Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16  All

Author Topic: Pandemic I (Finished, Players win)  (Read 39767 times)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Pandemic I (Game has started, Jimmmmm's move)
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 03:27:19 pm »

Ok, I should have made it more clear. Ignore the purple cubes. This is from the expansion "On the brink". I don't know how to remove this from the board in VASSAL.

And we're playing in Standard mode = 5 Epidemic cards. This makes 4 colors * 12 cities + 5 Special Event cards + 5 Epidemic cards - 8 cards already dealt out = 50 cards. So this is correct.

And there will be a total of 6 research stations available, correct?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 03:54:50 pm »

Correct, there 6 Research Stations, with one already being in Atlanta, 5 are still in the supply.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 04:10:30 pm »

In terms of strategy, here's what I'm thinking:

Clearly the most important thing always is to deal with the critical cities (those that have 3 cubes on them). To that end, I could spend my first turn taking one cube from Chicago and one from Mexico City. We could wait for shraeye's turn to do that and take all the cubes at once, but that opens us up to outbreaks if we get an epidemic before then.

If I end up in Mexico City, SFS could come over by either driving or direct flight, and share Sydney with me. That will give me 2/4 reds, and with a bit of luck I could draw another one or two at the end of my turn. If SFS draws one or two I can take them off him on my next turn.

Schneau could then drive to Toronto and fly over to Joburg and take a cube from there, then set up a station next turn.

That doesn't leave much for shraeye to do, maybe just clean up after me? Things could be quite different by then I suppose.

What do you guys think? Should I just go ahead and have my turn?
I like your idea. If I've understood, you'd drive to Chicago, remove a cube, drive to Mex. City, remove a cube. That's four actions.  Once my turn starts, I would Fly Direct to Mex. City, remove two cubes (leaving zero in Mex. City), and use my final action to share Sydney with you, which I can do without being in Sydney, as I am the researcher.  I feel that removing the 2nd cube in Mex. City is more valuable than removing 2nd cube in Chicago, since Atlanta is just one action away from Chicago for subsequent players, though it would allow me to save, rather than use, a Yellow card (Mex. City).  How important is saving a card?

Yes, that's what I had planned for my move. I personally think it would be fine for you to drive - totally clearing Mex. City isn't that high of a priority, and if you drive then you can Charter Flight from there to anywhere in your next turn.

Also, I have a suggestion.  For the first few turns, it may help in cementing the game's mechanics to provide a high level of specificity (type of flight, special ability, cards being discarding, etc.) in discussing our potential moves.  As an example, in reviewing your suggestion for Schneau's move, I couldn't immediately figure out how he'd get to Jo'berg.  Such an approach would also assist us in previewing turns for viability.

Yes, good idea, I will be more specific.

Schneau would not treat any disease, right? 2 drives, one fly, setup research station - that's four actions.  Shraeye could possibly treat in Chicago and Toronto.  If he does, then at that point we would have gotten rid of a fair amount of blue and yellow in one round, with an inroad to more yellow on round 2, with Schneau in Jo'berg.

Yes, Schneau would spend 3 actions getting there, and would spend his last action either removing a cube, or setting up a research station. I suggest that if he builds a station then Shraeye should fly over (from station to station) and remove all the cubes from Jo'burg using the Medic ability. It will be a long time until Schneau's second turn, and I think the chances of getting an epidemic before then is quite high, which will mean it could outbreak.

What generalizations are true of the game (e.g. it's good to have a research station on every continent; larger hand sizes are more important in late game than in mid-game; transportation generally becomes the limiting factor in late-game; etc)?

Well usually the most important thing is to deal with is the critical cities. I think that there's a bigger difference between 2 and 3 cubes than there is between 0 and 2 cubes. Removing all the cubes is nice, but it's just not the priority. Of course, you need to be working on the cures at the same time. What else? Working on a cure can really slow you down, because you'll find yourself wanting to use the cards you need to save, and there's really not much room for other cards. Using cards for something other than cures should be done fairly sparingly if possible.

Anyway, I've only played a half dozen times or so, so I'm definitely no expert.

And there will be a total of 6 research stations available, correct?

