Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: What card is worst for you?  (Read 17952 times)

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
What card is worst for you?
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:04:48 pm »
+2

I've managed to get a Win Rate given available > 1 with every card in Dominion.

Except one.

Cache, stupid card, I apparently have no idea when to buy you. -4.04 effect without is pretty damning.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
Re: What card is worst for you?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:13:10 am »

It's a decent opener, it's good with alt VP, it's an excellent buy with trader or watchtower in hand, and that's about it off the top of my head. It's not really one of the big power 5's, but in a BM type game the 2 Coppers aren't too damaging.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 01:15:00 am »

Treasury is my worst card. I think I got overwhelmed by it a few times when I was new to the game and have tried way too hard to do that to my opponents since then.

Incidentally, Cache somehow managed to become by 3rd best card by winrate given avail. It's not so bad in big money games, and the coppers can actually help when you're greening or swimming in curses.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:08:40 am »

Scrying Pool.  We either both go for it and my master plan blows up in my face or I think it's nonviable and my opponent proves me wrong.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 04:50:28 am »

In terms of win rate given available, it's apparently Margrave at 1.02.  That surprised me, as it's not a card I feel I have particular problems with (unlike Governor, who's lurking a few spots further up).  Looking further up the list, the bottom is heavily weighted towards Hinterlands, which suggests that there's a significant time factor involved: like most people I had a bit of a wobble when Hinterlands came out, and the general standard seems to have risen significantly since then.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 05:53:13 am »

Cache is a nice card, better than Contraband I think.

My worst card is... fishing village. I buy it too often instead of a silver...

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 07:20:53 am »

Surprisingly to me, Councilroom gives my worst card from (winrate where avail) as Mining Village. I still do better with it than the average player, it seems, but its my only <1.0 card.

I consider myself surprised by this as I always thought I used this card quite well, timing its trashing for cash very sensibly. Where it looks like I may have gone wrong is that I've been buying it way more than the average. Likely there have been a lot of times when I should have gone silver/silver and instead went mining village / silver.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 07:43:31 am »

My worst is apparently Throne Room.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 08:53:47 am »

Philosopher's Stone and Transmute.

Ironically, my win rate is favored for Alchemy cards.

I noticed that I stand a decent chance of winning if I buy Possession but I stand even better chances of winning if I do not.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 09:01:38 am »

Tactician. It.. just doesn't like me. It doesn't work for me, ever, and always seems to work for the enemy.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 09:25:37 am »

Tactician. It.. just doesn't like me. It doesn't work for me, ever, and always seems to work for the enemy.

Exactly. If I skip over Tactician, it's why I lose. If I buy Tactician, that's why I lose. It's my second worst card accoring to councilroom, only Noble Brigand is worse.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 09:32:01 am »

It's a decent opener, it's good with alt VP, it's an excellent buy with trader or watchtower in hand, and that's about it off the top of my head. It's not really one of the big power 5's, but in a BM type game the 2 Coppers aren't too damaging.

Strong(er) against cursers.  Especially "no one has any money" cursing like sea hag.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 12:52:28 pm »

Im also in the "bad with hinterlands category", 7 out of my 8 worst cards are from that set, with only hamlet being mixed in. Worst is silk, road, which i seem to buy too often. Still all above 1.00 though (yay). Hinterlands is also my weakest set
Intrerstingly, my best card is Pearl Diver with 1.49 winrate given available. cant really explain that to myself.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 01:28:37 pm »

It says my worst card is Mine. Which to me makes sense, I don't know exactly how to use it  ;D.

It also says my best is Caravan, which is kind of a surprise to me.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 02:18:34 pm »
+1

That means you are not buying it too frequently. In other words take this as  an indication that you should NOT increase your buying of this card over your typical pattern.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 02:44:05 pm »

Noble Brigand, by a country mile.  At first I thought "okay, better Thief, maybe I should try this", and lost with it, then I thought "nah this card is still garbage" and started to lose without it, often on the back of some early, lucky, Silver-stealing, and even now I'm trying to get a more nuanced picture of the card and not doing a very good job at that.  I mean, often it's irrelevant (and when other players know that too, which is usually, that evens the playing field), and when it's not irrelevant it promotes the sort of game I flail about with.  Also I sometimes pick it up as a desperation buy and that doesn't help.

