Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54  All

Author Topic: DoMafia I: It Depends on the Kingdom: GAME OVER! FLAWLESS TOWN WIN (sort of)!  (Read 114267 times)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: DoMafia I: It Depends on the Kingdom: (Day 4) PM for Spectator QT
« Reply #1300 on: December 14, 2012, 03:31:19 pm »

Archetype knew it too as soon as we started going spy crazy.

The other thing you could do is just not draft... just assign the cards randomly.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 14, 2012, 03:33:47 pm »

by hammering myself, i was attempting to implicate galzria as my partner.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 14, 2012, 03:39:23 pm »

Lol.

Why did you play rats?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 14, 2012, 03:47:44 pm »

It was indeed broken against scum.  Nick played valiantly though, and almost pulled off enough confusion to last one more day.

The main problem was the presence of far too much info.  A d1 mass claim would have done scum in almost immediately.  Since cards are passed, it is easy to piece everything together.  It doesn't benefit scum as much as town because scum cannot lie very well.  Since there are duplicate cards, it is hard for them to even lie about what a card does.  What if there was a second Forge?

Scum dodged one bullet in somehow drafting both Tacticians.  But they couldn't dodge the numerous inspection attacks.  Even though various attacks can change handsize, players can immediately claim that they were forced to discard and work out what happened.

The main solutions I have for fixing the game would be:

1. Don't reveal what cards were played overnight.  Revealing that info destroyed any chance scum had of lying effectively.
2. Let scum draft a fifth card.
3. Fewer duplicates (or at least note when cards are unique).

It was an ambitious setup by Archetype.  It was unfortunate that the setup was breakable, but that happens sometimes.

Even if they drafted 5 cards, then traded one in for their promo, that would still be better.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 14, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »

Lol.

Why did you play rats?

To disguise Possession next night.

Is that why you guys killed pps?  Because he was the only other player who saw Possession during drafting?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: December 14, 2012, 04:12:57 pm »

I'm not sure if I should post the QT links I have.  Archetype hasn't officially posted the flip yet.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: December 14, 2012, 04:13:45 pm »

lol

i totally screwed up my setclaims day 1.

i claimed the sets of the cards in the first hand i got to choose from, not the ones i wound up with.

pps would have caught that immediately.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 14, 2012, 04:14:07 pm »

i played awfully

she/her

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 14, 2012, 04:33:22 pm »

We killed pps because he was playing well, not because of Possession fear. We didn't realize Rats would last forever, that was not the intentional, to mask a future Possession.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 14, 2012, 04:38:18 pm »

yeah, i played Rats because i said i'd play a dark ages card

she/her

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 14, 2012, 04:43:14 pm »

How long did it take you guys to realize that you were screwed?

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: December 14, 2012, 04:43:45 pm »

hahaha

oh god

like my first post

she/her

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: December 14, 2012, 05:18:22 pm »

hahaha

oh god

like my first post

As soon as we saw our hands and they weren't all that good. Then after the D1 NL. Then again after D2 started and we realized...

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 14, 2012, 05:38:38 pm »

I was really worried ever since drafting. I sent Archetype a couple PMs saying "you're sure we shouldn't have our kill modifications be cards?"

Treasure map plan=total troll, but I knew treasure maps were in the game. So glad that came up.

Scum started out with an enormous information advantage, which was nice. We almost worked out the seating chart N1. But there were so many unique cards that we didn't know what other people's stuff would do.

And yeah, I'd say there was basically a 0% chance of a scum win here against a competent town.

I still maintain that the D1 case against me was a terrible case and it's just lucky that you hit scum. :P
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: December 14, 2012, 05:44:15 pm »

I still maintain that the D1 case against me was a terrible case and it's just lucky that you hit scum. :P

I feel the same way about every case that has ever been raised against me.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: December 14, 2012, 05:52:17 pm »

But really though!

By the way, this is the worst case I've ever made against anyone, ever.

Actually we all had a pretty hilarious back-and-forth with this case against me, which led to the discovery of New Age Robz.

DoMafia I: Leave your logic at the door!

Yeah, I'd be pretty angry with me, if I was you.

All ready to lynch Dsell, now?

We could lynch you instead. Would that work?

I'm pretty sure Robz has used up all of his strong, pro-town personas and is now trying on the new-agey Robz costume.

"Pro-town" is just a social construct. You'll see, once we've all been reincarnated into cats.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: December 14, 2012, 07:40:18 pm »

I basically just came here to see if we won. Yeah, we won. Now I go back to sleep.
But I just wanted to know why Volt/Morgrim was IC. Was is posted anywhere yet?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: December 14, 2012, 07:42:04 pm »

I should have lied about what Forge did last night and claimed my 5th card, Nobles, was the redirect. That was what I initially intended to do, but floundered under the pressure and time constraints.

cayvie played Possession N2 which is what caused the TM confusion. I wonder what would have happened had she played it on herself.

Here's your answer qvist.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: December 14, 2012, 09:34:13 pm »

Finally got access to a computer. Sorry for the delay everyone.

First of all, thanks for playing everyone, especially Voltgloss for subbing in for Morgrim.

I agree that it shouldn't be included in the rankings, it was nearly impossible for scum to win. But I'm glad you all had fun. :)

Here's some QT links:

Scum QT: http://quicktopic.com/48/H/mxnhK95zycJTJ

Spec QT: http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/KgbQxhUrja8

Native Village QT: http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/T2FLtkRqUrgb4

and of course,

Mod Notes QT: http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/qHWXbJVdNWNS

Mod Notes has starting hands, ending hands, all the cards in the game, seating order, night actions, plus some commentary from Ehalc and I.

