Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Things We Learned From Dominion  (Read 13163 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Things We Learned From Dominion
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »

http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/comix.php

Can anyone explain the "our interpretation of the missing rules" one?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 04:11:46 pm »

42. People who already have Gold have a much easier time getting more of it. Why? Because the rich get richer, and the poor are Cursed.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 04:19:55 pm »
+1

http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/comix.php

Can anyone explain the "our interpretation of the missing rules" one?

I think it might have something to do with how a lot of people are confused by curses when first introduced to the game, assuming that they must have some purpose when Witch isn't in play and then going "Well you can buy them, but you would never want to" which ultimately leads to projecting some kind of house rule into that confusion like being able to buy curses into other players' decks.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 04:58:05 pm »
+1

I think it might have something to do with how a lot of people are confused by curses when first introduced to the game, assuming that they must have some purpose when Witch isn't in play and then going "Well you can buy them, but you would never want to" which ultimately leads to projecting some kind of house rule into that confusion like being able to buy curses into other players' decks.
Yes, this is it. There were a few people at once saying "oh you must buy Curses into your opponent's deck."

The "silver test" one is specifically mocking baba44713 (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/370572/from-indifference-through-exuberance-to-dissapoint).

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 06:31:55 pm »
+4

Silly baba, the real way to play is with the Scout test: whenever you have 4 coins or more to spend, buy a Scout, or a card better than Scout.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 07:31:12 pm »
+2

The Silver test isn't very useful, but it does reveal one (usually) true Dominion principle: Silvers are almost always better than not having Silvers. Or in other words, don't buy nothing with $3.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 09:36:26 pm »
+6

The Silver test isn't very useful, but it does reveal one (usually) true Dominion principle: Silvers are almost always better than not having Silvers. Or in other words, don't buy nothing with $3.

Darn it! He said "almost!"

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 09:53:03 pm »
+2

This post saved me from making an embarrasing post.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 07:58:03 am »
+2

Silly baba, the real way to play is with the Scout test: whenever you have 4 coins or more to spend, buy a Scout, or a card better than Scout.

Ex: Silver

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 08:44:51 am »
+2

Yes, this is it. There were a few people at once saying "oh you must buy Curses into your opponent's deck."

The "silver test" one is specifically mocking baba44713 (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/370572/from-indifference-through-exuberance-to-dissapoint).
I wonder if this is an accurate portrait of Donald:

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 06:26:03 pm »
+1

In fact, I had redundancy in there, since I said it's usually true that silvers are almost always better than nothing ;).

What I don't really get is why that got 5 respect :P. I mean, really, a comment about be not making a mistake? I should be offended.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 06:33:12 pm »
+1

In fact, I had redundancy in there, since I said it's usually true that silvers are almost always better than nothing ;).

What I don't really get is why that got 5 respect :P. I mean, really, a comment about be not making a mistake? I should be offended.

The comment was funny because he was all set to point out an edge case where it wasn't actually true, but because you said "almost", there was no need to contradict it with an edge case.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 10:25:19 pm »
+1

> Understanding why certain posts on f.DS get respect

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 04:52:50 am »
+3

In theory, well respected posts are ones about good Dominion Strategy.

In practice, it's more about in-jokes and memes and elaborations on the two.

If you compare this to which videos get lots of views on Youtube, you'll probably find a similar relationship, so it's all cool.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 05:48:57 am »
+3

In theory, well respected posts are ones about good Dominion Strategy.

But from the function of the button, it's pretty clear that it acts like it does at the moment.  It's an easy way to show you liked a post without having to post a new one.  That's a pretty good function for jokes or memes, but not a pretty good function for strategy articles.  For this, you actually might to comment, or if not care enough that you write enough to really write a "thank you for this article"-post.

Expecting that the posts that get the +1s are the insightful posts is like expecting that the games where you typed "gg" and quit were the most interesting ones.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 06:52:40 am »

"our interpretation of the missing rule" is simply crazy.
Just imagine, using this rule, market becomes an improved familiar !  :o

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 07:34:57 am »
+1

Worker's Village.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 07:45:54 am »
+1

Worker's Village.

Squire  :o

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 08:21:54 am »
+1

The board usually has the property that, when the opportunity arises, taking Silver is almost always better than taking nothing.
Well you *do* need a signature...

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 02:35:19 pm »

43. With just a simple makeover, your ugly Sea Hags can become a part of your luxurious Harem.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 06:40:08 pm »

43. With just a simple makeover, your ugly Sea Hags can become a part of your luxurious Harem.
I'm pretty sure Makeover isn't an official card, unless you know something about Guilds that I don't (but it's probably about as likely to be the Roxy Music card of Guilds as Renovate).

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 04:24:09 am »

The board usually has the property that, when the opportunity arises, taking Silver is almost always better than taking nothing.
The board usually has the property that it is possible to play a strategy such that, when the opportunity arises, taking Silver is almost always better than taking nothing.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.