Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages Preview #1: Graverobber, Poor House, Sage  (Read 157973 times)

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages Preview #1
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2012, 02:17:26 pm »

I'm sure if you play Village, Black Market, some treasure, and then Poor House, the Poor House could eat into coins generated by the Treasures already played.  This is clearly a challenging card to use correctly, which I like.  I mean, it's probably easy to tell what kind of deck it thrives in (Treasureless, preferably with +Actions, of course), but possibly tricky to play out in any one turn optimally.

I don't see that being a big concern since the Black Market will have already gotten the treasures out of your hand. Under most circumstances that just means you save Black Market and Poor House to be the last actions you play. It only really becomes an issue with draw-to-x cards (And I guess maybe Menagerie or Shanty Town).
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2012, 02:17:55 pm »

2/5 SPLIT

OPEN PH/IGG

Look at all the Coppers I give.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2012, 02:20:09 pm »
+1

2/5 SPLIT

OPEN PH/IGG

Actually... IGG decks are one of the few situations where Poor House's "a hand with me is guaranteed $4" quality might actually be really nice.  Poor House-IGG-Estate-Curse-Curse is another IGG.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2012, 02:28:10 pm »
+1

Also, how is nobody but me crying just thinking about a Sage/Sea Hag opening? Cycle your deck super-fast, get lots of plays of Sea Hag in, have both of you be unable to get over $2 or $3 for half the game.

In the beginning this is great for getting your $4 in hand on turn 3. Sage/Sea Hag for example even if your oponent flipped your Sea Hag.

I also try to come up with some nice interactions with Graverobber.
I'm not sure but Mining Village+Graverobber may be no super-combo, but could be lots of fun:
Play Mining Village #1, trash it for $2, play Graverobber gain it and put it on top of your deck,
play Mining Village #2, draw Mining Village #1, trash it for $2, play Graverobber ... you get the idea.

Also, Graverobber+Inn anyone?
Trash Inn for a Province. Get it later back with Graverobber for the the nice on-gain effect where you may draw them together again. Repeat.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2012, 02:31:08 pm »
+2

2/5 SPLIT

OPEN PH/IGG

Actually... IGG decks are one of the few situations where Poor House's "a hand with me is guaranteed $4" quality might actually be really nice.  Poor House-IGG-Estate-Curse-Curse is another IGG.

Holy crud, Poor House-IGG-anything is another IGG.  Because you don't get the extra Copper from IGG until after you play Poor House.

Insanity Wolf has a point.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2012, 02:36:52 pm »

Cross-posting.

Written before reading any other discussion, of course. :)

[..]

After reading the thread, I think Graverobber+University would be a really neat combo (for getting lots of $5 actions to trash) and TR/KC-Sage would be kinda nice.
Okay, sure, Graverobber may have some nice combos, but it seems very specific to me in that it needs a combo partner. A card like Mountebank or Witch doesn't need a partner at that price point. But then again, I haven't seen the rest of the cards.

I'm anxious to see what's behind the curtain.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2012, 02:37:53 pm »

One thing no one has noticed about sage: say you open sage/X. If you draw sage and X together on turn 3, you will fail to find anything. This makes it a little worse as an opener, though not quite as risky as opening double terminal.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2012, 02:39:11 pm »

Cross-posting.

Written before reading any other discussion, of course. :)

[..]

After reading the thread, I think Graverobber+University would be a really neat combo (for getting lots of $5 actions to trash) and TR/KC-Sage would be kinda nice.
Okay, sure, Graverobber may have some nice combos, but it seems very specific to me in that it needs a combo partner. A card like Mountebank or Witch doesn't need a partner at that price point. But then again, I haven't seen the rest of the cards.

Sure, but no one said that Graverobber is the best $5 in the game. It's more fair to compare with more moderately powered $5s.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2012, 02:39:54 pm »

One thing no one has noticed about sage: say you open sage/X. If you draw sage and X together on turn 3, you will fail to find anything. This makes it a little worse as an opener, though not quite as risky as opening double terminal.

This makes it worse than Scheme, but still you have a decent chance to get either X or Sage in turn 4.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2012, 02:39:57 pm »

But, like, who cares? Cause you got the card you wanted anyway, without Sage. That's like complaining that your Menagerie won't activate cause you have two Platinums.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2012, 02:40:43 pm »

I don't understand why people are saying that Sage + Counting House is a good combo. Sure, if you have 2 Sages in your hand and nothing but Sages and a Counting House in your deck, you can discard all your Coppers and play Counting House. But, if you only have 1 Sage in hand to start a turn, there's just as good of a chance to reshuffle your deck and have Counting House be near the top. Plus, once you buy a Province, Sage starts hitting that instead. I think we'll find Sage + Counting House is more of a nombo than a combo.

Moved this here because the other thread wasn't the right place for it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2012, 02:44:05 pm »

In the preview post, Donald described DA as the "crazy combo" expansion.  While we've had power cards that don't need a partner, I expect a great deal of the cards in DA will need partners, and they will be AMAZING with those partners.

Donald also called DA the "Johnny" expansion.  Johnny is all about winning with creativity and flair.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2012, 02:53:47 pm »
+1

KC-Sage seems like a pretty powerful drawing engine.

Disagree here. KC/sage gets you three cards, which are guaranteed to be not coppers or estates good, and the actions to play them... but it only nets you a gain of one card, and you used up a KC. Not that great of a drawer - you exchange one amazing card and one meh card for three cards which are at least meh or might be good.

