Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Resistance II: The Empire Strikes Back  (Read 31528 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
Resistance II: The Empire Strikes Back
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:46:40 am »

This is the thread for Resistance II

Rules of Resistance

Resistance is a mafia-like game of social deduction. There are two teams - one consisting of a number of Empire Spies (between 2-4 depending on number of players), each of whom knows all the other spies - and one team of Resistance members, who know nothing but the fact that they themselves are Resistance. The Resistance are trying to overthrow the empire by conducting three successful missions - each requiring the full co-operation of everyone on the team. The spies, on the other hand, want to sabotage said missions - if they can sabotage three missions, then the Resistance crumbles and they win.

At the start of the game, the leader is randomly chosen, as well as the succession of the leader. The leader's job is to choose a team of between 2-5 operatives (depending on number of players and mission number), to attempt the next mission. After the leader proposes his team, everyone (including himself) gets to vote yes or no to that proposal. If a majority say yes, the mission goes ahead with that team. Otherwise, leadership passes to the next person in the succession (this goes in a circle - the last person passes leadership to the first person). Voting is done simultaneously - to simulate that here, all votes will be sent via PM to the mod (that's me!).

Be warned: if 5 proposals fail in a row, for any reasons (plot cards can affect this, if they are being used), then the Resistance fails due to it's lack of leadership and the spies instantly win!

If the proposal passes, then each person on the mission can choose to sabotage or support the mission. Spies have free choice in this, and while they need to sabotage to win they might support as a strategic move. Resistance members MUST support the mission. After everyone has chosen, the results are revealed. In real life, this would be done with cards which are then shuffled and revealed. Here, I only need the spies decisions, all done via PM.

If a mission has even a single sabotage*, it fails and the spies get a point. If a mission has nothing but successes, however, it passes, and the Resistance gets a point. Regardless of if a mission passes or fails, leadership moves on to the next person. Whichever team reaches three points first wins.

*The 4th mission requires TWO sabotages to fail. The mission will succeed if only one spy sabotages.

We are using the Plot Thickens plot cards variant in this game

Plot cards are a deck of 15 cards which are drawn by the leader at the start of each ROUND (that is, the very first leader of the game, and then every leader after a mission only). 2 cards are drawn each round and must be immediately distributed.

here is a picture of the plot cards. These are the following numbers of cards:

No Confidence x3
Keeping a Close Eye on You x2
Opinion Maker x2
Overheard conversation x2
Strong Leader x2
Establish Confidence
In the Spotlight
Open Up
Take Responsibility

Deadlines

For the first leader in each round, the leader will have a 5 day deadline for giving out the plot card, and a 6 day deadline running concurrently to propose a team (the plot card must be distributed first). Missing the plot card deadline will result in a random person chosen, missing the team proposal deadline will result in a random team being chosen.

For the second and onward leader in each round, the leader will have a 5 day deadline for proposing a team.

Voting will have a 2 day deadline from the team being proposed. Failure to vote will result in a no vote being cast. Voting will end early once all votes are in and I have seen them all.

Missions will have a 1 day deadline. Only spies need to submit a decision for the mission. They may submit their choice in advance with their vote for the mission. Missions will never end early unless the game will end as a result of the mission - this is to protect the spies right to think in cases they need to make a non-trivial decision (e.g. both are on a mission). In the rare case of a spy missing the submission for a mission they will default to sabotage.

I will not wait for plot cards people have in cases they can be played, with the exception of Opinion Maker (see below). If you have a plot card, please leave CO (conditional orders) for when you want to use them. If you are very likely to want to use a plot card but need to see certain results to decide on whom (this mostly applies to Keeping a Close Eye on You) I will allow you to CO for me to wait for you on that.

If/when opinion maker is in the game, I will give a minimum of 1 day for voting after the opinion maker's vote has been cast. You may still wish to CO (conditional order) your vote depending on how the opinion maker does vote.

The role PMs in this game look like this:

You are a resistance operative

You win if the resistance succeed on 3 missions. You lose if the spies sabotage 3 missions

You are a spy

The (two/three/four) spies are:
W
X
(Y)
(Z)

You win if the spies successfully sabotage 3 missions. You lose if the resistance complete 3 missions

Finally rules. Shamelessly stolen and adapted from Axxle, who stole them from Mafiascum.

