Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I am sad  (Read 3428 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
I am sad
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:03:19 am »
+15

It is sad that this subforum (specifically General Dominion Discussion), as well as many of the others, has devolved into people whining about Goko, arguing about inane things, and overall being negative and mean to each other. This place used to be full of interesting discussions by people who were generally respectful and shared an interest in Dominion. Now it's hard to sift through the junk to find the interesting posts. Could we at least try to keep the Goko- and Isotropic-related posts in their specific subforums at least, so that we can have more general discussion here?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: I am sad
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:38:04 am »

I admit to getting rather overwhelmed by the number of contentless Goko Sucks posts that I've acted pretty badly at times.  I understand that a lot of people are upset right now, but I've also seen that people have put a lot of effort into making Goko an improved place to play Dominion, and it upsets me to see those people cast as faceless bad guys so instinctively.  But then, I suppose that's how I've been viewing all of these new accounts that have sprung up in the past couple days just to complain about Goko.
Well you *do* need a signature...

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:59:14 am »
+4

Please make liberal use of the Report to Moderator button.  I address whatever I can see, but I can and often do miss things.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:00:42 am »
+2

Hey, I'd rather keep inanely speculating about Guilds, but no one's responded in that subforum in a few days.  :(
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 11:46:14 am »

It is sad that this subforum (specifically General Dominion Discussion), as well as many of the others, has devolved into people whining about Goko, arguing about inane things, and overall being negative and mean to each other.

I haven't really noticed anybody being mean to each other (although I will admit I have seen an increase of it on Iso lately).  I think arguing is not necessarily a negative thing.  It is really just a reframing of 'disagreeing' which is a healthy part of forums.  The Goko and negativity thing I imagine will blow over soon.  Once Iso has gone I imagine these people will either move to Goko or drift way.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 12:18:46 pm »

theory - perhaps you could make a separate subforum for debate about the situation? that way, those who want to ignore these complaints can do so. as is, they seem to appear at random in "general discussion," both of the goko subforums, and the isotropic subforum. This is probably annoying for folks who just want a lot of talk about Dominion, and it also probably engenders some of the repetition.

I do enjoy reading the debate, even though I haven't contributed much myself. I don't think it belongs in RSP (which I ignore). It is interesting to see where people fall on this issue.

For the OP, keep in mind that for a lot of us, this is effectively the end of a hobby we've been invested in for a couple years now. I think the decline of good strategy talk in the forum is likely to continue even after some of the acrimonious posts go away, just because a smaller percentage of us will be familiar with the new cards.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 12:24:11 pm »
+1

It is sad that this subforum (specifically General Dominion Discussion), as well as many of the others, has devolved into people whining about Goko, arguing about inane things, and overall being negative and mean to each other.

I haven't really noticed anybody being mean to each other (although I will admit I have seen an increase of it on Iso lately).  I think arguing is not necessarily a negative thing.  It is really just a reframing of 'disagreeing' which is a healthy part of forums.  The Goko and negativity thing I imagine will blow over soon.  Once Iso has gone I imagine these people will either move to Goko or drift way.

Or just play irl.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 01:49:19 pm »
+3

Change is often a painful process for human beings in general. Right now, a lot of players are going through a painful process. I believe there are seven stages to grieving and many people just haven't reached the acceptance stage yet. It will take time. With that said, both sides are welcome to their point of view. If some people prefer Goko, good. If some people prefer iso and have no intentions of using Goko, then good for them as well. I do think it is a shame that many good players will quit this hobby. But, who knows, maybe in a couple of months, they will come back. I do think a lot of the criticsms against Goko right now are valid. Even though their product is almost ready for "prime time." I still think there are some kinks to work out, and I get annoyed with their product plenty of times, and this is coming from someone who has played their almost exclusively since September and with over 1000 Goko games under his belt.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 02:04:16 pm »

Yeah I have been guilty of this, bit will go back to flights of whimsy
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 02:07:20 pm »

I do think a lot of the criticsms against Goko right now are valid.

I don't think for me that has much to do with change or acceptance.  I have accepted this since last Idon'tknow August? It's just, posts like this are really begging to posts my opinion, and I have indeed restarted posting about goko after such a question.  It got maybe twice as many posts as it should have been, but anyway...

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 06:05:50 pm »
+4

I would complain about how the Goko interface isn't to my liking, but I'm too busy putting in games on Iso to bother posting about it.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 06:09:56 am »

Agreed. Honestly, I currently avoid reading the Goko and iso threads.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.