Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #15: $2 Card!  (Read 29700 times)

Guy Srinivasan

• Salvager
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #15: $2 Card!
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2012, 03:59:28 pm »

(although Mona is actually probably too strong with the "buy a Copper first" trick).
Yeah, I kept thinking about the +$2 on Buy benefit, and it feels like it's too strong in general to price well. It's either close to "Gain a Copper, +$2" which is okay in most decks, strong in big decks, and weak in engines, or in a combo it's "Gain a Copper, +$infinity" which is too strong. On the other hand, +$1 on Buy just isn't nearly as exciting... the fact that you don't get the benefit on the first buy actually makes it significantly harder to use (for non-Copper buys) than Bridge/Highway.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2012, 04:07:34 pm »

I forgot just how long commenting on contests takes! Briefer notes this time around.

Sail On
$2 - Action-Duration
+$2
--
When you buy this you may pay more than $2. For every additional $1 paid, choose one (you may choose each one more than once).
- Trash a card in hand.
- Next turn: +1 Card.
- Next turn: +1 Action.
- Next turn: +1 Buy.

Memory issues make this less than fun. I'd go with ideas that have immediate impact, like the trash option.

Marcella
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
Discard any number of Curse cards. +1 Card per Curse card discarded.
--
When you gain this, gain a Curse.

You could cut out the gain ability and still have a fine card (and probably a better one), especially since the extra buy allows you a way to self-curse.

Shut Down
$2 - Action
Reveal your hand. +$1 per Victory card revealed. If this is the first time you have played a [This Card] this turn, +1 Action.

We got a lot of this in the treasure contest, and I think it's more elegant in that form. Not that this is a bad design; just that its a worse place to put it.

The Trader
$2 - Treasure
+$2
When you gain this, gain a Copper.

I admire the simplicity, but its just not that interesting. Terminal Silvers should have an impact on what's happening.

Darlin'
$2 - Action-Reaction
Trash two cards from your hand.
--
When you would gain a card, you may discard this. If you do, instead gain a card costing exactly $1 more.

Not very thematic. The two halves have nothing to do with each other. If the abilities were generic enough, it could work as nice filler (Moat being a great example), but they aren't. A stapled-together card needs to do something really well, and this just doesn't do that.

California Girls
$2 - Action-Reaction
+$2
You may place your [This Card] token onto any supply pile.
--
When another player plays the card your [This Card] token is on, you may reveal and discard this card. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.

Interesting. It sort of Hunts down the opposition, which is fun and nifty. I'd change it to Kingdom piles only; putting this on Copper is stupid and so very against the whole point.

Together Again
$2 - Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
Return this card to the supply.

I'm not a fan of Kingdom piles that never empty. Side-items like Spoils are nice, but this is ridiculous.

Warmth of the Sun
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Trash 2 Curses or Ruins from the supply. If you do, +1 Card.

It's odd working with Curses and Ruins in this fashion given there are games where neither will matter to actual gameplay.

Wild Honey
$2 - Action-Reaction
+2 Actions
When you discard this from your deck, you may reveal it. If you do, put it in your hand.

"When you discard this from your deck or hand, you may set it aside. If you do, return it to your hand at the start of your next turn." That's what I initially felt this should be. But I'm not sure how I feel about it with Vault-like engines. It's probably still okay, but a bit wary-some. I think the discard from deck only is actually fine; a bit narrow at times, but good at other times, and it allows you to use the much simpler "put directly in your hand" mechanic.

Do It Again
$2 - Action-Looter
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a card costing 2 or less. Trash it. You may put one revealed card in your hand; discard the rest.
--
When you trash this, each other player gains a Ruins.

I can't tell whether this sort of card selection is abusable at such a low price, but I really like the concept overall. I do hate that there will be plenty of times where you get no card in hand. That just makes you feel awful.

Caroline
$2 - Action
If you have no other cards in play you may discard your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to 6.

Eek! Really abusable early on. A monster in a $5/$2 opening.

Cotton Fields
$2 - Action
Choose one: Gain an Estate; or Gain a Spoils.

Simple and quirky. I think I like it! No idea how good the spoils half is on a $2 card.

Pet Sounds
$2 - Action
+$2
Trash this card. Put a [This Card] token on top of a supply pile costing $3 or more.
--
Cards cost $1 more per [This Card] token on that pile.

I don't think an Embargo variant like this is a bad idea, but its not my favorite implementation of taxing. No idea why it has the $3 restriction. An okay card that I just don't feel like voting for.

Barbara Ann
$2 - Action-Attack
+1 Action
Every other player gains a Curse, putting it in their hand, or discards a Curse, gaining a Silver, putting it in their hand.

