Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages Preview #5: Necropolis, Overgrown Estate, Hovel  (Read 139000 times)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages Preview #5: Necropolis, Overgrown Estate, Hovel
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2012, 12:33:31 pm »
+1

Can someone tell me why Overgrown Estate is a Victory card if it does not give you any VP's By that logic, all cards could be X-Victory with it granting 0 VP's. Suddenly, Scout and Tribute are incredible! Crossroads is the new Madman!

Or... Overgrown Estate should just be Shelter.

Why is Horn of Plenty a Treasure when it gives $0?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2012, 12:38:20 pm »
+3

Can someone tell me why Overgrown Estate is a Victory card if it does not give you any VP's
For flavor! And it does make a difference functionally.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2012, 12:55:27 pm »
+3

Can someone tell me why Overgrown Estate is a Victory card if it does not give you any VP's By that logic, all cards could be X-Victory with it granting 0 VP's. Suddenly, Scout and Tribute are incredible! Crossroads is the new Madman!

All we need now is an action card that doesn't do anything.

(cue jokes about Scout, Adventurer, CHancellor, and whatever other cards people love to hate)
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2012, 01:46:17 pm »
+1

Ruined Great Hall - $0
Action - Victory
1 VP
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2012, 02:13:19 pm »

You forgot about Silk Road and Transmute.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 11, 2012, 02:26:37 pm »
+1

Hold the phone... what happens when you Transmute a Great Hall?  Do you get a Duchy and a Gold?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2012, 02:29:17 pm »
+1

Hold the phone... what happens when you Transmute a Great Hall?  Do you get a Duchy and a Gold?

Yes.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2012, 05:17:24 pm »
+1

Haven't seen much discussion of this yet, but wow what a huge nerf to Ambassador. It's already a bit weaker in Dark Ages, relative to other trashers, because it doesn't get on-trash benefits. But with shelters in play that you can't get rid of with Amb... wow. It becomes pretty weak. Maybe still playable (since Necropolis serves as an engine component, and you can buy an Estate to trash Hovel, then return it), but much less dominating than pre-Dark Ages.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 05:18:30 pm by blueblimp »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2012, 02:39:49 am »

Haven't seen much discussion of this yet, but wow what a huge nerf to Ambassador. It's already a bit weaker in Dark Ages, relative to other trashers, because it doesn't get on-trash benefits. But with shelters in play that you can't get rid of with Amb... wow. It becomes pretty weak. Maybe still playable (since Necropolis serves as an engine component, and you can buy an Estate to trash Hovel, then return it), but much less dominating than pre-Dark Ages.

Ambassador is still a power card, but you are right, both Shelters and Ruins do weaken Ambassador. I guess this is a good thing. That card is a bit on the strong side. I still think it will be the #1 $3 cost card when all is said in done though.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2012, 05:29:07 am »

Can someone tell me why Overgrown Estate is a Victory card if it does not give you any VP's
For flavor! And it does make a difference functionally.

Yes, I understand this. It just seems like 0 VP is not enough to make Victory a subtype on the card. This could be extrapolated to all others by that logic. I know it may look like nitpicking to you, but for me it looks like unnecessary inconsistency among cards, thematics be damned.

Because you play it during your buy phase... I mean at least in this case the subtype Treasure makes sense, unlike Overgrown Estate, which is only for thematic consistency. It's not that big of a deal, but in my opinion, maybe change the name to Barn or something like that and drop the 0 VP part of the card.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 12, 2012, 08:09:29 am »

You can transmute an overgrown estate into a gold, whereas you could transmute a shed into nothing.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2012, 08:21:50 am »

"And it does make a difference functionally."  So damn the thematics but what about function?  There are tons of combos that are different just because it has that Victory label on it.  You say "0 VP" could be extrapolated to the other cards, but you can't extrapolate that "Victory" type, and since it has that type it needs something on the card to say how many VP it's worth.  That's not an inconsistency -- it's a consistency.  What would be an inconsistency would be if something called "Overgrown Estate" weren't a Victory card in the first place.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2012, 10:19:00 am »
+9

Yes, I understand this. It just seems like 0 VP is not enough to make Victory a subtype on the card. This could be extrapolated to all others by that logic. I know it may look like nitpicking to you, but for me it looks like unnecessary inconsistency among cards, thematics be damned.
By convention, victory cards are worth VP. That's just a convention though. What makes a card a victory card is the word "victory" on the bottom line. That's all there is to it.

Overgrown Estate breaks the convention but fits the rule. It does so for both theme and functionality. I am betting more people appreciate this than are bugged by it.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2012, 11:57:30 am »

In one important way, ambassador is buffed; namely, the ambassador/ambassador open is stronger when decks start with a village. (as is ambassador/any other important terminal).

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2012, 12:16:48 pm »

"And it does make a difference functionally."  So damn the thematics but what about function?  There are tons of combos that are different just because it has that Victory label on it.  You say "0 VP" could be extrapolated to the other cards, but you can't extrapolate that "Victory" type, and since it has that type it needs something on the card to say how many VP it's worth.  That's not an inconsistency -- it's a consistency.  What would be an inconsistency would be if something called "Overgrown Estate" weren't a Victory card in the first place.