There was a period where almost all of my "worst cards" were from Hinterlands, which is pretty common I suspect: we've had less time to get used to it, it upends/devalues a lot of traditional engine strategies in favor of decks that actually like Copper and Silver, some cards are very very tricky to use even in skilled hands (Develop, Mandarin) while others all too often lead to brainless, luck-heavy rushes (IGG, FG).  And the general level of competition on Iso has been steadily improving, so win rates are going to be down across the board.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:49:17 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 02:56:36 pm »

Have you picked up the player 2 reshuffle manipulation + 1/3 silver steal trick?  That's a large part of mastering the card I think.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 03:01:03 pm »

Have you picked up the player 2 reshuffle manipulation + 1/3 silver steal trick?  That's a large part of mastering the card I think.

...Huh, you're right it is a one-in-three chance at stealing Silver for p2 on Turn 1.  That's higher than I thought, for whatever reason.  Also edges the card into "too frustratingly swingy" territory, to be honest.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 03:16:59 pm »

Strangely, my worst win rate given availability is Chancellor, way down at 0.88.  I can't really fathom this as I almost never buy Chancellor (0.05 buys per game) and to the best of my recollection I don't tend to lose to opponents who buy Chancellor either.  So this leads me to conclude that either:

a)  There is something weird about boards with Chancellor that don't directly involve Chancellor.  Maybe the fact that I am only choosing from 9 cards rather than 10 causes me to make worse decisions, or my opponent better or something.  OR

b)  Randomness is random.  I shouldn't read much into my worst rated card and neither should you.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 03:19:54 pm »

Strangely, my worst win rate given availability is Chancellor, way down at 0.88.  I can't really fathom this as I almost never buy Chancellor (0.05 buys per game) and to the best of my recollection I don't tend to lose to opponents who buy Chancellor either.  So this leads me to conclude that either:

a)  There is something weird about boards with Chancellor that don't directly involve Chancellor.  Maybe the fact that I am only choosing from 9 cards rather than 10 causes me to make worse decisions, or my opponent better or something.  OR

b)  Randomness is random.  I shouldn't read much into my worst rated card and neither should you.

Your effect without is -2.75. Looks like you're losing when your opponents buy it and you do not :)
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 03:21:11 pm »

Yeah, but he has 65 games where it's available. Which means only a few and his stats are really swung.
For comparison, I have 830 with it, which is still not terribly stable, I don't think. But a lot more stable, anyway.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 03:28:36 pm »

My win rate given availability is 1.06 and I buy it more often than you (0.36).
I'm not a very good player so maybe I buy it too often, but I think you simply underrate this card.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 03:29:33 pm »

For me it's Hunting Party but that can be easily explained. I hate the Hunting Party stack and think it very boring, especially in a mirror match. Therefore I never play it and often get beat by it (it is one of the few things I don't mind losing too because I so hate winning with it that I am happy to have not played using it).

If I cared to play Hunting Party optimally (it still wouldn't be great because I was awful with it when I first started), my lowest would be Philosopher's Stone. I only buy it 28% of the time but my Effect With is -2.06 and my Effect Without is a marginally better -1.91. In other words, it doesn't matter what I do, if this card is in the kingdom I am basically screwed for some reason. And if I knew the reason I would be a bit better with it.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 03:48:31 pm »

My win rate given availability is only < 1 for exactly two cards.

Vineyard, which doesn't surprise me. I'm getting better with them, but for a long time, I was just clueless there.

But the other card shocked me: Monument! I'm terrible at Monument?? Also, Bishop and Goons are both in my bottom 10 win rate given availability. I guess I'm the world's worst VP Chip player.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 03:53:33 pm »
+1

I've been meaning to ask this forever.. how does one read the councilroom stats (for invidual cards)?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 04:04:52 pm »

My worst given available by far is Jester.  Which is one reason why it bothers me that O claims it so often! (in mafia)

I've been meaning to ask this forever.. how does one read the councilroom stats (for invidual cards)?
http://councilroom.com/popular_buys?player=MrEevee
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 04:10:48 pm »

Apparently the highest effect with for me is Thief. That's kinda cool, I guess. Noble Brigand is up there too.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 04:42:56 pm »

My worst given available by far is Jester.  Which is one reason why it bothers me that O claims it so often! (in mafia)

http://councilroom.com/popular_buys?player=MrEevee

I know that page.. what I dont know is how to read it.  :(

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 05:12:08 pm »
+1

It says my worst card is Mine. Which to me makes sense, I don't know exactly how to use it  ;D .
High level summary: don't, unless it's a Colony game.  In that case, you don't always want Mine, but if you do the goal is Mine Gold->Platinum, and that's what you should use to evaluate its effectiveness.  Any of the other transmutations should be considered consolation prizes.  (Corollary: you usually want to upgrade the most expensive Treasure you have in hand.)

