Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Google + Walled Village  (Read 58348 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
Re: Google + Walled Village
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2012, 11:06:19 am »

But it was good enough to be programmed and added before 70 cards that did make it into expansions.
Obviously false.

The problem is limited access.  Some people just plain won't be able to get the card.  And that's wrong.
Everyone with internet access can have it. You say false things.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2012, 11:12:27 am »
+2

But it was good enough to be programmed and added before 70 cards that did make it into expansions.
Obviously false.

In what way?  Walled Village is available.  The cards in Alchemy, Cornucopia, and Hinterlands, and 2/3 of the Dark Ages card, are unavailable.

The problem is limited access.  Some people just plain won't be able to get the card.  And that's wrong.
Everyone with internet access can have it. You say false things.

You're right, this is technically false.  Let me rephrase more properly:

Not everyone with a Goko account can get the card without having/creating an account at a different site that has absolutely nothing to do with Goko or Dominion.  This limits access.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2012, 11:20:47 am »
+40

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2012, 11:50:11 am »
+32

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:02:52 pm by DStu »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2012, 11:50:39 am »
+29

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2012, 11:51:57 am »
+17

I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

1wheel

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2012, 12:00:26 pm »
+23

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2012, 12:02:46 pm »
+5

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:03:07 pm by DStu »

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2012, 12:07:23 pm »
+4

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:03:18 pm by DStu »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2012, 12:12:55 pm »

Obviously false.

In what way?  Walled Village is available.  The cards in Alchemy, Cornucopia, and Hinterlands, and 2/3 of the Dark Ages card, are unavailable.
"Good enough." The relative quality of Walled Village was unlikely to be a criteria here. Easy enough, that's what it was.

Not everyone with a Goko account can get the card without having/creating an account at a different site that has absolutely nothing to do with Goko or Dominion.  This limits access.
It sounds restrictive when you don't mention that it's Google. Only people with internet access can get digital Walled Village. That's also a restriction.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2012, 12:14:15 pm »
+1

lol.

Edit: And the card alterations aren't bad either!

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2012, 12:18:23 pm »

Or - I could complain it on the internet, hope that other people do the same, and maybe the company will change its behavior as a response to consumer feedback.
Given that they actually named Google there, I think a change is very unlikely. I think Google is who you have to convince at this point.

This quote is particularly hilarious.... quixotic Dominion fan takes the fight to the big end of town.... complains to Google about their sponsoring Walled Village.... Google takes time out from acquiring (and orphaning) independent software producers to apologise and reverse their sponsorship....

The Mouse That Roared for the 21st century.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2012, 12:26:08 pm »
+10

Last one for now
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:03:36 pm by DStu »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2012, 12:41:57 pm »
+27

I think we need a fork ;)

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2012, 12:47:52 pm »
+4

I still think it's super unimpressive that you HAVE to use google to obtain one of the cards. I signed up using my hotmail account because it's still my main account and I've had it since I was in high school.

The problem is suppose I never see this thread and sign up for goko with my hotmail account as I would having not seen this thread. I can NEVER get walled village, furthermore it's the last promo I buy so I would go through the hassle of beating all the adventures to get the promos (which btw is a huge hassle) and then I find out I needed to sign up with my google account to get walled village? Thats not OK, that means that by the time I get to it I need to decide to a) make a new account and create a google account, OR I need to be ok with not being able to have walled village.

This is 100% not ok, I was willing to get behind a LOT of other issues, but this might actually drive me away from goko, I know it'll drive a lot of other players away.

If it was like when you try to buy it, it says hey mind giving us a google account for this, then I'm still unimpressed but it's unlikely to make me quit over it. (ie as a one time thing when I buy it I have to confirm I have a google email)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2012, 01:14:13 pm »
+6

I have a Google account and like Google as a company, but this bothers me. I'm tired of companies treating me like:

1. My brain is a sponge for advertising
2. I don't have two quarters to rub together.

Stop making me run around with Gokoins, credits, registrations, free service w/ ads blah blah blah! HAVE THE BALLS TO CHARGE ME DOLLAR MONIES FOR YOUR GAME.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2012, 01:35:55 pm »
+6

Can I point out something?  About practicality, rather than the fairness and whatnot and here and back again.  Although maybe the practicality is related to the fairness of the sponsorship.