That's correct, but if we run out we can take a pre-existing one and build it somewhere else, so there's no reason for the Operations Expert not to put one down if he has absolutely nothing else to do. When I've played, we haven't used more than 4 or 5 anyway.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 04:14:03 pm »

Okay, I think it's time to get this game underway.

Drive to Chicago
Treat disease
Drive to Mexico City
Treat disease

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 04:24:27 pm »

Rules clarification: Sharing knowledge can go either way. So if we're both in eg Atlanta, one of us can pass Atlanta to the other on either one of our turns, costing the player whose turn it is an action.

So for this game, another thing SFS could do is simply copy my move and then I can take Sydney and any other Red SFS has drawn on my turn (the Researcher ability applies to cards being passed from the Researcher to another player, regardless of whose turn).

Qvist: Do we need explicit permission to take other players' cards in this way?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 04:26:37 pm »

I'm going to wait until Qvist plays the infector role and you draw your cards before actually making my move.
Posting begets posting.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 04:29:33 pm »

Yes, I think we should always do that. An epidemic always changes things.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Re: Pandemic I (Sign-ups open, Newbies-friendly)
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 04:34:45 pm »

Jimmmmm Scientist (white) draws Washington, New York.

Infector: Cairo, Riyadh

SwitchedFromStarcraft's next.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 04:36:45 pm »

Qvist: Do we need explicit permission to take other players' cards in this way?

With this being fully cooperative I don't think this is necessary.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Pandemic I (Game has started, SwitchedFromStarcraft's move)
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 04:40:12 pm »

Well that changes things a little bit - I'm now only one away from the blue cure. Here's an idea: If Schneau drives to Toronto and builds there, I can get the blue cure next turn. Of course, that means we have no one in Jo'burg; maybe SFS drives to MC, takes a charter flight there and removes one cube?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 04:41:23 pm »

Also, Qvist, would you mind adding the player information below the map as with the other one?

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 04:44:58 pm »

I thought it would be better to keep the game state in post #2 and only the changes in the new post. But I'll do how you like.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 05:18:34 pm »

To start, good luck and have fun!

I like either of the two options for me, either: (1) Go to Toronto, build a research station and clear a cube, with the idea of curing blue on Jimmmmm's turn; or (2) Go to Toronto, fly to Johannesburg, and either build a station or clear a cube.

One thing to note is that Jo'burg only neighbors 2 cities. So, even if there is an outbreak there, it isn't the worst place to have one. Cities with more neighbors tend to be worse for outbreaks, since they put more cubes on the board. Plus, neither Kinshasa nor Khartoum have any cubes yet, so there's very lo risk of chained outbreaks there.

Things may change depending on what happens during SFS's turn, but I think I'm most in favor of curing blue fast if we can. So, I'm not sure what SFS's best move is. We don't have a dispatcher, which will make coordinating movements much more difficult. Since SFS is Researcher, he should probably hold his cards and not use them for flights, so that he can later give cards easily to others. Two options would be to treat some cubes near Atlanta (like in Chicago or Toronto) or to start spreading out for better map coverage. I think my favorite right now would be for him to move to Chicago, clear both cubes, and move to Toronto. That way, if both Jimmmmm and I end up there next turn, he can easily give us cards while in Toronto during either our turns or his.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 08:44:18 pm »

To start, good luck and have fun!

I like either of the two options for me, either: (1) Go to Toronto, build a research station and clear a cube, with the idea of curing blue on Jimmmmm's turn; or (2) Go to Toronto, fly to Johannesburg, and either build a station or clear a cube.

One thing to note is that Jo'burg only neighbors 2 cities. So, even if there is an outbreak there, it isn't the worst place to have one. Cities with more neighbors tend to be worse for outbreaks, since they put more cubes on the board. Plus, neither Kinshasa nor Khartoum have any cubes yet, so there's very lo risk of chained outbreaks there.