Quirky junker is quirky! I don't think this wants to be a $2 even in this capacity. It's a very interesting concept, though, and I'd like to see it get played with.

Mona
$2 - Action
+1 Buy
+$1
The first time you buy a card this turn, +$2.

Very simple way to promote extra buys being good. I like!

Wind Chimes
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
--
When you discard this from play, if you bought fewer than two cards this turn, you may put this on top of your deck.

A clean design on the surface, but one that unfortunately feels like it plays awkwardly. The benefit of putting it on your deck just isn't apparent, since the card is basically a wasted slot. If that +Action was another benefit, this card would have much more value.

Wouldn't It Be Nice
$2 - Action
+1 Buy
Choose one: Take a [This Card] token; or return any number of [This Card] tokens, +$2 per [This Card] token returned.

A decent idea that I really just don't want to vote for. It might even play nicely, but I feel that it misses the excitement of other storage cards like Native Village.

Wake the World
$2 - Action-Duration
At the start of your next turn, trash this. If you do, gain an Action card and put it into your hand.

$2 = Gain a King's Court? Ew. Wants more restrictions.

Kokomo
$2 - Action
Choose one: +1 Buy, +$1; or discard your hand. If you discarded any cards this way, draw 1 fewer cards than the number you discarded, +1 Action, and return this card to your hand.

Sorta a mini-Minion that doesn't quite combo out as well. Not sure what to think of it.

Sunshine
$2 - Action
+1 Card
--
While this is in play, keep the top 2 cards of your deck revealed. You may put them in any order at any time.
--
(Rules clarification: While any number of [This Card] cards are in play, the top 2 cards of your deck are revealed at all times. For all intents and purposes (including its own card draw), you may treat either as the top card of your deck by reordering them at any time. If a card draws more than one card (such as Smithy), you draw one of the two revealed cards and reveal a replacement before drawing any more cards. If a card reveals a series of cards from the top of the deck (such as Scout), you select which of the two is revealed first, but the card is still technically the top card of the deck until the other card resolves, meaning you do not reveal any more cards for [This Card]'s effect until the other card is resolved. When there are no longer any [This Card]s in play, you must return the revealed cards to the top of your deck in any order.)

I'm wondering if the base stats on this could be improved; its a mini-Spy that peeks better but doesn't cantrip and doesn't attack, but the effect is still card selection. The problem is that the idea presents this big idea of drawing past unwanted cards, but doesn't actually do a good job at it. That's a let down I don't want from this card. I initially liked the concept, but after considering it, there's not a lot there (though in combination with a variety of things, there could be a lot more than I'm seeing).

Fun Fun Fun
$2 - Action-Attack
Each player (including you) reveals the top and bottom cards of his deck and either switches their placement or returns them to where they were before, your choice.

I just don't like attacks at this size all that often. Their effects have to be minimal enough to not be too oppressive, and that makes for a dwarfed idea. Case in point: I really like your concept, but would rather see it on a $4 as a cantrip or with some other benefit.

$2 - Action-Attack-Looter
Reveal a Ruins cards from the Ruins pile each player in the game.  Place one Ruins card aside, of your choice, and shuffle the remaining revealed Ruins cards putting on the top of the Ruins pile. Each other player gains a Ruins card. Gain the set aside Ruins card and play it immediately.

There's a lot going on here, and the end result just wasn't worth it.

Good Vibrations
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Gain an Action or Treasure card costing up to $5.
Each other player may gain an Action or Treasure card costing up to $3.
Put this card on top of the discard pile of the player to your left.
--
(Rules clarification: This card uses a passing mechanism similar to that of Masquerade, but the card passes itself instead of another card. The card is placed in the opponent's discard pile instead of his hand and he doesn't gain it, so he can't react to it.)

I just don't like this, really. Turning a concept fit for a $4 or $5 into a $2 requires quite the hack-job. I'd rather just see a solid $2 idea than a $5 masquerading as one.

Honda
$2 - Action
+1 Buy
You may trash this and another copy of [This Card] from your hand.  If you do, gain a card costing up to $6, putting it on top of your deck.

This is actually quite the interesting Treasure Map variant. I like how it supports its own cause and finds a smaller but just as excitingly achievable goal to reach. It's a bit too spammable in a way I'm not sure I like, which keeps it from being great, but I think the concept is worth exploring.

So Good To Me
$2 - Action-Victory
Draw up to 5 cards in hand.
--
Worth 0.5 VP

Decimals are just hoaky.