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings. This includes Spies!
3. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
4: You may talk at ALL stages of the game. This means during proposals, voting, and missions. There is never a period where communication is banned.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
1. Bold, blue text is reserved for the Mod.
2. No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography, or obscuring text in any way.
3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
5. Please bold and double hashtag ## all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed. This includes all final actions (giving out plot cards, proposing a team, public vote if you have Opinion Maker).
6. Prods of missing players will be issued automatically after 72 hours of no activity or upon request after 48 hours of no activity. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
7. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity.
8. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: Resistance II: The Empire Strikes Back
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:46:46 am »

The player order has been randomised. Leadership will pass down this list and loop back to the top at the end.
ftl
Cayvie
Robz888
Qvist
Axxle Imsomniac
Grujah
Galzria

(Current Leader is in bold as of mission 3.5)

Three of these players are spies. Four are Resistance.

---

This is the number of operatives needed on each mission:
Mission 1: 2 operatives Mission 1 SUCCESSFUL
Mission 2: 3 operatives Mission 2 SUCCESSFUL
Mission 3: 3 operatives Mission 3 FAILED
Mission 4: 4* operatives
Mission 5: 4 operatives

*Mission 4 requires TWO sabotage cards to fail. The mission will succeed if there is exactly one or no sabotage card.

---

Round 1: ftl drew the plot cards Open Up and Opinion Maker
Opinion Maker: Given to Galzria
Open Up: Given to Robz. Robz showed his character card to Qvist

Round 2: Robz888 drew the plot cards Take Responsibility and Keeping a Close Eye on You
Take Responsibility: Given to ftl, who used it to take Keeping a Close Eye on You from Qvist
Keeping a Close Eye on You: Given to Qvist, then taken by Take Responsibility by ftl. ftl used this on Galzria in mission 2.

Round 3: ftl drew the plot cards Opinion Maker and In the Spotlight
Opinion Maker: Given to Insomniac
In the Spotlight: Given to Robz888, used on Galzria, mission 3

Round 4: Cayvie drew the plot cards No Confidence and No Confidence
No Confidence: Not distributed yet
No Confidence: Not distributed yet

---

Mission 1.1 proposed by: ftl:
Team Proposed: ftl, Robz888
Voting YES: ftl, Robz888, Qvist
Voting NO: Cayvie, Axxle, Grujah, Galzria
Result: Yes - 3, No - 4
Proposal Fails

Mission 1.2 proposed by: Cayvie:
Team Proposed: Robz888, Qvist
Voting YES: ftl, Cayvie, Robz888, Qvist, Axxle, Grujah, Galzria
Voting NO: None
Result: Yes - 7, No - 0
Proposal passes

Mission 1 Results
Co-operating: 2
Sabotage: 0
Mission succeeds. Score is now Resistance - 1, Spies - 0

---

Mission 2.1 proposed by: Robz888:
Team Proposed: Robz888, Qvist, Galzria
Voting YES: Cayvie, Robz888, Galzria
Voting NO: ftl, Qvist, Axxle, Grujah
Proposal Fails

Mission 2.2 proposed by: Qvist:
Team Proposed: Cayvie, Robz888, Qvist
Voting YES: Cayvie, Robz888, Qvist
Voting NO: ftl, Axxle, Grujah, Galzria
Proposal Fails

Mission 2.3 proposed by: Axxle:
Team Proposed: Cayvie, Robz888, Axxle
Voting YES: Axxle
Voting NO: ftl, Cayvie, Robz888, Qvist, Grujah, Galzria
Result: Yes - 1, No - 6
Proposal Fails

Mission 2.4 proposed by: Grujah:
Team Proposed: Robz888, Qvist, Grujah
Voting YES: Grujah
Voting NO: ftl, Cayvie, Robz888, Qvist, Axxle, Galzria
Result: Yes - 1, No - 6
Proposal Fails

Mission 2.5 proposed by: Galzria:
Voting YES: ftl, Cayvie, Robz888, Qvist, Axxle, Grujah, Galzria
Proposal passes

Mission 2 Results
Co-operating: 3
Sabotage: 0
Mission succeeds. Score is now Resistance - 2, Spies - 0

---

Mission 3.1 proposed by: ftl:
Voting YES: ftl, Cayvie, Robz888, Qvist, Insomniac, Grujah, Galzria
Proposal passes

Mission 3 Results
Co-operating: 2
Sabotage: 1
Mission fails. Score is now Resistance - 2, Spies - 1

---

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:58:10 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:47:18 am »

The game has begun.

ftl is the current leader. ftl draws the plot cards Open Up and Opinion Maker. ftl has 5 days from this post to distribute these plot cards and 6 days from this post to make his first proposal.

