Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 350036 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1050 on: August 09, 2016, 06:26:01 pm »

Let's have another star wars discussion. we didn't have enough of those recently.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 09, 2016, 06:42:08 pm »

Let's have another star wars discussion. we didn't have enough of those recently.

If you want.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 10, 2016, 02:59:00 am »
+4

The odds of successfully navigating through the movie thread without hitting a Star Wars conversation are approximately 3,720 to 1.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 10, 2016, 08:45:15 am »
+3

The odds of successfully navigating through the movie thread without hitting a Star Wars conversation are approximately 3,720 to 1.

Well someone has to take the bait.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 10, 2016, 08:57:22 am »
+4

I like Star Wars, especially when Mal skillfully piloted the Jupiter-1 against the Cylons. Great movies!
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 10, 2016, 10:22:12 am »

I like Star Wars, especially when Mal skillfully piloted the Jupiter-1 against the Cylons. Great movies!

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 10, 2016, 10:49:31 am »
+4

Aw, c'mon, man, as Neo said in Episode 5, "Live long and prosper."
A man has no signature

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 10, 2016, 08:41:04 pm »

"Last night, Darth Vader came down from Planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out, that he'd melt my brain."

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 11, 2016, 12:17:55 am »

"Last night, Darth Vader came down from Planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out, that he'd melt my brain."
heavy

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1059 on: August 11, 2016, 12:15:08 pm »

I'd say they are approximately 90-93%.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1060 on: August 20, 2016, 07:13:58 am »

Has anyone seen Nerve? I'm considering seeing it because it has a somewhat intriguing concept, but somehow I worry that now that I know the concept, there's little point in seeing the actual movie. Is there, like, anything more to the setting of the film that gets more thoroughly explored during the movie or is it just the resolution of the things that were already presented in the trailer?

Any spoilers would be very highly appreciated.

EDIT: I went and saw it anyway. The answer to my question would have been that yes, it is just the resolution of the things that were already presented in the trailer. Furthermore, that resolution was also very disappointing. However, it had remarkably great music, good-looking visuals, some legitimately funny jokes and the action scenes were not as dull as I had expected. In retrospect, I certainly wouldn't pay for the film, but at least I don't particularly regret spending my time on it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 02:55:49 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: August 29, 2016, 10:53:48 am »
+1

So I saw Suicide Squad last Friday.

It's certainly not as bad as people are saying.  Actually, pretty enjoyable.  Just doesn't quite hit the mark.  It's fairly generic in its story line, plot structure, and unveiling of the story.  Lot of very standard action movie tropes.  And that's too bad, because the characters are the cool thing here; more time should be spent on the development.  But that's a big challenge since you have so many of them. 

I think Jared Leto was great, but the scenes didn't work as well as they should have.. it's hard to say why.  Everything with him felt very rushed.  Actually the entire movie felt very rushed.  Maybe a better director, or possibly cinematographer or editor, could have made it far better.  At any rate, Leto's Joker felt truly insane.. he was the first live portrayal I've seen that was just crazy for the sake of being crazy. 

It would have been cool if, before this movie, there was a Joker and Harley Quinn movie, like very dark and sinister, that focused on Joker corrupting her.  Like it wouldn't have been some standard action/superhero flick, where there's an origin story, then an introduction of a big baddie (or maybe big goodie in this case), then a triumphant victory over the adversary, with some lesson learned along the way thrown in.  Rather, a long psychological drama about descent into madness.  And it would have been so cool if it was never advertised as a DC/comic book movie at all, but rather as just some drama about a psychiatrist and her patient.. like the patient is never seen in any preview/set pictures/etc., and even not seen for the first half hour or hour of the movie.  Then there's a big reveal, hey it's the Joker.

Anyway, entertaining action flick, suffers from formulaic movie tropes, needed more character development, but hey go ahead and watch it anyway.  Visually, it was pretty neat. 

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 29, 2016, 10:57:42 am »

I do want to watch it, even though it will probably be awful.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 29, 2016, 10:59:56 am »

It's not awful; it's just really trendy to say how terrible things are, so people like to do that.

It's not high-caliber, though.  It just has parts that are good, and parts that are bad.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 29, 2016, 11:16:36 am »

Just saw Boyhood, thought it was fantastic.

Also just saw The Butler, fantastic as well.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: August 29, 2016, 11:18:18 am »

Boyhood was great.  Have you seen the Before Sunset/Sunrise/Midnight series?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: August 29, 2016, 11:22:00 am »

Not yet; I've always been a little interested in them, and now I'm really wanting to see them.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: August 29, 2016, 11:28:18 am »

Not yet; I've always been a little interested in them, and now I'm really wanting to see them.

I highly recommend them; they're among my favorite movies.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: August 29, 2016, 09:35:03 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festen

This is one of the most fucked up movies you will ever watch. It's one of my all time favorites, and I just watched it for the first time.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 29, 2016, 11:42:33 pm »
+1

Do you like Dogme95 in general or did you just stumble into it? I'm partially sympathetic to their efforts but haven't really gotten into it yet.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 30, 2016, 02:52:07 am »

I watched Snowpiercer the other day. I liked it quite a lot (except for a few scientific inaccuracies). The less you know about the movie, the better, in my opinion. But it has a lot of good surprises and some good directing too.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 30, 2016, 04:10:35 am »
+1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festen

This is one of the most fucked up movies you will ever watch. It's one of my all time favorites, and I just watched it for the first time.

I agree that this is a really good movie, but I haven't seen other Dogme95 movies either yet.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 30, 2016, 08:02:29 am »

I do want to watch it, even though it will probably be awful.

I think “awful” is a strong word for Suicide Squad, but I begrudge no one for saying it. It is definitely not a great movie.

Really, it’s the Deadshot and Harley buddy movie. The other villains were just set dressing, though one of them does serve a bigger (and greatly overused) role. It was like, why bother?

I didn’t like how the Joker was used. He served as great backstory for Harley (duh), but he was integrated too much into the main plot. I really could have done without that.

Deadshot’s story was more interesting than I expected. Of course, this is because Will Smith draws enough revenue that they’re going to base the movie around him, but he handled it well.

Harley did not annoy me as much as I thought she would. She still had her moments, but it’d be really easy to make her go too over-the-top, and I was glad that it didn’t get worse.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 30, 2016, 08:05:43 am »

I watched Snowpiercer the other day. I liked it quite a lot (except for a few scientific inaccuracies). The less you know about the movie, the better, in my opinion. But it has a lot of good surprises and some good directing too.

The science of Snowpiercer is laughable, but as you watch it, you realize that it’s not a sci-fi movie about believable technology and ecology. It’s a sci-fi movie about people and governments. Kind of Brave New World-ish in that regard. I enjoyed it immensely and found I didn’t care about the scientific inaccuracies.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 30, 2016, 10:15:32 am »
+1

Do you like Dogme95 in general or did you just stumble into it? I'm partially sympathetic to their efforts but haven't really gotten into it yet.

I watched one Dogme95 film in class, which was that one. After watching this one, I will probably be inclined to watch other ones in the future. I think some of the restrictions are silly, and that people should make whatever they want to make. But I did like that film for certain.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.