Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages Preview #2: Feodum, Cultist, Ruined Market  (Read 185878 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages Preview #2
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:27 am »

So, Cultist looks really strong. Really, it's a Laboratory with a bunch of other benefits, including a Curse variant attack. It's a Laboratory because you can keep playing copies of it (provided you have them, sort of like Lab), which is easier because it's drawing cards. It's not completely equivalent to Lab, because you can't play any other Actions, but then it has the benefit of giving your opponents these mostly useless cards. Oh, and you can trash it for a nice pay off.

Interesting. I was thinking it looks more like an altered Witch than Laboratory. I think it will be hard to get a bunch of Cultists in one deck, especially if your opponents also get them and give out Ruins. I think the Lab-like effect will be pretty minimal in most games. But, it's +2 Cards and give out Ruins is a lot like Witch, with the bonuses of being able to play Cultists without actions and on-trash benefits showing how much weaker giving Ruins are than giving Curses.

It's kind of both, which is why I think it's so strong. I mean, imagine if Witch let you play another Witch if you had one it hand. That would be a significant buff to an already super powerful card, right? Well, Cultist isn't giving out Curses, but it's giving out junk, and you trash it for +3 Cards if you want. Pretty strong!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:08 am »

So, Cultist looks really strong. Really, it's a Laboratory with a bunch of other benefits, including a Curse variant attack. It's a Laboratory because you can keep playing copies of it (provided you have them, sort of like Lab), which is easier because it's drawing cards. It's not completely equivalent to Lab, because you can't play any other Actions, but then it has the benefit of giving your opponents these mostly useless cards. Oh, and you can trash it for a nice pay off.

Interesting. I was thinking it looks more like an altered Witch than Laboratory. I think it will be hard to get a bunch of Cultists in one deck, especially if your opponents also get them and give out Ruins. I think the Lab-like effect will be pretty minimal in most games. But, it's +2 Cards and give out Ruins is a lot like Witch, with the bonuses of being able to play Cultists without actions and on-trash benefits showing how much weaker giving Ruins are than giving Curses.

It's kind of both, which is why I think it's so strong. I mean, imagine if Witch let you play another Witch if you had one it hand. That would be a significant buff to an already super powerful card, right? Well, Cultist isn't giving out Curses, but it's giving out junk, and you trash it for +3 Cards if you want. Pretty strong!

Cultist as your card drawer is stronger than Witch, too, right?  The chance that, the more Cultists you have, the better chance you could draw +4/6/8... cards on one "play" seems to help in all sorts of decks.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:22 am »

Also! I noticed that Donald basically said that there were 3 looter cards in Dark Ages.  Yay.

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:34 am »
+1

Yeah, but I don't see this being that viable, usually.  By the time you're chaining at least 3 in one play, or by the time you're pretty much guaranteed to get 2 in one play, ruinses are gonna be gone.  Especially considering you're going to be getting ruinses as well.  And then they're just worse labs, except for the trashing bit.

It seems like you need such a good cultist density.  Maybe if the board had chapel/university.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:32:59 am by carstimon »

Gansura

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2012, 10:35:19 am »
+1

Also! I noticed that Donald basically said that there were 3 looter cards in Dark Ages.  Yay.

Could there be non-attack looters? Such as:

Type: Victory-Looter
$5
+4VP
When you buy this gain a ruins.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2012, 10:37:00 am »

Yeah, but I don't see this being that viable, usually.  By the time you're chaining at least 3 in one play, or by the time you're pretty much guaranteed to get 2 in one play, ruinses are gonna be gone.  Especially considering you're going to be getting ruinses as well.  And then they're just worse labs, except for the trashing bit.

It seems like you need such a good cultist density.  Maybe if the board had chapel/university.

Sure, but if you do get that density quickly, probably with a nice early trasher or something, the snowball effect is going to be so huge.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2012, 10:37:31 am »

Could there be non-attack looters? Such as:

Type: Victory-Looter
$5
+4VP
When you buy this gain a ruins.

That would be interesting, but after the Ruins pile is empty, it's a pretty cheap source of VP.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2012, 10:38:10 am »

I kind of wish that Ruins cost $1…just to really jack with Upgrade and Remake.
A man has no signature

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2012, 10:39:29 am »
+1

I kind of wish that Ruins cost $1…just to really jack with Upgrade and Remake.

I don't think Upgrade could handle much more punishment!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2012, 10:40:09 am »

Sure, but if you do get that density quickly, probably with a nice early trasher or something, the snowball effect is going to be so huge.

Prediction: Cultists are going to be pretty decent, but not to the level of Witch or Mountebank. Probably somewhere around #6 in the best $5 cards list.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2012, 10:40:17 am »
+1

The neat trick that Donald did with Ruins (and I do not believe this was a coincidence) is that there are just enough cards to fuel a 6-player game.
A man has no signature

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2012, 10:41:30 am »

Prediction: Cultists are going to be pretty decent, but not to the level of Witch or Mountebank. Probably somewhere around #6 in the best $5 cards list.

