

Resistance: Avalon is a mafia-like game of social deduction. There are two teams - one consisting of a number of Empire Spies Minions of Mordred (between 2-4 depending on number of players), each of whom knows all the other minions - and one team of Resistance members Loyal Servants of Arthur, who know nothing but the fact that they themselves are loyal. The loyal servants are trying to thwart evil by conducting three successful quests - each requiring the full co-operation of everyone on the team. The minions, on the other hand, want to sabotage said quests - if they can sabotage three quests, then the force of good is destroyed, and evil takes over the land.

But wait! Merlin is helping the loyal servants of Arthur out, but he knows if he's discovered and killed, Mordred himself will be unopposed and surely destroy the land. Merlin is a special role one player on the loyal servant's team will receive. He will also know who all of the minions are. But he must be careful. If the loyal servants pass three quests, the minions will make one final attempt to destroy good by assassinating one player. If Merlin is assassinated, the evil team wins. One minion is also the assassin. He has the final call in who the minions assassinate at game's end.

At the start of the game, the leader is randomly chosen, as well as the succession of the leader. The leader's job is to choose a team of between 2-5 operatives (depending on number of players and quest number), to attempt the next quest. After the leader proposes his team, everyone (including himself) gets to vote yes or no to that proposal. If a majority say yes, the quest goes ahead with that team. Otherwise, leadership passes to the next person in the succession (this goes in a circle - the last person passes leadership to the first person). Voting is done simultaneously - to simulate that here, all votes will be sent via PM to the mod (that's me!).

Be warned: if 5 proposals fail in a row, for any reasons (plot cards can affect this, if they are being used), then the forces of evil advance too far against the chaotic, poorly lead forces of good, and the Minions of Mordred win.

If the proposal passes, then each person on the quest can choose to sabotage or support the quest. Minions have free choice in this, and while they need to sabotage to win they might support as a strategic move. Loyal servants MUST support the quest. After everyone has chosen, the results are revealed. In real life, this would be done with cards which are then shuffled and revealed. Here, I only need the spies decisions, all done via PM.

If a quest has even a single sabotage, it fails and the minions get a point. If a quest has nothing but successes, however, it passes, and the loyal servants gets a point. Regardless of if a quest passes or fails, leadership moves on to the next person. Whichever team reaches three points first wins.

Deadlines

For every proposal, the leader will have a 5 day deadline to propose a team. Missing the team proposal deadline will result in a random team being chosen.

Voting will have a 2 day deadline from the team being proposed. Failure to vote will result in a no vote being cast. Voting will end early once all votes are in and I have seen them all.

Quests will have a 1 day deadline. Only minions need to submit a decision for the quest. They may submit their choice in advance with their vote for the quest. Quests will never end early unless the game will end as a result of the quest - this is to protect the minions right to think in cases they need to make a non-trivial decision (e.g. both are on a quest). In the rare case of a minion missing the submission for a quest they will default to sabotage.

The role PMs in this game look like this:

You are a loyal servant of Arthur

You win if the loyal servants of Arthur succeed on 3 quests and Merlin is not assassinated. You lose if the minions sabotage 3 quests or Merlin is assassinated.

You are Merlin

The three minions are:
W
X
Y

You win if the loyal servants of Arthur succeed on 3 quests and you are not assassinated. You lose if the minions sabotage 3 quests or you are assassinated.

You are a Minion of Mordred OR the Assassin

The three minions are:
W
X
Y

You win if the minions sabotage 3 quests or Merlin is assassinated. You lose if the loyal servants of Arthur succeed on 3 quests and Merlin is not assassinated.

Note: The order of names on the role PMs will be the same as the order of leadership. Only the Assassin knows who the assassin is.

Finally rules. Shamelessly stolen and adapted from Axxle, who stole them from Mafiascum.

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings. This includes Minions!
3. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
4: You may talk at ALL stages of the game. This means during proposals, voting, and quests. There is never a period where communication is banned.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
1. Bold, blue text is reserved for the Mod.
2. No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography, or obscuring text in any way.
3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
5. Please bold and double hashtag ## all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed. This includes all final actions (giving out plot cards, proposing a team, public vote if you have Opinion Maker).
6. Prods of missing players will be issued automatically after 72 hours of no activity or upon request after 48 hours of no activity. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
7. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity.
8. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:03:10 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: Resistance V: Avalon
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:22:59 pm »

With 7 players, there are 4 Minions of Mordred and 4 Loyal Servants of Arthur. One Minion is the Assassin, one Loyal Servant is Merlin.
Quest 1: 2 people - FAILED
Quest 2: 3 people - FAILED

Quest 3: 3 people
Quest 4: 4* people
Quest 5: 4 people

Quest 4 requires TWO fail cards, or it succeeds.

Leader order:
jotheonah
pingpongsam
bozzball
Insomniac
Robz888
Qvist
AdamH

(The current leader is in bold)

It is quest 3.3. 3 people are on this quest.

