Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27  All

Author Topic: Newbie Mafia 7: Fish Mafia (Game Over - Mafia Wins Flawlessly!)  (Read 74185 times)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Mafia 7: Fish Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2014, 12:28:34 am »

Pretty enlightening stuff, Hydrad. Please, keep it coming!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2014, 12:35:37 am »

Pretty enlightening stuff, Hydrad. Please, keep it coming!

Sorry I'm terrible at the day 1 starting stuff. So I just kinda do whatever until wagons (usually on me in day1) or things actually start happening. Even though I'm annoyed that the wagon is on me again its starting to signal that we are moving out of the RVS stage which is good.

Unfortunately there is no real defense for me right now.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2014, 12:37:06 am »

You don't need a defense when there's no case.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2014, 12:38:13 am »

And L-2 isn't really close to being lynched so stop freaking out all the time.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2014, 12:42:35 am »

Ya I'm away L-2 is far away. I just wanted to make sure that people understood those rules since there are a couple new players. I know for my first game I didn't fully understand the gravity of voting people who were close to being lynched in day one. And last new mafia game we played I think someone accidentily hammered (ended up being scum).
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2014, 12:43:27 am »

Ya I'm aware L-2 is far away. I just wanted to make sure that people understood those rules since there are a couple new players. I know for my first game I didn't fully understand the gravity of voting people who were close to being lynched in day one. And the last new mafia game played I think someone accidentally hammered (ended up being scum).

edit: spelling :/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2014, 12:47:24 am »

Isn't it L-3 now? I originally jokevoted for Hydrad, then I changed my jokevote to Andrew.

I'm interested in seeing what happens though, so vote: Hydrad and now it's L-2 unless I'm mistaken.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2014, 12:50:51 am »

Isn't it L-3 now? I originally jokevoted for Hydrad, then I changed my jokevote to Andrew.

I'm interested in seeing what happens though, so vote: Hydrad and now it's L-2 unless I'm mistaken.

Ya looks like Qvist, you and ADK are voting for me. so L-2

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2014, 01:17:36 am »

Vote Count 1.1:

xpittip (1): AndrewisFTTW
silverspawn (1): Hydrad
Hydrad (3): Qvist, ADK, Awaclus
Not Voting (4): Hugovj, mpsprs, xxpittip, silverspawn

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Day 1 will end at 6:00 p.m. on November 10, 2014.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2014, 04:41:43 am »

I say let's lynch who we collectively think is the scummiest. Lynching me or ADK just because there's a slight possibility that we're scum is pretty much a random lynch. Let's start basing our votes on actual scummy behavior.

This is definitely to early to risk a hammer on Hydrad. Unvote

I agree with Andrew that all the talk about lynching someone who is a veteran player might be strategically reasonable is nonsense. We should just focus in finding out who is mafia and lynch him.

Why should we already test out what happens? Not everybody has even posted here yet. We should wait.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2014, 05:42:44 am »

So Hydrad panics. Well, there are two sides to that:
It could be he is a Townie, who is genuinely shocked that the vote goes to him. I don't think this is very logical though. I think a rather experienced (yep, there it is again) player like himself shouldn't get a reaction of total panic when he is three votes away from getting lynched. Or two, for that matter.
The more logical explanation would be that he really is a scum and he tries to save himself, rather desperately. I find it very striking Qvist does actually unvote. I see a clear link here: Qvist votes for Hydrad, his partner in crime. Hydrad signals that he should look out, Qvist listens. So, íf Hydrad is a scum, then Qvist could very well be his partner.

Furthermore, I think Andrew is also suspicious. He votes randomly for pushups, then he claims in his post directly after it that we should stop voting randomly. That's a bit contradictory. Besides, he says:
Very well, then why did you try to take the attention away from yourself earlier, when there weren't any votes on you, by saying that we should start looking for the scummiest player?
Also, when ADK accuses you, you start defending yourself by claiming ADK always says things like this and it shouldn't count against you?

Andrew plays very aggressively defensive, therefore:
Vote: Andrew

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2014, 06:15:52 am »

All roles and alignments are assigned randomly using a random number generator.

This is true for all mafia games on f.ds.

except bastard :)

Vote: Hydrad for being suspiciously fast.

vote: Awaclus, because I wanted to be first to vote for Hydrad

How do we know xxpittip isn't someone SS is going to control.
You don't. pit is my pet. see what I did there?

If we don't get any direct scumslips or other scummy behavior from anyone though, then I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that lynching an experienced player might be a good move. I'm not familiar enough with Mafia to say for sure if you're right or not, but at least what you're saying sounds plausible. Also, since an experienced player is less likely to make a mistake when playing as scum, in the absence of such mistakes, it makes it appear more likely that at least one experienced player is in the mafia.
I don't think that's correct, and it's definitely not how we do it most of the time. If a good player is town, he is usually a high target for scum to nightkill. if you lynch him, they don't have to do that anymore. likewise, if you don't lynch him, he might just prove his towniness by dying.

I say let's lynch who we collectively think is the scummiest. Lynching me or ADK just because there's a slight possibility that we're scum is pretty much a random lynch. Let's start basing our votes on actual scummy behavior.
Yea, agreed. Do you know that in my first real game, you were one of my biggest town reads, and you were also scum? gotta be careful.

I don't like this post. RVS stage is bad? why? you need something to base initial discussion on. I also don't see how mpspers post made him towny. I think that's easily something noob!scum could post

at least we agree on the noob!doens't!know!that!roles!are!distributed!randomly thing

in my first overall game, which was a bliz game, was got to be survivor, and I asked mali mi per pm if he assigned this role randomly, and he said yes, all roles are assigned randomly. so, it's plausible that a new town wouldn't know.