The basic unit of account is "win points": you get one for every player in every game that you win.  Win rate is the proportion of maximum available points that you gain: if you only play 2 player and win half your games your win rate is 1.  Anything higher means you do better than random, anything lower means you do worse.

The "Win Rate given avail" column shows what proportion of games you win given that the corresponding card is in the Kingdom, irrespective of whether you or your opponent actually buy it.  The "Win Rate with" and "Win Rate without" columns split the games between those when you buy (or otherwise gain) the card, and the games when you don't, allowing you to separate the cases where you do well with a card because you know when to buy it and how to use it when you do, and the cases when you know when things can be safely ignored.

The "Effect with/without" columns are based on the same win rate data, but offer a picture of how you do with or without that card compared to some baseline.  I can never remember if the baseline is your performance overall, or how other people perform with the same card, and it would be great if someone could explain here.

The other columns are less interesting, and more self-explanatory.  Win rate given available is probably the most useful statistic (there may be a case for effect with/without, but it would be reckless to claim that when I'm not sure how they're defined).

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 05:36:13 pm »
+2

The "Effect with/without" columns are based on the same win rate data, but offer a picture of how you do with or without that card compared to some baseline.  I can never remember if the baseline is your performance overall, or how other people perform with the same card, and it would be great if someone could explain here.

The baseline is how you perform overall.

A positive "Effect with" means you win more games than your average when you get the card (presumably, that means you're good with it and/or correctly recognize when to get it). A positive "Effect without" means you win more games than your average when you skip the card (means you correctly recognize when the card is skippable).

A negative "Effect with" means you win fewer games than your average when you get the card; you're either buying it too often or not using it right when you do. A negative "effect without" means that you're skipping the card when you should get it.

(Of course, if you haven't played  that many games with any particular card, any of those "Effects" could also just be due to chance, since it's comparing against your average; if you have only a few games where you gained a card, your "effect with" is going to be determined entirely by those few games, and so won't be a reliable indicator of anything. And if the values are close to zero, from either side, positive or negative, that means it's not a big effect. )

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 06:17:32 pm »

Thanks qmech (and ftl), I get it now.

.. i seem to have 11 cards with negative winrate given available, farming village being the worst of them. i earlier thought i underestimated it, it seems i was wrong.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 07:04:25 pm »

That means you are not buying it too frequently. In other words take this as  an indication that you should NOT increase your buying of this card over your typical pattern.

Oh. Woops, must have been reading it wrong  ::). Thanks pingpongsam.

@qmech: When I play irl that's when I buy it too, but I'm still not so good with it
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:09:26 pm by Archetype »

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 07:11:17 pm »

I'm still not sure I've figured this out. I have high effect with for duchy estate and copper. What does that tell me?

hdu88

• Navigator
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 09:33:39 pm »

Mint is the only card where my win rate given avail is <1. What surprises me is that my win rate with Adventurer is 1.48 even though I get it twice as often as the average player.
"He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and then he wins."

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 09:46:06 pm »

I'm still not sure I've figured this out. I have high effect with for duchy estate and copper. What does that tell me?

It probably means that you're more likely to buy them in games where you're already winning, or where you have a strategy (such as Duke or Gardens) that hinges on them.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 09:50:49 pm »

Probably not too much. Strictly speaking, it means that when you buy duchy, estate, and copper, you do better than when you don't.

However, given what those cards are, I'm not sure what to make of it. All three of those COULD be cards that you buy in the late-game on a last turn when you're ahead anyway.  Or maybe you only switch to Duchy and Estate after you already have a few provinces, so if you're behind and losing you don't end up getting any, thus making a correlation appear there. 

Or it could be meaningful. Are you particularly good at games where you might want to get Duchies, Estates, and Coppers? Alt-vp games like gardens or SR, maybe IGG rushes, etc.

It's really hard to tell with the basic cards...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 10:04:32 pm »
+2

Once more, people are misunderstanding what effect with and effect without measure.
They don't just measure how you do with(out) a card compared to how you do on average. If that were the case, you would just look at your winrate with and winrate without.
They actually measure how well you do with(out) a card (controlled for how you do on average) in comparison to how well the average player does with(out) the same card.
This really needs to get in an FAQ somewhere.