Prediction: Cultist won't be in the top 10 of the best $5 cards, but probably the top 20.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2012, 10:42:45 am »

I really like both the Feodum and the concept of Ruins! :D

I like how Feodum provides another strong alternate VP strategy by comboing with the silver gaining cards. I mean, it's not as if Jack needed any help to be strong, but Explorer did! ;)

Let's see, what else is there that can gain lots of Silver. Off the top of my head:

Jack
Explorer
Trader
Bureaucrat
Trusty Steed
Ironworks
Workshop

And I guess there might be at least one other in Dark Ages itself.

Looks like a long enough list to be able to combo Feodum with one of them often enough! :D (Well, it might even turn out that it is dominant too often, but I am hopeful that it will not.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:20:08 am by Varsinor »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2012, 10:43:22 am »

Answer to the Ruins / Ambassador question, from Donald:

The Ruins pile, when present, is a supply pile. You can only buy/Workshop/etc. the top card. If it's empty that counts towards game end.

You can only Ambassador two Ruins at once if they have the same name. When you Ambassador a Ruined Market, you return it to the top of the pile. Then the player to your left gains one. Then the player to their left may or may not gain one, depending on whether or not the next Ruins is a Ruined Market.

Okay, so that answers the similar question about Jester: if Jester hits a Ruins, it only has an effect if the next Ruins on the stack is the same one.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2012, 10:43:26 am »

Don't have time to read the whole thread, so apologies if this was already brought up, but:

With Feodum around, will we get a rule clarification on whether Silvers (and, by extension, other money cards) are a pile that can/cannot be emptied?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2012, 10:46:00 am »
+5

Another random thought: I think Feoda might be a great defense against Governor.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2012, 10:46:17 am »

OK, simulators. In the Jack/Feodum deck, do you want one or two Jacks before you start on the Feodums?

Definitely at least 2. I'd guess more like 3 - or even more as long as the opponent doesn't start going for the Feodums.
Although it is well possible that one wants to go primarily for Provinces in a Jack game anyway. But in that case you'll want at least 2 Jacks as well (maybe 3 in contrast to the normal DoubleJack strategy in order to gain more points off late game Feodums).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:23:02 am by Varsinor »

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2012, 10:48:15 am »

Rules question! I play village cultist cultist. Do I have an action available to me? The ways I see it are

1)No you played 2 actions.
2) Yes village gave you 2 you played a cultist for one and as part of cultists resolution you got to play another
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2012, 10:48:50 am »
+1

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2012, 10:49:33 am »
+2

JoaT + Feodum + Graverobber = :D
A man on a mission.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2012, 10:50:10 am »

Rules question! I play village cultist cultist. Do I have an action available to me? The ways I see it are

2) Yes village gave you 2 you played a cultist for one and as part of cultists resolution you got to play another

2)

Yes, you have an action. You did not spend an action to play the second Cultist.

Gansura

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2012, 10:50:25 am »

Don't have time to read the whole thread, so apologies if this was already brought up, but:

With Feodum around, will we get a rule clarification on whether Silvers (and, by extension, other money cards) are a pile that can/cannot be emptied?

Treasure card piles can be emptied and count toward the end condition. See, for example, http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2728.msg44273#msg44273.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2012, 10:50:49 am »
+1

This is clarified in the rules for the Base set of Dominion; Treasures have always counted as a pile that can be emptied, just like every other supply pile.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2012, 10:52:33 am »

Yes! KC-Cultist means that you are three times allowed to play another Cultist (no, not allowed to play three times, I see that).  That's a really flippin' allowed choice

Outside of Feoda being an awesome word, Donald has verified that the plural of Ruins is Ruinses.  Brilliant.

Verified I assume meaning declared, the idea being that Ruins as the name of a card is construed as singular.
By the same logic you could say that you played four Goonses in a turn. (Do we say that?)
I suppose the distinction could be that there are different types of Ruins cards, thus a need to refer to the various types collectively as Ruinses - sort of like the cactuses/cacti thing.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2012, 10:53:17 am »
+7

2)

Yes, you have an action. You did not spend an action to play the second Cultist.

Pedantic man is here!

It depends on how you choose to play it. When you play the first Cultist, you now have the option to play another Cultist, as a part of resolving the first Cultist. If you do, then afterwards you will still have an action remaining from your Village. But, you could also choose to not play the Cultist as a part of the "you may" clause, and then play a Cultist because you have an extra action from Village. In other words, simply saying "I play Village, Cultist, Cultist" is not enough information to know if you have another action.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 20 queries.