About the game itself:

-I'll admit: I never intended for Spy to be that powerful. It ended up being a dual cop, which wasn't what I was aiming for. Same goes for Tactician.

-Watchtower sucks. I'm sorry whoever got that, I really needed a filler card, and that's an idea I had (although a bad one).

-Treasure Map: This was going to change the game. 2 useless cards (barring Masquerade switches) or 1 IC. I started it at Morgrim because I expected him to pick something crazy like that. Weird how Qvist got it, but it ended up back at Morgrim. I guess it's Morgrim's fate to be an Innocent Child.

-General Mistakes: Sorry for any mistakes I've made throughout the game. It was the first time I've modded anything, so I was still learning the ropes.

-Menagerie: Though it was never used, this could potentially break the game too.

-Only Young Nick used his kill modification. Yes it was Strongman. Cayvie's was Ninja. Dsell's was Strongman OR Ninja. So, no Janitor.

I feel bad for making Dsell, cayvie, and Young Nick scum. You guys had a huge disadvantage. I added the kill modification to make you guys stronger, but it ended up being your demise.

Thoughts on future games:

-Hiding cards played each night (or maybe disclosing 1 random one each night?) seems one of the best fixes. As well as the next one.

-Scum having 5 cards. I like the idea of them drafting 5 cards, then swapping one for a kill modification, the kill modification still under the original card's name. The card would be swapped after they see what their cards do, so they can safe-claim.

-Drafting. Maybe this should be removed. I could probably still do it, just not say who the players to the right and left are. That could cause some problems though. Or I could not tell their alignment until after the drafting is complete.

-If I was to host this again, I would remove a couple cards, change others, and of course make entirely new ones to keep the game fresh! I would also run it through someone else, just to make sure everything is good.

To answer some questions:

I was really worried ever since drafting. I sent Archetype a couple PMs saying "you're sure we shouldn't have our kill modifications be cards?"
That was mainly because I already said that scum wouldn't have that in their hand. I didn't want to cause any more confusion.

cayvie played Possession N2 which is what caused the TM confusion. I wonder what would have happened had she played it on herself.
I would have said: "Pick a valid target," Nothing more, nothing less.

--

Anyway, thank you again to all who were my guinea pigs participated! Also big thank you to eHalcyon for helping tweak a few things (even though It was too late). I really enjoy modding, and look forward to doing it again in BMX. I will most likely hold another one of these, but not until after all the kinks are worked out.

Thanks again!

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: December 14, 2012, 11:10:26 pm »

I really enjoyed the concept presented in this game and look forward to a more balanced DoMafia II.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: December 14, 2012, 11:16:19 pm »

I really enjoyed the concept presented in this game and look forward to a more balanced DoMafia II.

Sorry for killing you N1! It was because we were afraid of you. :P

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: December 15, 2012, 09:42:57 am »

I appreciate the compliment. I decided to go play Resistance where everyone gets to participate for the duration of the game.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: December 15, 2012, 11:28:00 am »

Thanks for moderating Archetype. It was fun and I'm looking forward to a more balanced version of this. I liked the general concept and the drafting process made it special. I wouldn't remove this. But 5 card starts for Mafia is a must.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: December 15, 2012, 02:20:35 pm »

But really though!

Actually we all had a pretty hilarious back-and-forth with this case against me, which led to the discovery of New Age Robz.

DoMafia I: Leave your logic at the door!

Yeah, I'd be pretty angry with me, if I was you.

All ready to lynch Dsell, now?

We could lynch you instead. Would that work?

I'm pretty sure Robz has used up all of his strong, pro-town personas and is now trying on the new-agey Robz costume.

"Pro-town" is just a social construct. You'll see, once we've all been reincarnated into cats.

Ha! That was fun.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
Re: DoMafia I: It Depends on the Kingdom: GAME OVER! FLAWLESS TOWN WIN (sort of)!
« Reply #1324 on: December 15, 2012, 04:14:13 pm »

Some ending flavor:

Everyone was in a frenzy, cards were flying everywhere, hands were shown, lies were told, and secrets were revealed. Halfway through all this, Morgrim had to leave, Voltgloss opting to take his place. He carefully looked over all the cards on the table, and pointed at Young Nick saying:

"Get that rulebreaker!"

Everyone, ashersky, Captain_Frisk, Robz888, Qvist, jothenoah, and, of course, Voltgloss, all ran to Young Nick's chair and grabbed ahold of the bottom.

"What are you doing!?" He screamed, "I need to finish doing my finals!"

They paraded to the back door, chanting, "Rulebreaker! Rulebreaker! Let's get rid of the rulebreaker!" Someone plucked a skeleton key out of Young Nick's pocket, and carefully unlocked the back door.

Pingpongsam, Galzria,  and Eevee were on the other side, there outstretched arms welcoming Young Nick. Dsell and cayvie both pushed against the chair, but it was no use. The players was too unified! With one last heave, they tossed Young Nick out into the backyard. Pingpongsam, Eevee and Galzria all ran back in, eager to be inside. Dsell and cayvie both scrambled to get inside, but the door was closed and locked before they even got to it.

Young Nick, the Mafia-aligned player has been lynched. Everyone looked at his hand, but they couldn't find one. Looked like he had no cards.

--

The Rulefollowers cheered! They had disposed of all the rulebreakers! They all took their original seats just as Voltgloss bought the last Province, ending the game.

--
Just then, Archetype burst through the front door! He had returned! The table was a complete mess with cards everywhere, but he was glad that everyone had had fun!

And most importantly, Galzria and Voltgloss had tied with the most (M)VP! Good job to them!

The game was over! See you soon for another game of...

DoMafia!
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54  All

Page created in 2.42 seconds with 20 queries.