Things may change depending on what happens during SFS's turn, but I think I'm most in favor of curing blue fast if we can. So, I'm not sure what SFS's best move is. We don't have a dispatcher, which will make coordinating movements much more difficult. Since SFS is Researcher, he should probably hold his cards and not use them for flights, so that he can later give cards easily to others. Two options would be to treat some cubes near Atlanta (like in Chicago or Toronto) or to start spreading out for better map coverage. I think my favorite right now would be for him to move to Chicago, clear both cubes, and move to Toronto. That way, if both Jimmmmm and I end up there next turn, he can easily give us cards while in Toronto during either our turns or his.
The notion of me holding on to cards (so that I might pass them) is a good one I think, and is also illustrative of the general strategic guidance I would appreciate having lots of as the game moves forward. Let's not forget though, that I can only pass one card to one player per turn (specifically, I can pass any card, but I can only pass a card when receiving the card that represents the city we are standing in at the time).

I like the idea now of driving to Chicago and Toronto, especially given that I might draw a blue card at the end of my turn, while standing in Toronto.

The Bogata - Lima - M. City triangle has me a little worried.  Any thoughts before I move to Chicago and Toronto?  Jim is online, Schneau is not.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:48:10 pm by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2012, 08:47:37 pm »

Qvist - I think the player's card holdings at the bottom of the map is going to be crucial, and I know that is extra work.  Would a compromise be to only update post #2 after every turn, and not reproduce the map anywhere else in the thread?  Is there a reason NOT to do it this way, that I've not thought of?
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2012, 09:17:51 pm »

I guess I'm a little confused about the Share Knowledge thing, and my confusion is generated by the phrase "involved in a share knowledge transaction" in the ruleset.  I understand my special ability as researcher - I can, by spending an action on my turn, give any card to any player standing in the same city with me, with no further restrictions. I further understand, from the rules, that the only card I will ever receive from someone will be the card for the city we are standing in together, because everyone except the researcher can only pass the card for the city they are in together.  I further understand that should I ever receive a card, it will by definition occur on someone else's turn.

Now, here's my question, and I guess it relates to what constitutes a "transaction":

Say it's Jim's turn, and he spends an action to give me the card for the city we are standing in.  Can I then (as part of a "transaction") give him a card (specifically, any card I choose), as part of that "transaction"?  If so, that would allow me to pass him a total of 5 cards over the course of his turn and mine (one in exchange for his during his turn, and 4 more on my turn, at the rate of one card passed per action spent).

I'm probably going to wait until tomorrow to move, pending the answer to this.  With M. City in my hand, giving it to Jim while he is in M. City will allow him to charter a flight anywhere he wants (including Toronto) on his next turn, when we know what new cards (maybe blue cards) have been drawn by the players behind him.  If I draw blue, it may or may not be worth him hanging out in M. city, but at least the card that allows him to travel would be in his hand.  If it for some reason is not useful at that point, he could pass it back to me (we would be standing in M. City together) and potentially get another card for it.  Lots of options here.
Posting begets posting.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2012, 10:27:39 pm »

I guess I'm a little confused about the Share Knowledge thing, and my confusion is generated by the phrase "involved in a share knowledge transaction" in the ruleset.  I understand my special ability as researcher - I can, by spending an action on my turn, give any card to any player standing in the same city with me, with no further restrictions. I further understand, from the rules, that the only card I will ever receive from someone will be the card for the city we are standing in together, because everyone except the researcher can only pass the card for the city they are in together.  I further understand that should I ever receive a card, it will by definition occur on someone else's turn.

Now, here's my question, and I guess it relates to what constitutes a "transaction":

Say it's Jim's turn, and he spends an action to give me the card for the city we are standing in.  Can I then (as part of a "transaction") give him a card (specifically, any card I choose), as part of that "transaction"?  If so, that would allow me to pass him a total of 5 cards over the course of his turn and mine (one in exchange for his during his turn, and 4 more on my turn, at the rate of one card passed per action spent).

I'm probably going to wait until tomorrow to move, pending the answer to this.  With M. City in my hand, giving it to Jim while he is in M. City will allow him to charter a flight anywhere he wants (including Toronto) on his next turn, when we know what new cards (maybe blue cards) have been drawn by the players behind him.  If I draw blue, it may or may not be worth him hanging out in M. city, but at least the card that allows him to travel would be in his hand.  If it for some reason is not useful at that point, he could pass it back to me (we would be standing in M. City together) and potentially get another card for it.  Lots of options here.