(Useful link)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:54:28 am by Tables »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:43:10 pm »

Since I am a member of the Resistance, I volunteer to take the plot card Open Up. I will share my alignment with whomever the rest of the players deems best.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:06:40 pm »

Since I am a member of the Resistance, I volunteer to take the plot card Open Up. I will share my alignment with whomever the rest of the players deems best.
Shouldn't you be advocating giving it to a spy so we can catch them?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:08:12 pm »

Shouldn't you be advocating giving it to a spy so we can catch them?

I thought that this was a good way to confirm my Resistance status. We don't (and won't) have any idea who the Spies are until the first mission.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:12:51 pm »

When does Open Up resolve?

Anyway, is confirming Resistance really better than finding out spies?
And I agree that its best for all of us to pick whom to reveal the card to, whomever gets it.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 02:20:07 pm »

Alright, Opinion Maker is straightforward, if a bit random at this point.

Open-Up provides an interesting dilemma:

Asume two players, A and B, where A reveals to B:

A is spy, B is spy:

B claims A is Resistance - Most Likely
B claims A is Spy - Gains some Resistance cred for B: Risky Gambit though, outing a partner this early.

A is spy, B is Resistance:

B claims A is Resistance - Uhh, no.
B claims A is a Spy - Gains some Resistance cred, plus outs a Spy!

A is Resistance, B is a Spy:

B claims A is Resistance - A gains some Resistance cred
B claims A is a Spy - B gains some Resistance cred, plus puts out a false reading on A

A is Resistance, B is Resistance:

If anything but Resistance claims happen here I would go berserk. ;D

Given the above, we could only see "Spy" be claimed in 3 cases:

A:B

Spy:Spy - Not likely
Spy:Resistance - Always(?)
Resistance:Spy - Sometimes. WIFOM there.

The number of ways Resistance gets claimed seem much higher:

A:B

Spy:Spy - Likely outcome
Resistance:Spy - Sometimes. WIFOM there.
Resistance:Resistance - Anything else and I'll find whoever did this and punch them.

The end result of this is that it's mostly random, but I would be slightly more inclined to believe a Spy reveal over a Resistance one.

Is there an error in my logic? Obviously if ftl is a Spy he'll have an interesting choice to make on who to give it to. If he's Resistance he should randomly decide, seeing as he's faced with 6 unknowns all claiming Resistance (Yes Robz, I too claim Resistance) - Unless someone wants to admit now to being a spy? Grujah? Robz (it's not too late to change your mind!)? Anyone else?

ftl, I'm willing to be your choice, but if you're Resistance I suggest random assignment.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 02:37:18 pm »

And I agree that its best for all of us to pick whom to reveal the card to, whomever gets it.

Open up must be resolved immediately.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 02:49:39 pm »

Yeah, let the games begin. It's my first game, so I try to figure out how to play still.

To continue with Galzrias post:

If A is a spy and choose to open up to B, a resistance guy, that would pretty dumb. So he definitely chooses a spy, no matter what B is going to say.
Yes, B could say A is a spy, but that's risky, I agree. Most likely B would say that A is resistance.

If A is resistance he definitely chooses randomly. If B is resistance too, that's straightforward. If B is a spy, it's basically open I would say. He could say the truth to gain reputation or lie to get an advantage.

So I would say, let's give it to a spy. He will give it definitely to a spy. But who is a spy?? At least I know, I don't want the card as I'm resistance.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 02:50:11 pm »

Okay, give it to Qvist.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 04:35:12 pm »

I think both of these cards should be given to the same player.

I'll volunteer.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 04:57:26 pm »

## Sorry Tables, can I get this clarified a step further?

Does ftl have to assign them at the same time?

If he signs Open Up first, is it resolved before he assigns Opinion Maker? (I believe this is the case)

So: Can ftl assign Open Up, resolve, then assign Opinion Maker based on the results?

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 05:00:49 pm »

If the above is the case, ftl should assign Open Up, then resolve. If it's claimed that the revealed role is "Spy", then Opinion Maker should go to the "Spy".

If it's claimed "Resistance" was revealed, Opinion Maker should go to the person making the claim.

Mafia Record:

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 05:03:50 pm »

If the above is the case, ftl should assign Open Up, then resolve. If it's claimed that the revealed role is "Spy", then Opinion Maker should go to the "Spy".

If it's claimed "Resistance" was revealed, Opinion Maker should go to the person making the claim.

I like this plan.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 05:13:08 pm »

Yeah, I think if I can, I'll give out the Open Up first. Then probably give out Opinion Maker based on that.