In My Room
$2 - Action-Treasure
When you play this, +1 Card, +1 Action.
--
(Rules clarifications: You can play this card during your action phase, which requires an action, or during your buy phase, which doesn't. Either way, you get +1 Card and +1 Action. You can't play actions during your buy phase, though.)

No reason for what appears to be such a simple card to give that many rules headaches. The design needs to be worth the extra thought put into it, and this just isn't.

Deuce Coupe
$2 Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
--
When you trash this, +3 Cards and +1 Buy.

The trash benefit is a bit much, but the idea is good. I'd love to see this in its simplest form.

Little Bird
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
+$2
Discard a card.

The combination of effects doesn't do much for me. It could be a good card, and I like simplicity, but I'm just not feeling this entry.

More to come maybe

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2012, 04:22:34 pm »

@Rush, the winners have been announced already. :P

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2012, 04:32:09 pm »

Haha, that's how long it took to type up! Doesn't look like my vote would have changed much.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:34:33 pm by Rush_Clasic »

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2012, 09:02:22 pm »

Bah, on the low end, here.

#17 (tie) - Broker by Mecherath with 5 points (Cotton Fields)
$2 - Action
Choose one: Gain an Estate; or Gain a Spoils.

Should have researched more, really.  I haven't played enough Dark Ages.  Marauder and Bandit Camp are much more fun ways of getting Spoils.  Maybe I could have thrown +1 Action on it.  $2 cards are hard!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2012, 09:04:07 pm »

I liked the idea.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2012, 09:10:42 pm »

I was really happy with the feedback on my card, even though it only had a meh showing. I really liked the concept.

Do It Again (Excavator)
$2 - Action-Looter
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a card costing 2 or less. Trash it. You may put one revealed card in your hand; discard the rest.
--
When you trash this, each other player gains a Ruins.

Congrats to Graystripe! Very cool card indeed.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2012, 09:14:34 pm »

I'm not surprised Twin Town/Together Again did so badly.

This is the 2nd time I've tried the "one shot engine component that you need to keep buying back" idea. The concept is that while an extremely powerful card, because it's a one shot you'll need to take away $2 from your buying power whenever you use it. It seemed to me like villages and labs are both best for staying in your deck and being able to play harmlessly (hence mining village's trash for $2 option not being a major boost), so why not try out a card that makes you work for it. It's an engine component that can't be used when you're building the engine.

Does the idea warrant any further development?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:18:51 pm by NoMoreFun »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2012, 09:35:27 pm »

I don't think the 2$ price point is good for that sort of thing, though I think it could work.

The problem with the 2$ price point is that it gets used in a thoughtless way.  If you have 2$ and a buy left over, you want the 2$ cards to be designed in a way that makes you think before grabbing it.  Pawn and Pearl Diver both make it more dangerous to play dead draw.  Hamlet and Together Again don't really have that risk since they supply the actions you need to make dead draw live.  Hamlet is an official card but hey what do you want me to say, I dunno.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2012, 10:04:26 pm »

Should Missionary say "reveal and discard"?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2012, 08:22:00 am »

Wasn't surprised my card came so low (no votes) considering the typo made it better than Explorer when it was normally much less reliable (it's only reliable if you're up against an obvious engine, in which case you often don't want to be gaining huge reams of silver as you're probably building the obvious engine yourself).

Here's the version I used in playtesting before deciding to change it up a little for this contest:

Monopoly
Action-Reaction - $2
$2
---
When another player gains or plays the card your monopoly token is on, you may reveal and discard this card. If you do, gain a silver, putting it in your hand.
---
When you gain this card you may place or move your monopoly token onto any kingdom supply pile.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2012, 08:47:44 am »

Hm. I'm not sure. When you discard it, you automatically reveal it unless you discard multiple cards and you can't trigger multiple reaction cards at once.
But let's say there's a theoretical card which says something like "When you gain this, discard 2 cards." Not that it makes much sense, but I'm not sure if it would make problems. These two events happen at the same time and I still think you have to choose the order. So I think it's no problem.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2012, 08:55:50 am »

Well, my card was crap, but at least the idea was cool, passing the card to an opponent when you're done with it.

I couldn't come up with a good fit for the rest of the card, though. :(

I like cards that help the main player a lot and the others a little, it's always a good way to make friends. :D

Grats to the winner, although it wasn't my favorite card to be honest.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2012, 10:35:52 am »
+1

I don't think so, given the precedents of Beggar and Market Square.  But your asking that makes me realize it should say "discard from hand."  Beggar doesn't, but it only triggers during other people's turns, so the implication is clearer.  Market Square does, however; if it didn't, maybe that would mean you could discard it from play or something.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 2.53 seconds with 21 queries.