Anyway, example to help illustrate.
My overall winrate is 1.19. If you look at how I do with smugglers, you see that my winrate with smugglers is only 1.16 (so sorta significantly below my average winrate), whereas my winrate without smugglers is 1.26 (significantly above my average). But my effect with is a positive 1.02, and my winrate without is a negative 1.24 (that's -1.24). What gives? Well, the average player, if you look at the overall numbers, has a winrate with of 0.90 and without of 1.12 (obviously, the average player has an overall winrate of 1). So while I don't do great with the smugglers, and I do pretty well without them, this is not as much the case for me as it is for the average player. The exact numbers also have to do with the standard deviations of these values (which is why you get massive massive numbers for the effect things when you have like 0 wins or 0 losses with or without some particular card. Which I don't have on anything anymore, after my half-billion games).

Hope that helps.

And please, FAQ this question. With a good explanation (I would imagine someone can do it more clearly and/or succinctly than I just did).

verikt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 10:23:55 pm »

WW They actually measure how well you do with(out) a card (controlled for how you do on average) in comparison to how well the average player does with(out) the same card.
So I'm doing better when I buy duchies and coppers than the average player? And duchies by 5?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 10:30:56 pm »

Most of my "bad" cards are from hinterlands.  Like WW, i've been mostly playing high level opposition lately, so my average win rate has gone down.  (I typically play +/- 20 automatch).

My worst card(s) that wasn't Hinterlands, were Alchemist and Lab.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 10:35:04 pm »

WW They actually measure how well you do with(out) a card (controlled for how you do on average) in comparison to how well the average player does with(out) the same card.
So I'm doing better when I buy duchies and coppers than the average player? And duchies by 5?
Well, 'duchies by 5' seems like a weird way to phrase it. But yes. You're ~5 standard deviations relatively more skilled when buying duchies than the average isotropic-er.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 10:38:16 pm »

My worst card is Forge which really comes as no surprise to me. How do you play Forge?

What did surprise me is that my best card given availability is a tie between Governor and Fortune Teller. (Governor with less uncertainty.) I really like Governor and generally do well with it, but Fortune Teller is definitely a surprise as I rarely buy it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:40:17 pm by gman314 »

verikt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 10:42:47 pm »

Then if I'm reading my stats right my worst card is trusty steed.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 11:08:06 pm »

Then if I'm reading my stats right my worst card is trusty steed.
Uh, you are not reading your stats right. That is an impressively low Effect With though.

verikt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 11:38:07 pm »

Uh, you are not reading your stats right. That is an impressively low Effect With though.
Yeah, isn't it? I guess at least half the time I take ts the other guy takes followers.
Then where am I supposed to look?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 11:39:10 pm »

Yeah, isn't it? Then where am I supposed to look?
If you want to just know what you're personally best/worst with, the best number to look at is generally win rate given availability.

verikt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2012, 11:42:11 pm »

Thanks WW
then that would be fools gold at 0.77 Maybe I'm not enough of a fool?

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2012, 12:00:22 am »

Possession...  :(

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 12:38:04 am »

Cellar   at .81 effect given available and city is close at .83. Someone else mentioned philosopher stone. I think the number one rule to philosopher stone is buy it if and only if its a cursing game

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2012, 04:08:47 am »

Envoy with 1.07.
While still > 1 I disregard Envoy too often in engine games.

Swindler is second with 1.09, but that's probably due to the inherent luck factor.
Swindling an Estate is sooo much worse than Swindling a Copper into an Estate.

My highest is Stables with 1.48. What can I say? I'm a Stable Boy. :P
Behind that is Jack, gotta love good ol' Jack with 1.46.

But to my surprise Horn of Plenty is up there with 1.46 even if I'm always troubled by it. Apparently less so than I thought.

And #4 is Develop, ha! Mostly because I recognize it's suckiness, my gain percentage is only 18.9%, lower than Herbalist!

So the worst card is Envoy (actually Archivist, but it doesn't count and I only used it in solitaire) as I'm too dismissive of it too often.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2012, 04:10:42 am »

Memory stirs: is this characterisation of Effect With correct?  When I buy King's Court my win rate is 1 standard deviation above my average.  When other people buy King's Court, their win rate is 2 standard deviations above their average (which I suppose must be 1).  Then my effect with King's Court would be -1?