Quest 1.1 proposed by jotheonah:
Team Proposed: jotheonah, bozzball
Voting YES: jotheonah, pingpongsam, bozzball
Voting NO: Insomniac, Robz888, Qvist, AdamH
Result: Yes - 3, No - 4
Proposal Fails

Quest 1.2 proposed by pingpongsam:
Team Proposed: Insomniac, Robz888
Voting YES: pingpongsam, Insomniac, Robz888
Voting NO: jotheonah, bozzball, Qvist, AdamH
Proposal Fails

Quest 1.3 proposed by bozzball:
Team Proposed: bozzball, Insomniac
Voting YES: pingpongsam, bozzball, Insomniac, Robz888, Qvist
Voting NO: jotheonah, AdamH
Result: Yes - 5, No - 2
Proposal passes

Quest 1 Results
Team: bozzball, Insomniac
Co-operating: 1
Sabotage: 1
Quest fails. Score is now Loyal Servants - 0, Minions of Modred - 1

---

Quest 2.1 proposed by Insomniac:
Team Proposed: jotheonah, Insomniac, AdamH
Voting YES: pingpongsam, Insomniac, AdamH
Voting NO: jotheonah, bozzball, Robz888, Qvist
Proposal Fails

Quest 2.2 proposed by Robz888:
Team Proposed: jotheonah, Robz888, Qvist
Voting YES: jotheonah, pingpongsam, bozzball, Insomniac, Robz888, Qvist
Voting NO: AdamH
Result: Yes - 6, No - 1
Proposal passes

Quest 2 Results
Co-operating: 2
Sabotage: 1
Quest fails. Score is now Loyal Servants - 0, Minions of Modred - 2

---

Quest 3.1 proposed by Qvist:
Team Proposed: jotheonah, Qvist, AdamH
Voting YES: jotheonah, pingpongsam, Qvist
Voting NO: bozzball, Insomniac, Robz888, AdamH
Proposal Fails

Quest 3.2 proposed by AdamH:
Team Proposed: jotheonah, bozzball, AdamH
Voting YES: jotheonah, pingpongsam, bozzball
Voting NO: Insomniac, Robz888, Qvist, AdamH
Proposal Fails
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:50:27 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 06:25:53 pm »

/in

... now reading the changes.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:50:46 pm »

Posted up the possible variants.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 08:52:06 pm »

In.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 11:15:20 am »

Wouldn't mind giving this a shot if nobody minds.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 05:38:56 pm »

Bumping this up. Also anyone currently in got choices for the other variants, including none?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 05:43:40 pm »

I've only ever played with your "Merlin" or "Excalibur" variants before. They are both OK, though the group I played with IRL found they work best in a 6-player game. I'd be apprehensive about playing with any of the other variants, but I don't feel strongly about it. Just my thoughts.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »

It looks like there isn't, or won't be, sufficient interest for this, so I'm probably cancelling unless I get a sudden rush of signups.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 04:25:01 pm »

bump
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 04:26:38 pm »

Ya know, I was thinking maybe the reason there isn't as much interest in this particular version of Resistance is the emphasis on variants. Do you think a vanilla Resistance would be more popular?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 04:55:09 pm »

Well, perhaps. Merlin was the only real one I was sticking to, because it's interesting. Everything else is just, the options in the box, people can say yes or no.

Vanilla might be more popular. Maybe.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:56:55 pm »

Well, perhaps. Merlin was the only real one I was sticking to, because it's interesting. Everything else is just, the options in the box, people can say yes or no.

Vanilla might be more popular. Maybe.

I'm interested in playing Vanilla Avalon, like with Merlin but nothing else. (I don't feel strongly about the others and would play the others if people wanted them)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 05:47:10 pm »

Yeah, I figured most people would. The problem is only 4 people have actually expressed interest in playing. And we need 5 minimum, and 6 is much better.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 05:48:52 pm »

Yeah, I figured most people would. The problem is only 4 people have actually expressed interest in playing. And we need 5 minimum, and 6 is much better.

I think the 7 games have been pretty alright. I know for a fact alot of people don't actually follow this forum that play games and have only tagged mafia queue so maybe post about it there to see if those people want to play (eHalcyon is an example)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 08:38:58 pm »

Fine.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 09:45:41 pm »

In
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 10:24:54 pm »

\o/

That's 5, so that's enough to start. But I'll give just a little longer, because I'd really like 6+.

I won't use any variants except Merlin.

bozzball

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 06:10:41 am »

in

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 09:00:18 am »

whoa. long time no see, dude.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 09:02:42 am »

I'll start this evening GMT, giving a few more hours for people to sign up.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »

Getting the game prepared now. Signups are officially closed.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 06:50:32 pm »

Role PMs have been sent out. Once everyone has confirmed, the game is ready to go.
Note: Small notation change, missions are now called quests.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 09:04:52 pm »

Confirmed
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 03:59:58 am »

With 6 players, there are 2 Minions of Mordred and 4 Loyal Servants of Arthur. One Minion is the Assassin, one Loyal Servant is Merlin.
Quest 1: 2 people
Quest 2: 3 people
Quest 3: 4 people
Quest 4: 3 people
Quest 5: 4 people

Leader order:
bozzball
Qvist
AdamH
Insomniac
Robz888
pingpongsam

bozzball, you are the first leader. Please propose a mission with 2 people on it.
The game has now begun
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Page created in 2.139 seconds with 19 queries.