Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Minimum Requirements for Fool's Gold  (Read 3868 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Minimum Requirements for Fool's Gold
« on: July 06, 2012, 03:31:33 am »

What's the minimum requirement that makes you consider going for Fool's Gold?

Do you need at least a +Buy to both get them faster and get more out of them?
Do you need a trasher to get more of them together or a drawer?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: Minimum Requirements for Fool's Gold
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:37:23 am »

If there's at least one of the following cards on the board: Margrave, Wharf, Mine, Mint, Remodel, Salvager, Spice Merchant, Nomad Camp, Council Room (some work of course better than other) and if there's no cursing attack on the board. So mostly 2 of the following TfB, +Buy/Gain, Card Draw

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:24:44 am »

I always at least consider going Fool's Gold.

Really it's less about what there is and more about what there isn't. If there are no alternative VPs or VP chips or super-fast-building engine (note that if the engine has +buy or +cards, those same cards also make Fool's Gold faster), Fool's Gold is a winning proposition. In addition to the stuff listed by Qvist, any terminal draw is pretty good with FG. It's not hard to find 2 FGs in a 7-card hand, even if you only have 3-5 in your deck. then you just need $3 from your other 5 cards to buy a Province.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:46:58 am »

I always at least consider going Fool's Gold.

Really it's less about what there is and more about what there isn't. If there are no alternative VPs or VP chips or super-fast-building engine (note that if the engine has +buy or +cards, those same cards also make Fool's Gold faster), Fool's Gold is a winning proposition. In addition to the stuff listed by Qvist, any terminal draw is pretty good with FG. It's not hard to find 2 FGs in a 7-card hand, even if you only have 3-5 in your deck. then you just need $3 from your other 5 cards to buy a Province.

This, and assuming I am not generating the $ needed for an engine part and the opponent is testing FG I'll buy FG just to reduce his access, to leverage them for buying power and also to gain golds in the province stage of the game.

If remodel (or any other $2+ TFB) is on the board FG is almost required because it's a no brainer upgrade from coppers and even curses.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:21:49 pm »

If there's at least one of the following cards on the board: Margrave, Wharf, Mine, Mint, Remodel, Salvager, Spice Merchant, Nomad Camp, Council Room (some work of course better than other) and if there's no cursing attack on the board. So mostly 2 of the following TfB, +Buy/Gain, Card Draw

You should add Embassy to your list. 9 cards keep 6 is some incredibly powerful drawing.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:32:50 pm »

Then the gained Silver is unhelpful to engine decks, the only thing that can race FG with dead draw that strong.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »

You should add Embassy to your list. 9 cards keep 6 is some incredibly powerful drawing.

Once you have the FGs you need, it's very good. But without +Buy, Embassy is just overkill IMO.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:46:32 pm »

Disagree.  Embassy makes your deck way more tolerant of Duchies, something FG decks tend to struggle with.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 09:13:26 pm »

Disagree.  Embassy makes your deck way more tolerant of Duchies, something FG decks tend to struggle with.

Embassy makes your deck way more tolerant of just about anything.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 07:18:25 am »

About the lack of +buy for Embassy, well, wouldn't you want to open with a cheap source of buy anyway so you can pick up more FG? I guess WV or Hamlet would be ideal.
Add Woodcutter? Herbalist is a nice enabler as well.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 02:42:53 am »

The problem is that Embassy with Silver is actually better than Embassy with Fool's Gold. 2 Silvers in an Embassy draw already basically guarantees a Provinces (you only need $4 out of the other 7 cards), so there is no real need for Fool's Gold, and the Silver deck ramps up to buy the Embassy faster.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.