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 04:15:07 am »

Well, if we're putting our best cards on here too:

Win Rate Given Available

3) Silk Road                      1.46
2) Chancellor                    1.46
1) Tournament & all Prizes   1.48

What's interesting to me is that Chancellor is the card I gain the least (9.4%), and Tournament is the card I gain the most (95.1%)!

she/her

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 05:09:31 am »

Well, I posted them only because I was surprised that cards I thought would be at the bottom were actually at the top and vice versa.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2012, 08:35:04 am »

My win rate given availability is 1.06 and I buy it more often than you (0.36).
I'm not a very good player so maybe I buy it too often, but I think you simply underrate this card.

It's more than likely that I underrate it and I could completely understand the statistic if I was frequently getting beaten by players using it (as I am with Horn of Plenty and Outpost) but I honestly don't recall ever losing a game where my opponent bought Chancellor.  I mean I'm sure it has happened at some point just through law of averages, but certainly it's a freak occurance.

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:21 am »

My worst 3:
Upgrade. This was a slight surprise, but I was pretty bad with this early on (not that I am great with it now).
Inn. No surprise there. I just can't get this to work well for me. Probably trying to fit it into an engine when it's just not a good enough source of actions.
Cutpurse. I don't know. I actually thought I was okay at figuring out when this was a good open. Maybe not.

Best 3:
Governor! I like this card and think I am pretty good with it.
IGG. I really like the nuances of the IGG rush.
Native Village. No idea. Best I can think of is from playing NV/Bridge well? I actually think I ignore this more than I should.

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2012, 11:19:25 am »

My worst 3:

Forge at 0.69. Probably because I don't know how to use it and so don't buy it. Then people smoke me by trashing tonnes of stuff for a Colony/Province.

Village at 0.70. I have no idea why I suck with this. For me the Villages are distributed throughout the list with Mining Village being my best.

Pirate Ship at 0.76. Probably because I buy it more than I should. Mostly when I went through a phase of liking it though.

My Best 3:

Fortune Teller at 1.50. This shot up yesterday because I used it effectively. I think that I really know when to buy this card and so am able to use it against my opponents. (Although, I don't buy it very often).

Governor at 1.46. I like this card and play it better than a lot of others at my level.

Third is a three-way tie between Merchant Ship, Smugglers and King's Court at 1.38. (Although, King's Court has a little less uncertainty than the other two). Merchant Ship I like to buy and take it more than others do which works to my advantage. Smugglers I think is up here because I don't fall for it as much as others do. I don't understand why King's Court is up here though. I have had poor experiences doing King's Court chains (Think KC apprentice and KC upgrade. :P). Although, I think players at my level buy it more often than they should in Province games.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:22:53 am by gman314 »

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2012, 11:32:46 am »

If the various villages are pretty evenly distributed, I bet that's probably just luck of the draw. There's a lot of villages which play similarly enough, and just by luck some of them would end up high and some would end up low. Especially since it's vanilla village...

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2012, 12:21:23 pm »

Yeah, the distribution's fairly even.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2012, 02:55:23 pm »

My worst card is cellar at .76.  I wonder why I have such a high number of cards below 1.  Perhaps because I have ~650 games?  I'm much better with some cards vs others?

Interestingly enough City is also down there, and I have methods of rationality in this round of Isodom, although I suspect this is because of my getting stomped with it once, then thinking it was the card to end all cards, then finally understanding.  I don't understand cellar though.

Although I don't understand why people dislike Tactician and Mining Village, they're my #2 and #3 best cards at 1.60 and 1.52 respectively.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2012, 04:28:58 pm »

My worst card, according to CouncilRoom, is Thief.  My best 5 are the Prizes, oddly enough.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2012, 12:00:51 am »

Possession...  :(
With ya there. :(
My best is...

Margrave?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2012, 07:18:52 am »

Not accounting for Hinterlands cards, since I just got back to Iso this month after having stopped playing here some time before Hinterlands came out, my worst card is :
Salvager ? I have a horrible Win Rate with and an accordingly bad effect with, so I guess I'm overrating it a lot. I'll think about that next time I want to buy it...

My best card is Militia. I always liked the card and I think it's slightly underrated, but that's still somewhat surprising to me.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2012, 11:36:10 am »

I mentioned earlier my worst card is Jester, but my best card is...
Border Village!  Love me some 2-for-1 deals.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

lowlife...

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2012, 07:49:34 pm »

On win rate given available on Councilroom.com:

Worst 3:
Goons (0.12)
Royal Seal (0.24)
Great hall (0.27)

Best 3:
Stables (1.45)
Alchemist (1.39)
Minion (1.18)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 3.038 seconds with 20 queries.