We could just, as a community, decide that we don't care about Walled Village.  It is, in fact, a very low quality card, the most interesting thing it does is Ambassador openings, and that's just a degenerate shenanigan.

Don't buy it on goko.  Don't play it with your friends.  Don't put it in the randomizer for tournaments.  Veto it on isotropic because you don't want to learn any more about the card. 

You loose a sliver of a fraction of a percentage point of the collective quality cards available in Dominion, and no one has to feed the monster.

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2012, 01:54:30 pm »
+1

Can I point out something?  About practicality, rather than the fairness and whatnot and here and back again.  Although maybe the practicality is related to the fairness of the sponsorship.

We could just, as a community, decide that we don't care about Walled Village.  It is, in fact, a very low quality card, the most interesting thing it does is Ambassador openings, and that's just a degenerate shenanigan.

Don't buy it on goko.  Don't play it with your friends.  Don't put it in the randomizer for tournaments.  Veto it on isotropic because you don't want to learn any more about the card. 

You loose a sliver of a fraction of a percentage point of the collective quality cards available in Dominion, and no one has to feed the monster.

Don't you think Walled Village has to put up with enough already? It's already strictly better than Village, but it gets hated on by everybody because it's not really that great. Now you're going to scapegoat it and doom it to obscurity as a roundabout way to vent your Goko-rage? That's not right.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2012, 02:10:44 pm »
+2

The only point that I see to Walled Village is having Band of Misfits pretend to be one when, of the other two terminals you have in hand, one of them is a one-shot.  Then you get to use your Band next turn.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2012, 02:11:55 pm »
+1

I'd join you guys, but Walled Village was just a big help for me in a Vault/Witch board.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:23:45 pm by Kahryl »

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2012, 02:17:29 pm »
+8

I'm a completionist I love dominion and want to own every card possible online, so having a restriction on the cards to me is unnacceptable even if it is walled village.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2012, 02:28:54 pm »
+5

The only point that I see to Walled Village is having Band of Misfits pretend to be one when, of the other two terminals you have in hand, one of them is a one-shot.  Then you get to use your Band next turn.

Another important thing though... whatever else Walled Village may or may not be, it's still a Village. This means that if you own all cards except Walled Village, then your randomly chosen set of 10 cards is less likely to have any cards that give +2 actions than if you had Walled Village as well. Whether or not there's a Village on the board is one of the biggest things that changes the strategy of the board as a whole.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2012, 02:54:24 pm »
+3

Another important thing though... whatever else Walled Village may or may not be, it's still a Village. This means that if you own all cards except Walled Village, then your randomly chosen set of 10 cards is less likely to have any cards that give +2 actions than if you had Walled Village as well. Whether or not there's a Village on the board is one of the biggest things that changes the strategy of the board as a whole.

Then change the random kingdom algorithm to include more villages.  I don't know why people insist on using the most basic possible kingdom selection method and then complain when it does nothing but choose cards at random.
Set all the other villages to a 1.1X chance of occurence, same thing.

The completionist logic is irrational, hopefully you can at least yourself realize it.  You're putting an artificial value on 100% ownership.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:57:41 pm by popsofctown »

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2012, 03:04:19 pm »
+2

The completionist logic is irrational, hopefully you can at least yourself realize it.  You're putting an artificial value on 100% ownership.

But I have to have them all....

Strategically, it makes sense to purchase prosperity and nothing else.

I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2012, 03:26:36 pm »
+2

But I have to have them all....

Look what playing Pokemon as kids has done to us.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 1.066 seconds with 21 queries.