Why could I not put 0 VP on all non-Victory cards and have them be a X-Victory hybrid? Why can I not extrapolate the "Victory" type? It doesn't need the subtype Victory in the first place. It is an inconsistency. It would be inconsistent for an "Overgrown Estate" to not be a Victory card. Why do you think I suggested that the name could have been changed to something else in addition to dropping the "Victory" type.

And, to Donald, I agree that it is merely a convention. However, I am of the belief that the convention should be a straight rule, not one to be broken. If it is to be broken, not in this way by the Overgrown Estate. A Victory card should have something to do with VP's, yet this one does not. It defeats the purpose of the subtype Victory if it has nothing relevant to VP's on it.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2012, 12:53:45 pm »
+2

You could always Upgrade it to an Estate if you're that bothered by it.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2012, 02:15:44 pm »

In one important way, ambassador is buffed; namely, the ambassador/ambassador open is stronger when decks start with a village. (as is ambassador/any other important terminal).

I often open amb/amb but I think it's a huge mistake with shelters. There are only so many coppers to return, and you do need some sort of income, usually a silver will suffice on turns 3/4. I mean, lets say on turn 3 you return 2 coppers and buy nothing. And you draw Amb, Cx3, estate. Well you return the estate and buy a silver. But if you replace that estate with a shelter ... you cant return another 2 coppers otherwise you screw your economy. You'll have a nice thin deck with no copper, no silver, 2 ambs and 3 shelters that just clog things up. No, I think amb/silver becomes the stronger open with shelters.

It might still be reasonable if there is a strong $2 card you want (fool's gold, squire maybe).

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2012, 02:29:40 pm »
+3

Why could I not put 0 VP on all non-Victory cards and have them be a X-Victory hybrid?
There is no good reason to, and there are good reasons not to. Whereas there was a good reason to make Overgrown Estate a victory card. Really, it turns out that "I wouldn't do this everywhere" doesn't mean "so I shouldn't do it ever."

Why do you think I suggested that the name could have been changed to something else in addition to dropping the "Victory" type.
I wanted a victory card though. So I made one. Making a different card that wasn't a victory card here would not have been as good.

It defeats the purpose of the subtype Victory if it has nothing relevant to VP's on it.
It doesn't!

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2012, 02:47:52 pm »

overgrown estate seems worse than just a plain estate..

Apprentice = draw two cards = same
Bishop = one less VP for draw
Remake = gain an estate many games
etc. etc.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2012, 02:54:34 pm »
+3

Well you don't expect an estate to fall into disrepair and get better, do you?

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2012, 05:10:35 pm »

Shelters may not be worth the 1 VP of an Estate, but they are way better to have in your deck.

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2012, 08:58:30 pm »

By convention, victory cards are worth VP. That's just a convention though. What makes a card a victory card is the word "victory" on the bottom line. That's all there is to it.

Overgrown Estate breaks the convention but fits the rule. It does so for both theme and functionality. I am betting more people appreciate this than are bugged by it.

Count me as not bugged. Actually I'd be considerably more bugged if none of the shelters were victory cards. Victory cards are a nice type that have many interactions, crossroads/transmute/silk road etc.

overgrown estate seems worse than just a plain estate..

Apprentice = draw two cards = same
Bishop = one less VP for draw
Remake = gain an estate many games
etc. etc.

You forgot plain trashers (as opposed to the TfB you've mentioned). So its better when you trash it with chapel/steward and a whole host of DA cards too rats/hermit/other stuff.

Anyway its more interesting

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2012, 03:49:37 am »
+3

I just wanted to say: I'm missing the previews.  :-\ Hopefully this whole set gets spoiled soon.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2012, 09:57:18 am »

I just wanted to say: I'm missing the previews.  :-\ Hopefully this whole set gets spoiled soon.
That may create an overload in my head.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2012, 02:34:34 pm »
+3

Why could I not put 0 VP on all non-Victory cards and have them be a X-Victory hybrid? Why can I not extrapolate the "Victory" type? It doesn't need the subtype Victory in the first place. It is an inconsistency. It would be inconsistent for an "Overgrown Estate" to not be a Victory card. Why do you think I suggested that the name could have been changed to something else in addition to dropping the "Victory" type.

And, to Donald, I agree that it is merely a convention. However, I am of the belief that the convention should be a straight rule, not one to be broken. If it is to be broken, not in this way by the Overgrown Estate. A Victory card should have something to do with VP's, yet this one does not. It defeats the purpose of the subtype Victory if it has nothing relevant to VP's on it.

I don't understand why you're ignoring the functional ramifications, which is the question I put to you in my initial reply.

Why can't you make everything an X-Victory hybrid worth 0 VP?  Because then Scout is a triple-Laboratory (an unnecessary buff for what is already a power card!  Zing!).

Card types aren't flavor.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:38:08 pm by rinkworks »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.