I had similar confusions about the Share Knowledge action during my first few games. If I have it correct, any player may take the action Share Knowledge by being in the same city as another player and either getting or sending the card with that city's name on it. So, if Jimmmmm and I are in Tokyo on Jimmmmm's turn and he has the card Tokyo, he can give it to me as 1 action. Or, if I have Tokyo, Jimmmmm can use an action for me to give Tokyo to him. Either sending or receiving a card uses 1 action.

As the Researcher, the only thing that changes is that if you are the one giving the card, you don't have to be in the city that's on the card to give it. So, if you and Jimmmmm are in Miami on your turn, you can use an action to give him any of your cards. But, he could only give you Miami, which would also cost you an action to receive. Additionally, on Jimmmmm's turn he can spend an action to receive a card from you - it can be any card. Or, he can spend an action to give you a card, but it has to be Miami. Your ability does not allow you to "trade" cards with someone, where each player would give and receive a card.

To sum up, sharing knowledge involves either giving or receiving a card, not both, and both players have to be in same city that is on the card, unless the person giving the card is the Researcher.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2012, 10:29:39 pm »

The Bogata - Lima - M. City triangle has me a little worried.  Any thoughts before I move to Chicago and Toronto?  Jim is online, Schneau is not.

I am also slightly worried about this, but not enough to not have you go to Chicago and Toronto this turn. Maybe shraeye can go to that area and clean things up quickly as the medic?

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 11:03:35 pm »

ok, I'm totally caught up on the rules and ready for this.

I plan on going to go to clear up Mexico city and possibly deal with that triangle as well my turn.  Getting an early chance to cure blue sounds great, I'll clear up Johannesburg next.  My current plan is to go Chicago, MexCity, treat, Bogota.
then next turn I can treat, SaoPaolo, charter to J-burg, and treat.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 11:08:15 pm »

OK, that explanation helped a great deal, and I like the way you said it.  Every player can spend 1 action to give (or to receive, depending on the direction the card is moving) the card for the city the two players are standing in.  The researcher can spend 1 action to receive the card for the city that he and the giver are standing in, or can use 1 action to give any card to any player.  The researcher may repeat this second part as much as he wants, with the limit being 4 actions per turn, therefore 4 cards per turn.

I'll submit my turn in the morning.
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2012, 11:15:45 pm »

In the morning, do we want me to use option A or B:

A) Drive to Chicago, treat disease, treat disease, drive to Toronto (this leaves none in Chicago, but 2 cubes in Toronto
B) Drive to Chicago, treat disease, drive to Toronto treat disease (this would leave one cube in Chicago, which Schneau could then treat on his way through Chicago, but at the cost of not getting to Bogata, or not treating disease in Mex City.)
Posting begets posting.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2012, 11:30:00 pm »

In the morning, do we want me to use option A or B:

A) Drive to Chicago, treat disease, treat disease, drive to Toronto (this leaves none in Chicago, but 2 cubes in Toronto
B) Drive to Chicago, treat disease, drive to Toronto treat disease (this would leave one cube in Chicago, which Schneau could then treat on his way through Chicago, but at the cost of not getting to Bogata, or not treating disease in Mex City.)
I think you meant shraeye, not schneau :)

Another thought could be Chicago, toronto, treat, treat

I could move chicago, treat, MC, treat and then plan on my next turn to go bogota, saopaolo, charter to J-burg, treat.  This makes maximal use of my medic role, making sure I'm always treating 2+ cubes.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2012, 11:30:22 pm »

OK, that explanation helped a great deal, and I like the way you said it.  Every player can spend 1 action to give (or to receive, depending on the direction the card is moving) the card for the city the two players are standing in.  The researcher can spend 1 action to receive the card for the city that he and the giver are standing in, or can use 1 action to give any card to any player.  The researcher may repeat this second part as much as he wants, with the limit being 4 actions per turn, therefore 4 cards per turn.

I'll submit my turn in the morning.

...who is in the same city as you.

Quote from: Rulebook
Share Knowledge
Transfer a card from one player to another. Every card transferred costs 1 action. Both your pawn and your fellow player's pawn must be in the same city, and you may only transfer the card of the city that you are in together. (For example, if you are together in Moscow, only the Moscow card may be transferred from one player to the other.) If either player holds more than 7 cards as a result of a transfer, the excess cards must be immediately discarded to the Player Discard Pile.