I'm not sure I want to be promising something like that. I think I'd rather give Opinion Maker to a third person entirely, somebody who we have no information about, so we can get more information about them maybe? What do you all think

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 05:24:19 pm »

Okay, give it to Qvist.

Haha, so you do think I'm a spy? Only a spy could say something like that.

I like this plan.

I agree...

I think both of these cards should be given to the same player.

I'll volunteer.

You say that after I just pointed out the card should go to a spy?
As (s)he is the next leader it would be nice to have more information. So I agree here. cayvie should get at least the "Open Up".

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 06:00:35 pm »

## Sorry Tables, can I get this clarified a step further?

Does ftl have to assign them at the same time?

If he signs Open Up first, is it resolved before he assigns Opinion Maker? (I believe this is the case)

So: Can ftl assign Open Up, resolve, then assign Opinion Maker based on the results?

I don't have the rules available easily anymore, but unless someone can explicitly check and show otherwise, I'd rule that both Plot Cards must be distributed first. This is because, as far as I recall, plot cards are always fully distributed before their effects happen, and the effects then happen clockwise (leader order) in case of same-timing, starting with the Leader.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 06:03:28 pm »

OK, second thought - I think I should give Open Up to the 5th person in line. It's likely their team that will get accepted for Mission 1 if we can't agree on anything before that, that's how such things go, right? and if we find out he's a spy from the Open Up, we can just accept the 4th mission as our last resort instead of letting it go to a fifth.

Who he reveals the card to should be randomized. I'd certainly want to be the one to see it since I don't trust any of you and I know I'm Resistance, but none of you have any reason to trust me either, so I'll randomize. And we have to follow that, that one is important.

...I don't think that we find out who to give Opinion Maker due to the result of the open up.

If Spy is claimed, that just means one of the two is a spy, we don't know which. If Resistance is claimed, then that gives fairly little information immediately, though it'll be useful for analysis later, I don't think I could clear either of the two immediately. PROBABLY not the one who was described as Resistance - unless they're both spies! Which is also possible.

I think an opinion maker in round 1 should be used for gathering more information, and should go to a third person entirely.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 06:04:27 pm »

I don't have the rules available easily anymore, but unless someone can explicitly check and show otherwise, I'd rule that both Plot Cards must be distributed first. This is because, as far as I recall, plot cards are always fully distributed before their effects happen, and the effects then happen clockwise (leader order) in case of same-timing, starting with the Leader.[/color]
OK, I'll distribute both of them before anything is resolved.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 06:19:35 pm »

OK, second thought - I think I should give Open Up to the 5th person in line. It's likely their team that will get accepted for Mission 1 if we can't agree on anything before that, that's how such things go, right? and if we find out he's a spy from the Open Up, we can just accept the 4th mission as our last resort instead of letting it go to a fifth.

Who he reveals the card to should be randomized. I'd certainly want to be the one to see it since I don't trust any of you and I know I'm Resistance, but none of you have any reason to trust me either, so I'll randomize. And we have to follow that, that one is important.

...I don't think that we find out who to give Opinion Maker due to the result of the open up.

If Spy is claimed, that just means one of the two is a spy, we don't know which. If Resistance is claimed, then that gives fairly little information immediately, though it'll be useful for analysis later, I don't think I could clear either of the two immediately. PROBABLY not the one who was described as Resistance - unless they're both spies! Which is also possible.

I think an opinion maker in round 1 should be used for gathering more information, and should go to a third person entirely.

Like I said: From a Resistance perspective, I think you should randomly distribute Open-Up. I also think the person to whom the role is revealed should be random. If you're a Spy, which I can't trust you're NOT, how do I know you're not manipulating outcomes?

Even if you give it to the 5th person, if he comes up "Resistance", we still can't really trust him. If he comes back "Spy", that could be false as well. (See: Resistance reveals to Spy in my first post). So how does giving it there tell us anything noteworthy except that you wanted to pick?

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 06:27:12 pm »

Rereading Open Up:

It has the star in the bottom left hand corner.

This means that the leader (FTL) has to reveal HIS card to someone else.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 06:28:20 pm »

Rereading Open Up:

Oh wait, never mind. I might be wrong.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 06:30:49 pm »

Start at 6:45

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 06:33:37 pm »

Rereading Open Up:

Oh wait, never mind. I might be wrong.

Establish Confidence does what you suggested. Watch the Youtube video I linked there (all 10 minutes is good info)

Mafia Record:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14  All

Page created in 2.209 seconds with 19 queries.