Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cards with loop statements  (Read 3188 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
Cards with loop statements
« on: October 25, 2012, 07:55:07 am »
+3

Whittler
Action
Cost: 5
Return a card from your hand to the supply
Do the following until you fail to gain a card:
*Gain an action card costing less than the card you returned to the supply
*Play it
*Return it to the supply

Cleaner
Action
Cost: 3
Do the following until you reveal a hand with no victory cards.
*Reveal your hand, and set aside all victory and curse cards. +1 card for each card set aside this way.
When you reveal a hand with no victory cards, discard the set aside cards.

Edit: Fixed Cleaner to prevent infinite loops
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:43:33 am by NoMoreFun »

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
Re: Cards with loop statements
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:30:05 am »

I Like!

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 08:39:36 am »

Yeah, really cool!

Have you tested them? I find it hard to measure how strong Whittler will be. It has bits of Procession and Band of Misfits in it, both cards I haven't quite mastered yet. Maybe $5 is a bit steep - it does cost an (expensive) action card from your hand every time you play it (besides being a way to get rid of your Ruins and Swindlered cards). 

I think Cleaner is really strong, but only in the right situations. $3 is probably right. It needs to be reworded, though. The current wording enables an infinite loop.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 09:05:34 am »
+2

What if you changed it to say "set aside" instead of discard for the victory cards.  This would prevent an infinite loop.  I would also remove the curses, because I think that would be way too powerful.  it removes the pain of curses... also, I think clearner would become way overpowered in a gardens or alternate victory points game.  But I love the idea

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 09:48:33 am »

I removed the infinite loop from cleaner, but I kept the curse clause. It takes curses away from your hand, but you can reveal a hand with curses but no victory cards to end the loop.

In a gardens/silk road games, it's worse than playing a workshop. It can be good in duke games if you have non terminal card draw and/or enough silvers.

Also it may be worth noting that the card you return to the supply for Whittler need not be an action. I posted it in another topic, and originally you would discard an action, gain a copy of it and play it, then start the chain with that action. I may have overly nerfed it.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:34:25 am »

Am i reading this wrong? How does revealing a hand with no victory points but curse cards end the loop?  You can set aside the curse cards and draw more according to your wording...  And I suppose it is worse than a workshop.  unless you had amassed enough money before diving for gardens/silk roads and had a source of +buy... but that's a lot of maybes...

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:14:57 pm »

Because it says "Do the following until you reveal a hand with no victory cards."
So a hand with just curses would stop the loop.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:18:26 pm »

What if cleaner just said "discard any number of Curse or Victory cards. +1 card per card discarded. You may repeat this process as many times as you like."

It makes it just slightly more powerful, because you could choose to keep a curse or victory in hand, but not much more powerful; and the wording seems much simpler.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 12:21:04 pm »

Whittler looks mighty powerful if you play it with a Peddler in hand.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Lashof

• Steward
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 12:35:09 pm »

You could re-word Cleaner to be kind of like Library:

Cleaner - 3
Action
Count the number of cards in your hand.  Then you may set aside any number of victory and/or curse cards from your hand.
Draw until you have the counted number in hand.  Set aside any victory and curse cards drawn this way as you draw them.
Discard the set aside cards after you finish drawing.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 02:28:58 pm »

They are both very neat.

Although some of the official cards aren't worded with loop statements, they are basically, especially "draw until you have/find a certain number/type of card(s)" like Hunting Party, Golem, Loan and so on.

Whittler has the problem that it might take a while to resolve which can be nasty. And Cleaner is very similar to Storeroom, but maybe different enough, although maybe a little bit weaker.
But I like the concept. What else could be done??

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 05:23:42 pm »

Is Cleaner intended to compound?

I play Cleaner and set aside 4 VP cards.  I draw 4 more VP cards and set them aside.  Now I draw 8 cards, since 8 have been set aside in total?

I think that might make it too strong.  You can start greening heavily and Cleaner would single-handedly allow you to draw your deck.

I suppose "set aside this way" is supposed to limit it to that one act of setting aside.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.623 seconds with 21 queries.