It would work if you don't have villages and need KC/cantrip to be your village, but other than that, I'd rather use my KC plays on something else, I think.

RiemannZetaJones

• Thief
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2012, 02:55:42 pm »

In the preview post, Donald described DA as the "crazy combo" expansion.  While we've had power cards that don't need a partner, I expect a great deal of the cards in DA will need partners, and they will be AMAZING with those partners.

Donald also called DA the "Johnny" expansion.  Johnny is all about winning with creativity and flair.

This is very true. Graverobber increases the space of things you can try to do in the game in a big way. I hope, and sort of expect, we'll see some cute trick decks built around it. For instance, the synergy between Apprentice and Graverobbers seems promising.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2012, 02:56:05 pm »

idk, when I'm using KC in a drawing engine I usually have more than one in my deck. And I use the first one to find the others and the best targets for them. Sage would help that.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2012, 02:56:52 pm »

I love how Sage + terminal silver (Monument, Militia, Swindler) actually make buying silver very bad.  ;D

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 06, 2012, 02:59:41 pm »

I'm thinking Poor House is getting a bit overrated. Outside of an engine, its effect is basically the same as Secret Chamber, which is far from a power card. In an engine, it's fairly similar to Harvest later on (as a terminal giving up to $4), but much worse early on to compensate for its cheaper cost. Harvest is not a great card.

Poor House should be better than SC and Harvest, but even so...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:00:44 pm by blueblimp »

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 06, 2012, 03:05:32 pm »

I'm thinking Poor House is getting a bit overrated. Outside of an engine, its effect is basically the same as Secret Chamber, which is far from a power card. In an engine, it's fairly similar to Harvest later on (as a terminal giving up to $4), but much worse early on to compensate for its cheaper cost. Harvest is not a great card.

Harvest is not a great card because it costs $5.  I would not be surprised if it cost $3, opening Double Harvest would be as good as double-masq.
A man on a mission.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2012, 03:09:10 pm »

PH has the potential to stack much better than PH, because it doesn't require discarding.  Playing two SC back to back is useless.  There's no point in TR/KC SC either.

I think the main thing that people are missing is how difficult it will be to make PH work.  But on the boards where it does work, it will be amazing.

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: DividedSpy
  • Respect: +279
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2012, 03:13:29 pm »

I love building treasure-free decks whenever it’s feasible, so I really like Poor House. PH will combo amazingly with Vineyard for several reasons:
- Good Vineyard decks get money from action cards, not from treasure
- You don’t need any cash in your deck to get Vineyards, just a potion
- You can stack lots of PH’s for cheap to help pop points out of Vineyards, and use the PH money to buy more action cards.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:15:01 pm by Wolphmaniac »

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2012, 03:13:52 pm »

Well, poorhouse is one of those things which will really shine when you hit its niche - a treasureless engine. I agree that it would be pretty useless outside of that. But four poorhouses is all you need for consistent double-province turns.

And since it costs 1, four poorhouses is actually a reasonable number to get. Sure, four Harvests can get you double-province, but you have to use four $5 hands to get it.

Open Workers Village/Chapel, you'll have a deck with three WV, four poor houses, and one chapel in no time at all. If you open, like, Remake/Steward in a game with a village on the board, that'll also get you there super-fast.

...actually, in general, I think that the presence of Poorhouse and some sub-$5 village is going to encourage faking a chapel opening - opening with two weaker trashers if chapel isn't around. Remake/Steward. Moneylender/Steward.

PigFiend

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2012, 03:39:57 pm »

Open Workers Village/Chapel, you'll have a deck with three WV, four poor houses, and one chapel in no time at all. If you open, like, Remake/Steward in a game with a village on the board, that'll also get you there super-fast.

...actually, in general, I think that the presence of Poorhouse and some sub-$5 village is going to encourage faking a chapel opening - opening with two weaker trashers if chapel isn't around. Remake/Steward. Moneylender/Steward.

I was thinking similarly, like Remake/Chapel or even Chapel/Chapel.
Nomad Camp/a village card and a Chapel
Even the ordinarily perilous Mint/Chapel. The lucky turn 3 and 4 draws are, funny enough, 1 Copper each.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:45:00 pm by PigFiend »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2012, 03:43:44 pm »
+2

Volt, I see your wolf and raise you a wolf.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 06, 2012, 03:44:05 pm »

Harvest is not a great card because it costs $5.  I would not be surprised if it cost $3, opening Double Harvest would be as good as double-masq.
PH is bad early though, worth around $1 average, unlike Harvest which would normally be a terminal Silver. (Not that I really think double-Harvest would be a good opening, anyway. Harvest/Silver, maybe.) By the time it becomes good, you're limited more by +actions and room in your deck, and PH is a terminal that does nothing apart from giving coin.

Terminals that do little apart from giving coin (or equivalent) tend to be situational at best or outright weak: Harvest, Chancellor, Counting House, Secret Chamber. (Merchant Ship can be pretty good, but its niche is big money, not engines.)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 06, 2012, 03:46:05 pm »

Actually, I did point that out in my analysis.

If you draw both in Turn 3, then you put your deck in your discard pile. Now on Turn 4, you have a chance to get Sage, your $4, and your Turn 3 purchase.

A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12  All

Page created in 2.264 seconds with 21 queries.