The Researcher may give a fellow player any card from his hand when involved in a Share Knowledge action. He is not restricted to giving the card of the current jointly-occupied city, like other players are. This freedom only applies when the Researcher is giving a card--he always receives a card with the same restriction as other players. The Researcher can utilize this ability when involved in Share Knowledge actions on any player's turn.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 12:01:46 am »

If I'm right about the way the deck is set up, then the first epidemic is in the first 10 cards, the 2nd is in the 2nd 10 and so on. All the cities with 2 cubes can't outbreak until the second epidemic card is drawn, which will be no earlier than the end of SFS's 2nd turn, and by then we'll have the blue cure, so if nothing else, SFS can remove all the cubes in Toronto and Chicago before that happens, with a spare action to pass a card if necessary (at this stage probably Sydney to me).

Jo'burg, on the other hand, has a fairly good chance of outbreaking before shraeye's second turn. It's true that an outbreak there will be much more manageable than one in the Americas, unless of course we're unlucky enough to pull Kinshasa or Khartoum from the bottom of the infection deck, putting 3 cubes there and leaving the card near the top of the infection deck, leaving one double outbreak almost certain, and another triple outbreak fairly likely as well. Of course, worst case shraeye can come along and remove all the cubes from both the outbroken cities in his next turn, but we'd be a lot closer to losing via outbreaks.

So I think the question is: do we prioritise protecting Jo'burg and sent Schneau there, with the added advantage of being able to build there on his next turn, but delaying the blue cure by at least one round, and forcing us to hope that either I or SFS draws a blue card at the end of our next turn; or do we get the blue cure this turn as planned and hope we don't get screwed with Jo'burg?

Actually, there's a third option. SFS could drive to MC and fly to Jo'burg and remove one cube. This allows us to rescue Jo'burg which then can't possibly outbreak until the end of SFS's second turn, and get the blue cure as well, but of course it strands our Researcher on the other side of the world, hoping he draws something which will bring him back somewhere useful, or making him use Sydney to come home.

tl;dr
Choose 2:
1) get the blue cure on my second turn;
2) rescue Jo'burg from a likely outbreak, which will most likely be quite tame, but has a small probability of being disastrous;
3) have our Researcher in a useful location, ready to pass cards as required.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2012, 12:56:24 am »

I like 1 and 3, because it goes a long way towards eliminating 1/4 of the threats (not truly eradicating, which I understand is [Find Cure + Treat all remaining Disease], but it would be a big step).

Questions:

a) If I were to go from Mex. City to Jo'berg and treat 1 cube, how does Sydney enter into the picture (in terms of getting back)?  To go from Jo'berg to Sydney is almost two full turns (though I could treat black in two cities along the way, so I'm likely to be gone for a while (which, with my shuffle luck, would guarantee my drawing blue cards).
b) assuming Schneau ends up in Toronto on this first turn, and Jim then drives to Toronto and takes the Toronto card on his Turn 2 (giving us 4 blue cards and the cure for blue), how do either of you get anywhere quickly on subsequent turns?  The Toronto card would be surrendered, making charter flight out of Toronto impossible.

I think getting Shraeye to Jo'berg, out of Mex. City is the best plan, he's the medic, he'll have maximum effect whether it outbreaks or not, and if it does, he's near all the new cubes.  So here is what I propose for my turn (not in bold yet, so not official):

Share knowledge with Shraeye (Mex. City card - it lets him charter to Jo'berg); drive to Chicago; treat 2 cubes.  Me staying in chicago keeps me one action closer to Jim, in case I draw a blue card - he wouldn't have to go to Toronto, and Schneau's Toronto card could then be used for transportation on his turn, likely to Madrid, which is close to Paris. With any luck, we could not only have found a cure for blue but actually eradicate blue by my Turn 3, where I would slide over to Toronto and treat 2 cubes (assuming Schneau treated none before flying).  It may increase the chance of a problem on the African continent, but we have the best person (medic) headed that way anyway, and we will have shortened his trip.

I really am going to bed now, it's 1:00 am.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:01:32 am by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Posting begets posting.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16  All

Page created in 2.253 seconds with 19 queries.