Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My first Dark Ages experience!  (Read 972 times)

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
My first Dark Ages experience!
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:30:22 pm »

So, I finally got to play a bit of Dark Ages! Got to play 3 games!

The first was 5-player with 10 random dark ages cards. There were some fun interactions between Ironmonger and Mystic. Also, Wandering Minstrel and Mystic. Pretty fun.

The second was also 5-player and was one of the Dark Ages/ Base recommended sets. I went for an approach with Rats and Remodel and was able to get quite a bit of Gold. My brother attempted the same but just got unlucky. However, the existence of Knights proved to be quite a nuisance as I tried to build a deck of nothing but Gold while all my cards were getting trashed. Not fun. However, it does seem that Rats + TfB is a viable strategy. Also, the benefits of the knights aren't really that important. The guy who won ignored the fancy tricks and bought Duchies starting super early.

The third had a bunch of different cards and was probably the most interesting. It was a 4 player game and had Lighthouse, Beggar, Warehouse, Bishop, Gardens, Cache, Contraband, Catacombs, King's Court and Expand. Three of us opened Bishop-Warehouse and of the three, two of us just wanted to shut down the fourth player who got a 5/2 and went with Cache/Beggar, obviously heading into Gardens. It really just came down to who transitioned best out of the Bishop start, with the Gardens player only getting 5 Gardens (the other 7 going to Bishops) worth 4 VP each.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: My first Dark Ages experience!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:17:42 am »
+3

5-player  :o

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:53:33 am »

Yes, I hate 5 player games. It's painful, unbalanced, and too fast. A nightmare for the last two players.

On your 2nd game, knights seem quite weak because there are rats ...

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:14:57 pm »

Yes, I hate 5 player games. It's painful, unbalanced, and too fast. A nightmare for the last two players.

On your 2nd game, knights seem quite weak because there are rats ...

5-player is pretty fast, but we were all just making up ideas with these dark ages cards, so it wasn't totally nuts. Also, since a 4th pile needs to run out, it's actually more comparable to 3-player than to 4-player. 6-player and 4-player are a similar pair.

Regarding Knights and Rats, Knights does trash some Rats, but for one thing only two players were taking that approach. Also, the only TfB is Remodel, so the Rats then get turned into good Knight targets. If say, Bishop was your Rats trasher, then Knights would be weaker but since (almost) anything you Remodel a Rat into is in the 3-6 range, you build up a tight Knight-Target deck.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.