... actually hold on, a new scum wouldn't know this either. what are you saying? vote: ADK

please don't accidentally lynch me!

Just letting people know if you are the 5th one to vote for someone and didn't realize that you were the fifth you aren't really able to go back and "unvote" it saying it was by accident. So when people are L-2 or L-1 especially be careful when throwing votes around.

anyways back to me. Looks like I have a wagon on me. Well your all wrong because I'm town. and unless your scum you don't want to kill me. So its pretty obvious that you should vote for scum instead of me.

has anyone ever told you that you're cute?

for everyone else, this kind of freaking out would be a massive scum tell. but not for you. though, if you ever play somewhere where people don't know you, you should not defend yourself that much.

I agree with Andrew that all the talk about lynching someone who is a veteran player might be strategically reasonable is nonsense. We should just focus in finding out who is mafia and lynch him.

Why should we already test out what happens? Not everybody has even posted here yet. We should wait.

is this really your second game? that post doesn't look like it.

no, i already said Hydrad always pancis. why aren't you reading my posts?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2014, 06:17:15 am »

actually vote: pit until he shows up. being late is a scum tell.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2014, 08:18:20 am »

Very well, then why did you try to take the attention away from yourself earlier, when there weren't any votes on you, by saying that we should start looking for the scummiest player?
Also, when ADK accuses you, you start defending yourself by claiming ADK always says things like this and it shouldn't count against you?

Andrew plays very aggressively defensive, therefore:
Vote: Andrew

I wasn't defending myself I was clarifying that when ADK calls someone "nervous" like he often doesn it's misleading.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2014, 08:36:49 am »

vote: silverspawn

For a joke vote and a serious (?) vote in the same post, for saying "freaking out" is a scum tell (I disagree), for implying something about Qvist being reasonable, and for being rude to Hugovj for no reason.

mpsprs

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2014, 08:45:22 am »

Oh, and about this, in the end, are you more willing to lynch a newbie who could be showing signs of being scum but could also be a town player who's just making honest mistakes, or an experienced player who doesn't appear to be scum at all? At this point, I'm not saying that either approach is wrong, I'm just curious.

For the record, I'm the kind of person who's probably going to see connections and draw conclusions even when there isn't any conclusions to be drawn or connections to be seen myself.

This is a good question.  I think I'm the kind of person who will be very slow to draw conclusions, even when they aren't there.  I feel like everything will be probability based and my tendency I think will be to give extra weight to those  "but what if this instead..." type thoughts.  That means that you and I may well be at odds at points during the game, but I think that can be a good thing.  You can counter-balance my tendency to hem and haw, and I can counter-balance what from my perspective will seem like reading too much into shaky evidence :).

That doesn't answer your question yet though.  I think I would vote for a newbie with hints of scum tendencies over an entirely non-scummy vet.  Mostly because our number one goal is to lynch scum; that's how we win.  And this:

I don't think that's correct, and it's definitely not how we do it most of the time. If a good player is town, he is usually a high target for scum to nightkill. if you lynch him, they don't have to do that anymore. likewise, if you don't lynch him, he might just prove his towniness by dying.

also helps turn me off the "with no other lead, lynch a vet" idea.  Silverspawn essentially points out that there is value in not lynching someone who is clearly playing well (either strong helpful town or dangerous mafia) because the mafia's decision on who to nightkill will give us information on that.  That is to say, for a strong player, we may be able to read more into their survival to the next day than with a not strong or inactive player.  (In fact, I think it's the best response to my original question so far-thanks SS).

Finally, about the Hydrad L-2, I'm not worried yet.  I trust that even us new townies understand the value of a longer day 1 (information), and mafia won't hammer because that's just asking for suspicion.  But it's always interesting to see how people react.

Then Awaclus and I can argue about the conclusions we can or can't draw from that :)

xxpittip

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2014, 09:22:05 am »

xxpittip -> xxputtup -> xxpushups -> pushups

vote: pushups

Vote: AndrewisFTTW because I dont like pushups

(you can call me pit btw)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2014, 09:34:52 am »

liar

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2014, 09:49:59 am »

liar

Please include the name of the person you're quoting.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2014, 10:15:45 am »

liar

Please include the name of the person you're quoting.

I'm not quoting a person! Pit's post count says zero, but he just posted. it was a joke. get it?  :P

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2014, 10:16:33 am »

and as you can see, I did every quote in my first post the proper way. and yes, that was because of your post in the whatever thread it was thread.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2014, 10:17:18 am »

at least we agree on the noob!doens't!know!that!roles!are!distributed!randomly thing

in my first overall game, which was a bliz game, was got to be survivor, and I asked mali mi per pm if he assigned this role randomly, and he said yes, all roles are assigned randomly. so, it's plausible that a new town wouldn't know.

... actually hold on, a new scum wouldn't know this either. what are you saying? vote: ADK

In the first newbie game I played, a new player asked if roles were random, and it was a townslip. If the scum team was two newbies, they were probably surmise that they had been chosen randomly (or been told by the mod), and if it was a newbie and vet, they would have been told by the vet in their QT. There was some argument that the newbie had been coached to ask that question, but that's not a thing that really happens. Hence, I think that it points to Hugo probably being town.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2014, 10:20:50 am »

I disagree. You should definitely go back to voting for him.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2014, 10:23:33 am »

liar

This is not "proper" because there's no name attributes to the quote. I have no idea who said "Posts: 0".

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2014, 10:25:13 am »

liar

This is not "proper" because there's no name attributes to the quote. I have no idea who said "Posts: 0".
I posted this directly after Pit. this is his status

xxpittip

since when are you so obsessed with jokes anyway? that's totally out of character. it actually makes me want to

vote: Andrew
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27  All

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.